The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Hustler's Guide To Buying And Selling Anything (Part 1)

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
iPhone 5 super easy to flip btw.
Btw HOW THE F DO I MAKE A THREAD? I CANNOT FIND THE OPTION ANYWHERE! CAN I NOT MAKE A THREAD BECAUSE IM NEW???

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
Supposedly there is a big return in flipping limited edition Jordan shoes and the like. I don't agree with the people saying they stood in line all night outside in the snow, but wondered if anyone else has tried this? I'm not going to do it, because this could be like waiting in line for 2 hrs for a free hamburger type of deal, but curious. I couldn't help but comment when one guy said he bought them for $205 and was selling for $240, stood in line overnight...awhat? Other resellers chimed in profits could be in the $300-400 range for a pair of shoes, but they don't know the scarcity/demand until after they buy the shoes or something.

Yup. Definetly a market for flipping Jordans and other shoes.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Been busy with school but here is an update.

10/21/2014 - 11/22/2014

The Hustle
Inventory: $180
Profit: $290

Selling Random Stuff Around the House via Amazon

Profits: $96.69

Total Profits: $386.69

Projected Earnings should have been $400 for the hustle but 1 sellers flat out lied when I purchased the item which force me to sell at break even. Two other sellers had deceptive ad copy and lied about their conditions of the item which forced me to sell on thin margins.

Last edited:

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
its hilarious how mad people get when you offer them a lower amount of money for whatever products they are selling, and they dont even give an offer back they just take it personal. Its hilarious in a way how attached people are emotionally to stupid shit
yeah a lot of people are clueless..

i will low ball all the item for stuff that I want on craiglist/kijiji/forums... and then they just reply all butt hurt... How about a counter offer??? like do people think youre going to buy what they offer at the same price?

D

DeletedUser394

yeah a lot of people are clueless..

i will low ball all the item for stuff that I want on craiglist/kijiji/forums... and then they just reply all butt hurt... How about a counter offer??? like do people think youre going to buy what they offer at the same price?

If people don't have to sell, what is the point of a counter offer? Nowadays I list things all the time on the sell side only, and I accept nothing less than 100% of my ask, or at the very least 95%.

Again, don't expect many counters to a lowball. I routinely tell people to take a hike.. but I'm kind of a prick.

If I'm selling something for $200, and you offer $100, the standard negotiation would get it down to $150. Why would I want to accept 25% less than fair market value if I don't need the money?

If we're talking about people that are incorrectly pricing their items, then that's a different story, but most people know enough nowadays to check prices and values prior to listing.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
If people don't have to sell, what is the point of a counter offer? Nowadays I list things all the time on the sell side only, and I accept nothing less than 100% of my ask, or at the very least 95%.

Again, don't expect many counters to a lowball. I routinely tell people to take a hike.. but I'm kind of a prick.

If I'm selling something for $200, and you offer $100, the standard negotiation would get it down to $150. Why would I want to accept 25% less than fair market value if I don't need the money?

If we're talking about people that are incorrectly pricing their items, then that's a different story, but most people know enough nowadays to check prices and values prior to listing.

no if you are selling something for $200, I would offer $150 and then they get butt hurt.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012

Haha yeah, you kind of have to know what kind of seller you are dealing with. I've had a lot of people not renegotiate as well, and just tell me to buzz off. But if you aren't dealing with people who don't need to sell, then there's no real point in hassling with them after they tell you they don't need to sell or aren't desperate for cash. But the people who say $200 OBO, then you throw out $150 and they get butthurt, wtf? They'll come back and say $190 lowest...ok, thanks for putting OBO. You'll contact me in a week when it hasn't sold and you really want cash for $150 anyway. Gotta love the damn wording of ppl's ads. The classic ones are the "Asking $200, will not go lower than $150." Sure, out of the goodness of my heart, I will just give you $200 instead...zzz.

PS..Craigslist has been down for a couple of hours for me, and this is really, really, tilting :p I put up a WTB ad, and get inquiries all the time...can't even respond through email since it is through CL.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Still down? Do you have any problem replying to emails that were generated from your CL ad? I've replied to them and get delivery failures...but yet, people I've talked to are sending me msgs still, asking where the fk I went lolol. I keep thinking it will be back up any minute, and I find myself sitting here doing nothing bwhaha. [HASHTAG]#fail[/HASHTAG].

