The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have no experience and want to ask how to get experience

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I'm 15 and I want to get experience in the workplace and try to find ideas. My friends around me are working in restaurants like MacDonalds or KFC and other insignificant jobs. I was wondering what jobs or small business can I pursue to gain experience and network. I don't care about money( although I actually do), I just want experience in the market, workplace or the adult life of money. I have no experience in the workplace whatsoever, but willing to hear all of your opinions.

TLDR; 15yr old, no workplace experience, wants opinion on how to get experience/network either from jobs/ small business, don't care about money just experience and network

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Leech

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2022
Germany
if you dont care about Money just try out more Jobs. You are 15, you dont need the money, you can change Jobs every Month and get to know new people, youve got the whole Internet waiting for you there are baziilions of people just waiting for you to meet them.
If you want to be a Guitarist. Visit a Forum about Music
If you want to be a Mechanic. visit a Mechanic Forum
If you want to become a Millionaire. Visit www.thefastlaneforum.com

Its so obvious .
In Germany we say: "Du siehst den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht"
translated it means that "you dont see the forest because of all the trees"

Take a step back and observe.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The simplest 5 words that can explain a very basic idea of wealth that will serve you for years if you repeat it to yourself and think about it until you truly understand it:

"Profits are better than wages"

Things that produce profits: (any combination of those choices below in any industry combined with any type of business model are possible opportunities).

Selling products
Selling services

To people
To companies

Which are expensive
Which are cheap

etc. (lots of choices)

Apply CENTS principles to any ideas you have to weigh them and see which ones are best to pursue in theory. Then start testing them by trying to get sales.

When you have a problem, verbalize it and make it real. "How do I ____?" and then solve it with google, a book, asking someone experienced, etc. Come on here and ask for an experts opinion and we will help you.

In conjunction with all of this, build good habits. Lift weights on a regular schedule following a plan/program. Eat healthy. Read non-fiction relative to the business or industry you are interested about. Make a to-do list each night or each morning. Don't hangout with losers. Always seek new information and be curious. Say yes to opportunities.

No matter what stupid shit you do, do not judge yourself too harshly. You're 15. Adults are only better off because they're older. See yourself as great and you will take actions that will reinforce that belief and you will actually become great.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
if you dont care about Money just try out more Jobs. You are 15, you dont need the money, you can change Jobs every Month and get to know new people, youve got the whole Internet waiting for you there are baziilions of people just waiting for you to meet them.
If you want to be a Guitarist. Visit a Forum about Music
If you want to be a Mechanic. visit a Mechanic Forum
If you want to become a Millionaire. Visit www.thefastlaneforum.com

Its so obvious .
In Germany we say: "Du siehst den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht"
translated it means that "you dont see the forest because of all the trees"

Take a step back and observe.
So trying out more jobs will make me meet more people, this will improve my network, understood. Thanks for opinion!

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
The simplest 5 words that can explain a very basic idea of wealth that will serve you for years if you repeat it to yourself and think about it until you truly understand it:

"Profits are better than wages"

Things that produce profits: (any combination of those choices below in any industry combined with any type of business model are possible opportunities).

Selling products
Selling services

To people
To companies

Which are expensive
Which are cheap

etc. (lots of choices)

Apply CENTS principles to any ideas you have to weigh them and see which ones are best to pursue in theory. Then start testing them by trying to get sales.

When you have a problem, verbalize it and make it real. "How do I ____?" and then solve it with google, a book, asking someone experienced, etc. Come on here and ask for an experts opinion and we will help you.

In conjunction with all of this, build good habits. Lift weights on a regular schedule following a plan/program. Eat healthy. Read non-fiction relative to the business or industry you are interested about. Make a to-do list each night or each morning. Don't hangout with losers. Always seek new information and be curious. Say yes to opportunities.

No matter what stupid shit you do, do not judge yourself too harshly. You're 15. Adults are only better off because they're older. See yourself as great and you will take actions that will reinforce that belief and you will actually become great.
Profits are better than wages due to freedom of choice, CUL and bigger rewards with more opportunities for learning, experience and network. I see.

I want to ask, since I'm unexperienced, do you think that CENTS framework play a big role or should be considered first when I'm doing my first business?

Do you mind elaborating more on the make a to-do list each night or morning? I always journal before I sleep, so how does a to-do list looks like?

