The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any BJJ folks on here?

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
I signed up for a trial this week, took two classes of BJJ and the package also has HIIT, boxing, takedowns and kickboxing classes. I just enrolled and bought a gi, I have my sparring gear from doing Krav. just hope my bad knee can keep up other than that I’m sold.

P.S. any advice besides ice wrap for bad knees? (Shitty meniscus, surgery when I was 17 left it pretty weak, unstable and easily swollen in general)

Good for you! You'll enjoy it. My advice (I don't know how old you are) would be to make sure you get a good warm up in prior to class starting. Get stretched, get your muscles warm prior to you getting suffocated and crushed.

Ive been looking into collagen supplements lately. Alot of guys at my gym do CBD oil, also, and swear by it for their knees

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Good for you! You'll enjoy it. My advice (I don't know how old you are) would be to make sure you get a good warm up in prior to class starting. Get stretched, get your muscles warm prior to you getting suffocated and crushed.

Ive been looking into collagen supplements lately. Alot of guys at my gym do CBD oil, also, and swear by it for their knees
I hear CBD also protects the brain and lessons chance of CTE

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
jits may have saved my life, had a street fight and managed to defend myself, had I not had a million fights in the gym I can't imagine things would turn out to well for me.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I wonder if that Krav Maga would serve you well for BJJ. Let me know how it goes.

I have another tournament early March. Not entirely ready yet, but I'll probably never be.

I was hoping it would, I was playing in my mind we do this high five thing to say "go" and I was thinking how I could turn that into an explosive pull/lock to bring them down before they knew what truck hit them xD but again that was just me imagining stuff.

I'm 30, my left knee had an arthoscopy when I was 17 (meniscus tears from Volleyball) and after a few years I'm sure I got more tears on whatever I had left so it gets sore easily. The winter isn't helping either. I'm coming back from a 6 month or so lazy period in which I didn't work out at all so I'm taking it super easy because I'm stiff and out of shape like MF. I did notice that, especially with the Gi as you start to sweat and be hot all my joints are way more cooperative, and I've started putting collagen powder in my first water bottle of the morning (had it sitting forever and never consistently use it) and I think it may be having a good effect too (it's my first week so far). I also ordered a knee wrap that holds gel packs for hot/icing from Amazon to ice it when I get home. We'll see where I'm at with all that in some time if I am consistent.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
I hear CBD also protects the brain and lessons chance of CTE

I want to research more about CBD. All the 30-40 year old guys in my gym discuss it, but I don't know enough about it yet to add my two cents.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
I want to research more about CBD. All the 30-40 year old guys in my gym discuss it, but I don't know enough about it yet to add my two cents.
I heard the above from an interview of an ex-pro footballer who owns an interest in a CBD place.

I want to try it, too. Another anecdotal thing I heard was when a friend about my age and a tri-athlete used CBD once and his feet quit bugging him on long runs. I just gotta buy to try it and don't want to get ripped off.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I have another tournament early March. Not entirely ready yet, but I'll probably never be.

Got 3th place in my categorie but it was BRUTAL. Competing is so much tougher than fights in training and it's why I recommend everybody.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Got 3th place in my categorie but it was BRUTAL. Competing is so much tougher than fights in training and it's why I recommend everybody.

View attachment 30918

Got my next competition coming up soon.

NO GI.

Last time i competed with a fat pad impingement and managed to still get one win, hopefully i do alot better this time.

I will post pics of how i went, maybe some video....but only if i do some impressive shit.

:p

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015

I know I need to compete eventually, but my 60 year old one stripe white belt a$$ really questions the wisdom of getting out there and risking running into an ego-fueled overly competitive dude half my age. I'm sure that there will not be any other competitors in my age bracket.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I know I need to compete eventually, but my 60 year old one stripe white belt a$$ really questions the wisdom of getting out there and risking running into an ego-fueled overly competitive dude half my age. I'm sure that there will not be any other competitors in my age bracket.

Just do it.

YOLO.

Heaps of you old bastard's compete at my gym :p

Yoga for pain relief is key.

I subscribed to this yoga for bjj thing above, but you don't need to plenty of good yoga stuff on YouTube.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
Just do it.

YOLO.

Heaps of you old bastard's compete at my gym :p

Yoga for pain relief is key.

I subscribed to this yoga for bjj thing above, but you don't need to plenty of good yoga stuff on YouTube.

Already taking a 1 hour yoga class twice per week. It almost feels like wasting time that I could be working or working out, but damned if it doesn't make my whole body feel great all day.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

Heal Piece

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Jun 25, 2019
USA
wow just found this thread. Been training for just over 10 years. Still train 3-4 times a week including teaching once a week. Got my BB from Demian Maia in June 2018.

Fun fact: Both times my wife went into labor I was in training and had to rush home after the 25+ missed calls.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
wow just found this thread. Been training for just over 10 years. Still train 3-4 times a week including teaching once a week. Got my BB from Demian Maia in June 2018.

