The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Comprehensive Guide To Learning Web Development

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
So, you've come up with an idea for a product that involves the web?
Or you want to learn web development for any other reason?

I'll have you covered!

I am no expert by any means but have been learning it on my own for a couple of years now, and hopefully will be able to give you some insights into learning it for yourself.

I am sure @MJ DeMarco would agree that programming is a great fastlane skill (after all, that's what he has taught himself, too).

Anyway, I assume that you have decided to learn it and know the WHY.

I'll now give you a brief overview of web development. Based on the explanations, you should be able to figure out what you need to learn.

The Building Blocks Of The Web

HTML
- The language used to tell the browser what you see, whether that is buttons, images, or text. A website only with HTML, however, looks crappy.

CSS - The language used for making things look good. Oftentimes, CSS tutorials change the colour of some text or re-align it to the side. In the past, I thought: there must be another language involved in creating the complete look of a web page.

This is where we need to distinguish between design and development: a developer with no knowledge about design will rarely create something that looks good, despite his knowledge of CSS (except when using design systems, which I'll talk about later in the thread).

JavaScript - Whenever the page changes dynamically, which means without reloading it, Javascript is involved.

The three technologies make up the front-end, everything the user can see.
Any user can view the page source and look at all of your HTML, CSS and JavaScript code.

At this point, you are a front-end developer - somebody who can build the front-end of a website/web app.

Is this enough to get you started?

Think about what you want to do: will these three technologies be enough to kick things off? Will you be fine without database storage? For example, a text formatting website could be built entirely in HTML, CSS and JS, if it does not involve storing any information in a database. On the other hand, most SaaS applications involve more technologies...

The Backend

Python, Go, Java, C#, Ruby, PHP, you name it, are languages that live on the server-side.

What is a server?

A server is a computer which "serves" other computers. You send a request to it, a backend language does some magic, and it sends you back what you requested.

As opposed to the front-end, people should have no idea which language your backend is built in. They don't see it.

Pretty much all modern languages have libraries in place for talking to a database as well. Sometimes, you need to write SQL which is the language for interacting with databases entire yourself. Other times, a framework will abstract it away for you (more about frameworks and what they are later).

Hope this gave you some first insights into the topic. At this point, you might still be confused, and that's okay.

In the following posts, we'll be talking about the actual roadmap of learning, which languages/frameworks to pick (pros and cons) to get an MVP/prototype built as soon as possible, security, and more.

If you have any questions, drop them.

See you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MacTech602

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 31, 2015
Great intro to web development. Looking forward to more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Thank you for sharing your perspective on web development, however there is a legendary user on here named @Fox and he has already covered all of this (along with his cohorts and mentees);

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
Sure, I know about Fox. Great guy, but he covers mostly web design as far as I can tell, which I am not that good at (yet). The future posts will dive deeper into the backend side of things required for creating more backend heavy applications.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Sure, I know about Fox. Great guy, but he covers mostly web design as far as I can tell, which I am not that good at (yet). The future posts will dive deeper into the backend side of things required for creating, for example, SaaS applications.

Value in this. Not many people here focus on backend / logic. That's where the real magic happens.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Awesome thread. Will definitely follow.

One question: This weekend, I started learning Python from scratch. Never spent much time on coding except front end stuff. Find back-end surprisingly enjoyable (and Python's way simpler to write than JavaScript so far).

Ideally, I want to accelerate my learning as quickly as possible. I have quite a lot of time available for it.

How would you go about learning it as quickly as possible? Currently doing a few beginner courses on Coursera led by Charles Severance. Find them to be slower paced than some I checked out on Udemy. However, they also seem to be more pedagogical and better at teaching the foundations. Which is obvious since the college professor has way more experience at teaching the stuff.

Alongside with those courses I'm playing around with scrapers and other tiny projects to get some hands-on experience.

Any suggestions on the optimal, most time-efficient way to become proficient at a language, in your opinion? (This might be one of those stupid beginner questions everyone roll their eyes at, but I'll throw it out there anyways)

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
Awesome thread. Will definitely follow.

One question: This weekend, I started learning Python from scratch. Never spent much time on coding except front end stuff. Find back-end surprisingly enjoyable (and Python's way simpler to write than JavaScript so far).

Ideally, I want to accelerate my learning as quickly as possible. I have quite a lot of time available for it.

How would you go about learning it as quickly as possible? Currently doing a few beginner courses on Coursera led by Charles Severance. Find them to be slower paced than some I checked out on Udemy. However, they also seem to be more pedagogical and better at teaching the foundations. Which is obvious since the college professor has way more experience at teaching the stuff.

