The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Note for People Seriously Struggling

D

Deleted50669

I was doing some reflection today about where I am and where I’m headed. These two places are very, very different.

I never talk about this with close friends, let alone almost complete strangers. Between student loans and credit card debt I’ve got 110k racked up. Yes, six figures of almost entirely unjustified debt.

Scary, right? I know some people with more, but not many, unless they have a mortgage or a business loan.

But here’s the thing; it doesn’t bother me any more. I used to have crippling anxiety, losing sleep and having restricted confidence with women. I used to be on a date and feel like I was wasting the girl’s time because I knew she would ultimately run from my financial troubles. I was allowing the debt to poison every aspect of my life. It made decisions for me. It became one of the largest parts of my identity.

MJ’s books got my proverbial ship (because lord knows I don’t have the real one yet) sailing in the right direction. But that wasn’t enough. For the impact of his powerful words to take hold I had to actively pursue inner change. This involved looking at my own inner beliefs and understanding why I’m living my life like a victim. What I ultimately discovered was that I was living as though I was a victim to the world. I was not. The world only allows people to become victims if they choose to do so - I was a victim to my own decisions. This is a critical distinction. I decided that college was a great choice with the information I had, even though it wasn’t. I decided the things I bought on credit were “necessary”, even though they weren’t. In aggregate, I made a collection of decisions that showed I alone decided to be a sidewalker.

So what’s different now?

I’m deciding to be in the fastlane. The world is not going to tell me whether or not I can do this. I’m deciding that I will do this. Now that this life decision is made (and make no mistake, this is a LIFE drcision), it makes a lot of other decisions very easy; where I spend my money, where I spend my time, and who I do and do not listen to. I embarked on this shift about two years ago, and I’m just now seeing a business idea begin to come to fruition. On the outside I’m still the same debt-ridden desk jocky with a predictably mediocre existence. But in private, when I lock myself in my room and do the real work, I am a millionaire butterfly in its cocoon. I am grinding 20x harder than I do at my job to learn and bring a revolutionary product to life. No person, family or otherwise, will disrupt this. I’ve detached friends and family members who exerted even an ounce of negative energy towards me, and I don’t need them back.

To thosevwho feel like victims, stop telling yourself a shitty story and wake up. You are only a victim to your own ignorance and lack of will. If you live in a free country, there are no excuses. It is simply about what you believe, and what you’re willing to do.

“It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.”

- William Ernest Henley

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Dam man thats tough. I can't even imagine how hard it is with 6 Figure Debt.
Lets focus on what will free you - your business idea,
How is it? How close are you to firing the feedback loop and getting sales?
I have no idea what it is, but if you're ever stuck make sure to consider hiring freelancers. You can get alot done at very reasonable rates. I always use them to act quickly and work through stuff and Im not good at.

D

Deleted50669

Dam man thats tough. I can't even imagine how hard it is with 6 Figure Debt.
Lets focus on what will free you - your business idea,
How is it? How close are you to firing the feedback loop and getting sales?
I have no idea what it is, but if you're ever stuck make sure to consider hiring freelancers. You can get alot done at very reasonable rates. I always use them to act quickly and work through stuff and Im not good at.

Thanks for the rep and reply!

I am fortunate to make a very good income in the meantime until I'm self-employed, to the debt is manageable. As far as the product, I've been purposely quiet about it because I want to avoid outside speculation about its potential. I have hired freelancers for graphic design so far, which has worked out quite well. Most of the product I have the means to produce very well, it will just take me some time. Later this year I will need to seek legal support to craft the terms of use, obtain trademarks, incorporate, etc. I will be sure to post a detailed account of everything once it launches.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Read The Miracle Morning, it helped me.

The guy was in way more debt than you and turned his life around.

His struggles make mine look nonexistent.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
At one point, I was -$1,200,000 with no income. I fixed it. You're starting out +1,090,000 better than I was.

"In life, you either need inspiration or desperation." - Tony Robbins

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Skip forward to 25:30 and then listen through the end.
I don't get why advice on these matters is so often fluffy and abstract. Even that Dan Lok guy says "your first million is just mindset". And Tony Robbins said he got the money to buy a castle simply by buying it, because "then he had to make the money". What?

It is not just about mindset. It is about actual tangible steps. "You have to want it" and other platitudes are not enough to succeed by. And neither is hard work. The idea that people can fix a million dollar debt by just wanting it hard enough simply doesn't help.

