The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Adding 10 new habits at once

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
This is a bullshit theory based on a bullshit study.

Look up the studies this theory is based on. All bullshit.

Doing things allows you to build work ethic and do more things. Anyone that says different is a simp.

Hmm, I don't know.
Those studies showed that it is easier to accomplish a task at the beginning of the day as compared to late in the night. I found it true to some extend.

Basically people tend to postpone a task if their schedule is delayed in the slightest. For most, their routine starts at the beginning of the day and once they break that schedule, they get demotivated and leave the rest of the work for tomorrow. This also shows why students who complete assignments in the morning or during the day generally tend to finish it as compared to those who keep it pending for the night. Again, people trying to prepare for an interview and trying to lose weight at the same time are often said to fail at both.

I'd love to hear your say on this, I don't believe this but my teacher said it so.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pmaloneus

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Dec 3, 2017
US
I just did it last month for January, loved it, and will do it for the rest of the year.

I broke down the habits in groups - Family, Health, Growth, and Other. The habits were small enough to where it could easily be done in the day, but not so easy that it would take a second or two. Some might take the whole day (drinking 64 oz of water), while some a minute or two (visualize the success i want in the day.

I failed at some of the habits i wanted to track, but for the most part kept too it. With so many habits it feels like you're changing your entire being for the positive sometimes. Which is great mostly, but can get overwhelming as well. My habits track to my goals, so it was good to see progress in small small chunks.

Do what works for you.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I have seen and read about a lot of studies... and there are more than one... How have you experienced this aspect of your energy flows? I know I get tired after doing difficult stuff and it's harder to keep my resolve and my schedule later in the day. Do you ever find that to be true for you?

It's interesting that you are talking about "work ethic and do more things." There's also a matter of pacing, your natural bio-rhythm, and planning tasks so you can work smart. When you get really good at any task or skill, you can work everyone around you into the ground -- all while making it look easy.

I know a lot about hard work and long hours... BUT I want all that work and time to really count by showing great progress.

The "studies" are typically as follows on college campuses with college students:

A student is sent into a room with a cookie and radishes. Told to eat the radishes and not the cookies. Then asked to do a task after eating the radishes. The conclusion always is "because the person had to use willpower to not eat the cookies, they had less energy to carry out the after-ceding tasks".

In reality, the conclusion should be: "if you offend someone by making them eat radishes when there's cookies in front of them, they're likely not going to care about your dumb task". These studies are flawed. Have little to do with willpower. More to do with offending individuals.

In terms of energy flows - no, I don't believe you have a positive impact the same day. Your energy naturally wanes as the day goes on.

However, if you discipline yourself each day, as the days progress, you'll develop a greater amount of "energy per day". It's basically "building discipline" and "work ethic".

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 1, 2015
Most people say you have to add one habit at a time. But most people are average. I don’t want to be average. Therefore I’ve decided as a first step in my entrepreneurial journey, I need some better habits.

I’ve clarified my goals and visions and identified 10 specific actions that, if I took them daily, would catapult me in the direction I want to go.

The challenge. To perform 10 actions correctly for 30 days and thereby condition 10 new habits. I’m posting this thread partly to hold myself accountable. At the end of Feb I will check in with the results and if I succeeded.

Batch them together and call them a challenge. Do the challenge every day for 75 days. Done.

William Ainslie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Dec 13, 2016
South Africa
This is a bullshit theory based on a bullshit study.

Look up the studies this theory is based on. All bullshit.

Doing things allows you to build a work ethic and do more things. Anyone that says differently is a simp.
No studies here, only observation in me and the men I help - the more of the right things get done and keeps getting done the happier we get. It defines who we are, and no we still seek "effortless effort".
Sometimes the effort is unpleasant, but it becomes easier until the momentum takes over.

I prefer doing as little as possible - but momentum helps keep the sickness away.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
well... the result is quite clear

WM Roger

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Mar 5, 2018
At the start of the new year I decided to embark on a similar journey. Granted I was already doing some of these at the end of last year, but with limited success.

The system I set up is a modified version of MJ's kaizen spreadsheet, but color-coded for visual clarity with completion percentages for each day. It's also categorized by the type of habit.

Every night before bed, I fill out MJ's Fastlane Checklist which is also the "plan tmoro" habit in the spreadsheet. I find it helpful to write out the habits and my list of other To Do's for that day that aren't recurring habits. It helps solidify them and closes that reward circuit when you physically cross them off the list.

I carry this list with me in a folder everywhere I go within reason. If not, I snap a picture of it for reference and cross stuff off when I can get to the physical copy. Then at the end of the day, I fire up the spreadsheet and fill everything in digitally so I can map the progress over time.

This is what it looks like so far one month in (blurred out the "bad habits" I'm trying to correct as they are more personal). Green is complete, red is partial or incomplete.

View attachment 30034

Based on the results here are some of my takeaways:
  • I could have done much better getting my "one thing" done, and it's possible the volume of habits could be getting in the way of that slightly. At the same time, you could argue that overall they are a net gain to productivity.
  • Obviously the first bad habit on the list was my biggest weak point. I have to admit, it's more of an addiction than a bad habit which is why I struggled so hard with it. I'm working to tweak my approach so I can get that nipped in the bud this coming month.
  • I noticed that the more momentum I build around a habit, the easier it is to stick with it. Once I start to get in the red a few days in a row, it becomes harder and harder to bounce back.
To set myself up for success in February, I will be waking up a few hours before work to attack my "one thing" with as much energy as possible. I will also be joining an accountability group for the #1 bad habit that is holding me back right now that I can't seem to kick.

