The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

After Selling His Startup For $25m People He Barely Knew Started Calling...

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I sold my startup for $25.5 million on Monday just after 2:23 p.m. Pacific Time.

Selling the company, Perfect Audience, to Marin Software took six months of writing carefully worded emails, meeting secretly in cafés, and pacing around the streets of San Francisco’s SoMa neighborhood after dark.

In the end, I sold Perfect Audience—a software platform which helps small businesses buy online ads—on a phone call on which I barely said anything at all. Our lawyers conferred with their lawyers.

One thing that did cut through the exhaustion was a task I’d been anticipating for more than six years: writing the Facebook post in which I announce to friends, former friends, frenemies, ex-girlfriends, college roommates, future wives, and family members that I was not in fact an obscure failure but a new, minor footnote in the annals of Silicon Valley startup successes.

Writing it was easy. I’d had six years to plot it in my head. I kept it simple and tried to strike the right mix between “Aw yeah!” and “Aw shucks!” No one likes a sore winner. I pushed it live and watched as over 400 comments rolled in.

Meanwhile my phone buzzed across my desk as it received text messages from people I’d not heard from in years. The middle school crush. The Sunday school teacher. The startup friends from Chicago. At last!

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-i-sold-my-startup-for-255-million-2014-6

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
Whatever floats his boat.. IMO it wasnt great idea to boast about it, hes now bombarded with wannabe-friends. I would just keep it all to myself, they would find out anyways and it would feel better to meet former schoolmates in some random place and If they would ask you "so what are you doing?" - "not much, sold a company, now Im just touring the world".. Look on their face would be priceless

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I wouldn't put that stuff on Facebook. I want to let them all think I'm unemployed and poor. Even family on holidays "what the hell is it you do again?". I kind of want a 1000 dollar old crap car for thanksgiving just to keep them from asking questions. Most people don't have a clue and I like it that way. I'm doing this for me not the Facebook cred.

I never put vacation pictures, new cars or any info like that on Facebook.

I'd probably tell you guys though because you all are on similar journeys.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I wouldn't put that stuff on Facebook. I want to let them all think I'm unemployed and poor. Even family on holidays "what the hell is it you do again?". Most people don't have a clue and I like it that way. I'm doing this for me not the Facebook cred.

That is the best way even with family no doubt if some family financial trouble would arise you would be 'expected' to bail them out.
Lol what do you tell them Kak when they ask what is it you do?
I've not even got Facebook people used to love themselves and with endless narcissistic selfies on mine constantly was actually a pain in the arse. Reading about their weekends, their kids last fart and 419 days until their holiday. Deleted.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser113

I wouldn't put that stuff on Facebook. I want to let them all think I'm unemployed and poor. Even family on holidays "what the hell is it you do again?". I kind of want a 1000 dollar old crap car for thanksgiving just to keep them from asking questions. Most people don't have a clue and I like it that way. I'm doing this for me not the Facebook cred.

That long lost uncle comes out from F*cking nowhere. That you didn't know that existed. Your parents forgot to mention. Because he was a drunk, or whatever reason. "Hey, Johnny!! Can you spare a few grand? I have this opportunity that I wish to pursue."

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Lol what do you tell them Kak when they ask what is it you do?

I tell them I own a few businesses. They typically ask how that's going and I say "it's going all right".

Every time....

I should come up with something better.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They typically ask how that's going and I say "it's going all right".

"Hanging in there" I found is nice, modest answer. That's my default. ;)

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
At least your not lying kak lol.

"Hanging in there" I found is nice, modest answer. That's my default. ;)

Do none of your family own your books MJ? Lol I dare say if you played the modest card and one of them read upon your success it would be a bit of a shock to them.

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
I can totally understand the urge to brag and especially to rub it in the faces of those who thought you would never amount to anything

But before I did I would just make sure they couldn't get my private phone number or home address

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Do none of your family own your books MJ?

