The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Hustler's Guide To Buying And Selling Anything (Part 1)

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013
Hustled a deal made $200 :)

Do you guys know how to negotiate on prices with women, in my experience they are tough! Much harder then men.

mastasef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 27, 2010
For the 2 months I've been flipping, I never sell at a loss. The only times I've sold at a loss were just recently when I didn't check a GPS before sending off, and the guy says it doesn't load. I also just bought a PS3 that I can't get as much as I want, due to me not playing long enough and seeing it will need repaired eventually. Could probably sell it off against my morals, but F that.

Anyhow, if stuff is in demand, especially higher priced products, it shouldn't take very long. I sit on some consoles and stuff for 2 weeks, but I price mine higher than the "must move" guys....I'll still be below store value for sure, but I take a shot locally for a bit at a higher price, then sell on Amazon/Ebay and it sells quickly. Or, I just drop the price to where it will move quickly. If you're buying an item for $100, and it's not really that great of a deal to sell to public at $140, you're doing it wrong. In that case, I might buy for $80, start my price at $160+ and see how it goes, then drop to $140 or $130 for a quick sale. I deal mainly with video game bundles w/ consoles, so some of my inventory sits longer than most...but usually, it's just video games (which are cheap anyway). I sell the consoles pretty quickly to cover the cost (or even make a good deal of profit to begin with), then just sell off the games over time for pure profits.

I guess I've held onto a textbook for like 3 weeks, but still made $40 worth. That kind of sucked, but didn't realize what i was buying completely and textbooks take a little longer to sell. Just my thoughts.

@RisingStars Not sure how big we are taking the group, as I'm not the one who formed it. Haven't seen a lot of guys posting in there at all so far. I'll let the guy know who formed it you're wanting in.
How have you been doing so far? Do you mind going into detail about your deals ? Numbers etc

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mastasef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 27, 2010
Ha, don't cave in vs their beauty? Girls are stubborn sometimes :p That's what makes relationships alone difficult...men and women think differently lol. I don't think I've dealt with too many women. I've already negotiated my prices beforehand, as mentioned in previous posts. I don't like lowballing on the spot after I've made offers. I try to acct for gas and shipping beforehand when I make an offer.

@mastasef : Only been doing doing this a little over 2 months. This is all I have for money right now (that and savings), as I moved in August and didn't want to go back to cubicle. Blanks are what I still have in inventory, and I still have tons of games that still need to be sold with past consoles (for pure profits). Totally experimental, basically, and trying to learn as I go. I'm nowhere near anything special. It's kind of a mess on my spreadsheet (that I'm trying to upload), but hey...gotta start somewhere. My notes on side are just so I can see individual shipping cost patterns, what I might need to adjust in future, etc. But I guess some info shared with others is better than no info lol. I don't plan on really staying in this niche long term, either.
Thank you nice profits in such a short term! Motivational stuff thanks

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

AndreHimself

Goat Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 12, 2015
LA
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but is it better to look under completed listings or sold listings when checking eBay for what prices to sell the items?

NerdAtCoolTable

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jul 20, 2014
Yea, I do the same. Apple stuff goes straight to amazon, other items go to ebay. Nothing gets relisted on craigslist, unless it is musical gear, which I usually just list for a high price so I can keep it as a toy until someone ponies up the cash.

There is an app called Offer Up. It's just like Craigslist , but a lot easier to list things. I'll throw things on there as well to see if I can find someone to pick the item up before it sales on eBay.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
@GrumpyCat do you ever handle trades if there is more money to be made? Have a guy offering me a trade, there's a extra $200 that can be made from it based on what I know about the item, and he clearly stated that in his email as well (which makes me suspicious)

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
There is an app called Offer Up. It's just like Craigslist , but a lot easier to list things. I'll throw things on there as well to see if I can find someone to pick the item up before it sales on eBay.

is Offer Up a US thing or are you in another country? I can't imagine anything like that really working in my town.