Alongside with those courses I'm playing around with scrapers and other tiny projects to get some hands-on experience.

Any suggestions on the optimal, most time-efficient way to become proficient at a language, in your opinion? (This might be one of those stupid beginner questions everyone roll their eyes at, but I'll throw it out there anyways)

Good question. Planned to answer it down the line, but hey, let‘s do it now:

youtube, blogs, stackoverflow, google are all great resources. Personally, the first courses I have taken were all on youtube. The approach I have taken is to first identify what I want to learn. Pick one thing. Let‘s say it‘s, like in your case, python:

The most important thing IMO when learning your first programming language is not to get caught up in the fact that you‘re learning a specific language, but focusing on learning how to program. I‘ll explain what I mean:

every programming language has certain constructs, like variables, if-else statements, loops, you name it. A good course will introduce them one by one with an example or two. Then, start playing around with that feature. Make sure you understand how its used, but more importantly WHY it‘s used.

You do so best, I think, by just typing out some code and seeing what happens. Change the value of a variable and see how the output changes. You will learn in the process of observation.

The more fundamentals you learn, the more you can start working on simple scripts: in the beginning, it might be a program that asks for your favourite color and gives you a basic response. After that, it might be a program that, based on your age input, tells you whether you can drive or not (notice: as opposed to the previous example, this little program now involves if-statements).

Then, build your way up. After you have the basics down, you can jump into more language-specific features and actually start working on some programs of your own. With python specifically, the code you write when starting out vs. when you‘re a bit more advanced will look VERY different, as python has so many great features that save you from writing a lot of code. That‘s okay. You‘re engaging in process. Be proud when you first get something working.

In the case of python, the basics might be (I‘ll forget something, this is just out of the top of my head...):

- data types
- variables
- conditionals (if-elif-else)
- functions
- loops (for, while)
- exception handling (try/except)
- the various data structures (lists, dictionaries, ...)
- the knowledge that python is a dynamically typed language

I think you get the idea.

The more advanced concepts might include:

- list comprehensions
- various built-in functions that make writing code a lot easier
- object oriented programming (that‘s important with all object oriented languages. If you don‘t know what that means, don‘t worry, yet)
- decorators

and so on and so on. Really, the most important things to learn are the fundamentals. They will apply to almost all programming languages.

When you have the basics down, start building some programs/projects. Always aim to challenge yourself as much as possible but not to overwhelm yourself, either. You become more and more proficient in the process.

In your case, it might be building a more complicated web scraper. Or actually jumping into a backend framework for web development if you are comfortable with the basics of python. Whatever.

Anway, you probably will need to look up most things on google, youtube, stackoverflow to finish it. That‘s where the real learning comes from. Just dive in at this point.

Once you get beyond the basics, I‘ve found that some specific books really shortcut the learning curve and help immensely. But again, that shouldn‘t be your focus for now (unless you‘re at this stage). Look at the next step and you‘ll make it!

Also, I’ll be talking about other related stuff (like clean code and development methodologies) later in the thread. Boy, I have so much more to share ;)

Note: if you‘re already pretty decent with javascript, I‘d recommend giving this video a shot:
View: https://youtu.be/N4mEzFDjqtA
It gives you a good overview of the major topics and the python syntax.

Also, specifically for python, I‘d recommend always questioning your approach to a solution and trying to figure out a better way of solving it after the overall program is working. As I‘ve already said above, there are many neat constructs in the language.

If you want a teaser of what I mean: look up how to switch two variable values in Java vs. how to do it in Python ;)

I might share some links to other great youtube resources later in the thread as well.

Does that help?

Last edited:

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
michael-jackson-popcorn-gif-imgur-4.gif

Oh yes, i'm in. Great stuff!

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
The future posts will dive deeper into the backend side of things required for creating more backend heavy applications.

+ 1 looking forward to it.

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
Some guidelines before getting started

1. Don't get discouraged if you feel overwhelmed. I'll be mentioning many concepts and ideas that are probably very new to you. Tackle them one by one, over a long time frame and you'll be just fine!
  2. Google is your best friend
  3. The programming community is generally great. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

I'll be starting at the very beginning, just so everybody can follow along. For anybody who is more familiar already, don't worry, I'll have plenty for you later in the thread.

So, where do I start? HTML and CSS!

They go hand in hand.

