The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An 18 year and still in highschool

Apr 3, 2019
Australia
hi, I've read both of your books, and I really want to be an entrepreneur, but I'm still at school, and it's my 2 final years so the pressure is on me, should I finish school first and then pursue my entrepreneurship or drop out of high school already?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
For the marketable skills part, join your clubs and societies with more attention to soft skills.

You won’t find yourself joining art clubs (although they may have value in design skills), but maybe look into uniform groups (eg Scouts, Guides) that need logisticians, trainers, facilitators and strategists, or Leo clubs and engineer clubs.

Naturally, some student clubs will have politics you don’t like.

Ignore politics, and focus on serving the other members. Even if you have to do a lot of dirty work, do it. From Excel sheet wrangling, content creation for events, fundraising, do it.

Read books on what you don’t know and see if what they teach help.

Now on studies...

Even if you don’t like math and science subjects, study them.

You still won’t be able to run away from them even though you drop out of uni or school.

You need math for accounting, and science for product development.

Skills like programming, business modeling (statistics software) and even writing freelance articles on business products need math and science basics.

Basically, read the notes, practice questions without looking at the answers and repeat steps. At first, it will be time consuming, but when your brain gets into shape, you’ll finish of your studying faster. That is also the same way with starting a new business or skill.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
hi, I've read both of your books, and I really want to be an entrepreneur, but I'm still at school, and it's my 2 final years so the pressure is on me, should I finish school first and then pursue my entrepreneurship or drop out of high school already?
Work your a$$ off and go to Harvard.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
Society penalizes you hard if you drop out of high school. It's like having a felony on your criminal record. If things don't work out, you'll struggle to buy food. So yes, finish it.

zoeyallen6

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 29, 2019
California, USA
For now, this decision will not be right for you. First of all, study up to your graduation as you need a good education to go to a field. Your mind is not so developed right now that you can understand the external things well.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
For now, this decision will not be right for you. First of all, study up to your graduation as you need a good education to go to a field. Your mind is not so developed right now that you can understand the external things well.
Did you just complete a psychonalysis of this person through one single post ?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Just work hard and go the best university you can get into.

You are young and life at the stage about having options. In a good university you can find good business partners and good alumni investors easily.

You can then decide to pause your study in uni to pursue your business interest. Three years later if the business didn't work out you can always go back to school and finish your degree and get a job.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
Let's be a little real though... College is more of a party/vacation than it is learning marketable skills. It's 2019. If someone from 1920 was dropped into today's world they would be totally amazed how we have a box in our pocket that can give you the answer to any question you ask it, all information is at our fingertips. And then if you put them in one of our college classrooms, they would say "Wow! the only difference is the blackboard is now white!"

College may be right for some people, let him decide that. There's many options outside of going to college. I'd suggest at least finishing highschool though in case shit goes south, you don't have to go back when you're 25 and get a GED.

Make money while in high school though. Selling shit at school? mowing lawns? watering people's plants? buying stuff at goodwill and selling it on facebook marketplace? Find something that's very low skill and try to bring income from it. learn the skills of selling yourself/services/ or products to people no matter what it is that you're selling. This skill you will take anywhere you go in anything that you may end up doing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.