The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO Almost didn't join this forum. Here's to accountability.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

yungmaghlas

New Contributor
Sep 17, 2020
California
Hey y'all, I'm Jason.

I didn't think I would join this forum but I realize the camaraderie here would actually drastically help those days when I'm feeling discouraged. Happy to join y'all.

I've read FLM and Unscripted almost two months ago. Like for almost all of you, it drastically changed my outlook on life.

Since then I've taken baby steps to starting my journey. As a college student without employable skills besides my half-baked cs major in the making, I've taken the digital marketing path. Now, I know that it's very common here and there's almost no barriers to entry. But I gotta start somewhere and this is what I will do while constantly on the lookout for ways to fill value.

I've gotten a website, llc, logo, and done a little survey into the community/market of the niche I want to explore. I realize that these are things that are very easy to do and it's impossible to fail here. Also doing these things is no guarantee I will be progressing forwards. Also these things also took me quite a while (3 weeks yikes) to do in my spare time while working on school stuff. Progress doesn't look amazing yet. But I'll keep working on things steadily. I've taken away most of the distractions that could trip me up. I'm gonna make a good use of covid and even when that's done keep hammering away at the Fastlane.

I'm a little hesitant on how to do the whole digital marketing agency (the SEO and social media marketing services in particular.) I want to know how I can offer SEO and media marketing in the best way before I hire anyone so I can actually judge and improve the quality of their work. I'm definitely taking Udemy courses on them but the actual process of it feels off. Like does the business owner (my customer) hand over the website and social media accounts?

I have no doubt I'll be able to do them... once I know what I have to do. I'll probably figure it out if I can't find an answer here.

So that's the context, progress, and worries/anticipation of my journey so far. Thanks for reading a newbie's post. I'll be posting more interesting stuff soon enough.

See you 'round,
Jason

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

PapaGang

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Hey, welcome to the forum!

First off, 3 weeks is not a long time.

Secondly, yes you need access to their server. Usually business owners have purchased a domain and maybe hosting. So you start there.

Two ways you can make money in the overcrowded digital marketing / website services world:
1. Offer digital marketing services in a specialized niche. You need to become a "destination agency," meaning people from across the country would hire you because you "know landscaping better than any other agency" or you "know food & beverage marketing better than anyone out there."

2. App / custom web development. Learn Javascript/REACT and build custom things for businesses. Example: I found a REACT app that is a template. It's a coffee shop app for ordering menu items ahead of time for curbside take-out. How many local coffee shops could benefit from that? If you know REACT, you could buy this thing, add a logo and menu items of a local shop, and sell the thing for some really good money.

Here's what's funny: the stuff you think you really need to know and do well probably isn't the same stuff you actually need to know well.

Here's what I found was crucial to my business:
  • Sales skills (#1 skill to learn, no joke)
  • Marketing your services - you have to offer something a little different (I package mine as a monthly recurring service for a niche with different levels - different than your traditional "full service" agency)
  • Admin/operations/bookkeeping/keeping track of your billable hours - accounting is huge - keep your shit tidy otherwise you have no clue if you are profitable
  • Managing time and projects: having a structure in place for freelance talent to do the work. They have to be good.

You don't have to be terribly skilled in web design. Most sites are based on themes and templates. That's the easy part. It's the level of service you provide them, as well as the specialized knowledge that comes with working in a particular industry vertical. And the third part of the secret sauce is providing data to your client (if you sell digital marketing services). Take a look at HubSpot for example. That should blow your mind.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Welcome Jason, appreciate the intro.

Like does the business owner (my customer) hand over the website and social media accounts?

I believe they create user accounts that you can manage.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Top Bottom