The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Admitting there's a problem is the first step.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I spoke with the director, to make sure they'd be accepting of the two protection items. "Hmmmmm, very interesting. Sure, we could pass them out." You're a forward thinker, Vig. Maybe you always were, maybe you learned it. Either way, you're right - it will impact the lives of a few dozen people, and that feels awesome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Whew, hell of a night and it's just beginning. Been stuck at my house since about 10 minutes after I got home, tree fell and left us all stuck, no power, no gas for the generator (my fault, I forgot to refill), so I'm officially rescheduling the delivery until Saturday morning. 11:30pm here, and we 're going to my in-laws.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Whew, hell of a night and it's just beginning. Been stuck at my house since about 10 minutes after I got home, tree fell and left us all stuck, no power, no gas for the generator (my fault, I forgot to refill), so I'm officially rescheduling the delivery until Saturday morning. 11:30pm here, and we 're going to my in-laws.

This drama started several days ago, have you not delivered the donations yet?

For the sake of those who need what has been donated, you should probably take @Vigilante up on his offer to provide postage.

I haven't followed this thread very closely, but it seems you're pathologically incapable of getting past your own issues to do what others need.

good luck with your fallen tree, work harder on your hurdle jumping skills.

G

GuestUser113

No you won't. Something else will "magically" happen again.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
@IAmTheJeff : Ummmm, yeah. Just get it done man. No more excuses. For the love of all

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Delivery is done, thanks a bunch to @CarrieW for helping me out. I have only two photos, one of the outside of the building and one of the top of the tax deduction sheet, as proof.

There was no fanfare, there was no relieving feeling, and as much as the lady inside acted appreciative, I don't think she actually cared so much. My job with them isn't done, but that has nothing to do with this challenge. The place is in a very depressed part of the city, and was not comfortable to be near or inside of. It was not anything like I expected, and in time I would like to work on helping them change that.

Just letting you all know that it's done. I have some things I have to work on, business to put my effort in to, and personal shit to take care of.

@Vigilante, I'll send you your tax deduction form out on Monday. @frieden70 , I'll PM you shortly.

EDIT to add: photos are too large. I'll email them to myself a upload after I resize at home tonight.

Last edited:

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
The place is in a very depressed part of the city, and was not comfortable to be near or inside of. It was not anything like I expected, and in time I would like to work on helping them change that.

Just curious, what were you expecting? In my younger days I was the frontman for an industrial/performance band, and experienced the darker and dingier parts of several cities around the country. At one point I was literally chain-and-padlocked into a converted garage in Queens, the owner didn't have a spare key, good thing there was no fire! People in those areas tend to be poor and desperate so your first impression will be a wall of security and hostility...but once they know you're not there to kill or rob them (and the people you're talking to aren't planning to kill or rob you!) they tend to be friendly, assuming you can dress and act appropriately for the situation.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Just curious, what were you expecting? In my younger days I was the frontman for an industrial/performance band, and experienced the darker and dingier parts of several cities around the country. At one point I was literally chain-and-padlocked into a converted garage in Queens, the owner didn't have a spare key, good thing there was no fire! People in those areas tend to be poor and desperate so your first impression will be a wall of security and hostility...but once they know you're not there to kill or rob them (and the people you're talking to aren't planning to kill or rob you!) they tend to be friendly, assuming you can dress and act appropriately for the situation.
I was expecting more of an accepting environment, not necessarily inviting per-say, but a less aggressive feel from the employee.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I was expecting more of an accepting environment, not necessarily inviting per-say, but a less aggressive feel from the employee.

There's a pretty good chance that the women who run these shelters have been victims of abuse themselves (it's pretty typical that, once you're free, you want to help others escape the abuse as well). May times the locations of the shelters are kept hidden/private because abusive significant others often come looking for the women who have "escaped." I do eating disorder coaching & one time a woman who had been accepted to one such shelter contacted me for help. I had to jump through quite a few hoops to even get the street address so I could meet her there (she had no car). They don't play around when it comes to protecting the women they take in. It was very good to see.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
There was no fanfare, there was no relieving feeling, and as much as the lady inside acted appreciative, I don't think she actually cared so much.

Yes, this...

There's a pretty good chance that the women who run these shelters have been victims of abuse themselves.

Plus, as much as donations are appreciated and useful, they are just a band-aid on the real needs and challenges of shelters.

In a children's shelter in my area, the last thing they need are more toys or clothing items at Christmas. There are plenty of people that provide these things, and after a while, the material items become even more of an "issue" for the kids that are already headed down a road of having difficult emotional issues around possessions.

I am not at all diminishing the gifts that are given to shelters in terms of material goods. Certainly they are needed and appreciated. Imagine what it would be like if NO ONE thought about the material needs of battered women, families in poverty, or children in the foster care system.

Having said that, if this type of thing is something that is meaningful to you, consider giving in other ways such as...

