The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Turn from the Slowlane Dogma

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

ATlah2000

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
May 28, 2019
California
Hello, all!

I joined this forum a little while ago, and now I want to introduce myself finally.

My name is Alyssa, and I am 18-years-old; this was supposed to be my first year of college, but I found it ultimately depressing. The end of 2018 was a harsh time of the year for me---I had started attending a community college here where I live, was also participating in an online academic program, and I was going through some personal issues with family and with myself. I didn't know this at the time since I had not yet read The Millionaire Fastlane , but I was becoming weaker and weaker with every single day at that college, and it was not because college is hard! Community college is easy, and it was easy. It was the lifestyle and environment that was causing me to deteriorate little by little, and the slowlane dogma that I was being fed for so many years. I was thinking, "This is going to be the rest of my life. I'll sit in a classroom listening to a professor for the next few years of my life, and then hope I'll get a good job, and then save as much as I can, and I'll just have to put my dreams and passions aside as hobbies I miiight get to if I'm not tired by the end of a work day or school day."

I decided one day to screw that and not even go to class anymore. And now I know I won't ever go back there. I've seen my dad. He's a computer consultant, gets paid really well, but he comes back home tired and dreaming of owning a successful business. I've seen his failures from my own eyes and know the risks. He got caught in a pyramid scheme once and now we have an excess of the product the company was trying to market; he's stuck owning an eCommerce business with no particular niche and now we have a bunch of products he got for sale that he plans on re-selling but instead stay stuck in a box; he's stuck in his slowlane job because he feels the need to provide for our family that way. I knew that staying in college with the lifestyle I was having would have only put me in a similar spot of dreaming and yet being stuck in the comfortable environment of having the slowlane job.

I have always thought of being my own boss---that rocks! But I didn't know a lick of anything about business, nor was I interested in it.

Then came The Millionaire Fastlane .

I am still participating in my online academic program since it doesn't take much of my time and it's quite easy to pass, and in this summer semester, we are focusing on math, but most specifically finances. At the beginning of the semester, I had to be assigned to a book on financial responsibility or something of that topic, and as I was browsing through the list they had for suggested reads, I found Rich Dad, Poor Dad. The summary alone had me intrigued---"What the rich tell their kids that the poor don't." And I thought, "Well, if this can help me be settled for life, that's great."

I started reading it and things were kinda making sense. It was very interesting, and I actually quite enjoyed it. Halfway through, however, I started to look for things surrounding this financial area, how rich people really get rich, because the author doesn't really do a great deal of explaining that well. So I stopped and found some post on YouTube saying that The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco is great, and so I went on a search. I find nothing but great praise for the book, so I decided I might as well get it and start reading.

The moment I started reading, I couldn't put it down. Before reading the book, I felt like just another aimless person lost in a sea of confusion and slowlane preaching. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, so I had people telling me the same thing we have all heard---"Go to college! Get a job! Save money! Invest in stocks! Retire old!" I only knew I wanted to create things, I knew I wanted to do so much more than just do a 9-5 job every single week. This book was like hitting a gold mine of knowledge, and what's amazing was that MJ wrote it specifically for everyone to understand, and he made business a more approachable subject for me (not that I think it's going to be easy, it's just more approachable and now I can take my first steps forward). I never wanted to be an entrepreneur in all of my younger life; business always seemed too big and too intimidating, and they always made the businessmen out to be corrupt sociopaths that only want money. I never understood what business was really about.

I'm so glad I came across this book and that MJ really put things into perspective. Now I want to be an entrepreneur. Now I want to take control of my life. Now I want to help others through a business. That's one of the most profound things I've discovered through reading this book and going through The Fastlane Forum (I also have to thank Andy Black for emphasizing that). It's that businesses are about giving to other people what they need, what they want---not the other way around.

I have already started conversations and discussions with people from a particular niche to see what struggles and problems they have, to come up with ideas and create something that might help with their problems. Nothing is perfect, and I'm just starting, but I'm ready to face whatever comes to me. Anything that hits me is honestly never worse that being stuck in the slowlane for the rest of my life. And I want to thank MJ DeMarco for introducing these ideas and opening not just mine but thousands of others' eyes to how much more we can have in life.

I look forward to meeting all of you and knowing more of you and your own journeys through entrepreneurship.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello Alyssa, if TMF rocked your world, Unscripted will rock it even more...

I wrote TMF many years ago. While it's still valid today, Unscripted goes into more detail with respect to taking an entrepreneurial path for life.

Welcome aboard!

ATlah2000

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
May 28, 2019
California
Hello Alyssa, if TMF rocked your world, Unscripted will rock it even more...

I wrote TMF many years ago. While it's still valid today, Unscripted goes into more detail with respect to taking an entrepreneurial path for life.

Welcome aboard!

Yes, while going through The Fastlane Forum for the first time, I discovered you had also written Unscripted , so as soon as I finish The Millionaire Fastlane , I plan on reading that too! Thanks for your amazing works, and thanks for the welcome :)

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
The Fastlane Forum (I also have to thank Andy Black for emphasizing that). It's that businesses are about giving to other people what they need, what they want---not the other way around.
Welcome to the forum. It would appear you understand what many never get. Looking forward to your journey.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...