I have a tiny family. Can count em on one hand and they have read the book. My "hanging in there" response is usually to strangers, sometimes friends.

jkkkjkhk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jan 23, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Any of you guys dealt with HS reunions since becoming fast lane? I definitely wasn't one of the "cool" kids, everyone telling me music wasn't going to work, I was going to be a loser/homeless... so I've always had the desire to go back and rub it into their faces, but most likely I won't even go anymore. A bunch of people I haven't talked to in 7+ years are essentially strangers now, most were only even acquaintances then. The few that I've traded words with over the last couple years were amazed enough that I moved across the country from MI to FL, guess it doesn't take much to impress those people.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I got an invitation to some class reunion not too long ago. I laughed and deleted it.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
749%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
One thing that did cut through the exhaustion was a task I’d been anticipating for more than six years: writing the Facebook post in which I announce to friends, former friends, frenemies, ex-girlfriends, college roommates, future wives, and family members that I was not in fact an obscure failure but a new, minor footnote in the annals of Silicon Valley startup successes.

This idea ranks just slightly behind Hitler's turning on Stalin and Ala ad-Din Muhammed killing Genghis Kahn's emissaries in the universal spectrum of poor life choices.

I hope he likes 5th cousins hitting him up for new driveways or pitching him shitty Android app ideas, because he's going to be dealing with that every day until he dies.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
I have a tiny family.
That's good. I have families and relatives in different parts of the world and the US. Had I been in your shoes I'll have family members coming out of the woodworks, like long lost uncles and aunts, distant cousins, probably a twin separated at birth.

How would you guys respond to a family member asking for money for whatever reason and they know that you have the cash but you are reluctant to give them?

Nathan Douglas

BB
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
May 23, 2014
Texas
That's good. I have families and relatives in different parts of the world and the US. Had I been in your shoes I'll have family members coming out of the woodworks, like long lost uncles and aunts, distant cousins, probably a twin separated at birth.

How would you guys respond to a family member asking for money for whatever reason and they know that you have the cash but you are reluctant to give them?

Simply say "I didn't bring enough for everyone".

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
If I got my payday for my years of hard work... you bet your a$$ I'd post it on facebook.
I think about that every day,

It's not for the attention, it's for all the people who told me "get a real job".
For all the friends working as assistant manager in a mcdonalds looking down on me for "not having a job".. talking to ME with pity in their voice!

Even now, living on my own, making a full living off of freelance and consulting work, I still get talked down to.
Met with crazy stares and uncomfortable silence as people hold back their snide remarks when I tell them I can't go to their party because I'm working on my business.
It's met with PITY. Friends and family alike.

I know it's not very gentlemenlike, but I look forward to the day I can I can boast.

Maybe it's different for the guys who are already quite a few years into their success...
or maybe it's a difference in personality...
or maybe you're not just surrounded by as many assholes as I am.

'Coming out' as a success and putting the people who pity me "in their place" is something I think about often...
and I'd totally be willing to put up with deadbeats asking me for money in order to do it.

I'm not in a position where this is a problem, but I've thought about this.

The same thing I'd do if an employee or a child asked me for money...
I'd make them work for it.

That way you don't need to feel bad no matter the outcome.
If they truly need the money but aren't willing to work for it then F*ck them... it's their own fault and they're just asking for handouts.
If they're willing to work for it, then you get something done for you that you probably would have paid someone for anyways.

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014

"Sorry, but all my money is tied up in investments right now"

Tobars Dobbs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Mar 3, 2014
I sold my startup for $25.5 million on Monday just after 2:23 p.m. Pacific Time.

Selling the company, Perfect Audience, to Marin Software took six months of writing carefully worded emails, meeting secretly in cafés, and pacing around the streets of San Francisco’s SoMa neighborhood after dark.

In the end, I sold Perfect Audience—a software platform which helps small businesses buy online ads—on a phone call on which I barely said anything at all. Our lawyers conferred with their lawyers.

Writing it was easy. I’d had six years to plot it in my head. I kept it simple and tried to strike the right mix between “Aw yeah!” and “Aw shucks!” No one likes a sore winner. I pushed it live and watched as over 400 comments rolled in.

Meanwhile my phone buzzed across my desk as it received text messages from people I’d not heard from in years. The middle school crush. The Sunday school teacher. The startup friends from Chicago. At last!

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-i-sold-my-startup-for-255-million-2014-6

@Rickson9 Congrats on the success, and the sale! It's amazing how one tweak in your business, from design work to ad re-targeting, culminated into $25.5M sale. Lesson #1: Follow the money!

Hats off!

