The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] Importing & wholesaling for resale on eBay.

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB
I'm looking into importing some items from DHGate and I think the item would sell decent enough, but it would REALLY fly off the shelves with a quick rebranding - new product name, new packaging, etc. I've seen a couple threads around here where people talk about rebranding generic products for resale for the same reasons. Is there anything more to it than slap it in a new box and call it a day? Are there any hangups with the manufacturer (as in, do you need their permission to rebrand their items when reselling)?

Looking forward to going into this head on, I have a feeling it'll be quite a learning experience no matter what the outcome is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
T
I'm looking into importing some items from DHGate and I think the item would sell decent enough, but it would REALLY fly off the shelves with a quick rebranding - new product name, new packaging, etc. I've seen a couple threads around here where people talk about rebranding generic products for resale for the same reasons. Is there anything more to it than slap it in a new box and call it a day? Are there any hangups with the manufacturer (as in, do you need their permission to rebrand their items when reselling)?

Looking forward to going into this head on, I have a feeling it'll be quite a learning experience no matter what the outcome is.
The only rebranding I have done is when the manufacture asked if I wanted to brand it under my own. I would suggest just contacting the manufacture and making sure that it is ok to do so.

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB
Thanks. That's sort of what I figured. I shot an email to the one supplier I'd like to use but haven't heard back yet regarding samples, but when I do I'll ask them about branding. The good news is if they say no, I found three other suppliers of similar items at around the same price, and I'm sure out of the four one will say yes.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Thanks. That's sort of what I figured. I shot an email to the one supplier I'd like to use but haven't heard back yet regarding samples, but when I do I'll ask them about branding. The good news is if they say no, I found three other suppliers of similar items at around the same price, and I'm sure out of the four one will say yes.
At least you've got tons of options to go to if all else fails.

s168

You get out what you put in
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2011
London, UK

I always ask suppliers up front what's their best price for "x" quantity of samples. The sample quantity is based on what I think I need to sell enough of to get an idea whether I should pursue this product or not. That is usually 5-30 items depending on what I expect the cost to be, as that is risk capital.

In the same email / message, I also ask up front for pricing for future regular orders for shipments in 500, 1000, 5000, 10000 units. That hopefully spices it up for them to consider giving me a decent price for samples if on the back of that they get big regular orders from me. That's my carrot and stick trick.

If I later decide to order volume figures, I know that I can play them off each other to get better pricing. That's standard negotiations and I tend to order the lower end of those volume figures anyway for cashflow management and inventory control reasons. I hate having too much money tied up in stock.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
The item that I thought was faulty turned out to be fine, I just didn't know how to put it together ;)

The sample of 10 pieces sold on ebay in a week! I sold at a loss since I paid a high price for the sample. I was told a sample fee would be refunded if I order in future.

I want to order say 100 of them but want to negotiate on the catalogue price. How should I go about negotiating a good price?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Short term.....Find a friend who is good at negotiating..... Role play with them. Get them to really rake you over the coals for practice and alternatives.

Mid term...... Get some books. Learn about increasing your BATNA and decreasing theirs.

Long term..... Begin to negotiate everything in your life. Pattern yourself after the 'and??' Commercials.......

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
The item that I thought was faulty turned out to be fine, I just didn't know how to put it together ;)

The sample of 10 pieces sold on ebay in a week! I sold at a loss since I paid a high price for the sample. I was told a sample fee would be refunded if I order in future.

I want to order say 100 of them but want to negotiate on the catalogue price. How should I go about negotiating a good price?
haha!!! I thought that may be the case! totally awesome!! tell them you sold out so fast it wasn't an adequate sample size you need 100 to do a larger test... :p

s168

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2011
London, UK
;)The sample of 10 pieces sold on ebay in a week! I sold at a loss since I paid a high price for the sample. I was told a sample fee would be refunded if I order in future.

