The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] Importing & wholesaling for resale on eBay.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Hi Ecom_man, I wonder if you could kindly get back on my questions above? Thank you so much again!
1. It shouldn't be any problem to get an invoice. Just message you supplier and have him email it to you or include it in the package. I've never had an issue getting one.

2. I use mainly Adwords to drive traffic to my site. I do use Facebook but I mainly use it as a way for existing customers to see what is new on my site. I haven't even tried Facebook ads yet. Adwords is good at getting instant sales but your products and service is what brings them back.

3. If you have sales on the listing (listing says x sold) raise the prices. If it has no sales then ending it vs raising price really doesn't matter.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sevlow9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Sep 17, 2015
I started selling on my own site for a couple of reasons. Control is probably the biggest one. When you sell on Amazon or eBay you are at the mercy of their changing rules or fees. The other reason is return buyers. If I make someone happy they will come back to my site. If I make them happy on eBay they will go back to eBay but may or may not buy from me again.

The 5 products on Amazon are in a totally different category. They are wayyyyy different than anything I normally sell. I will be creating a new website for this niche in January and jumping from 5 products to 25-50.
ah cool man yeah makes sense, good luck on selling in that new niche!!

Insaint

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Sep 11, 2015
Europe
I am trying to get into importing myself but I'm having trouble finding a product that can still give worthwhile profit margins after two lots of VAT (20% into the country and 20% selling to eBay customer) plus all the other costs. From what I have read from others in Europe, it is possible to find a product but I can see it taking a lot longer than those living outside of Europe. This is my major stumbling block at the moment, but I will push through it and let others know how long it takes when I do eventually find one.

Why are you paying VAT twice?

If you sell an item to a customer for £120 you have to pay £20 in VAT. If you already paid £10 in VAT when you imported that item you can just subtract that from the £20 you received from the customer and only pay another £10 to the government. In the end all you pay is £20, not £20 times two. (And technically the customer is the one that pays the VAT you just have to pass it on to the government.)

You can only subtract the VAT you paid when importing if you are registered for VAT. If you are not registered for VAT you cannot charge the customer VAT in the first place, so there is simply no way you end up paying VAT twice.

Note: This is based on Dutch law. However since this all comes down from the EU everything should work the same in the UK. The only thing that might differ are the percentages and the tax exemption threshold. From a quick look at https://www.gov.uk/vat-businesses/how-vat-works it looks like it works the same way in the UK.

Finding an item to sell in the EU is just as simple/hard as in the US. Because everyone selling stuff in the EU has to pay the same taxes and jump through the same hoops as you. Annoying to start, but a nice barrier to entry once you get going.

Sure people from outside the EU (China) can sell without charging VAT, but there are two huge drawbacks for a customer:
1) Shipping time.
2) Taxes. Most EU countries have very low thresholds for importing fees and a customer will think twice about ordering from China again if they get hit with 20% VAT, 10% import duty and a flat 10-20 euro administrative fee on a 50 euro item.

StuckInTheMud

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Nov 8, 2015
Wales, UK
Why are you paying VAT twice?

If you sell an item to a customer for £120 you have to pay £20 in VAT. If you already paid £10 in VAT when you imported that item you can just subtract that from the £20 you received from the customer and only pay another £10 to the government. In the end all you pay is £20, not £20 times two. (And technically the customer is the one that pays the VAT you just have to pass it on to the government.)

You can only subtract the VAT you paid when importing if you are registered for VAT. If you are not registered for VAT you cannot charge the customer VAT in the first place, so there is simply no way you end up paying VAT twice.

Note: This is based on Dutch law. However since this all comes down from the EU everything should work the same in the UK. The only thing that might differ are the percentages and the tax exemption threshold. From a quick look at https://www.gov.uk/vat-businesses/how-vat-works it looks like it works the same way in the UK.

Finding an item to sell in the EU is just as simple/hard as in the US. Because everyone selling stuff in the EU has to pay the same taxes and jump through the same hoops as you. Annoying to start, but a nice barrier to entry once you get going.

Sure people from outside the EU (China) can sell without charging VAT, but there are two huge drawbacks for a customer:
1) Shipping time.
2) Taxes. Most EU countries have very low thresholds for importing fees and a customer will think twice about ordering from China again if they get hit with 20% VAT, 10% import duty and a flat 10-20 euro administrative fee on a 50 euro item.

