The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Anyone ever try/use MFG.com to find a manufacturer?

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
A place to get manufacturing quotes from multiple vendors.
Looks like something I did years ago.

Looks useful for machining, stamping, assembly, molding, and fabrication.

Manufacturing Quotes | Contract Manufacturers | MFG.com

upload_2018-11-12_8-23-45.png

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

• Admin
OP
OP
MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Bump. I'm guessing the answer is NO, but want to make sure.

Rivoli

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I've used ThomasNet in the past and found some really good suppliers
Thomasnet is a great platform for locating manufacturers in the USA, but you need to carefully read the filtering options before you start. If you search without care you might find suppliers that look promising until you discover they are a Chinese company whose Amazon listing has been added to Thomasnet.

I have never had any diffculty finding what I am looking for on Thomasnet, but it requires patience and a lot of people lack that virtue. There is also the problem that many US manufacturers can't be bothered even answering a request unless it includes a gold-plated carrot.

The ones that do answer will almost always be capable of handling your project, and willing to quote. That is why they answer, and the ones that don't answer usually can't do what you want, or are too busy.

IMO, GMC.com represents a tedious way of locating manufacturers because their system is designed to have buyers make a Request For Quote, and this involves a requirement to register. Registration is also a requirement before you are permitted to view buyer and seller ratings.

The presence of an RFQ system on the site, together with the massive number of Chinese manufacturers listed, has all the hallmarks of a Chinese B2B site, despite the Georgia address. The English is impeccable, so I might be wrong in this regard.

If you publish an open RFQ, be prepared for an avalanche of emails. You can bypass the RFQ system by copying and pasting the manufacturer's name and using Google, find their website, where you can choose to email direct.

There are limitations on the scope of searches, because the site is entirely geared towards the engineering industry and products.

I would choose Thomasnet every time for US searches.

Walter

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
-- HALLOWEEN SPECIAL STARTS TODAY! Get any of my courses at Udemy's current best price through Friday! Use code: HALLOWEEN Use any of the links...
Top Bottom