The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon FBA with 1k and no experience

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Falcon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 18, 2016
California
Hey all,

I want to share my venture into importing and Amazon selling. I have no experience, no courses, and $1k to spend. I'm a 21-year-old recent grad in an 8-to-5 desk job. This forum has been a rich resource, so I want to contribute value however I can.

What's my goal?

Within a year, I want to hit $500/mo, then $1k/mo, then $4k/mo total by selling 2-7 products with Amazon FBA.

Why no courses?

I usually become paralyzed by endless research, and I'd rather put that money into inventory. For now, I'm reading all the free stuff I can get my hands on.

The one exception is @WalterHay's book, which I bought yesterday and devoured in one sitting. Phenomenally helpful. I highly recommend buying it just for a clearer roadmap of freight and customs services, and for some really streamlined advice on how to interact with Chinese suppliers. $100 feels noticeable to me, but it's essentially a textbook and well worth the cost.

Where am I now?

I brainstormed 120 keywords, then ordered these by search volume, competition, and ease of item production until I had 5 easy items to start on. Tonight I'll be making lists of suppliers and reaching out about whichever 2 items seem easiest and most cost-effective to obtain. I'm planning to check their catalogs for further inspiration and request sample orders of 100pcs each for 2-4 items. I'll use this batch to test the market and consider my item-development and branded packaging approach.

What are my questions?

1. I want to improve existing models. What does the back-and-forth about product design look like? What about simply getting your logo put on the item packaging?

2. I'm still foggy on what certificates and safety paperwork my product will need (my product is in jewelry and accessories).

3. Any resources/advice on the timeline for solidifying a brand identity (getting a logo designed, etc) and registering my business?

4. Anyone else want to share what their first order and FBA experience was like?

Thanks for joining me on the ride!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Welcome, good luck! Answered your questions below, also dont order 100pc samples thats a waste of money Order 1 or 2

What are my questions?

1. I want to improve existing models. What does the back-and-forth about product design look like? What about simply getting your logo put on the item packaging?

Contact Manufacturer on product
Explain what you would like with designs/tech packs/current products
Manufacturer creates tech mock up
You approve
Order sample
If you approve order bulk
If you dont repeat steps 1-3 and order another sample

2. I'm still foggy on what certificates and safety paperwork my product will need (my product is in jewelry and accessories).

Call FBA and ask them in regards to the product you are currently looking at and would like to sell. Also check the FBA forums on your niche

3. Any resources/advice on the timeline for solidifying a brand identity (getting a logo designed, etc) and registering my business?

Create an LLC with your state and DBA name for your brand.
Brainstorm logo ideas
Go to Upwork
Find a designer and ask them to create mock ups of your vision
Wittle away till its right.

4. Anyone else want to share what their first order and FBA experience was like?

Found a product that was hard, unique, and in my scope of interest/ filled a need.
Spent $500 ordering samples
Found two suppliers I liked.
Determined all costs including total COGS, ad spend req, shipping in and outbound, tax, etc
Ordered 500 units.
Created listings and researched/loaded backend terms
Launched and contacted all people I know to buy at full price.
Turn on PPC at $5/day and test to find quality terms

This took me about a month and half.

G

GuestUser155

Sup, dude.
Hey all,

I want to share my venture into importing and Amazon selling. I have no experience, no courses, and $1k to spend. I'm a 21-year-old recent grad in an 8-to-5 desk job. This forum has been a rich resource, so I want to contribute value however I can.

What's my goal?

Within a year, I want to hit $500/mo, then $1k/mo, then $4k/mo total by selling 2-7 products with Amazon FBA.

That's a pretty lenient time-frame. You can get the whole thing setup in 2 weeks min and going $X,XXX in 8.

I'd reevaluate why you think it would take you so long. Are you scared of failing, do you wanna be sure you don't mess up, you wanna get it right the first time?

Or are you just overestimating how long it'll take?

I brainstormed 120 keywords, then ordered these by search volume, competition, and ease of item production until I had 5 easy items to start on. Tonight I'll be making lists of suppliers and reaching out about whichever 2 items seem easiest and most cost-effective to obtain. I'm planning to check their catalogs for further inspiration and request sample orders of 100pcs each for 2-4 items. I'll use this batch to test the market and consider my item-development and branded packaging approach.

Ease, easy, easiest, cost-effective. These things a fastlaner does not make.

Physically improving items is going to cost you in retooling (if the model isn't already available but not utilized).

Improving branding and packaging? This is doable and can be the decider if it's done right.

Don't skimp out on the brand.

Here is an example of very good packaging and brand. We were in the same class a few years ago and he's still going strong at #2 for molds.

You can get a logo freelanced for a few bucks and in 24 hours it'll be right in your inbox.

You can get a good logo designed by a professional for a few hundred and it'll be done in a week.

Registering business only comes in once you make sales.

Thanks for joining me on the ride!

1). Found a product that wasn't branded well.

2). Private labeled it with a logo and packaging I designed.

3). Ordered samples through Alibaba.

4). Took good photos.

5). Made the listing.

6). Marketed.

7). Sold out on samples and ordered a full inventory.

8). Registered as a business.

This took me two months.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Isn't the jewelry category gated or not accepting new sellers? Just check to make sure it's not before starting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wil

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jul 1, 2011
I'm not sure if the Jewelry Category is still gated, but running PPC in the Jewelry Category is definitely restricted, apparently has been for last year or so.

So if you do start selling in the Jewelry/Accessories categories, see if you can find a category that is both applicable for your product and outside of the Jewelry node.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.