The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone in the Car Detailing Business

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
THinking of openening a car detailing business. I did detailing for years in college and am thinking about opening a shop.

I'd like to speak to some folks who are currently in or have been in the business.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bosco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Dec 31, 2007
I was hoping to speak with someone with the fast lane mindset on this forum.

I going to check this link out as well. Thanks so much for passing it along.

TOLDUSO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Nov 29, 2008
New Orleans
There are several here, most of them operated along with audio/alarm shops. Those are typically the places that dont do well. On the other hand, there is one place that specifically does car washing and detailing that is in the more posh area of town. Right next door is a gas station and in between the two is a waiting area with a fancy little coffee shop. Its always packed at the car wash, and the people waiting (usually the pampered wife type) sit there and buy $6 coffee's and read the paper as they wait. Its a good setup for both businesses, but its all about the appeal and the location.

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
To take it a bit further than "a shop", I'd try thinking of ways to create a mobile detailing franchise as the ultimate goal. People who want to get into detailing themselves would be able to purchase a "kit" from your company to include trucks and/or trailers with all necessary tools, along with supplier account setup for materials.

Think Molly Maid for cars...that is where the fastlane principles would apply. You focus on advertising and automating...not buffing paint.

-John

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Beat me to it John!

I myself would like to do something in the auto-detailing in fact one of my first business ideas when I was 12to make money on the side washing/detailing cars, lol, I was gonna call it "Countach Cleaners", but unfortunately didn't have the direction and drive I have now so the idea died as just that, an idea :nonod:

But your idea is the fastlane thinking that takes a limited B&M business and turns it into an unlimited fastlane idea :coolgleamA:

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
Here in Salem Oregon we have "Bikini Coffee" shops. I've thought many times that a bikini car wash with hand car washes would be successful. Depending on the climate it may mean washing cars inside, maybe with a waiting room overlooking the wash area and a bar. Who wouldn't want to have a beer and watch women in bikinis wash their car?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
White8 said:
Who wouldn't want to have a beer and watch women in bikinis wash their car?
. . . um . . . Soccer moms washing their kid vans?

(lots more of these at car washes than guys in Murci's, y'know. ;)

-Russ H.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
To take it a bit further than "a shop", I'd try thinking of ways to create a mobile detailing franchise as the ultimate goal. People who want to get into detailing themselves would be able to purchase a "kit" from your company to include trucks and/or trailers with all necessary tools, along with supplier account setup for materials.

Think Molly Maid for cars...that is where the fastlane principles would apply. You focus on advertising and automating...not buffing paint.

-John

It's a good idea, but that market has become saturated enough to where I think getting in and growing would be difficult. Definitely have to have a twist on your business plan. Detail King was the industry leader when I was looking into this 9-10 years ago.

Roman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
I run an Aircraft Detailing Company,3 locations.

I would be happy to answer any questions, :coffee:

Justin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Mar 19, 2008
I would go UPPER market right off the bat. My roomate and I run a high end detailing business out of here and it does well. It is a second job for both of us and it takes him a very long time to detail but he loves it.

Proformance Detailing is the site. Shoot me a PM or post on here for more info. I do the photos and web work as well as advertising.

We don't run it as a fastlane business but that is on purpose. I would still love to offer any help I can.

Woody

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
May 5, 2008
Murray, UT
I run an Aircraft Detailing Company,3 locations.

I would be happy to answer any questions, :coffee:

wow that is a new one! I would like to hear more!

but i think detailing is a good idea. if you are personally going to be working every day by yourself, that might not be so fastlane. however, as others have suggested, if you can manage to set-up a franchise that could very well turn fastlane. maybe you could partner with a local gas station or coffee shop! i know in my area a local fastlaner owns a location with a Laundromat, a self serve car wash, and a small drive through coffee shop. he seems to be doing very well off and has an above average amount of customers.
as always, good luck with your ventures!

woody

Roman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
Well from What I have learned so far is aim for the sky,it earns great money,as long as you aim for frequency and perfection. Being known and trusted is a big thing as well.

my Business is slowly growing again, December wasn't as busy as it was in the fall or Summer, This isn't my Fastlane vehicle yet, I am using this company for good income and to gear me towards a Strong Capitol to another more Fastlane venture in the Aviation Industry.