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I think I have my new one now LOL.

What do you do? Consulting work. How is that? Hanging in there.

Done.
This had me dying. Funny shit. You are probably saying it with a semi-frown face. Getting that pat on the back: "It will be ok kiddo things will look up" Lmao

Tobars Dobbs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Mar 3, 2014
@Rickson9 Congrats on the success, and the sale! It's amazing how one tweak in your business, from design work to ad re-targeting, culminated into $25.5M sale. Lesson #1: Follow the money!

Hats off!
Next time I'll read the headline first before posting. Ha!
Anyway, If anyone knows this guy, tell him I said great job! LMAO

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If I got my payday for my years of hard work... you bet your a$$ I'd post it on facebook.

It's not for the attention, it's for all the people who told me "get a real job".
For all the friends working as assistant manager in a mcdonalds looking down on me for "not having a job".. talking to ME with pity in their voice!

Even now, living on my own, making a full living off of freelance and consulting work, I still get talked down to.
Met with crazy stares and uncomfortable silence as people hold back their snide remarks when I tell them I can't go to their party because I'm working on my business.

I know it's not very gentlemenlike, but I look forward to the day I can I can boast.

Maybe it's different for the guys who are already quite a few years into their success...

'Coming out' as a success and putting the people who pity me "in their place" is something I think about often...
and I'd totally be willing to put up with deadbeats asking me for money in order to do it.

If they truly need the money but aren't willing to work for it then F*ck them... it's their own fault and they're just asking for handouts.
If they're willing to work for it, then you get something done for you that you probably would have paid someone for anyways.

To me, this doesn't sound like you have your reasons right. Those people's opinions literally don't matter. I don't care to impress people I don't like.

If I got an exotic car it would be because it was something I wanted. If I go on vacation to a really cool place it is because I wanted to do that. If I get a big beautiful home it will be in a gated community for a reason, because it's for me. I have no interest in gaining the approval of people on my Facebook friends list. In fact the day things get truly real, I'll probably totally delete it. I've already deleted linkedin.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This had me dying. Funny shit. You are probably saying it with a semi-frown face. Getting that pat on the back: "It will be ok kiddo things will look up" Lmao

Funny thing, I have business cards that just say "consulting" on them. No business name, no business email, no office phone. ;)

Cell and personal email only.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
To me, this doesn't sound like you have your reasons right. Those people's opinions literally don't matter. I don't care to impress people I don't like.

If I got an exotic car it would be because it was something I wanted. If I go on vacation to a really cool place it is because I wanted to do that. If I get a big beautiful home it will be in a gated community for a reason, because it's for me. I have no interest in gaining the approval of people on my Facebook friends list. In fact the day things get truly real, I'll probably totally delete it. I've already deleted linkedin.

I'd like to say I don't care what other people think. In fact I'd LOVE to be that guy... who just doesn't care.
It's just not me.

I cant help but correct people when they say stupid things...
I can't help but get involved when somebody's citing fake facts about nutrition, the paranormal, science, or consumerism. I can't help but argue the fallacies other people live their lives by.

I don't know why man, but I feel COMPELLED to let people know when their closedmindedness or presumptions are completely blocking otherwise rational thought. It keeps me awake at night when I let people continue living their lives, even though they're completely wrong.

And when they're ignorant about ME and MY decisions, it's just amplified. It's true that they "don't matter" in the long run, but it's really hard to just not care. I've been trying to work on letting idiots be idiots and not to get involved, but it's a daily struggle.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Something that really helped me with this ^^

The circle of influence discussion in the seven habits of highly effective people. It makes a good case for focusing those worthless thoughts elsewhere.

http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/circle.htm

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@DennisDuty when you go this route, you give them control over you........ They are not worth that energy......

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013

I don't think I've ever agreed with Denis until now :)

They don't matter to you, your world is not everyone's. Learn to accept right or wrong, we all do things for our own reasons and you don't get to decide if my reasons are 'right'.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
you don't get to decide if my reasons are 'right'.

He gets to have an opinion on whether or not your reasons are productive... If you don't want your positions critiqued, then don't post them publicly.

Besides, it's a pretty easy thing to check. Is spending energy worrying about the opinions of others really helping you to get where you want to go? if so, then great! If not...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.