The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone with experience selling software to organisations?

Singularity73

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 3, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi,
Someone has approached me from a large organisation and asking about using my web application in a corporate setting. They want to be able to use it having the data stored within the organisation so they can use proprietary content in the app.

I was thinking of selling a copy of the application (as in give them all the code under some T&C's) which they can setup themselves as I think this would be easier (for me anyway haha), but honestly I have no idea if this is the right move and how to proceed. I think it would be good to integrate some kind of 12-month key that they have to pay each year to renew, but I'm just throwing ideas out.

My app currently uses a 3-tier architecture: PHP backend, MySQL database and client-side JavaScript. However, what complicates things a bit more is I've been working on a new version (which is a lot better) which uses a new stack of technologies (Node.js) and would require a completely different setup so I think they would need to wait for this version to be released.

I have absolutely no experience setting up internal software for companies or whatever this requires and I'm wondering if anyone on here has done a similar thing and is willing to share their advice? I just have no idea what I'm doing and need some guidance xD

Side note: I'm still at uni as well, which is a right pain. Considering dropping out and pursuing this full-time if I can persuade my parents, but that's a topic for another post.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon G

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Nov 13, 2018
I have not sold software as a private person to organizations, but have long experience in working as a software developer and related roles, also participating in licensing decisions both as seller as a buyer. My advice is to prepare a few packages consisting of following components:

1) The software itself (with or without source)
2) Documentation (for internal support and/or end users)
3) Support (think about reaction times, pricing, how many hours per month/year etc.)
4) Training (e.g. 4-hour training for support staff, 4-hour training for end users)
5) Updates

You could, for example offer these three packages. The client has maybe something else in mind, but they serve as a nice conversation starter.
1) Software without right to modify, documentation, 4 hours of support per month, no training, 12 months updates for n $
2) Software without right to modify, documentation, 8 hours of support per month, one day of initial training, 12 months updates for 1.2 x n $
3) Software with right to modify, documentation, 16 hours of support per month, two days of initial training, 12 months updates for 2 x n $

When drafting a license agreement, you should make clauses for
a) where the software may be used (e.g. restrict the use for the particular company)
b) prohibition of reverse engineering if you don't want the client to modify your software
c) warranty, restriction of your liabilities
d) redistribution rights (you probably want none)
e) intellectual property rights
Disclaimer: this is no legal advice.

According to my experience, corporate clients often conveniently forget to renew licenses (often if someone notices the license expired, he doesn't care enough to tell somebody in charge of that) so I suggest using some mechanism to prevent that (without irritating the client).

Singularity73

Bronze Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Jun 3, 2018
United Kingdom
I have not sold software as a private person to organizations, but have long experience in working as a software developer and related roles, also participating in licensing decisions both as seller as a buyer. My advice is to prepare a few packages consisting of following components:

1) The software itself (with or without source)
2) Documentation (for internal support and/or end users)
3) Support (think about reaction times, pricing, how many hours per month/year etc.)
4) Training (e.g. 4-hour training for support staff, 4-hour training for end users)
5) Updates

You could, for example offer these three packages. The client has maybe something else in mind, but they serve as a nice conversation starter.
1) Software without right to modify, documentation, 4 hours of support per month, no training, 12 months updates for n $
2) Software without right to modify, documentation, 8 hours of support per month, one day of initial training, 12 months updates for 1.2 x n $
3) Software with right to modify, documentation, 16 hours of support per month, two days of initial training, 12 months updates for 2 x n $

When drafting a license agreement, you should make clauses for
a) where the software may be used (e.g. restrict the use for the particular company)
b) prohibition of reverse engineering if you don't want the client to modify your software
c) warranty, restriction of your liabilities
d) redistribution rights (you probably want none)
e) intellectual property rights
Disclaimer: this is no legal advice.

According to my experience, corporate clients often conveniently forget to renew licenses (often if someone notices the license expired, he doesn't care enough to tell somebody in charge of that) so I suggest using some mechanism to prevent that (without irritating the client).

Thanks for the advice Simon. Got some more questions :wideyed:

1). Will I have to find a lawyer to help me create the license agreement? If so, any advice how you find lawyers who aren't super expensive, I'm a student with little money...
2). Is it okay to just give them the software code and their IT department can set it up themselves? Or do I need to create some instructions of how to do it, or do I do it myself for them somehow?
3). Should the licence key automatically renew after 12 months, so they keep paying, or should it just stop working after 12 months and they have to manually renew it?

Sorry for all the questions haha

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.