The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Analyzing Landing Page Data Help Needed

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
I have a custom supplement that fills a specific need.

I am running targeted banner ads from websites/facebook pages that are involved in this niche. The banner ad displays a picture of my supplement bottle with some text. I get a 7% click through rate on all my banners.

Using clicktale and google analytics data I know some other data:

Bounce rate is between 0% and 10% for the last 30 days.

Average landing page engagement time is 2-3 minutes.

Watching clicktale recordings people are reading and scrolling all the way down the landing page.

*** However nobody is buying****

I have targeted traffic, landing page engagement, low bounce rate, banner ad displays the product that they are clicking on..

yet no orders.....?????? Well, averaging exactly .001% conversion rate....

Im stumped at what to check or do next.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
How much traffic are we talking about?

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
So far 1000 people, 1 sale

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
You've tried it yourself, right? Walked all the way through from banner click to successful checkout? If not, start there. I've been in that spot before, and found it was a cart glitch.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yup make sure everything works in different browsers/computers, etc. Also it may be your product/price that is the issue. If everything mechanically is working, try putting the product for free or testing the offer in different cases and see if you get orders. You need to start changing things to find out what the issue is.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
put a live chat on your site and ask people what is holding them back

could be hundreds of things... trust, price, value proposition, technical glitch... your main issue seems to be that there seems to be a disconnect between what you are offering in your ad and on your landing page.

Last edited:

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have three different ways to buy the product with multiple discount offers available. Ex: 1 bottle = $48, 2 bottles get one free, 3 bottles get 2 free... I offer a 100% money back guarantee thats visable.

I tested the cart and its working fine.

Only thing I can try at this point is lowering the price

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
I tried some other things like moving all other clickable links to the footer

putting in a more visual explanation of how the product works called "four tiered approach",

putting an actual picture of the label ( I realized that I have a list of ingredients and medical studies but no mention of how much of each ingredient was in the bottle)

and added a facebook like/share buttons in the header for more trust value

if those dont work will try to lower the price and see

if that doesnt work.... well... lets not go there..LOL

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
My guess would be your actual sales copy but it's hard to give specific advice without having seen the page but like throttleforward suggested - post it up in the INSIDERS's so we can take a look.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I just came across this new product Eben Pagan is launching but there's a 50 minute pre-launch video that might be of value to you. He projects some interesting ideas. http://launch.ebenpagan.com/accelerate

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
The banner ad displays a picture of my supplement bottle with some text. I get a 7% click through rate on all my banners.

Highly doubt that. You may want to check your traffic and make sure it isn't mostly bots or something, I know only of a couple of places where a 7% CTR is possible, and it won't happen with a "product shot and some text" banner.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Highly doubt that. You may want to check your traffic and make sure it isn't mostly bots or something, I know only of a couple of places where a 7% CTR is possible, and it won't happen with a "product shot and some text" banner.

yes sorry... was reading my banner ad analytics and its not 7% from everywhere but pretty much much more than my normal .58%-3% I get with other niches.

Here is just now for today only

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 17

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
I need a lot more information in order to make a diagnosis about what might be going wrong. People make a living fixing these things and creating landing pages that convert, so obviously it takes a lot of work in order to create a page that makes money.

First, where are you getting your traffic from? Each traffic source will change the conversion rate. SEO will be higher than ads but is a lot more unpredictable in nature over the long run vs. targeted ads.

You could be getting 1000 people, but 950 of those are crappy leads so they do not even matter and would not have converted even with an insanely well created landing page.

Andrew C

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Feb 25, 2014
Central Florida, USA
Since you mentioned that this fills a "specific" need, which sounds like a pretty targeted niche, I have a couple of questions:
  • Are you collecting emails so that you can market to these visitors that may have some interest?
  • What traffic sources are you SPECIFICALLY using to display ads (Facebook/ Adwords/ Bing etc)?
  • Have you compared results to using text ads?
  • Are you using remarketing pixels so they can see your banners repeatedly?
I know people are sometimes kind of reluctant to share details like this, but it's hard to give any help in a theoretical way without looking at real ad copy.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Since you mentioned that this fills a "specific" need, which sounds like a pretty targeted niche, I have a couple of questions:
  • Are you collecting emails so that you can market to these visitors that may have some interest?
  • What traffic sources are you SPECIFICALLY using to display ads (Facebook/ Adwords/ Bing etc)?
  • Have you compared results to using text ads?
  • Are you using remarketing pixels so they can see your banners repeatedly?
I know people are sometimes kind of reluctant to share details like this, but it's hard to give any help in a theoretical way without looking at real ad copy.

no emails collected as I know others that have one product supplement websites that do millions and none of them capture emails other than when someone orders.

traffic sources are from adwords display network, facebook, and niche blogs

no text ads only banners. I had adwords running search keywords specifically targeted to the product and the bounce rate was through the roof. With banners page engagement averages 2-3 mins

no remarketing at this point as I didnt see the need. People are interested in staying to scroll and read the website long enough that they should either click buy or come back to buy on their own later. I will look into this so thanks for the suggestion.

will sign up and post in the INSIDERS forum

thanks

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
no emails collected as I know others that have one product supplement websites that do millions and none of them capture emails other than when someone orders.

traffic sources are from adwords display network, facebook, and niche blogs

no text ads only banners. I had adwords running search keywords specifically targeted to the product and the bounce rate was through the roof. With banners page engagement averages 2-3 mins

no remarketing at this point as I didnt see the need. People are interested in staying to scroll and read the website long enough that they should either click buy or come back to buy on their own later. I will look into this so thanks for the suggestion.

will sign up and post in the INSIDERS forum

thanks

I hate to put it like this, but this is not how marketers think. Almost no one will buy your product the first time they see it. I had your exact mentality a couple years ago and I got nowhere. Collect emails, remarket, do whatever you have to do.