Thank you for clearing that up, I was under the impression that bring VAT registered worked out more expensive somehow - that's a lesson learnt in itself..to be careful of the sources I get information from.

I will look into getting VAT registered in that case, and I'll edit the calculator above accordingly. This makes it a lot easier - and more profitable, as I found an item last night after a month of looking that profits even after 2 lots of VAT (this is possible as eBay takes VAT automatically)!

Insaint

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Sep 11, 2015
Europe
Thank you for clearing that up, I was under the impression that bring VAT registered worked out more expensive somehow - that's a lesson learnt in itself..to be careful of the sources I get information from.

I will look into getting VAT registered in that case, and I'll edit the calculator above accordingly. This makes it a lot easier - and more profitable, as I found an item last night after a month of looking that profits even after 2 lots of VAT (this is possible as eBay takes VAT automatically)!

From what I understand eBay automatically adds VAT to their service fees. Whether you have to charge VAT on your eBay sales depends on if you are VAT registered or not. A quick calc:

VAT registered: You want to sell an item for £50 on ebay.co.uk. You have to charge 20% VAT, so the final price will be £60. The item sells for £60. EBay fees are £10, and they add 20% VAT on that for £12 total. Now you send the £10 in VAT you received minus the £2 you already paid in VAT to eBay to the government (£8). So in the end you are left with £60 - £10 eBay fees - £8 VAT (paid to government) - £2 VAT (paid to eBay) = £40.

Not VAT registered: Same as above, but you are not allowed to charge VAT and cannot get the VAT back you have to pay to eBay. Because the customer only cares about the final price you can still charge £60. You pay £10 in fees and £2 in VAT over those fees to eBay. In the end you are left with £60 - £12 paid to eBay = £48. And you do not have to pay any VAT whatsoever to the government because you did not charge any VAT (and cannot reclaim any VAT either). In the end you made £8 more!

Source: http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/about-vat

Note: I have no idea about eBay fees so I just made up the numbers there, but the principle is the same regardless of their fees.
---

Because you are importing items at a low price the VAT you have to pay on that should be far lower than the £8 you made extra in the calcs above.

So if you mostly (or only) sell to consumers you should not register for VAT until you absolutely have to. According to https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration the threshold where you have to register for VAT is £82,000 in yearly turnover. Which is insanely high compared to most EU countries. There are still 2 things you should do even if you are not VAT registered:

1. Bookkeeping. You never know if you will get above that threshold of £82,000. Plus you might have to prove to the taxman that you did not get above that threshold. If you get close to that yearly threshold it is very important to keep in mind that you will have to pay VAT over the entire sum if you cross it.
2. If at all possible tell your suppliers that they list the price you paid on the shipments they send you. Pretty much every Chinese seller will list a very low price to "help" you avoid taxes. This "help" can royally screw you if customs thinks you are trying to defraud them.

Note: I'm not a tax expert, just someone that has dealt with the same issues as a Dutch citizen. I'm pretty sure you can contact the HMRC directly to ask questions.

StuckInTheMud

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Nov 8, 2015
Wales, UK
From what I understand eBay automatically adds VAT to their service fees. Whether you have to charge VAT on your eBay sales depends on if you are VAT registered or not. A quick calc:

VAT registered: You want to sell an item for £50 on ebay.co.uk. You have to charge 20% VAT, so the final price will be £60. The item sells for £60. EBay fees are £10, and they add 20% VAT on that for £12 total. Now you send the £10 in VAT you received minus the £2 you already paid in VAT to eBay to the government (£8). So in the end you are left with £60 - £10 eBay fees - £8 VAT (paid to government) - £2 VAT (paid to eBay) = £40.

Not VAT registered: Same as above, but you are not allowed to charge VAT and cannot get the VAT back you have to pay to eBay. Because the customer only cares about the final price you can still charge £60. You pay £10 in fees and £2 in VAT over those fees to eBay. In the end you are left with £60 - £12 paid to eBay = £48. And you do not have to pay any VAT whatsoever to the government because you did not charge any VAT (and cannot reclaim any VAT either). In the end you made £8 more!

Source: http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/about-vat

Note: I have no idea about eBay fees so I just made up the numbers there, but the principle is the same regardless of their fees.
---

Because you are importing items at a low price the VAT you have to pay on that should be far lower than the £8 you made extra in the calcs above.