• Provide support services (time) to volunteer at help hotlines.
  • Offer to teach financial education classes to women that may need retraining or be going out on their own for the first time.
  • Become a foster parent.
  • Become a support person for a foster family (meals, help cleaning, or respite care)
  • The list is endless, but you get the idea :)

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
There was no fanfare, there was no relieving feeling, and as much as the lady inside acted appreciative, I don't think she actually cared so much

Thats a lesson right there!

Thats why we do it.

(taps chest)

It might not seem this way, but you can learn from this. Victories are always humble. Sometimes, even moreso when there is a ticker tape parade.
This is why you learn to pursue business and giving in life, not based on the pleasantries you will have recieved but on the down to earth role you will play.

Most want a star spangled celebration, but the truth is gritty.
It can be awe inspiring and it can take your breath away. But usually thats through the effort itself, through how hard you worked and through the inner gold you spun.

I'd say it was a great experience :)
You took action, stopped whining, know how to reevaluate better, failed a few times, got pats on the back and burdened some people's antsiness
Bingo.

F*cking spot on, and it has helped you, if only you continue to question your path moving forwards and replace this thread with a process inside you.

Process is the reward here.

A HUGE shoutout to all those that donated!!! You guys did great stuff for people that clear as day needed it, badass! I hope we can all do similar things as we get up in our success and remember these poor people.
Yeah you won't get fanfare, but are we so vain? Helping people and working with those that need our help is tiring bs work, and while we can walk away from it, they can't.
Seeing something in need of change, that is the reason why, and that is why we are all here are we not?

Great thread thanks to Vig, Zen and Jeff (and those who contributed)
I dunno about anyone else but I sure as h#ll feel better the donation is there :)

cheers1.jpg

This is the good stuff :)

Here here, to all of you trench warriors

Last edited:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Great stuff man. This is a big event-step for you.

The lesson here is 'Do not leave your happiness in the applause of others.'

F*ck their ovations, whether the ovations of the homeless, or of the family members who might end up resenting you out of jealousy.

You are beyond that. Enjoy your progress while multiplying it.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I am happy to see that you kept your promise. Good. There is a very solid lesson there.

Last edited:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I think she acted like any weekend front office staff would.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
I am happy to see that you kept your promise. Good. There is a very solid lesson there.
There IS a solid lesson here. This "event" coupled with some personal "you keep F*cking up" realizations inspired by a few people over the weekend leads to this (don't give me any shit for this, you won't understand it for a few months, I promise):

It's a few days late for Independence Day, but this post is my Declaration of Independence. I'm declaring that I'm independent from bullshit, excuses, hiding, mental masturbation, "SOS", and bring a child. Here, at 30 years old, I've grown up. It's time time actually get shit done, not for fear of what you people think, but for fear of never completing anything that I set out to do in life. It's time to be a closer, and I'll accept nothing less from myself.

All the knowledge and advice that's available everywhere, I've soaked it all up, like a child learning how to walk or speak. I can teach business to a lot of people, and anyone that has what I've learned will be successful if they take action properly.

Well it's time I put these learnings on to action myself, instead of just having it and doing little with it. Sure, money is tight, but I've learned (easily) 50 ways to make cash quickly to fund something, and many of them require nothing to start. Why haven't I done any of them? Fear and Laziness. A brilliant woman shared a video with me weeks ago, and because I was being lazy, I only finally watched it over the weekend. That video is highly motivational and intelligently orchestrated, but if I didn't open my mind before viewing it, I definitely would have just gotten mad and dismissed it, telling myself that I'm right, and they're just assholes.

Yeah yeah, wall of text, go do something. Sounds good to me.

Thanks for sticking with me on this one, everyone. I'll link to a progress thread when it's time. For now, I go in to a long dormancy, because there's stuff to do :)

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
There IS a solid lesson here. This "event" coupled with some personal "you keep F*cking up" realizations inspired by a few people over the weekend leads to this (don't give me any shit for this, you won't understand it for a few months, I promise):

It's a few days late for Independence Day, but this post is my Declaration of Independence. I'm declaring that I'm independent from bullshit, excuses, hiding, mental masturbation, "SOS", and bring a child. Here, at 30 years old, I've grown up. It's time time actually get shit done, not for fear of what you people think, but for fear of never completing anything that I set out to do in life. It's time to be a closer, and I'll accept nothing less from myself.

All the knowledge and advice that's available everywhere, I've soaked it all up, like a child learning how to walk or speak. I can teach business to a lot of people, and anyone that has what I've learned will be successful if they take action properly.

Well it's time I put these learnings on to action myself, instead of just having it and doing little with it. Sure, money is tight, but I've learned (easily) 50 ways to make cash quickly to fund something, and many of them require nothing to start. Why haven't I done any of them? Fear and Laziness. A brilliant woman shared a video with me weeks ago, and because I was being lazy, I only finally watched it over the weekend. That video is highly motivational and intelligently orchestrated, but if I didn't open my mind before viewing it, I definitely would have just gotten mad and dismissed it, telling myself that I'm right, and they're just assholes.

