The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

About to buy my dream car

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
I actually had the same kind of story like MJ with his first love after seeing a lamborghini. I had it with a Mustang (Shelby) at a gas station when I was 16 years old.

I was in awe at the car, but saw an old grey fat dude pumping gas into it with a snobby wife in the passenger seat. I decided I would own one myself someday, when I was still young and fit.

Because of a lot of luck, I am now able and about to buy my dream car (not an actual shelby, but the same body kit). I have had it as a phone background for years when I was broke.

Did any of you buy your dream car? Did you love it? Regret it? Tell me your stories

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I actually had the same kind of story like MJ with his first love after seeing a lamborghini. I had it with a Mustang (Shelby) at a gas station when I was 16 years old.

I was in awe at the car, but saw an old grey fat dude pumping gas into it with a snobby wife in the passenger seat. I decided I would own one myself someday, when I was still young and fit.

Because of a lot of luck, I am now able and about to buy my dream car (not an actual shelby, but the same body kit). I have had it as a phone background for years when I was broke.

Did any of you buy your dream car? Did you love it? Regret it? Tell me your stories
Dont have a dream car, but I`ll tell you one thing.
Dont forget to haggle on the price ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did you love it? Regret it? Tell me your stories

Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

However as I got older, I started enjoying the cars less and less.

Culture has made rich people the villain. Any visible signs of such is subject to being a target. Years ago I experienced this; had someone hammer and shatter my window on my Lambo, had empty soda cans tossed into the open cockpit, had aggressive drivers tailgate me in their shitbox Hondas...

I can't imagine how bad it is today.

For me, it simply is no longer worth the drama and the attention.

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA
Personally, I wouldn't do it, but you will, and for the same reasons I did...I needed to make my own mistakes.

I would say that what I actually wanted was all the emotions and feelings that came with the wherewithal to be a able to get the car. However after purchasing the car, it lasted all of 5 months in the garage, and the romance of the achievement was gone in 5 weeks.

You may be different, you may truly unlock zen like fulfillment on the purchase, but for me, it became an expensive maintenance black hole, a hassle to take out as I had to move the daily driver to get to it, and a reminder that what I really wanted was to feel what "being able to" felt like, not so much the embodiment that came with it.

I'd also add to what MJ shared. It makes you a target, and unless your career is stunting on IG, I don't know that the attention is helpful.

Were I to do it all over again, I'd go on TURO and rent whatever I'm thinking of buying for a few days or perhaps a week. See how much I actually drive it and if I really would want to own it. For me, I'm guessing I'll be glad to have the rental picked up and rent something else after that.

Just my 2¢

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

However as I got older, I started enjoying the cars less and less.

Culture has made rich people the villain. Any visible signs of such is subject to being a target. Years ago I experienced this; had someone hammer and shatter my window on my Lambo, had empty soda cans tossed into the open cockpit, had aggressive drivers tailgate me in their shitbox Hondas...

I can't imagine how bad it is today.

For me, it simply is no longer worth the drama and the attention.
I haven't bought my "dream car" yet but last week I was driving in my new SVR with the full carbon pack including the hood.

I got out to deliver some boxes at UPS, and I overheard two guys, around my age, saying "daddy's money".

Lmfao. I just smiled and walked away.

I can't wait until I get a lambo this year!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
What’s an SVR? @MoneyDoc

And what are people’s dream cars? I have cars I like but I don’t have a dream car. I wouldn’t mind having Jay Leno’s collection! haha

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
@MoneyDoc - thanks, I am embarrassed to now admit that my daily is a RR Sport Autobiography!

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
Personally, I wouldn't do it, but you will, and for the same reasons I did...I needed to make my own mistakes.

I would say that what I actually wanted was all the emotions and feelings that came with the wherewithal to be a able to get the car. However after purchasing the car, it lasted all of 5 months in the garage, and the romance of the achievement was gone in 5 weeks.

You may be different, you may truly unlock zen like fulfillment on the purchase, but for me, it became an expensive maintenance black hole, a hassle to take out as I had to move the daily driver to get to it, and a reminder that what I really wanted was to feel what "being able to" felt like, not so much the embodiment that came with it.

I'd also add to what MJ shared. It makes you a target, and unless your career is stunting on IG, I don't know that the attention is helpful.

Were I to do it all over again, I'd go on TURO and rent whatever I'm thinking of buying for a few days or perhaps a week. See how much I actually drive it and if I really would want to own it. For me, I'm guessing I'll be glad to have the rental picked up and rent something else after that.

Just my 2¢

If you were to do it again, you would make other choices. But do you absolutely regret making the decision back then? In a "I wish I had not done that" way?

Because to me it feels like I would regret not doing it more than doing it and losing interest later on.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
If you were to do it again, you would make other choices. But do you absolutely regret making the decision back then? In a "I wish I had not done that" way?

Because to me it feels like I would regret not doing it more than doing it and losing interest later on.