HTML is pretty easy to learn. CSS isn't that hard either... at first. Luckily, you only need to learn the basics for now. One extra note on CSS: don't get frustrated when you try to center an element and it simply won't work ;)

Learning the basics of the two shouldn't take you that long. Of course, everybody learns at a different pace, but it should be doable in a couple of days.

Setup

Download and install a text editor

While you could use notepad without a problem, the lack of syntax highlighting will make it painful to use. You can choose from many editors, here are three I'd recommend:

Don't get caught up on choosing your editor. All of them get the job done.

Starting To Learn

Head over to youtube and type in 'html tutorial'. Then, just pick one and go with it. As simple as that. Or take a course on the topics. That's fine, too.

Now, follow along, type out the code yourself (very important), and do your best to play around with the code and trying to get a better understanding. After finishing it, there is almost no way you could have remembered everything. That's completely normal.

Now Start applying the skills you've learnt!

Google something like "basic html and css website", head over to google images, pick the one that looks the easiest to you and try to build it out based off the image you see. It doesn't need to match it 1:1, just get the elements in roughly the same position. Or just think of a basic layout yourself. You'll likely encounter many frustrations, but that's normal. If you feel too overwhelmed, step down one notch, figure out the knowledge gap that hindered you from the next step (e.g., you didn't know how to horizontally align navbar elements), research it, apply it to the project and repeat.

Great, I know some basic HTML and CSS now!

Good job! The next post will focus on JavaScript: what it is and why it's used and how to actually learn to program (although I've pretty much answered that in my response above), because HTML and CSS are not programming languages, but markup languages, as they don't have any logical constructs built into them.

Take care

Last edited:

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
The Dreaded JavaScript

Do you have a project in mind you'd like to build? If yes, think about it: will it involve components that need to change dynamically (i.e., without refreshing the page)? Then you'll need JavaScript (it's NOT the same as Java. They just have similar names).

Anyway, I had posted an answer up above on what I think is a good way of learning to program, so I won't repeat myself.

With JS specifically, getting started is super easy: just create an HTML file, open it in your browser, and open a console (if you're using Chrome, right click, go to inspect and switch to the console tab). In the console, you can start exploring concepts such as variables and for-loops very easily. If you're at the point where you want to actually embed JS into your application, you'll need to use a script tag in your HTML, but I'll leave that to you to explore.

Besides the typical constructs like variables, loops, etc., that are present in almost any language, javascript has the DOM, which stands for document object model. It allows you to interact with HTML elements on your website, access their CSS and do all kinds of things with it. That's how you're able to change something on the screen without having to reload the page!

You don't need to become a pro at JS before moving on, just get moderately comfortable with the basics. The rest comes with time.

In the next post, we'll jump into the backend and talk about some framework and language choices.

Stay tuned

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Thank you for sharing your perspective on web development, however there is a legendary user on here named @Fox and he has already covered all of this (along with his cohorts and mentees);
Fox covered how to learn web design to start a business, OP's post gives a detailed description into web development, and it's various areas. For people who want to dive deeply into web development itself, this post is an awesome guide.

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
Getting Into The Backend

The backend is where the magic happens that nobody sees. Almost everybody will judge your application by the frontend and not give a crap about what you've done to make it work. Think about how much is going on behind the scenes of a theater, from costumes to scripts to choosing the right actors, yet, how little the viewers really see.

Picking A Language For The Backend

disregarding specific project needs that might appear, here are some good default choices for languages on the backend. I left out Java and C# on purpose, as they're more enterprisey and not as well suited (IMO) for bootstrappers and solo programmers. But if that's what you know, they are still awesome and very capable languages, so by all means go ahead and use them. Also, I will only mention 1-2 frameworks per language. There are a TON of other great ones out there, but presenting them all would be overwhelming.

What is a framework?
Think of it as a skeleton application that is already written and has made several design and architectural choices. It expects code to be at certain places at a certain point of execution in order to work.

A common pattern that many frameworks follow is the MVC pattern (don't get caught up on the names of the concepts as they may slightly vary, but the seperation of concerns they introduce into the architecture).

M stands for model and defines the data and businesses logic layer of your application. V stands for view, what the user sees. C stands for controller, the component that communicates between the two.

It's harder to grasp theoretically, but you'll know what I mean as soon as you start using one.

Often, you'll also hear about libraries. A good rule of thumb to differentiate the two is that a framework calls your code while you call a library's code.