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
when i get lowball offers on craigslist, i usually just respond with "thanks for the offer, but my item is the lowest priced one for sale on craigslist right now"....or something that sounds a little less like english is my second language. I never get pissed, because really, I send out maybe 50 lowball offers a day on items. All part of the game.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
I read the whole thread this week and I am really impressed by RichKid for his hard work.
Michael Grey and RichKid motivated me with their threads to start it to so here are my results:

Note: I am from Germany and Craigslist here is not used alot. In my city (pretty big) only like 3 offers in phone categorie so I had to find another way.
One week ago I joined a total of 7 sell/buy groups on facebook.
I bought:
ps3 super slim 500gb + Gta 5 and fifa 14/13 for 135€ - sold today for 168€
xbox one 500gb + forza 5 -xbox sold today 343€ and forza for 20€
2 x Gta 5 each for 15€ -sold both yesterday for each 36,50€

So all in all 176€ In profit, but I offered free shipping + ebay and paypal fees so I will have around 140€ profit at the end. Did 4 deals for 140€
Dont know if its good or bad because I invested some time for ebay ads.

The problems I run into are:
-I am 17 so ppl dont want to sell me USK 18 games (In germany you are not allowed to play games like GTA under 18.) Guys I dont want to play I want to make money. Obvioulsly I cant tell them that :D
-No car or License (Age) so I have to drive by train. Its okay tho
-Not that many offers. Still alot but not as much as on Craigslist in America.
-Dont know about how to sell on Facebook because the margin is way lower then on ebay. I think I will try, but not much hope in it.
-Run short on money, since it was freezed up for 7 days bbc of ebay. Tomorrow I sell all my Investments (stocks) and will have ~2700€ to buy and sell.
Lets see what I can make out of it, I keep you updated.
-Since I am in school, there is less time to search and meet ppl.

So alot of problems, but I try to solve them of cause. AND take action thats the main part.
I will try out to sell on Facebook and a flea market app. Lets see how this will work.

I write down every deal I do in a little notebook.

Goals for next week:
-Solve paypal problems (Used a account of a friend for some time, but my dad created one for me since its only for 18 year olds :D ) Mine got closed. Gladly I had no money on it.
-Try out facebook and the App for selling. If it dont sell fast I will use ebay again (Maybe fix price or auction dont know.)

Would be nice if you write me some suggestions if you can think of one.

So long,

Leonard

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
leonard, I would suggest putting up ads on facebook and whatever local messageboards you can find that you will buy used electronics, cell phones, video games, etc. include your email address or phone number and wait for the inquiries. People will always need last minute money, and you can provide that to them in exchange for their goods. Speaking from experience, once you buy something from someone, treat them right, give them a better price than they would get at a pawn shop or facilitate the transaction in any way- they will pass your name along.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
Did 4 deals for 140€

@RisingStars - This is what matters. You read the thread. And. YOU TOOK ACTION.
And 140 in profit for your first week is pretty solid, IMHO.

Some people would use the fact that craigslist is more or less non existent in your country as an excuse.
You found a way around it and didn't let it stop you. This is a very big step!

Congrats, keep it up :)

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
@smartman
Thank you thats a great hint. I will try this after christmas when ppl try to get rid of their unwanted presents.

@Nicoknowsbest
Thanks for the kind words.

@all
If you guys want me to continue to log my progress please let me know.
Also let me know of I should continue to write here, should I write as much details as possible or just Post profits.

Hope its okay If I continue in this thread because RichKid isnt usingit anymore.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
So made a few deals today.
Bought xbox one + kinect + fifa 15 + 2. Controller + Charger kit = 315€
The Last of us ps3 -15€

Lets see what profit I can generate out of this.
The problem is mainly that I am really really low on time. Was such a stressful day today with school, gym, picking up stuff, create ebay auction, eating etc. but well...

Experienced the problems RichKid already told us:
-Word of ppl count nothing
-ppl get pissed if I offer a price their stuff is really worth.

So I have a question. Some people said here in the thread that they dont agreed to a price when they meet the other one.
How is this possible? Is this a US craigslist thing?
In germany the first question normally is what do you want or what do you want for it.
I never did a deal without fixed price at the beginning.

I lowballed them at the place only if I found things they didnt mentioned, scratches or smth.
Should I try to change it?

And some things simply dont work here. For example "make 20 crazy offers and hope for 1-2 good answers". I can get quite good prices but there is not that much stuff. to make 20 offers for products in a good margin range (300€) I need to wait atleast a week. Thats not fun.

mastasef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 27, 2010
The Last of us ps3 -15€

The problem is mainly that I am really really low on time. Was such a stressful day today with school, gym, picking up stuff, create ebay auction, eating etc. but well...

So I have a question. Some people said here in the thread that they dont agreed to a price when they meet the other one.
In germany the first question normally is what do you want or what do you want for it.

I lowballed them at the place only if I found things they didnt mentioned, scratches or smth.

And some things simply dont work here. For example "make 20 crazy offers and hope for 1-2 good answers". I can get quite good prices but there is not that much stuff. to make 20 offers for products in a good margin range (300€) I need to wait atleast a week. Thats not fun.

