Mike023
New Contributor
Hi All,
My name is Mike and I am 43yo living in Australia. I recently bought TMF and was really impressed with the message MJ penned. I am currently reading Unscripted , another great read.
Like many, I was sold the usual lines about getting good grades, going to University, getting a solid job working for the Man etc etc. Further, I also bought into the whole "save, live well below your means, invest in the markets and you should be fine by the time you reach retirement age" which will probably be pushing 80 by the time I get there!
So I worked in stockbroking and hedge funds for the best part of 20 years until 2014. I had been suffering from health issues and it was really impacting my mental health. So much so that I honestly struggled to keep going. It was during these dark days that I reflected on my life (as is so common when we face down our own mortality) and I realised how much time I had wasted and how little I had achieved. I was finally diagnosed with Crohn's disease and started to get treatment for it.
I quit my job working for a hedge fund and began to look for other options. I read and continue to read lots of books around mindset and I discovered how little I had been giving in my past life. I went to work and received a full days pay for a half day's work. I was uninspired, lazy and in a sort of "grey zone", plodding along through life. I had been a selfish person who operated in a world of scarcity rather than abundance. I provided little value to others and felt like I was stuck. I kept hearing people tell me to "follow my passion" and that really pissed me off because I didn't feel as though I was passionate about anything in particular.
Having read TMF it has helped me understand the correct way to think about all this. I absolutely love the idea of providing massive value to lots of people and I want to learn to love the process as I was so obsessed with the event and hated the process. I have switched careers to commercial real estate however I continue to search for a business I can run myself. The CENTS commandments are always front of mind now and I am so keen to build towards success. My passion is to show my father that his sacrifices were not in vein; he and Mum now live off a shitty pension, count their pennies and never have any money. My passion is to build a successful business and pay back my Uncle for purchasing the house in which my Mother and Father now live.
Anyway, that's me. I look forward to being part of the fastlane community.
Cheers
Mike
My name is Mike and I am 43yo living in Australia. I recently bought TMF and was really impressed with the message MJ penned. I am currently reading Unscripted , another great read.
Like many, I was sold the usual lines about getting good grades, going to University, getting a solid job working for the Man etc etc. Further, I also bought into the whole "save, live well below your means, invest in the markets and you should be fine by the time you reach retirement age" which will probably be pushing 80 by the time I get there!
So I worked in stockbroking and hedge funds for the best part of 20 years until 2014. I had been suffering from health issues and it was really impacting my mental health. So much so that I honestly struggled to keep going. It was during these dark days that I reflected on my life (as is so common when we face down our own mortality) and I realised how much time I had wasted and how little I had achieved. I was finally diagnosed with Crohn's disease and started to get treatment for it.
I quit my job working for a hedge fund and began to look for other options. I read and continue to read lots of books around mindset and I discovered how little I had been giving in my past life. I went to work and received a full days pay for a half day's work. I was uninspired, lazy and in a sort of "grey zone", plodding along through life. I had been a selfish person who operated in a world of scarcity rather than abundance. I provided little value to others and felt like I was stuck. I kept hearing people tell me to "follow my passion" and that really pissed me off because I didn't feel as though I was passionate about anything in particular.
Having read TMF it has helped me understand the correct way to think about all this. I absolutely love the idea of providing massive value to lots of people and I want to learn to love the process as I was so obsessed with the event and hated the process. I have switched careers to commercial real estate however I continue to search for a business I can run myself. The CENTS commandments are always front of mind now and I am so keen to build towards success. My passion is to show my father that his sacrifices were not in vein; he and Mum now live off a shitty pension, count their pennies and never have any money. My passion is to build a successful business and pay back my Uncle for purchasing the house in which my Mother and Father now live.
Anyway, that's me. I look forward to being part of the fastlane community.
Cheers
Mike
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
