The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Find a Manufacturer/Developer for FastLane Ideas??

Idea threads

alankong

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 21, 2011
New Jersey
Hey all!

So I'm curious, how do people start up businesses when they want to invent and/or manufacture something? I've always been curious as to how people go about it because I have had ideas of inventions or food creations. I would google manufacturers to help me create it, but had little success.

So if a start-up wanted to create a prototype of an invention, how does one go about it? How do you find a manufacturer that would mass produce your product?

And if you thought of a food creation, how do you go about manufacturing it? Instead of having it be a giant start up cost to build your own factory, what are other ways to do it? To build your own brand without having to shell out millions for a factory.

Any ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Food is a tough industry. If you wanted to invent a new spoon, for example all you need to do is google spoon manufacturer and you will get many company from around the world. Then you need to go from there.

ItsAllMental

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
May 22, 2011
You can find contract manufacturers on The Thomas Register Directory.
ThomasNet® - Product Sourcing and Supplier Discovery Platform

There are companies there in all kinds of markets that have the systems and machinery in place to manufacture goods to your spec.

For example, if you want to make organic hair care products, just look for contract manufacturers in that industry. They have the facilities, raw materials and formulas all ready in place. All you have to do is contact them and tell them what you want. Some companies will handle small orders, others may only deal with large businesses. Shop around for the right company for you.

There are even contract manufacturers that just deal with packing your products. Some offer fulfillment etc...

Some words you might want to research on Google to educate yourself on this topic:

contract manufacturing
order fulfillment
fabrication
private labeling

Inventing is a whole other ballgame. I think Stephen Key is supposed to have some good stuff on that.

Good luck!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
It all depends on what the product your inventing is and how much you have to invest in it. Is it something cheap like a piece of plastic? is it something totally new and cutting edge that would require expensive parts and high technology? if its food, is it a recipe? or a utensil?

There's so many ways to go about it depending on what it is. If its something that will cost a lot of money to make then your best bet is to license it. If it's something cheap that can be mass produced then you can look into outsourcing it. But only if you have some money to back it up. No matter how cheap the product is, it's still going to cost you $$$.

I would recommend outsourcing to China since it is far cheaper then the U.S. I recently received a quote for a high quality double cavity mold injection for a plastic product for $3500. That would cost me over 10k in the U.S. They also have much cheaper labor. Their average worker gets paid around $300 per month compared to a U.S. worker making that in a few days. The only problem with outsourcing to China is that it is very easy for them to rip you off and you would probably have way too many headaches throughout the process.

If your serious about this, you can PM me and I will give you info on a guy I use who is a manufacturer's agent. Kind of like a middle man. He lives in the States but fly's back and forth to China. He knows how to speak with the manufacturer's and can pretty much produce any product you can imagine. I actually just had lunch with him yesterday. I would think someone like him will be your best bet if you are going to manufacture it yourself.

One thing I would definitely recommend before making any final decisions is to read a few books on it. Check out Stephen Key's "One Simple Idea" and Robert Docie's "The Inventors Bible"

Good Luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.