The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

After Selling His Startup For $25m People He Barely Knew Started Calling...

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Wow that is awful. I certainly don't want to be in a situation like that. I hadn't thought about it.

I wonder if renting in an area like that with would be different since they are complaining to the landlord and it is his problem if his fence isn't the right color for instance.

If the landlord is fastlane, they would be complaining to the property manager and the landlord would probably not hear about it ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
You do not need money to have respect....

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying you do... I'm simply saying if more people respect me for having it, i'm not against that....

& wouldn't try to hide it... At least I don't think I would.... I'm not in MJ's place or in the position many of the people are in this forum.

I will be though.

Last edited:

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Something that really helped me with this ^^
The circle of influence discussion in the seven habits of highly effective people. It makes a good case for focusing those worthless thoughts elsewhere.
http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/circle.htm
I actually haven't read 7 habbits. I'll get on that.

So when I made it into med school and later the residency of choice, you bet that I contemplated the Matt Damon "How about them apples?" moment. At the end of the day though, doing so gives them power over you.

Wow hahahahah! That exactly explains what I'm after... the "How about THEM apples!"
See the thing is, I LIVE for that moment. The "Who's The Bitch Now!" moment

But what I don't quite understand, and this goes to @Kak as well...
WHY does that give them power over me?

It sorta just seems like something nice to say but with no meaning.
"If you do that, the terrorists win".

I don't want to make anybody proud of me or get approval...
just sort of a "what now motherf#cker!?" deal... which actually suits my somewhat already loud personality.
I totally get how awesome it is to be the self assured quiet and deep type, but I'd really like to hear how I'm surrendering power

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Honestly, I'm not into that "power over you" and other blah blah psychology terms. My point is to always make sure you are doing things for the right reason. Someone on this forum once asked someone who was considering a Ferrari. "Would you still want it if you were the last person on earth?" That struck a note with me, my answer to that question needs to be yes before I do it.

Make it about no one but you. It's a simpler way to live.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'm not saying you do... I'm simply saying if more people respect me for having it, i'm not against that....

& wouldn't try to hide it... At least I don't think I would.... I'm not in MJ's place or in the position many of the people are in this forum.

I will be though.

See, I'm not trying to hide it. If I brought up my businesses in an average social setting it becomes a instant hour long conversation that I don't want to have.

People who know me and know what I'm up to, hell no, I love talking to those guys!

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I actually haven't read 7 habbits. I'll get on that.

Wow hahahahah! That exactly explains what I'm after... the "How about THEM apples!"
See the thing is, I LIVE for that moment. The "Who's The Bitch Now!" moment

It sorta just seems like something nice to say but with no meaning.
"If you do that, the terrorists win".

I don't want to make anybody proud of me or get approval...
just sort of a "what now motherf#cker!?" deal... which actually suits my somewhat already loud personality.
I totally get how awesome it is to be the self assured quiet and deep type, but I'd really like to hear how I'm surrendering power
Because having a moment like that as a primary motivation ends up being pretty hollow. Use that hah!
Honestly, I'm not into that "power over you" and other blah blah psychology terms. My point is to always make sure you are doing things for the right reason. Someone on this forum once asked someone who was considering a Ferrari. "Would you still want it if you were the last person on earth?" That struck a note with me, my answer to that question needs to be yes before I do it.

This. Plus the motivation has to be internal and not necessarily external. As in, "I want a Ferrari because I want one," not because everyone would think that you were cool, successful, etc. That ends up aligning you with who you are rather than changeable, externalities :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Which brings up the question... I can afford the Beemer but I don't want to spend money yet while I build the business. BUT what happens if I make a sales call for my SaaS thing and pull up in my current humble ride? Would that shoot me down before I even start?

Absolutely not. Funny story, I have an employee. A millionaire, or at least he cash flows like one. Went to dinner with him one night to an expensive steakhouse. Plenty of ferraris and Bentleys out front by the valet. He pulls up in his early 2000s toyota. The valet pulls around and he gives the guy a $100 tip. The guy acted like he just saved his life, needless to say he wasn't used to getting tips like that.

How about trying this one on for size. Know what you are talking about before you open your mouth. That is something that actually would cause someone to shoot you down.;)

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
& wouldn't try to hide it... At least I don't think I would.... I'm
Because having a moment like that as a primary motivation ends up being pretty hollow. Use that hah!

This. Plus the motivation has to be internal and not necessarily external. As in, "I want a Ferrari because I want one," not because everyone would think that you were cool, successful, etc. That ends up aligning you with who you are rather than changeable, externalities :)

None of us said that it was a primary motivation. I have tons of different motivations, some greater then others.

e.g. I'm super competitive and one of my motivations is being successful just because it IS so much of a challenge. I'm in competition with myself 24/7 and that's not something I could ever change. It's a obsession, probably a unhealthy one but, I don't care.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
None of us said that it was a primary motivation. I have tons of different motivations, some greater then others.
Whatever works, man.

Peace :)

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah
I'd like to say I don't care what other people think. In fact I'd LOVE to be that guy... who just doesn't care.
It's just not me.

I cant help but correct people when they say stupid things...
I can't help but get involved when somebody's citing fake facts about nutrition, the paranormal, science, or consumerism. I can't help but argue the fallacies other people live their lives by.

I don't know why man, but I feel COMPELLED to let people know when their closedmindedness or presumptions are completely blocking otherwise rational thought. It keeps me awake at night when I let people continue living their lives, even though they're completely wrong.