Just buy it when its not a big thing.

The only way it is going to be a big regret is if you totally over leveraged yourself.
Big difference between buying a Lambo with 200k in the bank and 2m.

If it wasn't a big deal to start with then either way you are sorted. If you need to sell you can hold and wait for a good deal. If you need some extra repairs then you can afford them. If the value dips 10% you aren't freaking out.

If you buy it and you are maxed out on the purchase though then very quickly it is going to feel terrible. You got something you can't really afford and now massive regret and guilt kicks in. Any issues or expenses are going to feel 100 times worse. And you also will see the business side of things drop off since all your cash is locked up in a car.

If you have to think about it that much then it's probably too early.
Wait till it's easy to buy. It will feel way better.

Choices

Never Settle
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Sep 3, 2019
Switzerland
I can't wait until I get a lambo this year!
Yeah, I can't wait till I get a Veyron this yr. W16 gang?

@KAIZOS if you really like cars so much just buy it. I only owned 1 car and I spent every single penny on it. I owned my "dream car", it was awesome, the experience was worth 3x what I paid for it. No regrets.

Then after 1 year I realized that after this dream car there will be a 2nd dream car, and a 3rd, and so on...
So now I just rent them out whenever I feel like driving smth nice (which is surprisingly not often).
This way someone else can take care of cleaning, depreciation, scratches, accidents etc. and I get access to a "diversified" collection of "dream cars".

Dream Car As A Service.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Yeah, I can't wait till I get a Veyron this yr. W16 gang?

@KAIZOS if you really like cars so much just buy it. I only owned 1 car and I spent every single penny on it. I owned my "dream car", it was awesome, the experience was worth 3x what I paid for it. No regrets.

Then after 1 year I realized that after this dream car there will be a 2nd dream car, and a 3rd, and so on...
So now I just rent them out whenever I feel like driving smth nice (which is surprisingly not often).
This way someone else can take care of cleaning, depreciation, scratches, accidents etc. and I get access to a "diversified" collection of "dream cars".

Dream Car As A Service.
Veyron? Eww...

CHIRON PUR SPORT! :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
haven't bought my "dream car" yet but last week I was driving in my new SVR with the full carbon pack including the hood.

I got out to deliver some boxes at UPS, and I overheard two guys, around my age, saying "daddy's money".

I've heard the same reaction as well, years ago of course. However it reflects some of our motives for wanting the car -- it is purely a manifestation of the ego, a great "f*ck you" to society and our desire to be different, to say to the world, "I'm not a pencil pusher or welfare serf like you." As you get older, such a drive will likely fade away. Not saying it's wrong or right, but it is something I recognized in myself that I couldn't deny.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
Feeling kind of down. It was my actual dream car, with all the right things. But because the car didn't have a service history book while having a few miles on it and came imported from dubai, I tried to haggle on the price. Someone else bought it in the meantime. F*ck me.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Feeling kind of down. It was my actual dream car, with all the right things. But because the car didn't have a service history book while having a few miles on it and came imported from dubai, I tried to haggle on the price. Someone else bought it in the meantime. f*ck me.
Wow, what do you mean in the meantime?
Haggling happens right before the purchase, no?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Feeling kind of down. It was my actual dream car, with all the right things. But because the car didn't have a service history book while having a few miles on it and came imported from dubai, I tried to haggle on the price. Someone else bought it in the meantime. f*ck me.
I know it's hard for you to believe right now -- but the world is full of cars... and properties... and things... and more stuff...
You have your entire lifetime to acquire possessions. As you grow older, they'll lose their luster, as MJ has pointed out in this thread.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
Some good points are raised in this thread. Can't have nice things without someone shitting on you. It's like if you're not mediocre you must be exploiting people or it must be daddy's money.

I like the idea of renting a car. My dad says that if he ever becomes rich he'll just rent a supercar for a few weeks, then rent another one, and so on.

My dream car is also a Mustang lol. Been obsessed with them since I was a little kid, still have my old calendars of '67 Mustangs.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
If you see it that way, then you are running with the wrong people! There are those out there who will celebrate your success.

Yes, you are going to have pushback from some. And you will be rejected by your "old" crowd of friends who haven't kept with you. They'll try to talk you out of continuing down your path. They will throw stones in your way to try to stop you. It's not you. It's them. They have a vested interest in keeping you at their level. Your success makes them feel bad about their journey. This is a big turning point for most people. They either leave this group of people behind, or else they give up and rejoin. This is all part of the human journey.

Humans have all kinds of "tribal" rules. Once you get to the groups of people who have more, then they have a whole other set of rules for who they accept and who they don't. Where and how did you make your money? Where did you go to school? Where did you grow up? Who do you know? What acknowledgments have you received?

No one is ever universally accepted! If you want unconditional love, call your mother or go get a slobbery dog.