Thank you rising star for picking this thread up... I also come from a country where craiglist is inexistant(Belgium) but i just started my own hustling journey using other local websites and facebook

Last week on thursday i bought the iphone 5s 16gb for 390eur sold it on sunday for 450; bought another one on monday and now i just put it on sale for 470eur;
I don't know where this journey will take me but i must agree with all that's been said, it's a good learning process for hustling and business in general.
Also thinking about switching my model to importing from alibaba ... maybe when i get in the 2K zone

Any thoughts on this or help would be welcome
Thank you

C.S. Abbink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 13, 2014
Risingstars: Is there no craigslist alternative in Germany? If so...

In the Netherlands we do have an alternative, marktplaats.nl. It is very popular. Actually bought by eBay years back for a very good amount of money (for that time atleast).

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
The Last of us ps3 -15€

In regards to agreeing on price, this is what we were just discussing in the flipping group on skype. One guy mentioned to lowball on the spot, then say you have some extra in the car (still below what you agreed to). I, however, disgree and work out a price beforehand; only discounting on the spot if condition isn't what they said it was--and, I apologize before doing so while mentioning defects that they didn't make known. Most of the time, though, I get the deals good enough to where I just say "F it" because the price is good enough already and I know I can still sell it for a good return.

As a seller, that would piss me off royally being countered on spot after agreeing to price. It's called intimidation, and people feel like crap afterwards...even the most casual sellers on FB tell me this when I inquire about why an item didn't sell. I've had it done twice to me, and I gave in because I was worried I might not sell it. Granted, it might work, but as I do more deals, I would just be pissed off and walk away.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you rising star for picking this thread up... I also come from a country where craiglist is inexistant(Belgium) but i just started my own hustling journey using other local websites and facebook

Last week on thursday i bought the iphone 5s 16gb for 390eur sold it on sunday for 450; bought another one on monday and now i just put it on sale for 470eur;
I don't know where this journey will take me but i must agree with all that's been said, it's a good learning process for hustling and business in general.
Also thinking about switching my model to importing from alibaba ... maybe when i get in the 2K zone

Any thoughts on this or help would be welcome
Thank you

Your on the right track! I am looking to do the same. After the hustle, I am going to start importing.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Correct me if I am wrong but there are no alternatives that are that big. Sure some alternatives are there but not as big as craigslist.
Have to stick to facebook for now.

@RBefort Yes thats what I mean. I tried it today but I cant. If I see the sadness in their eyes I just dont want to go further down. I know what they payed for it and its still a really good price.
Is there any way to join the skype group for me? I would love to discuss there with you guys.

I will may import or sell from a wholesaller after hustleing.
Today I bought goods for 870€. Still over 1000€ left for me to buy but if everything works out as planned I made 325€ today. Happy right now :)
If I get time later I show a picture of my Inventory :)

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
How long do you Guys keep the inventory before selling at loss eventually to let that go?

For the 2 months I've been flipping, I never sell at a loss. The only times I've sold at a loss were just recently when I didn't check a GPS before sending off, and the guy says it doesn't load. I also just bought a PS3 that I can't get as much as I want, due to me not playing long enough and seeing it will need repaired eventually. Could probably sell it off against my morals, but F that.

Anyhow, if stuff is in demand, especially higher priced products, it shouldn't take very long. I sit on some consoles and stuff for 2 weeks, but I price mine higher than the "must move" guys....I'll still be below store value for sure, but I take a shot locally for a bit at a higher price, then sell on Amazon/Ebay and it sells quickly. Or, I just drop the price to where it will move quickly. If you're buying an item for $100, and it's not really that great of a deal to sell to public at $140, you're doing it wrong. In that case, I might buy for $80, start my price at $160+ and see how it goes, then drop to $140 or $130 for a quick sale. I deal mainly with video game bundles w/ consoles, so some of my inventory sits longer than most...but usually, it's just video games (which are cheap anyway). I sell the consoles pretty quickly to cover the cost (or even make a good deal of profit to begin with), then just sell off the games over time for pure profits.

I guess I've held onto a textbook for like 3 weeks, but still made $40 worth. That kind of sucked, but didn't realize what i was buying completely and textbooks take a little longer to sell. Just my thoughts.

@RisingStars Not sure how big we are taking the group, as I'm not the one who formed it. Haven't seen a lot of guys posting in there at all so far. I'll let the guy know who formed it you're wanting in.

ShadowX

Be Grateful
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 27, 2013
Hustled a deal made $200 :)

Do you guys know how to negotiate on prices with women, in my experience they are tough! Much harder then men.

mastasef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 27, 2010
For the 2 months I've been flipping, I never sell at a loss. The only times I've sold at a loss were just recently when I didn't check a GPS before sending off, and the guy says it doesn't load. I also just bought a PS3 that I can't get as much as I want, due to me not playing long enough and seeing it will need repaired eventually. Could probably sell it off against my morals, but F that.

