Falcon
New Contributor
Hey all,
I want to share my venture into importing and Amazon selling. I have no experience, no courses, and $1k to spend. I'm a 21-year-old recent grad in an 8-to-5 desk job. This forum has been a rich resource, so I want to contribute value however I can.
What's my goal?
Within a year, I want to hit $500/mo, then $1k/mo, then $4k/mo total by selling 2-7 products with Amazon FBA.
Why no courses?
I usually become paralyzed by endless research, and I'd rather put that money into inventory. For now, I'm reading all the free stuff I can get my hands on.
The one exception is @WalterHay's book, which I bought yesterday and devoured in one sitting. Phenomenally helpful. I highly recommend buying it just for a clearer roadmap of freight and customs services, and for some really streamlined advice on how to interact with Chinese suppliers. $100 feels noticeable to me, but it's essentially a textbook and well worth the cost.
Where am I now?
I brainstormed 120 keywords, then ordered these by search volume, competition, and ease of item production until I had 5 easy items to start on. Tonight I'll be making lists of suppliers and reaching out about whichever 2 items seem easiest and most cost-effective to obtain. I'm planning to check their catalogs for further inspiration and request sample orders of 100pcs each for 2-4 items. I'll use this batch to test the market and consider my item-development and branded packaging approach.
What are my questions?
1. I want to improve existing models. What does the back-and-forth about product design look like? What about simply getting your logo put on the item packaging?
2. I'm still foggy on what certificates and safety paperwork my product will need (my product is in jewelry and accessories).
3. Any resources/advice on the timeline for solidifying a brand identity (getting a logo designed, etc) and registering my business?
4. Anyone else want to share what their first order and FBA experience was like?
Thanks for joining me on the ride!
I want to share my venture into importing and Amazon selling. I have no experience, no courses, and $1k to spend. I'm a 21-year-old recent grad in an 8-to-5 desk job. This forum has been a rich resource, so I want to contribute value however I can.
What's my goal?
Within a year, I want to hit $500/mo, then $1k/mo, then $4k/mo total by selling 2-7 products with Amazon FBA.
Why no courses?
I usually become paralyzed by endless research, and I'd rather put that money into inventory. For now, I'm reading all the free stuff I can get my hands on.
The one exception is @WalterHay's book, which I bought yesterday and devoured in one sitting. Phenomenally helpful. I highly recommend buying it just for a clearer roadmap of freight and customs services, and for some really streamlined advice on how to interact with Chinese suppliers. $100 feels noticeable to me, but it's essentially a textbook and well worth the cost.
Where am I now?
I brainstormed 120 keywords, then ordered these by search volume, competition, and ease of item production until I had 5 easy items to start on. Tonight I'll be making lists of suppliers and reaching out about whichever 2 items seem easiest and most cost-effective to obtain. I'm planning to check their catalogs for further inspiration and request sample orders of 100pcs each for 2-4 items. I'll use this batch to test the market and consider my item-development and branded packaging approach.
What are my questions?
1. I want to improve existing models. What does the back-and-forth about product design look like? What about simply getting your logo put on the item packaging?
2. I'm still foggy on what certificates and safety paperwork my product will need (my product is in jewelry and accessories).
3. Any resources/advice on the timeline for solidifying a brand identity (getting a logo designed, etc) and registering my business?
4. Anyone else want to share what their first order and FBA experience was like?
Thanks for joining me on the ride!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