So if you mostly (or only) sell to consumers you should not register for VAT until you absolutely have to. According to https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration the threshold where you have to register for VAT is £82,000 in yearly turnover. Which is insanely high compared to most EU countries. There are still 2 things you should do even if you are not VAT registered:

1. Bookkeeping. You never know if you will get above that threshold of £82,000. Plus you might have to prove to the taxman that you did not get above that threshold. If you get close to that yearly threshold it is very important to keep in mind that you will have to pay VAT over the entire sum if you cross it.
2. If at all possible tell your suppliers that they list the price you paid on the shipments they send you. Pretty much every Chinese seller will list a very low price to "help" you avoid taxes. This "help" can royally screw you if customs thinks you are trying to defraud them.

Note: I'm not a tax expert, just someone that has dealt with the same issues as a Dutch citizen. I'm pretty sure you can contact the HMRC directly to ask questions.

A bit short on time so apologies for the short post but a HUGE thanks to you for taking the time to post such a detailed explanation. I can't believe I misinterpreted it so badly. Solid advice that I really appreciate and has pretty much cleared the "big" stumbling block I thought I had...and there I was about to give up a couple of days ago.

Thank you once again, if there's anything I can do for you let me know!

(I will update my post with the calculator within a couple of days)

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
Very quick question about book keeping (not an interesting one!) - I know you no longer sell on eBay, but wonder if you can advise. I started selling my fist samples a couple of months ago, then a couple of weeks ago I setup a company and now I need to record my sales properly and the invoices in sequential number - I am a bit confused on how I do this though, when the buyer process the payment on Paypal after purchasing an eBay item there is no invoice number created, how can I add one? I guess I am not suppose to create a manual invoice in Paypal each time, right? How can I record an invoice number again a sale in paypal? :facepalm:
Sorry for the dumb question!

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Very quick question about book keeping (not an interesting one!) - I know you no longer sell on eBay, but wonder if you can advise. I started selling my fist samples a couple of months ago, then a couple of weeks ago I setup a company and now I need to record my sales properly and the invoices in sequential number - I am a bit confused on how I do this though, when the buyer process the payment on Paypal after purchasing an eBay item there is no invoice number created, how can I add one? I guess I am not suppose to create a manual invoice in Paypal each time, right? How can I record an invoice number again a sale in paypal? :facepalm:
You need to talk to a tax professional and see what they recommend. PayPal does send you an end of the year total of all the sales you have made which is a huge help.

jpremo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 5, 2015
Upstate new york
Ecom man, thanks all the great posts. I joined this forum because of this thread.

I have a few questions.

1. Since you have started selling on a website, how has the criteria changed for selecting products you sell?

2. Has the process for finding profitable items changed?

3. How do you evaluate your competition since the change from ebay?

4. Also what expenses to you incur by selling on a website, other than shipping, ads, product, terapeak, and domain registry. I’m curious because these expenses determine margins of the product and could also be the deciding factors if a product is profitable.

Thanks for any insight.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Ecom man, thanks all the great posts. I joined this forum because of this thread.

I have a few questions.

1. Since you have started selling on a website, how has the criteria changed for selecting products you sell?

2. Has the process for finding profitable items changed?

3. How do you evaluate your competition since the change from ebay?

4. Also what expenses to you incur by selling on a website, other than shipping, ads, product, terapeak, and domain registry. I’m curious because these expenses determine margins of the product and could also be the deciding factors if a product is profitable.

Thanks for any insight.
Happy to help.
1. Selecting products is still about the same. I am currently running a little bit of everything type site but I am going to start niche specific sites and start separating them into totally separate businesses. The end goal is to sell each business within the next 3 years and retire.
2. Finding items is still the same. I still test out smaller quantities on my site and eBay/Amazon before ordering hundreds.
3. Selling on my own site has really changed the competition angle. When you are selling on eBay or Amazon you are one of hundreds. When you have your own site you are competing with 6-8 people for the first page of Google through SEO or Adwords. Having hundreds of competitors really isn't that big of a deal cause most of them don't know how to run ad campaigns or even have well set up sites.
4. Expenses are:
Shopify monthly costs
Shipping
Google ads
Bing ads
Shareasale (affiliate program)
Payment processor (PayPal and regular credit card processor)
Business cards (I include a card with discount code for their next order as well as our contact info in every order)
Domain
Inventory
Terapeak
Storage for inventory
SEO campaign
There are a few odds and ends besides these but this is pretty much it.