Thank you for your opinion! :D
(please correct me if I'm wrong/missing something or asking something wrong)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
So trying out more jobs will make me meet more people, this will improve my network, understood. Thanks for opinion!
I think you have missed the point of the brilliant reply by @Johnny boy. He wasn't telling you to try more paid jobs, he was telling you to create your own job by selling your time in a way that makes a profit for you.

Sydney in Australia is a big place, and there are millions of people who will pay you to do things that they want done, but don't want to do or can't do themselves.

Think about those everyday things that busy or lazy people don't do, but they know should be done.

Walter

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I think you have missed the point of the brilliant reply by @Johnny boy. He wasn't telling you to try more paid jobs, he was telling you to create your own job by selling your time in a way that makes a profit for you.

Sydney in Australia is a big place, and there are millions of people who will pay you to do things that they want done, but don't want to do or can't do themselves.

Think about those everyday things that busy or lazy people don't do, but they know should be done.

Walter
Thank you, I completely missed that and misinterpreted it. So I should try and find out stuff that people in my area are lazy/busy to do and give value to them by doing it for them? This will make profit for me,self employed, expand my networking abilities ,know the in and outs of how a business operates and gain experience more than what a job can give?

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
TLDR; 15yr old, no workplace experience, wants opinion on how to get experience/network either from jobs/ small business, don't care about money just experience and network
As a father of three 16 year olds and a 13 year old, I'm going to give you some controversial advice but it's based on my kids who also don't care about money because they have everything they could want.

At your age, you don't have any life experiences. Get some. Since you don't care about money, get a job. Understand what people have to do to make a living. See all the challenges and problems they face daily. And also see the challenges and problems the businesses who hire them face. Observe first hand the importance of systems and processes and understand how they help to manage risk for the business. Learn to see the opportunities that can solve some of these challenges and start writing down your ideas. You'll train your mind to start finding opportunities all around you. Write those down too.

When you have one idea you really love, pursue it.

You can start using this forum as your network. There are incredibly talented and knowledgeable people here from all over the world.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
As a father of three 16 year olds and a 13 year old, I'm going to give you some controversial advice but it's based on my kids who also don't care about money because they have everything they could want.

At your age, you don't have any life experiences. Get some. Since you don't care about money, get a job. Understand what people have to do to make a living. See all the challenges and problems they face daily. And also see the challenges and problems the businesses who hire them face. Observe first hand the importance of systems and processes and understand how they help to manage risk for the business. Learn to see the opportunities that can solve some of these challenges and start writing down your ideas. You'll train your mind to start finding opportunities all around you. Write those down too.

When you have one idea you really love, pursue it.

You can start using this forum as your network. There are incredibly talented and knowledgeable people here from all over the world.
So I should go out and get life experience via a job while constantly observing challenges & problems that employees and business owners face and find a solution to those problems. I should observe the workings of a business in and outs and write down thoughts, opportunity and solution. I see, understood. Thank you!
:D

Blacksmith876

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Oct 30, 2022
I'm 15 and I want to get experience in the workplace and try to find ideas. My friends around me are working in restaurants like MacDonalds or KFC and other insignificant jobs. I was wondering what jobs or small business can I pursue to gain experience and network. I don't care about money( although I actually do), I just want experience in the market, workplace or the adult life of money. I have no experience in the workplace whatsoever, but willing to hear all of your opinions.

The bets advice I can give is to find a mentor first of all. The experience of approaching successful people in itself is a great skill in itself.

A job like KFC is a great experience at 15 because then you see what hard work is really like which makes you even more determined with other pursuits. My job at a dishwasher at 17 was fantastic as was working construction as a labourer because that's where my work ethic was developed and importantly it will help you massively relate to others if/when you end up managing others or having them work for you. The best leaders seem to always be the ones who have been there and can genuinely relate to others they oversee.

I would talk to as many people as possible and find out what skills interest you as at a young age I think you learn the fastest when its something you have a genuine interest in.

Sales and marketing are two very important skills that you can learn from others with no qualifications and practice on your own by selling for others. I think that would be a great start. Ask for work experience at businesses that do these things because actually doing something helps you learn 10x faster than learning the theory. I recruit cybersecurity salespeople and have over the last few years recruited in other markets like software development and sales by far seems to have the quickest upwards trajectory for those who are good at it. I've placed a lot of young people who are making a fortune in their early 20's and that skill is essential if you want to start your own business. Just my 2 cents, good luck and your attitude is great btw!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
635%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Profits are better than wages due to freedom of choice, CUL and bigger rewards with more opportunities for learning, experience and network. I see.