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA

Hard to say. I think if you have an immense desire you should do it. But if it is more sporadic curiosity than intense drive I’d rent first. Literally try it for a weekend and see if you like it.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
Dreams never stay within limit just like that you can't stick to only one car throughout your whole life.

ShanesWatson

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 24, 2021
Be explicit on which dream vehicle you need · Make sure that you can manage the cost of it · Always try to get a pre-buy investigation · Remember to do it. For the last century, the vehicle culture has spread over the whole globe. So what did the rise of the car culture lead to? Vehicles were real signifiers of monetary real factors and they make our travel easy.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've heard the same reaction as well, years ago of course. However it reflects some of our motives for wanting the car -- it is purely a manifestation of the ego, a great "f*ck you" to society and our desire to be different, to say to the world, "I'm not a pencil pusher or welfare serf like you." As you get older, such a drive will likely fade away. Not saying it's wrong or right, but it is something I recognized in myself that I couldn't deny.
Funny thing also is that when you get older you realize that cars aren’t as expensive as you thought they were when you were younger. The allure fades because of that too.

I’m now beginning to like cheaper collectible cars, like I want my old Integra or a Monte Carlo. I just need a 10 car garage now.

Choices

Never Settle
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Sep 3, 2019
Switzerland
Funny thing also is that when you get older you realize that cars aren’t as expensive as you thought they were when you were younger. The allure fades because of that too.

I’m now beginning to like cheaper collectible cars, like I want my old Integra or a Monte Carlo. I just need a 10 car garage now.

Then just buy the car(s) near their highest depreciation curve (if you can tell when that is).

Some even tend to go up after that.

Ofc I'm talking about well known sport cars here, not a Honda Accord or smth.

2on2off

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Nov 15, 2017
British Columbia
I bought my dream car about 3 years ago. A 1969 Camaro. I wanted to get it while my dad was still around as he always wanted one. I have wanted one since I was about 10 years old.

It’s not an exotic but always gets thumbs up from 5 year old kids to 80 year old grandmas on scooters. Driving it was also the first time
I have seen homeless people smile.

I have yet to see muscle cars depreciate so I can drive it for awhile and still get my money back out of it. I can do all the work on it myself and find it relaxing working on old junk even though I swapped in modern corvette drivetrain.

I also noticed that I don’t spend any time getting distracted by trying to find a car to buy and there is much less mental space being taken up by those thoughts. I have made good connections with like minded people by joining car clubs so there are some benefits.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

So your "dream car" is the one with the "same body kit" not the actual car?

That's like a Porsche Boxter being someone's dream car instead of the 911.

You aren't buying your dream car, you are buying your, "life didn't work out quite as well as I had planned" car.

I did the same thing. I owned my Mercedes S550. The car that should have been an S63 or a Maybach. Then I got clobbered at an intersection by a texting idiot and it took good care of me and my family.

So I bought a boring GLS for the wife and haven't been back to Mercedes for myself. I realized how little I actually gave a shit about having it in the garage. I have literally been driving my old truck (which was always my secondary car) as my only vehicle for basically a year and haven't given a damn. It tows my RV, gets me to meetings, goes off road very well up at the in-laws' land... Whatever, it works.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
So your "dream car" is the one with the "same body kit" not the actual car?

That's like a Porsche Boxter being someone's dream car instead of the 911.

You aren't buying your dream car, you are buying your, "life didn't work out quite as well as I had planned" car.

I did the same thing. I owned my Mercedes S550. The car that should have been an S63 or a Maybach. Then I got clobbered at an intersection by a texting idiot and it took good care of me and my family.

So I bought a boring GLS for the wife and haven't been back to Mercedes for myself. I realized how little I actually gave a shit about having it in the garage. I have literally been driving my old truck (which was always my secondary car) as my only vehicle for basically a year and haven't given a damn. It tows my RV, gets me to meetings, goes off road very well up at the in-laws' land... Whatever, it works.
I see how you might think that way, after I reread my original post. I can assure you it is not the case, my life is working out according to plan.

Probably already part of the richest percentile of my age I think.

The reason I don’t care for an actual shelby per se is because it is my dream car for its look/aesthetic, not performance.

So paying triple for the same look combined with double fuel cost (prices are absurd here 2.16 USD/L) would be of no benefit in my case. Just more liability.

Choices

Never Settle
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Sep 3, 2019
Switzerland
I see how you might think that way, after I reread my original post. I can assure you it is not the case, my life is working out according to plan.

Probably already part of the richest percentile of my age I think.

The reason I don’t care for an actual shelby per se is because it is my dream car for its look/aesthetic, not performance.

So paying triple for the same look combined with double fuel cost (prices are absurd here 2.16 USD/L) would be of no benefit in my case. Just more liability.
The girls won't notice anyway.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
My 2006 jeep lj is ugly as can be. No real comfort as I drive with partial doors and have removed the side panels. It is gutless on the road.

But rock crawling is another story.

I love to drive it.
received_385258892683235.jpeg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads