The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

And the oscar goes to ... (What?) - A Lesson of Success

Anything related to matters of the mind

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
We all aspire to be great, to create something, to make a mark in this world. It looks different for all of us. For some, it would be building a multimillion business, others want to leave the generation after in a better position; or perhaps being the best parents, leading by example.

Regardless of the path one is taking, regardless of the uniqueness of each endeavour, is there something we call can do to make it?

I think there is. And there is one individual - one of many - that showed us what is possible when you use the secret sauce: Kobe Bryant.

5 times NBA champion, 2x MVP, a Hall of Famer... and now, an Oscar winner.

All achieved through an unbelievable work ethic, an unwavering focus, a commitment to continuous improvement and an incredible resilience. Skills we can all develop.

A reminder for me to be patient, keep working on my craft, believing in me and putting all of that towards adding value.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
We all aspire to be great, to create something, to make a mark in this world. It looks different for all of us. For some, it would be building a multimillion business, others want to leave the generation after in a better position; or perhaps being the best parents, leading by example.

Regardless of the path one is taking, regardless of the uniqueness of each endeavour, is there something we call can do to make it?

I think there is. And there is one individual - one of many - that showed us what is possible when you use the secret sauce: Kobe Bryant.

5 times NBA champion, 2x MVP, a Hall of Famer... and now, an Oscar winner.

All achieved through an unbelievable work ethic, an unwavering focus, a commitment to continuous improvement and an incredible resilience. Skills we can all develop.

A reminder for me to be patient, keep working on my craft, believing in me and putting all of that towards adding value.

let's suppose that a major financial crisis hits america ( hint : this is close)

will his skills be still valuable ? no

nobody cares about playing basket ball anymore in this case. people care about saving their as* , not watching entertainements.

real valuable skills are skills that will be needed anytime ,anywhere

like manual labor. medical knowledge and so on.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
let's suppose that a major financial crisis hits america ( hint : this is close)

nobody cares about playing basket ball anymore in this case. people care about saving their as* , not watching entertainements.

Complètement d'accord. If it comes down to survival, entertainment is useless. (Although if we are talking about the financial crisis, I am not too sure entertainment will lose that much value, but a discussion for another day)

So will be many other sought after modern skills.

I am afraid I failed in communication my message clearly. I don't want to shine the light on Kobe the basketball player or Kobe the oscar storytelling winner. Rather his work ethic, his grit and his mental process. I believe those can be applied to almost anything.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am afraid I failed in communication my message clearly.

Maybe not.

Maybe many of us don't care about the Oscars so we can't comment on the story because we aren't aware of it. In terms of value, pop-culture is about as valuable to me as acid reflux right before turning into bed.

I believe those can be applied to almost anything.

Absolutely agree. We have the power to do great things.

For those who want to scream "genetics!" at Kobe (or any other BB player) genetics gets you to the starting line, but it doesn't win the race.

Understanding the journey of others, and how it wasn't easy or filled with "talent" can help you create your own.

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 7.47.11 PM.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
For those who want to scream "genetics!" at Kobe (or any other BB player) genetics gets you to the starting line, but it doesn't win the race.

Relentess, the book written by the trainer of Michael Jordan, and many other world-class athletes, had lots of insight into this. Highly recommended book.

MJ, on the best team in the country, still put in hours more a day of training than any of his teammates. Always the first in the gym, always the last to leave.

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal

Put yourself against Kobe in almost any competition and he will eat your lunch (all things being equal). He wasn't born an MVP, he's known as one of the hardest working athletes around. Kobe would practice from 5am to 7am...in High School! What were you doing at 5am in high school? Other professional ball players would say he was 2-3 hrs into practice while they were all waking up, he'd practice in the dark, he'd practice more injured than they would healthy, he'd practice without a ball, he'd play left handed when his right shoulder was injured. And as if ball isn't enough for him, he decided to learn about investing from a Billionaire investor:

"For the next few months my phone never stops buzzing in the middle of the night. It's Kobe, reading this article, checking out this tweet, following this guy, diving into this Ted Talk, diving into the Y Combinator Demo Day stuff. And I'm getting these texts, literally two or three in the morning, and my wife is like, 'Are you having an affair with Kobe Bryant? What is happening here?'"

Talent opened up the door, his work ethic made him a giant in his profession.

The guy retires a multi millionaire many times over, and decides to make a movie. 99% of people dream of retiring when they get rich, this guy has an insatiable hunger and is absolutely obsessed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.