Fun fact: Both times my wife went into labor I was in training and had to rush home after the 25+ missed calls.

That's an impressive bjj resume!

Tipoki13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 8, 2019
I'm a blue belt in BJJ and have my blue belt in Judo too. Both are great martial arts and compliment each other immensely. Too many BJJ practitioners have zero stand up grappling skills which is F*cking stupid imo. Anyway, I got caught in a kimura with a tough brown belt in Dublin and tore my labrum in my left shoulder and haven't recovered since. That was about 6 months ago. I have tonnes of injuries from playing rugby most my life so I struggle with training a bit. I'm only 24 too lol. Great martial art all the same and I'd recommend it to anyone interested. There's tonnes to be gained from it!

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
I'm a blue belt in BJJ and have my blue belt in Judo too. Both are great martial arts and compliment each other immensely. Too many BJJ practitioners have zero stand up grappling skills which is F*cking stupid imo. Anyway, I got caught in a kimura with a tough brown belt in Dublin and tore my labrum in my left shoulder and haven't recovered since. That was about 6 months ago. I have tonnes of injuries from playing rugby most my life so I struggle with training a bit. I'm only 24 too lol. Great martial art all the same and I'd recommend it to anyone interested. There's tonnes to be gained from it!

Ive discovered, as a former basketball player and someone now training in bjj and muay thai at 46, that my body heals/works better when I'm active, which at first seemed counterintuitive. When I have a layoff like this, and then eventually return, I get so many more aches and pains and strains than when when I'm training three days a week for three hours each. I truly believe our bodies are meant to be worn out, not rusted out.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
Ive discovered, as a former basketball player and someone now training in bjj and muay thai at 46, that my body heals/works better when I'm active, which at first seemed counterintuitive. When I have a layoff like this, and then eventually return, I get so many more aches and pains and strains than when when I'm training three days a week for three hours each. I truly believe our bodies are meant to be worn out, not rusted out.

I hope you are right. I am a 60 year old white belt currently experimenting with 4x per week training BJJ for one hour. So far so good.

Tipoki13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 8, 2019
Forgot to mention spider guard is great for tall people too! That's definitely an interesting outlook on it, it's some I would definitely be interested in trying out (although I can't for a while cos of covid). Honestly though, I'm not optimistic, both my shoulders are screwed and my left knee is beginning to buckle too

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
I hope you are right. I am a 60 year old white belt currently experimenting with 4x per week training BJJ for one hour. So far so good.

Awesome that you are training starting at 60! To me that is so much tougher than anyone outside of bjj understands. Stick with it! Just be smart-stretch, roll with non-spazzes, and know your limits to live to fight another day!

Tipoki13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 8, 2019
Forgot to mention spider guard is great for tall people too! That's definitely an interesting outlook on it, it's some I would definitely be interested in trying out (although I can't for a while cos of covid). Honestly though, I'm not optimistic, both my shoulders are screwed and my left knee is beginning to buckle too
I also went mad crazy at the start, like a lot of white belts do, I was training 6 times a week of bjj and 3 judo training sessions, my body couldn't keep up and everything seemed to fall apart after about 8 months. I got my blue belt pretty quick though, but I wouldn't recommend my strategy to other white belts

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio

I hate getting stuck in spider! lol I'm working on de la riva first

Tipoki13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 8, 2019
I hate getting stuck in spider! lol I'm working on de la riva first
For a 5'9 guy getting stuck in spider with a 6'5 guy is a nightmare! De la riva is a nice attack, when fighting off my back I mostly try to get into X guard. I'm definitely a guy who likes to stay on top though and put on lots of pressure

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
Awesome that you are training starting at 60! To me that is so much tougher than anyone outside of bjj understands. Stick with it! Just be smart-stretch, roll with non-spazzes, and know your limits to live to fight another day!

Here is one of my favorite quotes, one which applies perfectly for my BJJ situation and for this message board:

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now .

I do a little bit of yoga to keep from getting too tight, and do my own warmups in the gym. My team is a pretty tight group, no big egos. I make it clear that I am not interested in an all out war when I roll. Going from 2x per week to 4x per week has tremendously accelerated my learning curve.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Here is one of my favorite quotes, one which applies perfectly for my BJJ situation and for this message board:

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now .

I do a little bit of yoga to keep from getting too tight, and do my own warmups in the gym. My team is a pretty tight group, no big egos. I make it clear that I am not interested in an all out war when I roll. Going from 2x per week to 4x per week has tremendously accelerated my learning curve.

Yoga is a game changer for bjj performance.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
Yoga is a game changer for bjj performance.

Agreed. I was surprised at how much difference it makes for me. After a 1 hour yoga class I walk around all day thinking "Man, this feels good."

I resisted trying it because I don't particularly align with the yoga crowd and the hippy dippy yoga culture. But after reading enthusiastic endorsements from many BJJ practitioners I got onboard.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.