The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any Mentors?

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Okay so I've been extremely busy with school so I haven't been able to post as much as I did when I first joined, but I have an interesting question/proposition.

Watching the interview someone posted with P. Diddy I came to a realization...I could do the same thing that he mentioned...and I could do it right here on this site. :wtf:

What I'm saying is, I could really use a personal mentor...or 2...or 3. I'm very eager to learn and would welcome some extra attention and extra advice with open arms and open mind. P. Diddy mentioned washing cars and getting coffee to get into the music business and I'm willing to do whatever I need to do to improve my situation. I've already used this site to gather some motivation and attain some knowledge and advice...why not network a little more thorougly? I'd be extremely grateful if someone were to take me on as sort of a personal project and would do my best to not only NOT inconvenience you but actually be an ASSET to you.

A little bit about me:

I just turned 22 on Thursday. I live in South Jersey...about 10 minutes from Philadelphia. I'm intelligent and have been told on various occasions that I'm a fast learner. Most importantly, I'm eager and ambitious. I have an interest in Real Estate and this site has also peaked my interest in websites etc., and I'm sure a lot of other areas would appeal to me too if I was exposed to them so I won't limit any "mentors" out there to any specific field of expertise. So are there any successful people on this site that could use some help in someway and/or looking for someone to impart their wisdom onto? I'll provide my facebook page and if you want my AIM you can PM me.
Steve McCall | Facebook

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Feb 10, 2009
NYC
I am not sure if asking "can I be your mentee?" is the right approach on this subject. I think you should establish some kind of a relationship first. So look for interesting personalities in your business and perhaps your area and look for what they are doing. Conduct research. Next, think of what might help them with their most recent projects. Contact them, tell them what they did and that you are impressed by what you learned just by following their career (be sincere - if you dont like what they do, stay away). Then offer them your help and show them that you know, what youre talking about. Maybe you know someone who could be an interesting contact for them. Maybe youve seen a couple of articles or you know a great book (which is not famous so its less likely they already know it). Offer your help because you want to learn. Once you know each other a little better you can ask if they were interested to take this relationship a little further..
Thats how I would approach this. Give and it will be given to you.
But I dont have a mentor in the entrepreneurship/real estate field so other approaches might work better:smxB:

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Okay so I've been extremely busy with school so I haven't been able to post as much as I did when I first joined, but I have an interesting question/proposition.

Watching the interview someone posted with P. Diddy I came to a realization...I could do the same thing that he mentioned...and I could do it right here on this site. :wtf:

What I'm saying is, I could really use a personal mentor...or 2...or 3. I'm very eager to learn and would welcome some extra attention and extra advice with open arms and open mind. P. Diddy mentioned washing cars and getting coffee to get into the music business and I'm willing to do whatever I need to do to improve my situation. I've already used this site to gather some motivation and attain some knowledge and advice...why not network a little more thorougly? I'd be extremely grateful if someone were to take me on as sort of a personal project and would do my best to not only NOT inconvenience you but actually be an ASSET to you.

A little bit about me:

I just turned 22 on Thursday. I live in South Jersey...about 10 minutes from Philadelphia. I'm intelligent and have been told on various occasions that I'm a fast learner. Most importantly, I'm eager and ambitious. I have an interest in Real Estate and this site has also peaked my interest in websites etc., and I'm sure a lot of other areas would appeal to me too if I was exposed to them so I won't limit any "mentors" out there to any specific field of expertise. So are there any successful people on this site that could use some help in someway and/or looking for someone to impart their wisdom onto? I'll provide my facebook page and if you want my AIM you can PM me.
Steve McCall | Facebook

If you are serious with your request, then PM me. I always need promoters for new projects. Someone who can talk to journalists etc so as to get the message out. If you are naturally extroverted and like to talk to people then I guess my suggestion might be Christmas for you:).

You will essentially talk to journalists and give away freebies:). No hard sell per se, but it takes so much time to do though.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
If you are serious with your request, then PM me. I always need promoters for new projects. Someone who can talk to journalists etc so as to get the message out. If you are naturally extroverted and like to talk to people then I guess my suggestion might be Christmas for you:).

You will essentially talk to journalists and give away freebies:). No hard sell per se, but it takes so much time to do though.

Sent.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The purpose of this forum is to provide a "mentor" type environment ... there are dozens of successful folks here that are doing this, but just on a public scale. If you want to get engaged on a more personal scale, your best bet is to be a contributor and participant -- when people begin to feel they know you, then they are more likened to be receptive to a mentor/ee relationship. :)

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I'm in your shoes KK, it's tough to approach mentors b/c I feel like I don't quite have enough in return and that I'm doing it for my own development, which is a big no-no, make sure that your relationship is mutual and that you have something of value to offer, which as 365, fanocks and MJ stated can be as little as the genuine desire to learn about what they do and as long as you show that you're genuine then it's a WIN-WIN situation.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm in your shoes KK, it's tough to approach mentors b/c I feel like I don't quite have enough in return and that I'm doing it for my own development, which is a big no-no, make sure that your relationship is mutual and that you have something of value to offer, which as 365, fanocks and MJ stated can be as little as the genuine desire to learn about what they do and as long as you show that you're genuine then it's a WIN-WIN situation.

