The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

how to learn multiple skills at once

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
The brain has this thing where if you aren't using knowledge, it will weaken and forget most of the memories and pathways you have formed. Similar to how you will lose musscle after not exercising for prolonged periods of time.

Most of you guys already know this.

But if you're an A, then B, then C, then D kind of person, this can become a problem when you need to know multiple skillsets for your future success. How?

I was working on my website I wanted to implement a feature that required an advanced knowledge of JavaScript. I figured since I already knew HTML and CSS very well it was time for me to start learning again. I asked my aunt to get me JavaScript for dummies for Christmas. When I got the book, I studied HARD for the following two weeks and completely dropped everything else.

Surprise surprise… when I decided to sit down at my desk and start coding again, I forgot a very significant amount of information. I had to google and re-learn many things I already knew before.

If this sounds like a problem you have then the solution for this is very simple. Take all of the skills you will need to know and set a goal to study each one for a certain period of time each day. This is my example here:

HTML: 0/2 hours
CSS: 0/2 hours
JavaScript:0/2 hours *After reaching 10 hours on each, put your new knowledge to the test with a project or event. Giving you a short term goal to look forward to.*
PHP: 0/2 hours
SQL: 0/2 hours

The very second you start working, set a timer or stopwatch. The very moment you stop working, pause it. record it on a white board or an app and come back to it later.

You can set your own hours according to your schedule. if you're busy you can do 30 minutes a day on each. If you're younger and live with your parents you can do 3 hours. It really just depends on your commitment level and what your average day looks like.

I've been using this system for the past week and I remember everything I learn pretty damn well. Hope this post helped you guys out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Cool post, Christopher!

It looks like a training of the famous boxer Muhammad Ali - his coach allowed him to train whatever he wants at the moment. He could use jumping rope for 10 minutes, than change it to punching bag and so on... If he felt like it they could train just one thing for the whole training.

So how he was training was totally up to Muhammad - not his coach.

I've heard that his technique was more effective than doing the A thing, than B thing, and so on.

Mark Manson said something like if the thing you are doing is not robotic, the progress is not linear. So basically what he means is that doing something is worth doing it for a certain amount of hours.

For example - for him writing a book for 2 hours was most effective. Writing a book for 4 hours was not so effective, but mostly worth it. Every sentence he wrote after that - mostly worthless.

I am not sure if it is going to apply with your technique, but it is still interesting to try. I think I might try it soon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.