The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any trademark experts here? Need help.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
I am in the process of launching a product, and have peeked at "UPSTO" directory to quickly see if the name I want for my brand is available.
Let's call it "A A"

"A A" (the one I want) is dead, however "A-A" is live, as well as "AA"

Is "space" in the trademark name sufficient for it to be considerate different from similar names?
Am I able to see why certain name became dead?

I am in the process of getting a sample for my product to test the market, and as soon as that's done - I will register the name.

Any advice welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Are all of those names registered in the same category that you want to register in?
If so, the space is likely a no go, you are still likely confusing customers which is how it will be judged. PetDepot, Pet Depot, Pet-Depot
Walmart, Wal Mart, Mal-Mart

I wouldn't proceed based on what you have stated IF the categories are the same as what you want to sell in

BTW I am not a trademark expert, just trying to be helpful and this is not legal advise.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Are all of those names registered in the same category that you want to register in?
If so, the space is likely a no go, you are still likely confusing customers which is how it will be judged. PetDepot, Pet Depot, Pet-Depot
Walmart, Wal Mart, Mal-Mart

I wouldn't proceed based on what you have stated IF the categories are the same as what you want to sell in

BTW I am not a trademark expert, just trying to be helpful and this is not legal advise.

"A-A" (live) is in different category, but unfortunately the 2 below are in the same category (niche) as I am:

"A A" (dead)
"AA" (live)

Thank you.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
Bumping this up one time for more eyes to see.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
I am in the process of launching a product, and have peeked at "UPSTO" directory to quickly see if the name I want for my brand is available.
Let's call it "A A"

"A A" (the one I want) is dead, however "A-A" is live, as well as "AA"

Is "space" in the trademark name sufficient for it to be considerate different from similar names?
Am I able to see why certain name became dead?

I am in the process of getting a sample for my product to test the market, and as soon as that's done - I will register the name.

Any advice welcome.

A space isn't enough.

Is there a risk a buyer might confuse you with your competitor? Is there a risk the mark owner would THINK you are trying to confuse a potential customer?

Look, cute tricks (adding a space, adding a period, changing the spelling) aren't going to work. You can't start a car company and name it FOORD, FORDE, FOURD, FORD., FOR-D, etc. Ford Motor Company will shut your a$$ down.

Marks usually become dead when an owner doesn't renew them. Usually because they are no longer being used. Sometimes because the owner simply forgot to renew them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.