And when they're ignorant about ME and MY decisions, it's just amplified. It's true that they "don't matter" in the long run, but it's really hard to just not care. I've been trying to work on letting idiots be idiots and not to get involved, but it's a daily struggle.

It's a waste of your energy man. You need to take all of that effort you're using to care about stupid shit like that and use it on your business.
There is no point in trying to put people into their place, it's a total waste of time.

When I do hit pay-dirt, which I anticipate will be before I hit my mid 20s, I won't dare to post something as stupid as that on my facebook.
You need to realize that you're wasting valuable effort stooping to their levels. It's akin to a stupid teenager posting pictures of themselves getting "hella drunk", or kids and young adults that brag about how much molly they took before hitting up a rad EDM festival. No one F*cking cares about these people. Don't act like a degenerate. If you're a wealthy billionaire, act like one. If anything boasting is just going to do you more harm than it will do good for that one time temporary satisfaction you get for showing people how successful you are, which will totally blow back into your face just like it did to the guy in this article. I don't think anyone would enjoy having people beg them for money for the rest of their lives.

I apologize for the rant, but this is the kind of shit MJ is talking about in his book that really hit home for me. Social All media is a completely skewed reality filled with events, process not included. Is this the kind of shit you want to teach young people? I mean it's already too late, but why contribute to the problem. Who in their right mind would teach a young person that showing off their events with no indication of process even existing is okay. It's not okay.

The absolute farthest I'd personally go is to get someone taking a picture of me doing a wheelie on my dream motorcycle. That's pushing it. I wouldn't show my Lamborghini or Ferarri if I got one, and I'd probably just continue posting my paintings like I normally do on my facebook.
The SINGLE reason I have facebook is to stay in contact with friends who don't live in the same country as me. These people are the single reason why I'm not deleting my facebook.

Last edited:

GuestUser201

BRAAP!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 26, 2014
Park City, Utah

I completely agree, do what you need to do for you, not for anyone else. I'm not talking about donating to charity or buying your Mom a house. Do that, but don't go around acting like a sidewalker. It's unnecessary. When you make a facebook post bragging about your millions, you're literally giving people power to judge and harass you, when it could've otherwise been avoided. I really like this post, I will also ask myself if what I'm doing is really for me in the future, or if I have some other sub-concious ulterior motive for it ie. proving people wrong. It just breeds jealousy and hate. It's just pointless, mis-directed effort.

I'd by lying if I said I wanted a Lamborghini or litre-bike just for me. But my dream bike, the DRZ400SM, is TRULY all for me. I don't care what anyone thinks I want to be able to ride on sidewalks, staircases, streets, and farmland. All for my own enjoyment. :)

Last edited:

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Maybe I gave off the wrong impression... because I really don't care to impress anybody, I don't care for status, I don't care if other people see me as a success or failure. That wasn't really the issue.

The issue for me:
I REALLY like games, and I REALLY like winning.
I'm super competitive and I get no satisfaction competing with myself,
or winning in silence. I like winning loud and hard.

When I play to win, I tell my competitors how much I won by and I don't let them forget it.
And that's how I view the whole "reveal" to frenemies.

Even if I were the last person on earth, I'd grab myself a Suzuki DRZ400sm Supermoto. 50mpg, dirt-bike frame, street tires, high-reliablity, high-ground clearance. You can't go wrong.
I'd love to see you and your bike in a Zombie movie, I think it'd work well.

I never really liked automobiles, TBH.
Yeah... they get you around but I never saw one that resonated with me or made me turn my head.
High-end luxury automobiles seemed like a waste of cash and impractical.

I think the only car I REMOTELY like is the '06 Dodge Charger.

EDIT: Actually, after seeing the 2013 model in Defiance, I became a fan of that as well.
2013-Dodge-Charger-Defiance.jpg

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Ummm I'm not huge into cars either...but I know I want a BOAT for me!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
"sorry guys, I tried to double up by going to vegas and I put it all on black. So false alarm, anyone got a job for me?"

"I still accomplished a lot though, and aim to build up again, so am celebrating with burgers at mine if anyone wants in let me know"

The best kind of confidence doesn't prove itself to anyone.
I've noticed that as I get better, I actually care very little about millions etc.
Cuz if you have an efficient system, then who cares.

Last edited:

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Exactly I dont want the fancy cars or anything anymore.
I just want to feel free. Successful enough to be Free enabling me to do what I want when I want by no means does it have to be flashy. If i wanted to go on a holiday tomorrow I could but still have to come back and face the shit when i got back. Reason would be nice to have investments which made passive income.
tumblr_li6mh3cMJi1qeplj6o1_400.gif

That's what it comes down to for me. I'll have what I want without having to brag about it. I'll live how I want without having to scream about it. If I choose to share it, I will - and because I wish to, but not in the spirit of 'Look at me now,' although I hold nothing against someone who wishes to be that way. We all celebrate differently.

True freedom is at the end of the fastlane system. And for me, my fastlane might seriously end at a smaller amount of money per month than most people here would want to applaud for.

Either way, in my mind, I'm winning. Either way.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
In the past 2 months my attitude about this has changed COMPLETELY. 180 flip.
I no longer care about the competitiveness of it, I don't care about winning or rubbing anything in other people's faces.

If I sold Castleforge tomorrow for $25m, I'd rather keep most of it private.
I'd observe a quiet, calm, private victory party with me and my brothers.
That's it.

I'd feel so happy with my accomplishments, that the relative pleasure of gloating would be minimal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.