Those supplement websites that do millions with no email capture? 3 things. (1) Do they have a phone number on their site? (2) They probably do collect emails from somewhere and you might not know about it. For example, they might have ANOTHER site that they use to generate leads, and then they send the leads emails that link to the site that you know about. You could be totally looking in the wrong place. (3) They have likely been in the game for a while, so they know their customers' pain points, they know the language that will make them take action, they know their customers objections to buying so they can address them right on the sales page, they have their sales funnel tested out and dialed in. They know what works.

At this point, you do NOT know what works. Nothing wrong with this, everyone starts here. The quickest and easiest way to find this stuff out is to talk to your customers. Have a conversation with them. See what objections they have to buying. See what pain points resonate with them. Once you find those out, put them on your landing page. Tell them how you're going to solve their pain and address their objections to buying on your sales page.

This is super important and it'll help you avoid a TON of frustration: When you see an existing business that's crushing it, making tons of sales, all seemingly on autopilot (like the website you mentioned), this is the END RESULT of years of testing, talking to customers, honing the sales funnel (including lead gen, finding traffic sources, email captures, autoresponders, remarketing, addressing objections on the sales page, etc). You will NOT be here on day one, however, if you engage with your visitors, you can start to (1) learn this stuff and (2) make some sales manually. As you learn more, you'll be able to automate more and more of the sales process.

Hope this helps :)

Andrew C

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Feb 25, 2014
Central Florida, USA
EVEN IF you are sending a TON of VERY TARGETED traffic, it would be quite a challenge to sell even .001% on a "one-hit" pitch.
Most people weren't sitting there with their credit cards waiting to see your sales page.

It would make your marketing dollars go much further (based on your stats, are you paying $.25 per click, so 150 clicks cost you $37.50?)
With your product price point, you definitely need to lower the marketing cost so that you can even be profitable.

Have you looked at selling through affiliate networks?
Free sales reps, nothing to pay out of pocket.
Have you looked at buying solo ads in the health niche?
Because you are dealing with such a targeted market segment, perhaps you would benefit from the "social proof" of blasting to someone ELSE'S trusted list. I would expect that to be a better ROI dollar-for-dollar over "cold" marketing through banners.

There is much more information not being revealed about the traffic sources for those sites...
I am sure if you were to look through a service like whatrunswhere.com or something you could see exactly what the traffic sources are.
Or even searching their backlinks through google or something.

If they have a comparably priced product, paying the same rates for advertising, not building a list...
How would they be profitable?
They must be doing something else.

Andrew C

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Feb 25, 2014
Central Florida, USA
Funny I was writing this at the same time bernieshawn posted their reply.

At this point, you do NOT know what works. Nothing wrong with this, everyone starts here. The quickest and easiest way to find this stuff out is to talk to your customers. Have a conversation with them. See what objections they have to buying. See what pain points resonate with them. Once you find those out, put them on your landing page. Tell them how you're going to solve their pain and address their objections to buying on your sales page.

I was actually going to quote the entire reply, because it was golden.
Great suggestions.
Creatively surveying your niche customers is going to reveal what you may be missing in your advertising.
You might be highlighting benefits in your sales copy that mean absolutely NOTHING to the customer.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
installed a chat feature last 2 days.... invited clients browsing the website to see if I could help.

EVERYONE closed/declined the chat invitation..LOL

how exactly would I survey them with a chat feature that was suggested to be installed when NOBODY is allowing me to chat with them...LOL

Also I have had a phone number, address and social links on my website, testimonials, etc

thanks again for all the suggestions

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
1 million uniques per month -- strictly from Adwords search and display network paying huge CPC --- started in August, no years of hard work here

thats per spyfu, keywordspy, and whatrunswhere

one product, no email capture, no nothing other than adwords

http://tinyurl.com/malebhd

Last edited:

Andrew C

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Feb 25, 2014
Central Florida, USA
installed a chat feature last 2 days.... invited clients browsing the website to see if I could help.
EVERYONE closed/declined the chat invitation..LOL
how exactly would I survey them with a chat feature that was suggested to be installed when NOBODY is allowing me to chat with them...LOL
Personally, I have never really gotten sales from the live chat, it has been helpful for people who want support/customer service.

1 million uniques per month -- strictly from Adwords search and display network paying huge CPC --- started in August, no years of hard work here
thats per spyfu, keywordspy, and whatrunswhere
one product, no email capture, no nothing other than adwords
http://tinyurl.com/malebhd
I am assuming this is the competitor you have researched, this is not you, am I correct?

Belly fat reduction is definitely a hot niche, as we all know.

As a result, when you say they are paying "top huge CPC", they are paying upwards of $1.00 per click because the keywords in that niche are expensive...

So they are spending more than 1 Million bucks per month?

They would HAVE to be re-targeting their banners so that customer sees it everywhere they go in the google network.

1 million clicks paying top CPC with no email list building...
They are pissing money away if their product price point is similar to yours.

The reason may not be visible in the stats though..

Maybe they have a model that is set up to lose money on the front-end, that sets up the customer for a big back-end.

Maybe they have a distributor relationship that allows them to make more profit per sale...
but even if they made 100% profit on $67 they would be eaten alive on Adwords...

This is very interesting...

Why not BUY their product and analyze their entire funnel, since they are only capturing emails from buyers?

That might reveal their secret.

The one stat that we can't see is SALES.

What do you know about their sales numbers?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.