Exactly. I don't have much to give back at the moment except my eagerness to learn. My request is completely genuine. Problem is, I don't know exactly what I want to do or exactly what area I should be pursuing so I don't necessarily have specific people in mind that I should be targeting. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread like this and hopefully someone would decide to take me under their wing. Hopefully someone out there is as anxious to teach as I am to learn. Sooo I hope that also answers MJ's statement. I have been mixing it up with some people but I thought a more, direct, objective approach might peak someones interest who wanted a personal challenge.

So in short...I'm going to continue talking to everyone just as I have been but I also hope this thread receives a lot of attention and I get one or two people who really would like to mentor and help a young man improve his quality of living.

Thank you everyone :thumbsup:

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
ALSO...that's why I included my Facebook. I really like the "family" atmosphere that goes on on this forum so I figured I'd add my Facebook so people can feel like they know me a little bit better and that I'm serious about being involved in this community and the pursuit of its goals. I'll give back as much as I can and the more I learn the more I'll be sure to pass that onto someone else. Hopefully MJ and you all realize I am 110% sincere. Thanks again.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Knowledge Kick, I am assuming you are new to the boards. I am actually presenting on the topic of the mentoring process. If you can't get out to Phx., then look for the video's on this topic and much much MORE! If you are willing to work and learn, you are setting yourself up for success. It will be a long, tough battle...but you will reach your goals my friend!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
... I don't know exactly what I want to do or exactly what area I should be pursuing so I don't necessarily have specific people in mind that I should be targeting.

Why would I want to mentor a person that does not know where he wants to go? or what wants to do? I would be afraid of committing my time to work with you (it takes A LOT of time to mentor somebody) and then find out that, 6 weeks later, he decides this is not what he wanted to do and I just wasted my time...

If you can't get out to Phx., then look for the video's on this topic and much much MORE!
Well, that works IF there are actually videos from this year's meeting... we are stll having conversations about this topic... but... this is not part of this thread, so those that won't make it will have to wait until AFTER the event to see what we decided to do about videos.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey
Why would I want to mentor a person that does not know where he wants to go? or what wants to do? I would be afraid of committing my time to work with you (it takes A LOT of time to mentor somebody) and then find out that, 6 weeks later, he decides this is not what he wanted to do and I just wasted my time...

Well all I said was I'm not exactly set on one particular area of study. And isn't it possible for an entrepreneur to be involved with more than one area? I didn't make that statement to hurt my possibilities of finding someone to mentor me I actually said it to broaden my chances. I mentioned I'm already interested in real estate and e-business (websites, etc.)....so I'll go with those 2 for now because I'm 100% interested in these 2 areas. I have no intention of wasting anyone elses time or mine.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well all I said was I'm not exactly set on one particular area of study. And isn't it possible for an entrepreneur to be involved with more than one area? I didn't make that statement to hurt my possibilities of finding someone to mentor me I actually said it to broaden my chances. I mentioned I'm already interested in real estate and e-business (websites, etc.)....so I'll go with those 2 for now because I'm 100% interested in these 2 areas. I have no intention of wasting anyone elses time or mine.

That def. sounds a little better.

So, what do you know about RE? and e-business?

What can you do for a mentor so they want to teach you more?

what books have you read about those topics?

Any particular type of RE you have an interest on? SFHs? Apartment buildings? Retail? malls? office buildings? warehouses? land for development? Self Storage? rehabs? Flips?

Anything particular about e-businesses? Affiliates? dropshipping? traffic-based sites? content-only? SEO? programming? e-commerce sites? B2B? B2C? lead generation? blogs? forums? ZenCart? osCommerce?

And, yes, I'm just name-dropping here to give you a sense of how wide your request is so far... And you can learn a lot from this forum about each an every single thing I mentioned here.

By the way, have you done a search on "mentor" on this forum?
I remember there were a few discussions about this same topic.

Have you read the sticky threads on the General Business section? If so then am sure you found valuable information here http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...-common-mistakes-made-when-asking-advice.html

I think it is important that a mentee does some due diligence before hand. If you ask specific questions and have specific needs then people will be more willing to help, or at least that has been my experience.

Knowledge Kick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 16, 2009
New Jersey

SaraK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 25, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
I was thinking about this more, and some key points I have learned - and that I would want if someone was asking me to mentor them - are:

1. Is this person really serious? Will they TAKE ACTION and really use what I'm teaching them?

2. Are they going do their research and only come to me with questions they can't find answers to elsewhere or are they going to suck up a lot of my time with questions they could have learned from an internet search?