The only hint I heard in there was "I had my Rolodex", which implies you somehow leveraged existing contacts and relationships to start digging yourself out of the hole, by calling them one at a time with some business proposition. Is that correct? In which case you didn't have zero, you had the accumulated investment of that network.

For someone who's been whacked back down to zero, what immediate tangible non-mindset-themed steps should they take to get back up?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I don't get why advice on these matters is so often fluffy and abstract. Even that Dan Lok guy says "your first million is just mindset". And Tony Robbins said he got the money to buy a castle simply by buying it, because "then he had to make the money". What?

It is not just about mindset. It is about actual tangible steps. "You have to want it" and other platitudes are not enough to succeed by. And neither is hard work. The idea that people can fix a million dollar debt by just wanting it hard enough simply doesn't help.

The only hint I heard in there was "I had my Rolodex", which implies you somehow leveraged existing contacts and relationships to start digging yourself out of the hole, by calling them one at a time with some business proposition. Is that correct? In which case you didn't have zero, you had the accumulated investment of that network.
A lot of actual monetary and business stuff can be confidential.
Even when I talk on some of my Upwork dealings, I don't specifically say X and Y. I try to put out an approach that can be applied in a variety of situations and WHY I used that approach, as opposed to other options.

The WHY leads to the HOW because it gives the ingredients.

On the Rolodex hint, I don't think the networking approach can be quantified strictly in monetary terms at all. But that doesn't mean it is not important.

Leveraging contacts do work a lot as the easiest customers to sell to are those who know you can be trusted for help. Trust is pretty much what drives money into your pocket. Simply put, customers that trust you, pay you money.

I myself have used this approach a few times to land myself in places I would never usually go to. I ended up helping out at a Model United Nations event just because an old friend recommended me. I had to work alongside with strangers, but it didn't matter. I could help.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

For someone who's been whacked back down to zero, what immediate tangible non-mindset-themed steps should they take to get back up?

First, if you think that podcast was fluffy and abstract I almost didn't bother responding. To trivialize something so initmate because it didn't give you a how-to guide (which wasn't the intent) is somewhat absurd.

There's a thread on the inside that I wrote that chronicles the entire journey from the inception of the business to the sale 6 years later.

However, if you are looking for a road map to follow, there isn't one.

You're looking for actual tangible steps to follow? If it was that easy, don't you think everyone else would be following them?

That is how businesses that sell "steps" prey on unsuspecting. While the INSIDERS thread outlays the steps I followed, you can't follow them. It's not replicatable any moreso than making a limo referral business. What worked for MJ isn't something you can simply re-do and expect the same results. It's already been done. The time has already passed.

So, what is important is exactly what you are skipping past. What's important is that you are not the first to face the mountains, nor will you be the last.

But it CAN be done. It starts with resolve. It starts with an unquenchable fire in your gut and a commitment to succeed in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

The OP has $110,000 in debt. In somewhere between a year and three years from now, the number could be zero, or positive net assets.

How? About a million ways. I can think of a half dozen off the top of my head.

People sometimes read the millionaire fast lane looking for the "answer." The answer is found within. Create a business that masters the subjects of NEED, ENTRY, SCALE, separates your TIME from your income, and gives you CONTROL. That's HOW.

Or, just stay in the crowd that hears a story like mine and rather than grabbing the lesson, focus on trivial shit. I'd love to sell you a course, but I don't sell courses.

Your screen name is GOGETTER. So go get it.

Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I might be the perfect one to comment because unlike everyone else I've ever known in my life.... I've never had any debt. I've never even applied for a credit card. But I think if I had any debt at all whether it was $110 or $110k, while both would scare me, there is no way I'd let it rule MY life! I'd just make a plan and $x amount goes to debt each month.... end of story. No matter if you fail or succeed in the future, do NOT let debt rule your life! If you succeed, get it paid off, if you fail just keep on keepin on and pay $x amount every month. <<<<< This is for the people that this post was made for, the strugglers. >>>>> Just do what you can do and let it go. No need to lose sleep or be in a bad mood or be depressed. It's ok. Do you know what happens if a credit card doesn't get their payment? NOTHING!!! If they call harassing you tell them they do not get another penny until they call you back and treat you nice. If they don't call back and treat you nice..... F them, pay them LAST. YOU have the upper hand. YOU have control of YOUR money and YOU have control of who gets paid each month. Guess what happens if the credit card company never gets paid? NOTHING! You might get a bad credit score, so what. That's better than worrying about paying them. In the case of the OP, I'd pay off the student loans first and if the credit card companies don't like it.... so what? Are they going to take you off their Christmas card list? Do you know the best way to not worry about creditor calls? Only answer calls from people that their names pop up on your phone. If a phone number comes up with no name.... don't answer it and erase the message without listening to it. No need for all that stress. Even in debt live the most stress free life you can.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