I want to ask, since I'm unexperienced, do you think that CENTS framework play a big role or should be considered first when I'm doing my first business?

Do you mind elaborating more on the make a to-do list each night or morning? I always journal before I sleep, so how does a to-do list looks like?

Thank you for your opinion! :D
(please correct me if I'm wrong/missing something or asking something wrong)

Here is an example

"Hi, I'm looking for a job, what is the pay?"

"The pay is ___/hr"

"Great I will take it"

Now, your income is DETERMINED by "hours worked".

Your income equation is "If I work x hours I will make $x".

If you want to buy a 3 million dollar car in your 20's that is 10 years from 20 to 30, you will have to spend nothing, work like a slave, and be paid 300,000 a year for 10 years.

Find a job that pays 300k a year that you can start doing right away? Unless you are a top athlete, don't expect it.

BUT, 300k a year in PROFIT is different, that is a MUCH different equation.

If you bring in 1.2 million in sales (happens often, does not require a college degree, nobody can stop you from making that happen), and you spend 900k in expenses to make that 1.2m sales happen, you are left with a 25% margin, or 300k in profit.

There is no X amount of hours worked, or X number of degrees, or anything. Just sales. People have done this in a week, a month, a year, a decade, and some people never do it. It is not bound by time, just the value you provide and the sales are evidence of it. It is truly limitless.

That 1.2m in sales could be where you sell something for $100 12,000 times in a year, something $12,000 100 times, or any combination.

For example we sell lawn care and make around 40% margins and the average customer pays 1,800 a year. That's $720 of profit from each customer. Each crew can handle 100 customers or so, and it makes 70k profit per crew per year.

Now my income becomes "how many crews I have x 70k = my yearly income"

Do you see how very quickly it can add up and become incredibly powerful?

That is why profits are better than wages.

Nobody will hire you for a job and make you rich.

Do the math for a goddamn fast food job.

$15/hr times 40 = 600 a week.

Jesus christ go powerwash someones deck for $200 and do that 3 times in a day and you made the same amount, it's a no brainer. Do it 7 days a week and make 10k a month and flex on all of your stupid broke friends and hire them to work for you because they don't understand business.

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Here is an example

"Hi, I'm looking for a job, what is the pay?"

"The pay is ___/hr"

"Great I will take it"

Now, your income is DETERMINED by "hours worked".

Your income equation is "If I work x hours I will make $x".

If you want to buy a 3 million dollar car in your 20's that is 10 years from 20 to 30, you will have to spend nothing, work like a slave, and be paid 300,000 a year for 10 years.

Find a job that pays 300k a year that you can start doing right away? Unless you are a top athlete, don't expect it.

BUT, 300k a year in PROFIT is different, that is a MUCH different equation.

If you bring in 1.2 million in sales (happens often, does not require a college degree, nobody can stop you from making that happen), and you spend 900k in expenses to make that 1.2m sales happen, you are left with a 25% margin, or 300k in profit.

There is no X amount of hours worked, or X number of degrees, or anything. Just sales. People have done this in a week, a month, a year, a decade, and some people never do it. It is not bound by time, just the value you provide and the sales are evidence of it. It is truly limitless.

That 1.2m in sales could be where you sell something for $100 12,000 times in a year, something $12,000 100 times, or any combination.

For example we sell lawn care and make around 40% margins and the average customer pays 1,800 a year. That's $720 of profit from each customer. Each crew can handle 100 customers or so, and it makes 70k profit per crew per year.

Now my income becomes "how many crews I have x 70k = my yearly income"

Do you see how very quickly it can add up and become incredibly powerful?

That is why profits are better than wages.

Nobody will hire you for a job and make you rich.

Do the math for a goddamn fast food job.

$15/hr times 40 = 600 a week.

Jesus christ go powerwash someones deck for $200 and do that 3 times in a day and you made the same amount, it's a no brainer. Do it 7 days a week and make 10k a month and flex on all of your stupid broke friends and hire them to work for you because they don't understand business.
Agreed. Now imma do it. Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.