Yeah yeah, wall of text, go do something. Sounds good to me.

Thanks for sticking with me on this one, everyone. I'll link to a progress thread when it's time. For now, I go in to a long dormancy, because there's stuff to do :)
You should print this out and look at it every day, otherwise you will forget it. Wake up every morning and look at it as you go to the bathroom. Carry it around with you in your pocket so that every time you touch that slip of paper, you remember what you need to do. And before you go to bed each evening, look at it once more. Constantly remind yourself that you are no longer a child anymore. That you've grown up. And now, you're an adult.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Oh and make a good process for yourself and detach yourself from the idea that you need to impress anyone on this forum.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
You should print this out and look at it every day, otherwise you will forget it. Wake up every morning and look at it as you go to the bathroom. Carry it around with you in your pocket so that every time you touch that slip of paper, you remember what you need to do. And before you go to bed each evening, look at it once more. Constantly remind yourself that you are no longer a child anymore. That you've grown up. And now, you're an adult.
I'm trying to figure out how to fit it on my screen all at once, to make it my lock screen on my phone.
Oh and make a good process for yourself and detach yourself from the idea that you need to impress anyone on this forum.
That's an excellent point!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
May I suggest that you don't compare yourself to ANYONE. The only battle you fight is with yourself. Be a better you than yesterday. Do that for an entire year and you will have made tremendous progress, and changes.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@IAmTheJeff, get another donation together on your own and deliver it on you own. Then don't tell a damn soul.

Don't need to tell you why. It will be the most important thing you have ever done.

D

DeletedUser394

@IAmTheJeff, get another donation together on your own and deliver it on you own. Then don't tell a damn soul.

Don't need to tell you why. It will be the most important thing you have ever done.

I've always disagreed with the whole 'do something charitable and don't tell anybody.'

Why not? If anything you're planting a seed and potentially inspiring someone else to do something similar.

Vig sent $500 worth of stuff to someone he's never met with the intention of having that person donate it to a worthy cause? That's AWESOME and inspiring.

I love hearing about random acts of kindness, as well as large multi million dollar donations and everything in between. Recently in my area a life long oil executive donated $100 million to a university's medical department which will now bear his name. Good for him, I don't fault him at all for the attention. It's great to hear good news for a change rather than all the violence, death and misery usually spoonfed to us.

A good deed is not diminished in any way by sharing it with others. I'd rather have people bragging about good deeds than about their latest gizmo that doesn't mean anything in the end.

If I'd have never been exposed to people helping others (by them sharing the fact that they gave/did whatever), then I know for certain that I would never have done half of the charitable things I've done in my life.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
My thought was IAmTheJeff needs an opportunity to prove to himself that he can do something on his own. Not for approval, not to inspire others, not catching a ride from someone that knows he has to do it...... On his own. If he can get the doubt out of his own mindset and get away from the excuses and show himself that he can do it 'on his own', he can change the world.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
My thought was IAmTheJeff needs an opportunity to prove to himself that he can do something on his own. Not for approval, not to inspire others, not catching a ride from someone that knows he has to do it...... On his own. If he can get the doubt out of his own mindset and get away from the excuses and show himself that he can do it 'on his own', he can change the world.
Now that you've explained it, I'm working on doing that, after I'm profitable. Doing the math, I actually end up LOSING money in my day job. I have to take care of that problem first.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
No.....not even close.......

I am talking about keeping a commitment 'on your own'. Not with excuses, not with forum members bailing you out, not with 'I'll do that after....'.

You jacked up the donation. You had to get bailed out to even get it in when you did.

I saw a life changing opportunity where you could make a second donation and say to yourself, 'I am grown up. I will make a difference today and create some value to the world today. And I will do it on my own accord without anyone telling me or prompting me or doing it for me. I am my own man and I will make a difference. I will get up off my a$$ and I will do it now.'.

I hope you do it, brother. I hope you do.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Any updates? Rootin4u

D

DeletedUser394

@IAmTheJeff It's been over 2 months. Would love to read an update from you. What's been going on?

Been 6 months since the last post at this point.

OP gave up? Hope not. Actually don't really care either way.

Vig went out of his way to do something nice for that shelter and this guy could barely get it together to make the donation.

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
You are at peace with who you are. You are not seeking validation from others, including the business owners you are contacting. You give yourself permission to be your true self...a guy who only wants to solve the pains of others, with zero attachment to personal gain. When you approach them with sincerity and show your authentic flawed self with them, they will do the same and admit their pains and needs to you. That is all you need...to love others.

For it is in giving that we receive…and that is the true essence of the Fastlane. It’s not about you. It’s about them.

Incredible write up, you Sir are a gift to this world

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.