It is not just about mindset. It is about actual tangible steps. "You have to want it" and other platitudes are not enough to succeed by. And neither is hard work.

Seriously? You don’t get it because you don’t get it. Tangible steps are easy but if you don’t have the mindset you won’t take the steps.

Why can’t people lose weight or get six pack abs then? There are hundreds of step by step guides to do this. It’s simple.

You ever wonder that if everyone tells you it’s mindset that maybe it’s true and maybe you just don’t have the mindset so you don’t want to believe it.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
It’s simple.
No, those are not the same things. There is only one way to get six pack abs: lower body fat percentage by caloric deficit and exercise your muscles. It's an actual simple, very high probability process -- it's very hard not to get abs if your bf% is 8% and you've been gymning for 6 months or more.

Saying making money is simple is having your cake and eating it too. It's history written by the winners. It's "why can't you just do it like me? huh?".

There are millions of different ways to proceed, and millions of ways that will fail, and there is not one way that will fix anyone's situation regardless of what it is. But there is definitely room for helpful procedure between "just have a good mindset" and "follow my easy 10 step plan and you'll get rich".

The reason I bring this up is that you don't get to see the statistics on those seriously struggling who drop off and end up in the gutter as a result of advice like "just fix your mindset and good will come to you". You never see the shadows of the logins that never happen again because of that. You can have the best mindset in the world, but if you fry yourself and still don't get enough money to eat, it's over.

For every Sylvester Stallone, there's 9 others who tried just as hard and stayed homeless. People forget that. And that number isn't going to be brought down by the successful saying "it was just mindset". But tangibles could.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
No, those are not the same things. There is only one way to get six pack abs: lower body fat percentage by caloric deficit and exercise your muscles. It's an actual simple, very high probability process -- it's very hard not to get abs if your bf% is 8% and you've been gymning for 6 months or more.

Saying making money is simple is having your cake and eating it too. It's history written by the winners. It's "why can't you just do it like me? huh?".

There are millions of different ways to proceed, and millions of ways that will fail, and there is not one way that will fix anyone's situation regardless of what it is. But there is definitely room for helpful procedure between "just have a good mindset" and "follow my easy 10 step plan and you'll get rich".

The reason I bring this up is that you don't get to see the statistics on those seriously struggling who drop off and end up in the gutter as a result of advice like "just fix your mindset and good will come to you". You never see the shadows of the logins that never happen again because of that. You can have the best mindset in the world, but if you fry yourself and still don't get enough money to eat, it's over.

For every Sylvester Stallone, there's 9 others who tried just as hard and stayed homeless. People forget that. And that number isn't going to be brought down by the successful saying "it was just mindset". But tangibles could.

What your mindset basically says is that there's only one "lucky" Stallone on 10 people. While the only difference between Sly and the 9 others, is perhaps that he had the persistence to try just one more time.

On 100 people who read TMF , perhaps only 10 took action. On those 10 people, perhaps only 1 didn't give up after the first failure.

Imagine how many kept going after the second failure. And third. And fourth...

Why is that? Mindset, no?

Seems like you are giving yourself an excuse to fail in life.

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania
Amazing post, thank you for believing in yourself and showing the inner thought process behind your actions. I apply a similar mentality and one small complementary tip anyone here can use right now is:

Replace every maybe, probably, should, have to in sentences where you're describing your actions with will or remove them altogether:

Maybe I should start cold calling -> I will start cold calling
I should continue fighting -> I will continue fighting
I probably am weak minded -> I am weak minded
I have to pass this exam -> I will pass this exam

Seriously, it makes a huge difference in self credibility and self confidence.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
What your mindset basically says is that there's only one "lucky" Stallone on 10 people. While the only difference between Sly and the 9 others, is perhaps that he had the persistence to try just one more time.