Ask yourself this... if you were the supplier, under what conditions would you consider dropping your prices and to what level? Figure those reasons and use them in a coherent and consistent manner to negotiate.

ProblemSolver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2014
Orlando
Interesting thing happened to me. 2 days after my first item is listed, this guy contacts me and points out that I say I am offering 3 day shipping but am only offering First Class mail. Tells me I should change it before I get in trouble. I look at the guys sales history and he is selling the same item as me and still offers me solid advice rather than letting me get hit by something negative. I was completely surprised by that!

tminch55

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jun 24, 2014
Is anyone having a problem with these suppliers not responding to questions about samples? I sent out a ton Thursday and have yet to hear anything. Am I impatient, or is this a common issue with Alibaba?

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB
Is anyone having a problem with these suppliers not responding to questions about samples? I sent out a ton Thursday and have yet to hear anything. Am I impatient, or is this a common issue with Alibaba?
I sent a bunch of emails friday and I'm still waiting too. Maybe we just picked a bad week to inquire haha

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I reached my message limit WTH? I only requested about 10 places for each product :( maybe I did more... lol back tomorrow I guess. now I have to see if the other 2 platforms have message maxes LOL

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I reached my message limit WTH? I only requested about 10 places for each product :( maybe I did more... lol back tomorrow I guess. now I have to see if the other 2 platforms have message maxes LOL
Wow never knew there is a message limit lol! That's nuts!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Wow never knew there is a message limit lol! That's nuts!
yeah it was alibaba... I keep having issues on aliexpress... I can rarely do a search there without my laptop freezing up :(

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I use internet explorer. I usually always do... do you really think its a browser issue? I detest using other browsers (creature of habit and all) but if you think that will help I am willing to try just about anything.... I am stuck in bed (back went out) so I cant use my desktop and its been freezing up the last dozen or more times I go(over past few weeks)... every once in a while I can go thru 1/3 page before it locks up... so annoying

Tyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Apr 27, 2014
I use internet explorer. I usually always do... do you really think its a browser issue? I detest using other browsers (creature of habit and all) but if you think that will help I am willing to try just about anything.... I am stuck in bed (back went out) so I cant use my desktop and its been freezing up the last dozen or more times I go(over past few weeks)... every once in a while I can go thru 1/3 page before it locks up... so annoying

Definitely give Chrome a try, I haven't had any problems with it and it is very quick.

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB
I always ask suppliers up front what's their best price for "x" quantity of samples. The sample quantity is based on what I think I need to sell enough of to get an idea whether I should pursue this product or not. That is usually 5-30 items depending on what I expect the cost to be, as that is risk capital.

In the same email / message, I also ask up front for pricing for future regular orders for shipments in 500, 1000, 5000, 10000 units. That hopefully spices it up for them to consider giving me a decent price for samples if on the back of that they get big regular orders from me. That's my carrot and stick trick.

If I later decide to order volume figures, I know that I can play them off each other to get better pricing. That's standard negotiations and I tend to order the lower end of those volume figures anyway for cashflow management and inventory control reasons. I hate having too much money tied up in stock.

Thanks for the advice. The first supplier I contacted ended up being a bust - the product is lacking the very thing that I think would make it sell. I emailed 10 other vendors of similar or identical products, and on top of asking them the same questions, I also lead in with a request for the best price on a small sample order and prices for two larger quantities. I also asked about rebranding right up front.

I think I'll probably get a better response this time since the first vendor not only didn't have what I needed but also sort of blew me off by stating absolute MOQ was what was listed and no less. I'm not buying 100 units to see how your product holds up, sorry.

s168

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2011
London, UK
Just a side thought...

In the past, you could order much smaller quantities from China for much cheaper prices too. Then the bigger players go involved and more buyers globally did the same thing, and the MOQ and prices went up. Suppliers have more choices to pick and choose now. I have friends who ran clothes stores and were middlemen to large nationwide UK clothing stores state they noticed this trend over the years. I wonder what the new China is? Some say places like Vietnam, Bangladesh, etc.