Trevor Chaumont

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 6, 2015
Gulf Coast
I'm about ready to stop flipping music grear altogether. Even if I make a sale, it seems to always involve two trips by the buyer, one to test it, two to wait for them to get paid. Can't stand it. Unfortunately, Even worse, musicians always want to trade gear, and it is NEVER, EVER, EVER an interesting trade offer, let alone lucrative.
I'm a guitarist, I agree. Musicians are terrible to work with unless they're pretty big.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
My apologies, I forgot Checker made those older looking automobiles. Its style comes from the 58s.

RedRapunzel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 21, 2017
California
SO I guess its my time to post with some of my sales.
I work full time but sell comics, toys, video games, coins, Nikes, etc. Basically anything that can make a profit. I also flip domains but that is another devil. I did buy an $8 expired domain and sold it to a company 2 days later for $1,250 - but this is a little harder to replicate..

I make good money selling comic books - if you have never done it, I suggest you start. With all the new marvel/dc upcoming movies - comics are insanely hot right now. This is the best time to flip.

Some of my better deals have been buying a comic for $2,400 - sold it for $3,500 in 2 weeks. Bought 1 more for $2,500 sold again for $3,500. IF you are someone that does not have that much to invest, well I also paid $200 for a book that I sold for $600.

I am currently writing a guide that specifically mentions how I do this but am not posting anything about it here. If you are curious about comics feel free to PM me.

I also make a few hundred bucks at every comic convention I go to as well...

***Hey cdrag, I am intensely interested in your comic flipping insights. I have 8 crates of plastic-enclosed comic books, all of which I would like to sell. They've been sitting in a storage unit for the last few years while I slogged through academia, but it's time to sell them all. I doubt there are any rare volumes but I just want liquidity. I have an Overstreet guide, also a few years old, and a few pieces of contact info for dealers. If you're ever on TFLF again, open a hailing frequency and tell me what not to do. much appreciated.***

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
My uncle buys cars from auctions all the time. Has been doing for several decades

I am looking to learn how myself so I can flip some monthly. Going to look back on the older posts and see if any good auto auction info.

Thanks!

RedRapunzel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 21, 2017
California
Wow, how'd you score those? Childhood?

Just please be careful selling, they could be worth a lot of money. You would hate to sell all 8 crates for $200 only to find out later

Nope, bought them just to resell. I cruise 2ndhand stores for sport, reselling small stuff for piddling profits (to date) but with the intent to graduate from piddling to substantial. I actually bought my current stethoscope, new in box, for $8.60, and never got around to reselling it after I discovered that model is $200.

I knew that my very limited knowledge of comics could cost me profits if I sold them in ignorance of market value, so I've sat on them. Some say procrastination, I say I waited til I had time to learn how they are valued. I'll probably pee my scrubs in ecstasy if I discover one of them is a rare $20k collectors' edition.

LonelyJug

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 21, 2017
Singapore
hey man i'm having a little trouble flipping on ebay. my item doesn't pop up on the listings, and my items have gone unsold for a few times. is there anything i'm doing wrong? should i offer free shipping instead? thanks ^^
Also there are too many lurkers that read this, that take the information, and yet contribute nothing to this forum in return.

I'll still answer questions here in this thread, but I'm moving the rest (action steps, strategy, progress, etc) to the Private Forum (you need 25 mph+ I believe?)

Anyone who can't access the private forum (due to low rep speed), but is a contributing member of this forum is welcome to PM me anything they want.

To the lurkers, join the forum! :D
ks for

G

Guest34764

I think after this bike I'm flipping I'm going to try and get a car to flip.

Vairavan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 13, 2019
In your heart
Pretty sure his name was grumpy cat. He asked for a self ban a few years ago after claiming to have become a millionaire.

Sounds like the moderators are very strict. He was banned for claiming to be a millionaire.:blank:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.