On 100 people who read TMF , perhaps only 10 took action. On those 10 people, perhaps only 1 didn't give up after the first failure.

Imagine how many kept going after the second failure. And third. And fourth...

Why is that? Mindset, no?

Seems like you are giving yourself an excuse to fail in life.

Nah bruh... Clearly, Rocky did it in one day... Look at his training vs Drago. One DAY!

Full man beard... in ONE DAY!!!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

You've had your (free) membership here for several months, with access to thousands of pages of stories, business plans, and helpful procedures.

Keep telling yourself the lucky ones pass through the eye of the needle. Skip right past the dozens of skeletons in my closet I have documented, and just look at the wins. Keep telling yourself that if you fail, it's over. Let that be the reason the safety of the apron strings you cling to is the only practical answer, and scoff at the people who throw you a lifeline.

At the end of the day, we're not here for you. We're here for the kids I met at the Fast Lane Tampa meetup, who are grinding, finding their way, and at varying degrees of success. We're here for the person who comes here looking for an oasis in their personal desert. We're here for the people who read the book and want to see if the names within are real or fictional. We're here to help people looking for help. We're here to help each other.

We're not here to debate you on whether or not you can climb, if you're content to sit at the foot of the mountain and tell other people why they shouldn't climb. Don't climb then. You represent the majority.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015

There are also a million ways to lose weight to get your BF% to 8% - (but you say it's not hard, presumably because you've done it before?)

There are a million exercises to do in the gym for 6 months., but you've probably done those before too.

Lets flip the script:

Tell a person that has never exercised and who has been fat their entire life that getting six pack abs is easy. Just do this. <insert your "easy" plan here>

Their response is going to be much like yours.

You want a simple plan?

Pick an idea.
Bust your a$$ for 16 hours per day.
Execute. Fail. Learn. Improve.
Do it again tomorrow.

Do that everyday for 6 months (just like your gym example)

If you aren't successful or on your way to success, I would be shocked!

In this day and age, there is absolutely zero reason someone can't become a success other than their mindset. The amount of information available is mind boggling.

Quit making excuses.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Here you go:
1. See the hustle threads to generate a little bit of cash to minimally live and then invest
2. Buy or create a small cashflowing business to LEARN and pay the bills
3. Start your CENTS business with the funds (and knowledge)

Tag me in your progress thread and I'll be happy to come over and help.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
What your mindset basically says is that there's only one "lucky" Stallone on 10 people.
No I'm not saying it's luck. The whole reason mentorship, for instance, is incredibly effective, is because direction is critical.

Do that everyday for 6 months (just like your gym example)
For most people, if you bust your a$$ 16 hours a day on a business idea, you will end up burned out and broke. You will only screen through those with the constitution required to work that quantity (who are few and far between, not because they "don't want it enough" but because of flesh-and-blood limits), and those who strike the blade of the power-law curve (about 1 in 10). The rest you won't hear from, and therefore cannot defend themselves against charges of "just not wanting it enough".

All I'm saying is that there needs to be a middle ground between the linear curve of the job (slowlane) and the observation-bias, power-law ignored, "you've just got to unplug, and want it enough" world of self-congratulatory business bravado.

The self-serving attitude of successful businessmen that the 90% drop-off rate is purely due to inferior attitude has to stop. I'm glad guys like Thiel have noted that and try to help without judgement (e.g. pointing out that more partners in the business is worth it as long as they're like-minded, because the linear equity division curve is overpowered by the power-law return curve).

Allow me to have a go, and feel free to critique:

To those struggling, what would you rate your personal margin in percent? I.e. if you minimize your costs and worked enough in your current money now situation, how many work hours per week are you capable of, while keeping below burnout? Can you honestly confirm you've gone past that level and actually burned out?

What is the average interest rate on your debts?

Is there any way you can leverage that worthless college degree, even if (in the case of humanities) you have to join the hordes of Americans teaching English in Korea (for the same reason)?

What is your fastlane target market? What's the return curve on it? (you can get this by, for example, finding marketplace sites that divulge sales numbers). Do you know how much a dice roll costs to enter that market? (e.g. 200 personal hours, or 100 hours + $5000 capital). How many dice rolls does it take to bring your chance of striking the blade of the curve above 50%? Can you do that many rolls before you run out of having enough money to eat?

Yes? (different tack). No? Then put it down. Do you have a marketable skill? (No, job: different tack). What rate can you command? How much work can you command at that rate? How can you increase that?