So I would advise that you figure out what you want your first venture/investment to be and get started on it. Learn as much as you can from publicly available sources. Then for those questions you can't find answers to and need a real person's advice, come to the "mentors" on this forum and in your community. You don't even have to say the word "mentor" - just ask a good question. Mentoring relationships can develop out of that.

Don't just SAY you're ambitious and eager, PROVE IT by getting started on something. Talk is cheap.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
SaraK, Rep++

Great points.

I strongly agree with your comments.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I've had people approach me in years past and there are some things that stick out...

I asked what someone could bring to the table, their answer pretty much summed up my intuition about the person.

I've college kids and even peers pick my brains and a couple are actually succeeding very nicely.... truth be told, though if someone wants help and they come and ask for it, then I am game

I learned a long time ago at the only "real" job interview I ever had when the owner of the company asked me what he could expect from me and what I could bring to the table that I needed to make sure that our ideas were aligned.... If I told him I wanted to learn everything I could from him so I can open my own businesses then it probably wouldn't have fared well. But I told him that I needed the experience to learn and expand for my own personal knowledge but I am willing to sacrafice a lot (in terms of energy and time). I don't think he cared about anything I said except that I was willing to give my left arm for him and his company....

another story: one of my warehouses used to be located in a "difficult" part of town where people would blatantly ask for money for "coffee" aka booze and I would tell them I never give money away. If you want money, sweep the driveway and pick up all of the trash on the block and I'll come back and pay what you've earned. Many times I would dish out 50 bucks after the whole block was cleaned up

last story: a guy came for a job even though we were not hiring. Came to my desk and he told me he was in a despondent position and wanted a job and that he needs a job badly. But he also would not accept charity for his family because he believed he could work and other people are better off with charity funds. This struck a chord with me on a personal level, but after I offered him an entry level warehouse job he quickly became one of the top tier managers for me....

prove your worth first to play the game.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 27, 2009
I am mentoring a couple of people who are interested in real estate investing. It takes a lot to groom someone the right way. You as a student can't bring any baggage you must come with an empty plate and a "healthy" appitite with a "willingness" to learn.

mjkentell

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 29, 2013
Online Mentor

Yes it is a great first step to get all the help you can when you are starting out as an entrepreneur. I am part of a community of helpful mentors. It is a state of the art earn whilst you learn system that can bring you fast results, so that you can start your business the right way.

You Can Work From Home or The Beach, or Your Home On The Beach

We Can Show you How With Our FREE Report [LINK REMOVED? WHO ARE YOU? INTRO?? DID YOU READ THE RULES?]

Exactly. I don't have much to give back at the moment except my eagerness to learn. My request is completely genuine. Problem is, I don't know exactly what I want to do or exactly what area I should be pursuing so I don't necessarily have specific people in mind that I should be targeting. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread like this and hopefully someone would decide to take me under their wing. Hopefully someone out there is as anxious to teach as I am to learn. Sooo I hope that also answers MJ's statement. I have been mixing it up with some people but I thought a more, direct, objective approach might peak someones interest who wanted a personal challenge.

So in short...I'm going to continue talking to everyone just as I have been but I also hope this thread receives a lot of attention and I get one or two people who really would like to mentor and help a young man improve his quality of living.

Thank you everyone :thumbsup:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Oooooh wee wow! When can I get started building my downline of like-minded mentors!?! We definitely needed this information to reactivate a thread that is over 4 years old.

Perhaps we can soon see the "Shocking video reveals that 'shocking videos' aren't actually 'shocking'!"

Mike39 reports everything -- but he hit this one! :) LOL.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Mike39 reports everything -- but he hit this one! :) LOL.

I am just in it for the spam points :thumbsup:

[video=youtube;9KAGwNtI26w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KAGwNtI26w[/video]

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Mike.

By the authority vested in me, I am awarding you 4,000 spam points for being the most vigilant member here.

I am then taking away 3,999 points for a few false alarms along the way.

Net? 1 spam point.

:yourock::thankyousign::welldone::spam:

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
How forum spam points work:
[video=youtube;GyvpL5YXyzg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyvpL5YXyzg[/video]

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Wow they keep getting sneakier. I think I have reported like 2 posts...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yes it is a great first step to get all the help you can when you are starting out as an entrepreneur. I am part of a community of helpful mentors. It is a state of the art earn whilst you learn system that can bring you fast results, so that you can start your business the right way.

We Can Show you How With Our FREE Report [LINK REMOVED? WHO ARE YOU? INTRO?? DID YOU READ THE RULES?]

LOL. User has requested to have his account deleted.

Gee ... I wonder why?

Request has been granted.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
Mentors are so key to early success.

Having the knowledge gained from recently closing two of my businesses (one was around for 18 years) and about to open up two new businesses I have unknowingly turned into my very own best mentor. I wish I had someone to lean on during difficult decision making periods who would've just shaken me by the shoulders and yelled "DO IT, NOW!!!"

The hard medicine of your very own mistakes will lead to success has proven true and strong, smart guidance is essential. If you can get a mentor, go for it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.