Overall, I would definitely recommend giving this a shot if you want to build a bunch of new habits quickly. It's almost like a game that makes the difficult parts of life a lot more fun.

This thing is Golden! Thanks for sharing this tool.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
end of the show?

Hey all sorry I fell off a bit. Here’s what I’ve learned in the last few days. For the direction I want to go in my life right now I value 3 of these 10 habits way above the others. So if I’ve done those 3, it’s like 80-90% successful day in my mind regardless of what happens with the other 7. So I’m still gonna strive for 10 but gonna also focus on the much more attainable goal of the 3 most important.

So I don’t know how many of the 10 I’ve done today, maybe I’ll check later, but I’ve done the 3 ones I most care about so I’m calling today a success under my new criteria.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
If you abandon this thread for even one day, you're exposed as being average.

I never denied I was average currently. I said I don’t want to be. Improving my habits is my first step on the journey to not being average.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
give away, throw away or clean up just one thing every day

That is a fantastic habit. And that's actually phrased in the form of a more concrete action then the one I had which is essentially the same, so I think I'm going to adopt that.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Even if you are unable to maintain consistency in your habits daily, be consistent with some of the habits you set up as your goal.
Yes, this turned out to be key.

I feel like if I can maintain consistency in just these 3 the quality of my life will improve massively.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Yes, this turned out to be key.

I feel like if I can maintain consistency in just these 3 the quality of my life will improve massively.
If you feel like trying to do much stuff, follow the 80 20 rule.

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
The "studies" are typically as follows on college campuses with college students:

A student is sent into a room with a cookie and radishes. Told to eat the radishes and not the cookies. Then asked to do a task after eating the radishes. The conclusion always is "because the person had to use willpower to not eat the cookies, they had less energy to carry out the after-ceding tasks".

In reality, the conclusion should be: "if you offend someone by making them eat radishes when there's cookies in front of them, they're likely not going to care about your dumb task". These studies are flawed. Have little to do with willpower. More to do with offending individuals.

In terms of energy flows - no, I don't believe you have a positive impact the same day. Your energy naturally wanes as the day goes on.

However, if you discipline yourself each day, as the days progress, you'll develop a greater amount of "energy per day". It's basically "building discipline" and "work ethic".

It's been a week. I was testing what you said. I tried studying more than 6 hours daily, eat only vegetables and maintain less than 100 carbs daily and also walk 10 kms in the evening. Turns out I did all of them just fine, and one part of my goal wasn't related to the other. The thought of giving up didn't even come to my mind.

My take: You were right, someone who has the habit of taking actions doesn't care about one habit or 10. But if it was me a year back, I would give up after 3 days, maybe because that habit of doing something wasn't instilled in me. So I believe this willpower concept varies with individuals.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
It's been a week. I was testing what you said. I tried studying more than 6 hours daily, eat only vegetables and maintain less than 100 carbs daily and also walk 10 kms in the evening. Turns out I did all of them just fine, and one part of my goal wasn't related to the other. The thought of giving up didn't even come to my mind.

My take: You were right, someone who has the habit of taking actions doesn't care about one habit or 10. But if it was me a year back, I would give up after 3 days, maybe because that habit of doing something wasn't instilled in me. So I believe this willpower concept varies with individuals.

That's awesome!

Yeah. Work ethic/habits are just a matter of discipline. The more you practice discipline, the easier it gets.

My problem with the "willpower" studies is as follows... (1) the study isn't a valid study; and (2) it's a horrible mindset to have if you're an ambitious individual.

The correct mindset to have is the one you have right now: Let's go out and kick a$$ because we live once and might as well. The primary limits we have are the limits that we place on ourselves. As long as you keep a 'I can do anything' mindset, you'll be a lot better off than placing artificial limits (excuses) on yourself.

I hope you keep hitting your goals!

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
My problem with the "willpower" studies is as follows... (1) the study isn't a valid study; and (2) it's a horrible mindset to have if you're an ambitious individual
I have read that how your willpower works is based on what you believe about willpower.
Willpower has a huge placebo effect.
If you really believe that you have infinite willpower than you will behave accordingly.

Unfortunantley most people have shitty beliefs and mediocre self-images.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
Ok, the month is coming to close quick so another update.

I've started to develop a daily routine around accomplishing my top 3 habits. This involves a specific list of about 14 actions, including one action that I take first thing in the morning. I've definitely found that it wasn't as much the fact that I wasn't waking up as early as I wanted to, it was that I was doing the wrong things when I got up.

I've also clarified out of my top 3 habits which is my #1. This means if on certain days I can't accomplish all 3, I might be able to do at least my top 1 and keep the momentum going on that one.

I'm going to grind on this for one more week and then come back with a final report.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
I just thought It would be fine to bring accountability to this thread.

Remember that it's possible if you commit to it. You can add 10 habits to your life, but they don't need to happen all at once.

The most effective for me was dopamine detox. Hard work becomes easy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.