It's odd but you can charge considerably higher prices on your own site than on eBay. I never expected that at all. My prices are 25-50% higher than what I was selling for on eBay but my total number of sales is still way higher than last year. Up through September I was running 3-5 times higher sales than in the same months last year on eBay.

jpremo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 5, 2015
Upstate new york
Thanks for the insight. Do you use a website or a blog hosted by shopify? In regards to ads, do have separate ad campaigns for each product or a general ad to direct traffic to your store? Also do you run your own SEO campaigns or do you outsource that. Lastly can you recommend any reading or references you may have come across to educate yourself on SEO and Google ads.

Thanks,

Jared

Last edited:

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Thanks for the insight. Do you use a website or a blog hosted by shopify? In regards to ads, do have separate ad campaigns for each product or a general ad to direct traffic to your store? Also do you run your own SEO campaigns or do you outsource that. Lastly can you recommend any reading or references you may have come across to educate yourself on SEO and Google ads.

Thanks,

Jared
I have a website hosted by shopify. I have a separate campaign for each product. That campaign is product specific and directs to that exact product page as well. I outsource SEO work. I don't have the time or the knowledge to do it. Basically I learned Adwords through their info and trial and error. I tried new things and if it worked I would keep it if it didn't I would stop using it. Google is really the only book you ever need on ads. You can google just about anything and you will come up with 100's of ideas.

nomeus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 16, 2015
How do you market your store? Considering, that you have different products from different categories or are your products somewhat related? Or you just market and send traffic to a specific product not thinking much about what customer thinks if he sees that you sell kitchen knifes right besides pet supplies?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
How do you market your store? Considering, that you have different products from different categories or are your products somewhat related? Or you just market and send traffic to a specific product not thinking much about what customer thinks if he sees that you sell kitchen knifes right besides pet supplies?
I market using Google Adwords, bing ads, and a few other ways. I have different categories that my products fall under so I have different categories on my website. I advertise for each specific product and the ad directs to that products page. From there they can obviously browse in the same category they are interested in or my other categories as well.

faromic

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
All the branding I have done has been when my supplier said he could do it for me. I was ordering probably 100 or so of the items a month when I started branding.

There are opportunities in selling variations as well as in just selling the same items as one or two other people. I can sell the exact same generic item as someone else on eBay and people will buy from me 9 times out of 10 because of the quality and after purchase service i provide (fast shipping and great return policy).

Hey Ecom Man, thanks for the thread this is great...

You say they will buy from you 9 of 10 times because of shipping and customer service. Question is how do they know you're so awesome at shipping andc customer service??? Reviews? A lot of people say fast shipping and some don't deliver. Are you giving some kind of guarantee?
Thanks

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Hey Ecom Man, thanks for the thread this is great...

You say they will buy from you 9 of 10 times because of shipping and customer service. Question is how do they know you're so awesome at shipping andc customer service??? Reviews? A lot of people say fast shipping and some don't deliver. Are you giving some kind of guarantee?
Thanks
I probably interact with around 10% of customers before they spend a dime. They will email or call with a question. (Most common question right now is will it arrive before Christmas) I answer emails within minutes of receiving them 18 hours a day. How secure do you think that makes the customer feel knowing they can actually get ahold of a real human in a decent amount of time? I answer phone calls from 9 am til normally 11 pm (most people don't call that late but I have had a few). The customers that I talk to on the phone buy from me 97% of the time. It really can be the little things. I treat all customers how I would like to be treated. I give them customer service so above their expectations they have no choice but to buy. When they receive their product in record time and Have good customer service... Believe me they pass the word along to their friends and family.

A perfect example of going above and beyond happened today. A customer ordered an item and paid for express shipping. They ordered the item around 3:30 after we had already taken all the deliveries out for the day. Now I could have waited and just sent it out with tomorrow mornings packages, but I didn't. I got the order packaged, the label printed, and had it to the post office before their 4 o clock truck left. The person will get their item tomorrow. Will they be happy? Will they be so happy that they will tell everyone they know how excellent our service is? Yes they will.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
2015 is in the books. I missed my sales goal by about 35k. Christmas sales were good but didn't explode quite as much as I expected. 2016 goal is to do 5x what we did in 2015! Will it happen? We will see!

