The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Aphorisms/Maxims/Heuristics Thread

Anything related to matters of the mind

AidenRafi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 1, 2017
Sydney
Heuristics - A heuristic is a mental shortcut that allows people to solve problems and make judgments quickly and efficiently. These rule-of-thumb strategies shorten decision-making time and allow people to function without constantly stopping to think about their next course of action.

These are my favourite kinds of learnings. I would love to start a thread where people can post heuristics they have learnt on their journey, whether personal or business related. Generally these are ah-ha type mental shortcuts you have created or have read.

I will start:

The greatest obstacle to living is expectancy, which hangs upon tomorrow and loses today.

To understand how something works, figure out how to break it.

A good man is warm and respectful towards the waiter or people of lower financial and social condition.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
ALWAYS BUY TOOLS BEFORE YOU NEED TOOLS.

I feel like this has to be said in caps lock.
Its only when you are stranded in a montain with a flat tire that your realize that 40-50$ for a tire pump is not expensive but is a good investment.

AidenRafi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 1, 2017
Sydney
ALWAYS BUY TOOLS BEFORE YOU NEED TOOLS.

I feel like this has to be said in caps lock.
Its only when you are stranded in a montain with a flat tire that your realize that 40-50$ for a tire pump is not expensive but is a good investment.

Yeah i like that.

I think it can even be a broader concept.

"Always be prepared for the potential downside risk of an event." (I am sure this can be summarised even better)

So if we are driving up to a mountain for a nice day out we are doing it for the upside.

Upside:
* the health benefits of being in nature
* getting your mind off work for a few hours.

Downsides:
* a flat tyre (have a jack and spare tyre ready)
* falling and hurting yourself while trekking (correct shoes and first aid bag)

Cheers

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
A good man is warm and respectful towards the waiter or people of lower financial and social condition.

You can even generalize that further: The way someone treats people who don't have a use for them tells you everything about their character and attitude without a mask.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Heuristics ties into logic.

You don’t wanna use something for decision making that doesn’t make sense.

The essence of logic is non-contradiction. A cannot be ~A(not A) at the same time. Axioms have a syntax and that syntax is mathematical. They use venn-diagrams in logic because consistency and non-contradiction is key.

Right off the top of my head here is a good axiom: In order for a business to survive and thrive it must be compatible at the macro and micro levels of utility and resource allocation.

Boom, hard to contradict and is intuitively consistent. Then you can use that same axiom to get other ones. Fastest way to think clearly.

stefanoesposito

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Feb 8, 2019
Naples, Italy
In order for a business to survive and thrive it must be compatible at the macro and micro levels of utility and resource allocation.
Nice axiom! It makes me think of Hermes Trismegistus' axiom "As above so below", which is valid on all life's contexts and levels.

stefanoesposito

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Feb 8, 2019
Naples, Italy
Heuristics - A heuristic is a mental shortcut that allows people to solve problems and make judgments quickly and efficiently. These rule-of-thumb strategies shorten decision-making time and allow people to function without constantly stopping to think about their next course of action.

These are my favourite kinds of learnings. I would love to start a thread where people can post heuristics they have learnt on their journey, whether personal or business related. Generally these are ah-ha type mental shortcuts you have created or have read.

I will start:

The greatest obstacle to living is expectancy, which hangs upon tomorrow and loses today.

To understand how something works, figure out how to break it.

I love Heuristics, years ago I created some aphorisms myself, here is one of them:

When everyone around you stinks, you probably haven't showered

The meaning is pretty clear: we usually tend to project on others our imperfections and shortcomings :)

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Failure is a feedback loop.

Ask the average person what the definition of failure is and you can bet they will have a tough time coming up with one. Definitions are important because they need be able to be distributed among other aspects of life. Again following the rules of logic, non-contradiction and consistent distribution.

Failure is a short circuit. Like in physics. When something is messed up electronically it’s probably a short between modules. This is a good analogy.

Here is my definition:

Definition 1: Failure is a short circuit between Meta-cognition, cognition and perception.

Very hard to contradict and we can derive all kinds of scholiums, axioms, propositions and definitions from this.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
How would you explain *idea that my intuition conjured* to the person I love.

I'll imagine having that conversation with this person and try my best to on-board them.

Then I'll imagine myself 10 years into the future of this idea, standing infront of a microphone, giving a speech to a large audience following the success of that idea - what are the tips I would give to a younger me when I first discovered the idea? What would I tell others is the essence of it all? What ended up being the real reason I succeeded?

This is a really powerful trick for me - my intuition reveals a million and one truths about myself to my conscious mind.

AidenRafi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 1, 2017
Sydney
How would you explain *idea that my intuition conjured* to the person I love.

I'll imagine having that conversation with this person and try my best to on-board them.

Then I'll imagine myself 10 years into the future of this idea, standing infront of a microphone, giving a speech to a large audience following the success of that idea - what are the tips I would give to a younger me when I first discovered the idea? What would I tell others is the essence of it all? What ended up being the real reason I succeeded?

This is a really powerful trick for me - my intuition reveals a million and one truths about myself to my conscious mind.
Nice! I use this type of visualisation a lot.

Now that i come to think of it, I actually use it more from a fatalistic perspective.

For example if I'm about to do something, I visualise the worst case scenario.

This helps with the whole idea of zero action due to anxiety.

It instills confidence, like I have already dealt with the worst thing that could happen.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
"Two boys are half a boy, and three boys are none."

(as related to farm-work)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.