PHD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Sep 5, 2011
Gold Coast, Australia

In my experience I have had about 80% of suppliers on Alibaba/aliexpress reply to requests, although a supplier told me that recently a lot of the emails from Alibaba have been going to their junk so this may be part of the problem.

z6Evolved

[Danger Zone]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jun 25, 2014
VAB
I'm glad I emailed all my "backup" choices. They all got back to me within 12 hours, all of them were willing to do OEM product or allow me to rebrand on my end (which the first supplier wouldn't do), all of them would allow a smaller sample order to test the product, and all of theirs contain the thing the first product was lacking.

So, lesson learned - email ALL the suppliers, not just the one that stands out the most.

Also, half of these guys sent me picture options for variations on the product that look 100x better than the original item. Definitely glad I didn't just give up when the first supplier refused to play ball. I really think I found a winner here and my margins might even be better if it sells due to the price negotiations I'm working on now with these other guys.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has been giving me feedback so far, it's been really helpful.

s168

Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 12, 2011
London, UK
Well done and good luck z6Evolved. Keep us informed of the progress you make.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
I woke up this morning to some great emails! It seems that the manufacturer of my first product has a bit of a dilemma because the model and color of the product that they sold me is also being sold to another supplier in another country "under contract".

They are worried that they are going to be in trouble for breach of contract and they want me to stop selling the product on Ebay. They also state that they are worried that the specs that I posted on Ebay will be used by other manufacturers to copy the product's capabilities.

The emails also state that the price at which I'm selling the units is way to cheap and that it'll hurt the business of the other suppliers.

In the end they threatened to stop selling the product to me if I don't remove my listings from Ebay.

I find all of this laughable and I'm glad I'm done with this product after I sell off the samples.

Nik Krohn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jun 27, 2014
Utah
@Ecom man I am getting a few suppliers that will send me product but the best shipping is always around $65. I dont mind if it comes via flight but is there a cheaper way so it does not eat profit margin?

Also, some suppliers want me to pay for their paypal fee. Any suggestions?

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I woke up this morning to some great emails! It seems that the manufacturer of my first product has a bit of a dilemma because the model and color of the product that they sold me is also being sold to another supplier in another country "under contract".

They are worried that they are going to be in trouble for breach of contract and they want me to stop selling the product on Ebay. They also state that they are worried that the specs that I posted on Ebay will be used by other manufacturers to copy the product's capabilities.

The emails also state that the price at which I'm selling the units is way to cheap and that it'll hurt the business of the other suppliers.

In the end they threatened to stop selling the product to me if I don't remove my listings from Ebay.

I find all of this laughable and I'm glad I'm done with this product after I sell off the samples.
That's a new one, ha.
@Ecom man I am getting a few suppliers that will send me product but the best shipping is always around $65. I dont mind if it comes via flight but is there a cheaper way so it does not eat profit margin?

Also, some suppliers want me to pay for their paypal fee. Any suggestions?

Go on aliexpress and find your items. They usually ship e-packet which is dirt cheap for them to sell smaller samples. Send them an e-mail negotiating and they are usually willing to lower the prices, and they don't charge an arm and a leg for shipping costs as you're usually working with a middle man.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
Am I likely to get a cheaper price if I ask for a product without packaging? I believe this is called OEM?

The product I am trying to get comes in a colourful cardboard box but it is too big for me to ship anyway. I have been taking the product out and putting it in a padded envelope.

crownbjj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Feb 18, 2014
I'm curious about that also:) villain do you prefer poly bubble mailer or kraft padded envelope when shipping out products. Most of my items are very small , light weight and not fragile.

Villain

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 26, 2013
Glasgow, UK
My items are also small, light and non-fragile. I have been using Mail Lite D/1 envelopes that I had lying around the house. I think these are like the kraft ones and have only one layer of bubble wrap on the inside.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.