What about YOU? What are your goals? What are you going to change or do differently to reach them in 2016? Needs are waiting to be filled. Value is ready to be added! Get going!

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
Hi @Ecom_man,

I am having a bit of a problem with a new supplier, based in Pakistan. I ordered the first sample for them and paid and we agreed for them to ship on the 4th of December, however as of now they have not shipped the product (4 weeks gone). Initially they said they did not have all the samples ready, then they got busy for Christmas, excuse after excuse. I was travelling the first couple of weeks of December so I did not chase them regularly, but I am doing that now on a daily basis. I don't think they are scamming as they are a 3 year gold supplier and the amount is relatively low (600$), and my intention was to place a much larger order if the products were good, but the fact is that regardless of when they ship now and even if the products are great I won't feel comfortable in starting a long term business relationship with them.
What would you do in my situation? I know paypal protection is for 180 days, so hopefully I don't have to worry about getting scammed, but I would like to know if you had similar experience with your suppliers.
My only other two suppliers (I only started in September after reading this thread) are from China and have no problems with them.

Thank you for your time and happy new year! :)

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
File a paypal claim, get your money back, and move on. If they can't keep their word and get your items sent find someone else. There are plenty of suppliers that are more than happy to actually send the products you order.

BenjaminGetsRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 31, 2015
Hey Econ Man, I PMed you earlier today with a very noobie question about how to find a product, and what to look for, but I think I am getting the hang of it now after spending the whole day experimenting around Alibaba, Ebay, Amazon, and Terapeak. Not sure if I am doing my research correctly here, but this is how I went about it:

So, I checked ebay for the two products that I found and they have low listings like around 90-100 (Some competitors there). Comparing the price from Alibaba which was $2 on the (highend), I could sell one on Ebay for $12, and the other on Amazon for $15. So there is quite a decent margin there I believe. I am not sure if I should be checking anything else, but my best guess for the next step would be to contact a few manufacturers and get some samples? I feel kind of anxious about this part haha.

Would it be cool if I PM you this time and have you take a look at the two products? :)

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Hi Ecom Man + Co,

I don't visit the forum as much as I should (I just took the time to read some of the gold threads from the last year or two), I'm not sure if I've replied to this thread before. I've been running eCommerce stuff for a couple of years now (and on eBay), can't remember if I shared any experiences previously (here or any other threads).

Here are my helpful tips for those of you pushing on, based on my learnings -

- The people who buy on eBay are not the same ones who will Google for the same item (as you've found, could have saved you the trouble, sorry about that), so you can price things differently.
- Yes, start your own store, use a basic one at first, don't worry about it too much just make sure the value proposition is clear and people will buy.
- Be sure to have HTTPs setup as a trust and security thing.
- Use PayPal. Use Stripe.
- Consider remaining on eBay as long as you're not participating in a race to the bottom (ultimately eBay is a race to the bottom - see BioPhase's thread about the hardway/easyway for avoiding this).
- Forget SEO, it should not be anywhere near your #1 priority, I don't bother anymore.
- Consider old school marketing methods, everyone is so focussed on the digital world, the classics are becoming cheaper and viable to smaller players, while digital ads are becoming saturated and overpriced in some areas.
- Protect yourself (see BioPhase's threads about how to bring a unique product to market)
- Play from a place of strength (find a niche, own the shit out of it, just keep getting related products). Be an expert.

Whatever you're selling, good copy helps (see some of the IceCreamKid's posts in his gold thread), ultimately it comes down to being focussed on writing about the benefits to the customer. That's all that matters (as MJ wrote) - provide something great, something useful, and let them know about it. It's a no brainer for them then.

There's probably more. Hope that's helpful to some of you. Just remember to stay on the line and persistently persevere.

Cheers.

AJG

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 20, 2013
Ecom man,

How often do you come across situations where you find what appears to a pretty good product on aliexpress/dhgate, and you want to place a small volume order to test the market on amazon.....only to find that the product is already there with a poorly written/hacked up listing and the price even less than what it is on aliexpress?

Its so frustrating....i'm pulling my hair out lol. any advice or recommendations how to get around this? Maybe I just need to go deeper and deeper into truly obscure niches/categories, but I'm still striking out.