I think its very important to aim big!

Did I mention I'm 17?

better believe it :smxF:

Woody

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
May 5, 2008
Murray, UT
Well from What I have learned so far is aim for the sky,it earns great money,as long as you aim for frequency and perfection. Being known and trusted is a big thing as well.

my Business is slowly growing again, December wasn't as busy as it was in the fall or Summer, This isn't my Fastlane vehicle yet, I am using this company for good income and to gear me towards a Strong Capitol to another more Fastlane venture in the Aviation Industry.

I think its very important to aim big!

Did I mention I'm 17?

better believe it :smxF:

17 here as well, but i'm trying to focus on e-business and e-commerce until I turn 18

but nice man! how in the world did you decide to start detailing airplanes? are they big commercial jets or private? do you employee many people?

sorry for going off topic, OP!

Roman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
17 here as well, but i'm trying to focus on e-business and e-commerce until I turn 18

but nice man! how in the world did you decide to start detailing airplanes? are they big commercial jets or private? do you employee many people?

sorry for going off topic, OP!

well I have a passion for aviation, this is my way of being in the industry that I love.
We mostly do a number of Private jets,such as Citation's, then we have a pretty big market with the general aviation prop planes.

I have a small group of people, we stay very busy =).

anything is possible

:smxF:

John Rose

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 27, 2012
Boise, Idaho
I been in the mobile auto detailing business for over 10 years. With the cost of fuel you need to market high end detailing, car washes is not going cut it. You make the most money when your not driving to you next job, so doing multiple cars in one location is best. I have added residential carpet cleaning which is more profitable than detailing. You can check out my web site if you like.

MOD NOTICE: Please read the forum rules. No self-serving links in posts until you've reached 50 quality posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Was my first busimess that supported me. I loved it! Made a good living but it was a job. Still love rubbing on nice cars but I just dont have one any more. Paid off and dented 06 xterra with 91k just doesnt cut the mustard for a show car. LOL

Im thinking maybe a bright metallic red CTS v is in order, im one good customer away! :D I want a garage first.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
I do just started an Auto Detailing business this year, its slow right now but I am getting what I used to get payed at my job even a little more and in way ! less hours. I have a questions for all you guys that did auto detailing, where can I promote my detailing business I do craigslist, backpage, googlemaps, yellowpages, leave business cards everywhere but this doesnt seem to be enough its still a slow ! Any suggestions ?

John Rose

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 27, 2012
Boise, Idaho
I do just started an Auto Detailing business this year, its slow right now but I am getting what I used to get payed at my job even a little more and in way ! less hours. I have a questions for all you guys that did auto detailing, where can I promote my detailing business I do craigslist, backpage, googlemaps, yellowpages, leave business cards everywhere but this doesnt seem to be enough its still a slow ! Any suggestions ?

1. Having a web site that is rank in the top three on Google.
2. Stay in contact with your customer with emails and post cards
3. Go business to business asking in person if anyone needs there car clean, RV parks, door to door, simi trucks dealerships etc.
4. Don't waste you money on yellowbook ads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona

Your business doesn't need to necessarily rank in the top three on Goggle worldwide, but make sure it ranks within your city. It doesn't really matter if you rank number 1 in Baltimore if your business is in Oakland.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I been in the mobile auto detailing business for over 10 years. With the cost of fuel you need to market high end detailing, car washes is not going cut it. You make the most money when your not driving to you next job, so doing multiple cars in one location is best. I have added residential carpet cleaning which is more profitable than detailing. You can check out my web site if you like [link removed]

You do realize that this thread has been dead for over 3 YEARS now, don't you?? Or are you just trying to promote / get backlinks to your site??

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
2. Stay in contact with your customer with emails and post cards
3. Go business to business asking in person if anyone needs there car clean, RV parks, door to door, simi trucks dealerships etc.
4. Don't waste you money on yellowbook ads.

Thanks

any other suggestions anyone ?

John Rose

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 27, 2012
Boise, Idaho
You do realize that this thread has been dead for over 3 YEARS now, don't you?? Or are you just trying to promote / get backlinks to your site??

The link was remove and I don't think I can gain anything from backlinks because this looks like a nofollow forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.