Anyhow, if stuff is in demand, especially higher priced products, it shouldn't take very long. I sit on some consoles and stuff for 2 weeks, but I price mine higher than the "must move" guys....I'll still be below store value for sure, but I take a shot locally for a bit at a higher price, then sell on Amazon/Ebay and it sells quickly. Or, I just drop the price to where it will move quickly. If you're buying an item for $100, and it's not really that great of a deal to sell to public at $140, you're doing it wrong. In that case, I might buy for $80, start my price at $160+ and see how it goes, then drop to $140 or $130 for a quick sale. I deal mainly with video game bundles w/ consoles, so some of my inventory sits longer than most...but usually, it's just video games (which are cheap anyway). I sell the consoles pretty quickly to cover the cost (or even make a good deal of profit to begin with), then just sell off the games over time for pure profits.

I guess I've held onto a textbook for like 3 weeks, but still made $40 worth. That kind of sucked, but didn't realize what i was buying completely and textbooks take a little longer to sell. Just my thoughts.

@RisingStars Not sure how big we are taking the group, as I'm not the one who formed it. Haven't seen a lot of guys posting in there at all so far. I'll let the guy know who formed it you're wanting in.
How have you been doing so far? Do you mind going into detail about your deals ? Numbers etc

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Hustled a deal made $200 :)

Do you guys know how to negotiate on prices with women, in my experience they are tough! Much harder then men.

Ha, don't cave in vs their beauty? Girls are stubborn sometimes :p That's what makes relationships alone difficult...men and women think differently lol. I don't think I've dealt with too many women. I've already negotiated my prices beforehand, as mentioned in previous posts. I don't like lowballing on the spot after I've made offers. I try to acct for gas and shipping beforehand when I make an offer.

@mastasef : Only been doing doing this a little over 2 months. This is all I have for money right now (that and savings), as I moved in August and didn't want to go back to cubicle. Blanks are what I still have in inventory, and I still have tons of games that still need to be sold with past consoles (for pure profits). Totally experimental, basically, and trying to learn as I go. I'm nowhere near anything special. It's kind of a mess on my spreadsheet (that I'm trying to upload), but hey...gotta start somewhere. My notes on side are just so I can see individual shipping cost patterns, what I might need to adjust in future, etc. But I guess some info shared with others is better than no info lol. I don't plan on really staying in this niche long term, either.

Attachments

• Product Flipping-E Commerce.xlsx
    20.5 KB · Views: 61

mastasef

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 27, 2010
Ha, don't cave in vs their beauty? Girls are stubborn sometimes :p That's what makes relationships alone difficult...men and women think differently lol. I don't think I've dealt with too many women. I've already negotiated my prices beforehand, as mentioned in previous posts. I don't like lowballing on the spot after I've made offers. I try to acct for gas and shipping beforehand when I make an offer.

@mastasef : Only been doing doing this a little over 2 months. This is all I have for money right now (that and savings), as I moved in August and didn't want to go back to cubicle. Blanks are what I still have in inventory, and I still have tons of games that still need to be sold with past consoles (for pure profits). Totally experimental, basically, and trying to learn as I go. I'm nowhere near anything special. It's kind of a mess on my spreadsheet (that I'm trying to upload), but hey...gotta start somewhere. My notes on side are just so I can see individual shipping cost patterns, what I might need to adjust in future, etc. But I guess some info shared with others is better than no info lol. I don't plan on really staying in this niche long term, either.
Thank you nice profits in such a short term! Motivational stuff thanks

G

GuestUser140

How long do you Guys keep the inventory before selling at loss eventually to let that go?
Repeat after me: the money is made when buying.

Not adhering to that rule alone will get you in the situation of having to sell at a loss. If you happen to be in that situation, sell fast. Bite the bullet, lesson learned. Don't let it drag on.

SeanyHang

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
May 24, 2013
New Jersey
Damn guys - first time reading through this entire thread (tons of tidbits of gold!!!)... This is what I'm feelin after soaking in all 30 pages... hahaha.

bloodshot-eyes.gif

Now it's entirely possible that I may have skipped over this or even forgot it after taking in all that info.. But how exactly are you guys finding/obtaining these "lots" of items? I've been importing from overseas in bulk to sell online (ebay/amazon) which is obviously one way to get a "lot" of product... But I get the impression that you're actually finding things in bulk on CL?

This would be a fun and productive thing to do on the side while I'm waiting for my products from overseas to arrive at my door. Im in the NJ/NY area so there's a plethora of items to get my hands on (I just picked up a Marshall VS265 for $180 which typically goes used for around $450-$500). BUT I haven't been seeing any of these lots that you guys are talking about. I guess maybe I'm also just searching the wrong sections?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.