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
File a paypal claim, get your money back, and move on. If they can't keep their word and get your items sent find someone else. There are plenty of suppliers that are more than happy to actually send the products you order.

I was about to do so but then he finally shipped the items on the following day - received them today and delighted with the quality :)

I just have a quick question.
I received my first shipment a couple of weeks ago from a Chinese supplier, value around 600$ via Fedex. Once arrived I had to provide Fedex with the payment details so they could charge VAT/Duty Tax, which turned out to be around 200$

Today I received my first order from a supplier from Pakistan, value also around 600$. I noticed that he declared only 135$ as value on shipment and DHL only charged my around 40$.

My question is, once I prepare the book-keeping file for my accountant at the end of the year and he will pass the detail to the Tax office, will they wonder why on a purchasing transaction of 600$ I only paid 40$ taxes? Or once is done is done and should be up to Fedex/DHL to verify?

Thank you for your help!

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
I know i'm the millionth person to say this but thank you very much for creating this thread @Ecom man , it has been a huge help.

After reading all 78 pages I am still fuzzy when it comes to determining competition for a particular product. For example, throughout the thread you have said multiple times that you look at the buy it now listings on eBay and the number of listings is the amount of competition that you have. However, when you limit the product to the buy it now listing is it supposed to be the single specific item you are selling, or the main category that people are going to be searching? Lets say that I hypothetically want to sell hiking backpacks. More specifically this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Mil...212126?hash=item46463e811e:g:nOgAAOSwI-BWG~TL.

Would I look to see how many other people are selling this specific backpack? or just hiking backpacks in general? Also, if I do only look for this specific backpack, how do I know that my listing will even be seen in the sea of different hiking backpacks? I hope I didn't confuse you too much with my questions.

Also, if you have the time can I PM you with the product ideas that I have that will hopefully allow my questions to make more sense?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I know i'm the millionth person to say this but thank you very much for creating this thread @Ecom man , it has been a huge help.

After reading all 78 pages I am still fuzzy when it comes to determining competition for a particular product. For example, throughout the thread you have said multiple times that you look at the buy it now listings on eBay and the number of listings is the amount of competition that you have. However, when you limit the product to the buy it now listing is it supposed to be the single specific item you are selling, or the main category that people are going to be searching? Lets say that I hypothetically want to sell hiking backpacks. More specifically this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Mil...212126?hash=item46463e811e:g:nOgAAOSwI-BWG~TL.

Would I look to see how many other people are selling this specific backpack? or just hiking backpacks in general? Also, if I do only look for this specific backpack, how do I know that my listing will even be seen in the sea of different hiking backpacks? I hope I didn't confuse you too much with my questions.

Also, if you have the time can I PM you with the product ideas that I have that will hopefully allow my questions to make more sense?
It really comes down to testing. In backpacks for example how would your customer find your item? Do they search for "backpack"? "Hiking backpack"? "3 pocket hiking backpack"? Every category is going to be slightly different on what the customer searches for specifically. People looking for an iPad case are simply going to type in their model of iPad and the word case. That is a lot of competitors. The point is don't get lost in the thousands of other listings. If you have any particular questions feel free to PM me.

handshaker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 12, 2016

Hi,

The best thing to do is hire an accountant, and give them your Paypal login details. This way they can extract all the information you want. This is what i do, and its sooo simple :)

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
Hi @Ecom_man ,

so far I have only been selling on eBay but I am about to start selling on my eCommerce site and on Amazon. I see that eBay automatically assigns an invoice number to any sales in sequential order in "Selling Manager" - when you were selling on both eBay and your website, how did you manage the invoice numbers? I would like not to have to edit them manually each time, and assign different invoice numbers for item sold on my website and Amazon, however then they wouldn't be sequential. Any suggestion?

Thank you!

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
Hi @Ecom_man ,

so far I have only been selling on eBay but I am about to start selling on my eCommerce site and on Amazon. I see that eBay automatically assigns an invoice number to any sales in sequential order in "Selling Manager" - when you were selling on both eBay and your website, how did you manage the invoice numbers? I would like not to have to edit them manually each time, and assign different invoice numbers for item sold on my website and Amazon, however then they wouldn't be sequential. Any suggestion?

Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.