Announcing the Save $1,000 in 30 Days Challenge « I Will Teach You To Be Rich
There was a story in my local paper today about this guy and his "system". It made me chuckle because since the beginning of the year, my wife and I have been on a massive "monetary preservation" kick (read cost cutting routine) not because we have to, but we felt it was the right time and who knows what will come of the economy so why not re-assess our expenses and save where we can without suffering. I hadn't heard of this guy or his ideas before, to me they are common sense things that when really looked at closely, really represent a lot of $$.
Curious if any one else has done anything similar and what your results are? For starters, here's what we've accomplished.
- My wife registered on a shopping website that coordinates local and national grocery store adds for you to maximize potential savings. We now buy what we normally would have, but take advantage of all the mfg coupons and local store deals. We buy in bulk for less than buying just one. Average savings is roughly $300/month
- Cable - we have been with Time Warner for 16+ years....time for a deal. After 3 phone calls one day (to 3 different reps) and a conference call with them and my father who had just done this, we (I) got TWC to give me their current deal ($29.95/mnth) for digital cable (normally for new cust'. only) for one year. We got rid of HBO/Show (nothing but old movies and crap anyway). I also reduced the speed of my Roadrunner all for a savings of $80 month.
- Insurances - one would think with many properties and cars, insurance companies would give deals.........not mine!
I am in the process of switching to a new agent/different company (been with current for 16+ years!), but so far I have saved $500 year on my Homeowners premium (not to mention avoided a 30% increase worth another $700/year). Only 2 of my rentals have come due recently but each saved me $400 a year by switching. Cars another $600/year. The other rentals taper down in saving with the bulk being these first two and a couple more to follow then the savings is minimal. Figure another couple hundred a year combined.
- We turn our HVAC to 78-80 during the hot days when no one is home and close all the blinds (house usally stay about 77 on its own without HVAC). I put timers on the water heaters and try to use energy a little wiser these days. Saving so far is in the $30-50 a month range on the power bill, I'm sure I haven't seen all the saving here yet.
Not enough time has gone by to do a real assesment on what the saving has been/will be in the end. But There's easily $6-700/month so far and I'm not done!
Love to know if anyone else has done anything similar? When times are rolling along and everyone is making $$ no one thinks of this stuff. I could have been saving 10 grand a year all this time and just been pissing it away stupidly. Ten grand will pay for a couple nice vacations, more track time, stuff for the family.......
Wished I woke up sooner......
I get side tracked easy 😀
There was a story in my local paper today about this guy and his "system". It made me chuckle because since the beginning of the year, my wife and I have been on a massive "monetary preservation" kick (read cost cutting routine) not because we have to, but we felt it was the right time and who knows what will come of the economy so why not re-assess our expenses and save where we can without suffering. I hadn't heard of this guy or his ideas before, to me they are common sense things that when really looked at closely, really represent a lot of $$.
Curious if any one else has done anything similar and what your results are? For starters, here's what we've accomplished.
- My wife registered on a shopping website that coordinates local and national grocery store adds for you to maximize potential savings. We now buy what we normally would have, but take advantage of all the mfg coupons and local store deals. We buy in bulk for less than buying just one. Average savings is roughly $300/month
- Cable - we have been with Time Warner for 16+ years....time for a deal. After 3 phone calls one day (to 3 different reps) and a conference call with them and my father who had just done this, we (I) got TWC to give me their current deal ($29.95/mnth) for digital cable (normally for new cust'. only) for one year. We got rid of HBO/Show (nothing but old movies and crap anyway). I also reduced the speed of my Roadrunner all for a savings of $80 month.
- Insurances - one would think with many properties and cars, insurance companies would give deals.........not mine!
I am in the process of switching to a new agent/different company (been with current for 16+ years!), but so far I have saved $500 year on my Homeowners premium (not to mention avoided a 30% increase worth another $700/year). Only 2 of my rentals have come due recently but each saved me $400 a year by switching. Cars another $600/year. The other rentals taper down in saving with the bulk being these first two and a couple more to follow then the savings is minimal. Figure another couple hundred a year combined.
- We turn our HVAC to 78-80 during the hot days when no one is home and close all the blinds (house usally stay about 77 on its own without HVAC). I put timers on the water heaters and try to use energy a little wiser these days. Saving so far is in the $30-50 a month range on the power bill, I'm sure I haven't seen all the saving here yet.
Not enough time has gone by to do a real assesment on what the saving has been/will be in the end. But There's easily $6-700/month so far and I'm not done!
Love to know if anyone else has done anything similar? When times are rolling along and everyone is making $$ no one thinks of this stuff. I could have been saving 10 grand a year all this time and just been pissing it away stupidly. Ten grand will pay for a couple nice vacations, more track time, stuff for the family.......
Wished I woke up sooner......
I get side tracked easy 😀
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