Anyway, let's look at some frameworks. We'll discuss the reasons to use one in the next post. For now, here is a little overview of three common languages:

PHP
basically, the native backend language of the web. Easy to deploy and a veteran. However, just as it's easy to get started, it's equally easy to mess up. More on that when we get to security.

From my very limited experience with PHP, I'd say the pros are:
- easy to get started with
- easy to deploy
- well documented across the web

while the cons are:
- not the prettiest syntax (again, this is subjective)

With PHP, the two popular frameworks are Laravel and Symfony. I have only a bit of experience with the first one, but it definitely seems to be a very elegant framework.

Python
a language used in so many areas of programming. This one is my pick, as that's what I know best and really like.

Pros:
- easy syntax
- very awesome features that can really cut down the lines of code you need to write
- great community and documentation

Cons:
- harder to deploy

Note that I didn't mention speed as a con, although python is slower than other languages. But if it's enough to power pinterest and discord, it's probably enough for your application.

With python, the de-facto framework of choice is django. A very stable veteran that takes care of a lot of things for you. Flask is also widely used, but I have no experience with it.

JavaScript
with Node.JS, which is a runtime (NOT a framework), somebody basically had the idea to allow javascript on a server rather than only in a web browser.

Pros:
- you can use JS if you already know it

Can't say much about that TBH, as I haven't used it. Many people seem to like it, though. As far as frameworks go, the javascript world has WAY too many, but one of the most popular ones for the backend seems to be Express.

Anyway, make sure to do some further research on your own if you have no idea what to pick. Me suggesting anything would just be dogmatic.

See you in the next post!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Getting Into The Backend

The backend is where the magic happens that nobody sees. Almost everybody will judge your application by the frontend and not give a crap about what you've done to make it work. Think about how much is going on behind the scenes of a theater, from costumes to scripts to choosing the right actors, yet, how little the viewers really see.

Picking A Language For The Backend

disregarding specific project needs that might appear, here are some good default choices for languages on the backend. I left out Java and C# on purpose, as they're more enterprisey and not as well suited (IMO) for bootstrappers and solo programmers. But if that's what you know, they are still awesome and very capable languages, so by all means go ahead and use them. Also, I will only mention 1-2 frameworks per language. There are a TON of other great ones out there, but presenting them all would be overwhelming.

What is a framework?
Think of it as a skeleton application that is already written and has made several design and architectural choices. It expects code to be at certain places at a certain point of execution in order to work.

A common pattern that many frameworks follow is the MVC pattern (don't get caught up on the names of the concepts as they may slightly vary, but the seperation of concerns they introduce into the architecture).

M stands for model and defines the data and businesses logic layer of your application. V stands for view, what the user sees. C stands for controller, the component that communicates between the two.

It's harder to grasp theoretically, but you'll know what I mean as soon as you start using one.

Often, you'll also hear about libraries. A good rule of thumb to differentiate the two is that a framework calls your code while you call a library's code.

Anyway, let's look at some frameworks. We'll discuss the reasons to use one in the next post. For now, here is a little overview of three common languages:

PHP
basically, the native backend language of the web. Easy to deploy and a veteran. However, just as it's easy to get started, it's equally easy to mess up. More on that when we get to security.

From my very limited experience with PHP, I'd say the pros are:
- easy to get started with
- easy to deploy
- well documented across the web

while the cons are:
- not the prettiest syntax (again, this is subjective)

With PHP, the two popular frameworks are Laravel and Symfony. I have only a bit of experience with the first one, but it definitely seems to be a very elegant framework.

Python
a language used in so many areas of programming. This one is my pick, as that's what I know best and really like.

Pros:
- easy syntax
- very awesome features that can really cut down the lines of code you need to write
- great community and documentation

Cons:
- harder to deploy

Note that I didn't mention speed as a con, although python is slower than other languages. But if it's enough to power pinterest and discord, it's probably enough for your application.

With python, the de-facto framework of choice is django. A very stable veteran that takes care of a lot of things for you. Flask is also widely used, but I have no experience with it.

JavaScript
with Node.JS, which is a runtime (NOT a framework), somebody basically had the idea to allow javascript on a server rather than only in a web browser.

Pros:
- you can use JS if you already know it

Can't say much about that TBH, as I haven't used it. Many people seem to like it, though. As far as frameworks go, the javascript world has WAY too many, but one of the most popular ones for the backend seems to be Express.

Anyway, make sure to do some further research on your own if you have no idea what to pick. Me suggesting anything would just be dogmatic.

See you in the next post!

Great information in here. Couple things I would add:

With respect to speed and bottlenecks, web calls take dozens to hundreds of milliseconds, which is an eternity to most python code that runs in milliseconds. When and if execution speed becomes comparable to the web calls, you can directly integrate with C to get close to the metal and speed up the bottlenecks.

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
So, Why Should You Use a Framework?

If you're a beginner, chances are, you don't know what you're doing. Frameworks take care of a lot of stuff for you. This is where my advice for the frontend and backend vary: I wouldn't recommend a javascript framework getting started. Most times, you'll be fine with plain javascript or perhaps some jQuery on top of that. If you're at a point where the javascript becomes unmanageable or you know what you're doing, jump into a framework. But don't think you need to pick up every hot framework that some joe on Reddit suggests.

Now, this is not to say that frameworks are bad by themselves. If you're already comfortable with one and it fits the use case, by all means use it. I just like avoiding too much load for beginners.

Haha, let me go plain on the backend then!

If you know what you're doing, you know when to do it. But for beginners, I think a better path is to jump into a framework, get productive, learn how the framework works (dissolving the magic over time, a step I'm also working on) and enjoy what it gives you. There is SO much that can go wrong on the backend.

With that said, if all you need to do is build a simple site that's not too complicated, you can consider going blank. Many examples of people who have done this successfully. So yes, I am a proponent of keeping things simple when possible.

But when it comes to security on a larger scale than something very simple...

A Quick Lesson in Security

Most people think that passwords are stored in plain text on the backend. Hence, if you're a beginner, that's what you would probably do if you don't know any better.

The truth is, that passwords should be stored in a hashed format. That means they run through a mathematical function (something like SHA-512) that transforms the password into a bunch of gibberish characters. The trick is that, if you run the password through the same hash algorithm multiple times, you get the same result. That is how you can check if the user has entered in their correct password.

A good hashing function has several characteristics:

- minimal collisions
- produces a very different output if the input is changed by only a tiny bit

and more. That's why you should NEVER run your own hashing algorithm in production.

Anyway, most frameworks help you with that. Still, it's a very good idea to learn more about security and what your framework of choice does behind the scenes.

Edit: I had added some more security attacks to be aware of but there seems to be some sort of problem when I updated the post. Anyway, I may make another post about that.

Last edited:

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
lets get ready to rumble !!! lets get it on i downloaded the things posted above the things softstone mentioned and now signed my self in for the courses of codecademy
can i learn from both of the sites codeacademy and Web Design for Web Developers: Build Beautiful Websites! or stick with just one website otherwise i would make it more complex to my self

Last edited:

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
lets get ready to rumble !!! lets get it on i downloaded the things posted above the things softstone mentioned and now signed my self in for the courses of codecademy
can i learn from both of the sites codeacademy and Web Design for Web Developers: Build Beautiful Websites! or stick with just one website otherwise i would make it more complex to my self

I use so many sources when it comes to learning, not just one. It's very rare that you find everything you need to know from just one source.

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
I use so many sources when it comes to learning, not just one. It's very rare that you find everything you need to know from just one source.
thankyou man Mike Tyson thanks you sincerely lol i wil follow your upcoming posts and look for your old posts all the best bro

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
There are dozens of languages worth mentioning. I won't list all of them.

Ruby on Rails is one of the most pervasive frameworks in startup web development. Just find it surprising it's not there.

If I were advising someone on starting back end and front end web development for startup focus, I would say become an expert in JavaScript -- but you seem to be going light on focusing on JS.

I think you would do the community a service in focusing on JavaScript as the primary language to learn. If you know that one language, you can do back end and front end - and since the ecosystem is so new, you can land a 6-figure job where you learn on the job pretty quickly.

I hired one engineer who went through one very intense 8 month coding program as a junior engineer at 80k/year right out of the program. Then she earned a raise into 6 figures within her first year.

To put that into context, within 2 years, she over doubled her previous salary and was learning the inner workings of a fast growing startup from within.

Very valuable, if one's long term goal is to be involved in a tech company, imo.

This isn't as possible with PHP (which you mention heavily), since it's becoming a red headed stepchild in the web development space. Node.js and Ruby on Rails on the back end will get you there FAST. Same goes for React.js and Vue.js on the front end.

Last edited:

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
If I were advising someone on starting back end and front end web development for startup focus, I would say become an expert in JavaScript

JavaScript is important on the frontend, that's for sure. On the backend, it's an equally good choice as many other languages. The only pro I'd see is that you'd use one language for both the frontend and backend, which, to be fair, might be attractive to a beginner.

This isn't as possible with PHP (which you mention heavily), since it's becoming a red headed stepchild in the web development space

I only mention it heavily because, as far as I know, about 80% of the web runs on PHP. I definitely prefer python when it comes to the language itself.

Node.js and Ruby on Rails will get you there FAST.

So will frameworks like Laravel or Django. I don't have much experience with Node and RoR, but they both seem great. I think it's more a matter of taste than it is of capabilities, and frankly, which one you know best. In most cases, that's going to be what will get you to a working piece of software the fastest.

kanunay

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 20, 2018
United States
If you're learning web development to your own site, SaaS, or product, I don't think it matters which language or framework you ultimately wind up using - use whatever you are familiar with or can learn the fastest. Your goal should be the shortest path to getting a working product. You can refine or rewrite later if necessary once you've validated your idea.

If your goals include doing work for someone else, or landing a job, then it's important to focus on learning the languages and frameworks that are currently in demand, even if that means it will take longer to build whatever you're working on.

I still do a lot of stuff in PHP because it allows me to crank out a working prototype very quickly.

Andrew W

Be a Provider.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 12, 2018
I thought I'd drop a quick resource here that I have been using quite successfully to learn web development, specifically web application development.
It is called The Odin Project.
I have been using this for a month or so and the information provided is great for learning the ruby on rails framework. Didn't want to hijack the thread, but keep in mind there are many alternative frameworks you can use to get a website up and running quickly.

Ruby on rails was used to make the first versions of: Twitter, Basecamp, YellowPages, Hulu, Groupon, among many others. It is well-supported, and offers one of the fastest and easiest ways to create an MVP.
Thanks for the awesome thread @SoftStone
Back to the thread!

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
So will frameworks like Laravel or Django. I don't have much experience with Node and RoR, but they both seem great. I think it's more a matter of taste than it is of capabilities, and frankly, which one you know best. In most cases, that's going to be what will get you to a working piece of software the fastest.

As someone who has done a lot of hiring and interviewing (on both sides of the table), I would strongly advise against learning either of those frameworks as the first port of call.

They don't have the market share to open up meaningful contracting or employment opportunities.

As a learner, this means more limited places to work to learn. And when you do find a job where you can learn, it won't be as highly paid.

As an entrepreneur looking to build a tech company, this means there isn't as strong of a talent pool and you're left picking up people who are just "OK" and not great because they just-so-happen to know the obscure technology you picked out.

What companies in the US startup space are looking for today are full stack javascript developers and Ruby developers. To a lesser extent, Java.

As someone heavily entrenched in this industry, Laravel and Django wouldn't even make my top 10 frameworks/libraries for a startup focused person to learn first.

Here's some numbers to back this up...

In searching Angel.co for available jobs:

Frameworks:
1. Laravel: 119 startups nationwide
2. Rails/ROR: 850
3. Django: 518
4. Node: 1300

Languages:
1.PHP: 600
2. Ruby: 1035
3. Python: 2317 (note, most job listings for python are more focused on data science than web development)
4. JavaScript: 2900

From another site, weworkremotely.com -- there are 90+ javascript jobs, 55 Rails jobs, 23 PHP jobs and 8 Django jobs.

This highly reflects my experience in the industry, and is why I would highly advise anyone starting to learn programming to get started with a Javascript stack including Node + Express for back end and React or Vue for front end.

It opens up the most opportunities most immediately, AND prepares you to hire talent for your own tech company much more easily.

I only mention it heavily because, as far as I know, about 80% of the web runs on PHP. I definitely prefer python when it comes to the language itself.

PHP is only running on 80%+ of the web because 80%+ of the web is running on half-hacked together Wordpress sites...which run on PHP. You don't want to skate to where the puck was. You want to skate to where it's going.

Regarding Python, it's an incredibly useful language to learn for data, statistics, machine learning, etc., but falls only in the middle of the pack (at best) for breaking into a career or business focused on high impact web development. The numbers corroborate.

The benefit is that once you learn any one of these languages at a high level, you can learn pretty much any other language/framework in a weekend. I would just highly advise anyone getting started to cut through the obscure/lesser-used stuff and head right for JS.

----

In short, I agree with what you're trying to do, and think you're doing a great job. For interested parties, I am trying to highlight what I believe to be the best starting point in 2019.

Last edited:

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
All the best as well!
learn coding via codeacademy is very hard i really dont understand things and make the same mistake over and over again like i cant absorb it i heard form some folks that it is possible to build a website without coding?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.