The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A physicist's guide to learning hard things (and using the scientific method)

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
I know this thread was a long time ago but this was really helpful. Thanks @lowtek.
But what is the best way to learn programming? I feel like I am going back and forth with tutorials and when I want to put in what I learnt, I remember nothing.
I also want to learn how to create WordPress themes (for selling). So what do you think is the best way?

lucasb

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jun 5, 2018
Clearly state the problem; the more precise and detailed the better.
Make a guess about what things you can control contribute to the problem
Formulate a plan for iteratively testing each of these possible root causes. Test most likely cause first, if possible.
If necessary, seek out information that tells you how to address each possible root cause.
Execute the plan.
Repeat until solved.

So if your conversion rate is only 1%, you could guess that the following things contribute to that low rate:
1) the page loads so slowly that people leave before it finishes
2) The color scheme makes peoples’ eyes bleed, so they can’t find the buy button
3) The copy reads like it’s written by an overseas scammer
4) The perceived risk is too high
The Japanese use the 5 because? .. that way they reach all the probable causes and most importantly the causes of the causes .... that is to say why? why? achieving as many reasons as we can.

The method helps you work with nuclear causes that have the benefit of solving many causes initially seen or not seen.

In fact it is the base method of eliyahu goldratt father of the theory of restriction, author of managment books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shiva2392

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 27, 2021
Awesome post. Getting a clear picture of how to solve problems and not just mindlessly reading books after books.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Broken down very well. This is awesome, thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

red360

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 30, 2023
@MJ DeMarco It's September. Time to bump. LOL

Actually. Can't you program the site to Auto bump certain posts automatically after a certain amount of days?

It's wonderful been new here as I get to go through all this amazing content.

If OP might see this, I do have a question about your thread.

You got to think this way out of years of Studyding....congrats on that!!
What books stick out in your mind that had the greatest impact in molding your thinking to train you how to solve problems?
Were there specific books or was it after years and years of study that it all came together?

Physics has always fascinated me. I enjoy watching YT videos from Classic physics to Quantum Mechanics.

Last edited:

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
However, from the ashes of these potentially ruinous decisions came an invaluable skillset that benefits me to this day: the ability to learn new things with minimal guidance.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

I have a question though - you used this phrase 'learning hard things' in the subject of this thread.

How do you define 'hard' in this context? How do you decide what 'hard' is?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.