Etc.

There is room for way more rigor in this than mindset fluff. Mindset fluff gets people to say "Yeaauhhh!! I'm gonnna do it!!!!" and feel that for 40 to 50 minutes, and that's it. You need the meat with the potatoes.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Exactly, it's not very hard to get abs if you've been following the step by step for 6 months. But can people follow the step by step for 6 months? Why can't they stay on the path for 6 months? It's because just following the step by step is hard. It's not that the steps themselves are hard, it's how you do them and actually doing them every day without cheating or getting side tracked.

Two people can go to the gym and do 3 sets of 10 reps benching. But I bet that one person's reps were executed better. One person's reps were stricter, rested less, more intense, etc... One person gained more than the other in those 30 reps of benching.

Running a business is the same thing, are you consistently putting in the hard work every day. Are you cheating? Taking days off?

You know what, those get rich quick courses do actually work. They are the most step by step that I've seen. But the kicker is that they require hard work. You buy a REI investment course and they tell you to drive neighborhoods and birddog and knock on 100 doors a day. The Amazon course tells you to look at jungle scout to find a product. You jump in and get on Amazon and go up against 1000 other people who found the exact same product as you. Why do 10 of those 1000 people win and the other 990 fail? They've all taken the same steps and imported the same product. It's because the 10 winners did more, executed better.

This is why it comes down to mindset. If you aren't in the right frame of mind, your execution will suck. You will do the minimum, follow each step, but not do it to its full intensity.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
direction is critical.

I disagree. You aren't to the point of needing direction yet. The only wrong direction is simply to not pick one.

There is room for way more rigor in this than mindset fluff. Mindset fluff gets people to say "Yeaauhhh!! I'm gonnna do it!!!!"

Mindset and motivation are two different things. You are describing motivation.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Do you really think he followed a step by step? I don't understand your analogy here because he probably is a great example of "it was just mindset".

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Mindset and motivation are two different things. You are describing motivation.
Wait....what?

Could you elaborate on how different both are from each other?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
All I'm saying is that there needs to be a middle ground between the linear curve of the job (slowlane) and the observation-bias, power-law ignored, "you've just got to unplug, and want it enough" world of self-congratulatory business bravado.

Ok, so to continue with the working out analogy.

You can go from eating poorly, to 100% clean to get six pack abs in 3 months. But this burns me out. I can't go months without a cookie, or a Coke. So I would give up.

But what if I cheat just one day, or every 6 meals. Well it's more palatable and I'm more likely to stay on my diet.

Personally for me, six pack abs is hard because I fall back into eating poorly AND my mindset isn't 100% there. I know this. Maybe I will never get 7% BF abs, but one day I will get to 12% BF abs. My analogy to making $3k a month vs $20k a month. I'm working out and eating just good enough to get to 12%, not to 7%.

Same thing with business, you can't go 80 hours a week full bore, you'd burn out. You need breaks and vacations. So if you start a business, it's not 100% full bore for 2 months and burn out. 50% for 12 months would be much better.

There is a middle ground and it is how you interpret your speed. But to stay for the long haul, it is a mindset issue, even at coasting speed.

[EDIT]
So here's is the one most important difference in working hard to get abs and working hard to succeed in business...

In getting abs, you compete against yourself, so you can get there at your leisure.
In business you are competing against yourself and others.

Imagine if at your gym, that there was a limited amount of loss of body fat. Imagine that you would gain body fat if the guy next to you lost body fat by working harder. You could bust your a$$ and do everything right and gain 3% because the 3 dudes next to you each lost 1%. How would that change your intensity in your workout? Would you work out more? Would you quit showing up? How much would mindset play into getting abs now?

Last edited:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Wait....what?

Could you elaborate on how different both are from each other?

Mindset - The way you "see" the world, business etc.
Motivation - The reason(s) you do (or do not do) things.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
To Not-much-of-a-go-getter: I found great content in that podcast. The most important thing I got was:

"Decide that this time it's going to be different".

And then do things differently. There are two parts to success--the idea and the execution. No one can tell you how to execute, that's where your own personal secret sauce will be. Watch the two videos MJ recently posted about a productrocracy.

My current idea has been through several variations, some of which have been done by people here. But guess what? Their execution doesn't work for me, so I found what does. So now I am slowly executing MY WAY. No one else's way works for me, and it won't for you either.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.