The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

a 3x5 Card with Terrible Slowlane Advice

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma
D

DeletedUser2

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Ha, we've been discussing this on my FB page...

Reads verbatim from the Slowlane script... a regurgitated hodge-podge of advice guaranteed to give you 40 years of mediocre living.

Here's the card:

btxdcuccmaa743z.jpg

Basically 2 of the 11 "tips" are relevant. The other 8 you can forget about because they aren't apart of a Fastlaner's lexicon. (Three if you include saving 20%, but I say, save 70% which isn't difficult if you're banking 5 or 6 figs monthly.)

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
There is still lots of that banter out there it seems. Our professors and key educators obviously have not figured out the weakness with that wealth creation System. Perhaps it suits them and their job security prospects to think this way! My laptop has become my personal professor and I wouldn't swap it for anything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
Like I tell everyone I know, saving money isn't half as important as increasing your earnings. Recently, I've been able to slash my spending immensely, but has that gotten me where I want it to? HELL NO! The point is to be able to blow money as if it were abundant. What you save should be paid forward to allow future spending until you reach a point where spending doesn't matter. That is why I will be risking what I manage to save on investments that can make money abundant. I'd rather die young jumping off a cliff or sailing around the world than old as F*ck in a bed never having done anything interesting...

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
I read some of the comments. A lot of the people were against that flashcard. This guy stepped up to defend it.

Guys - You're misunderstanding the advice. Utilize your 401(k) to take advantage of a company match. If you company matches your contribution, that's essentially free money. At the very least, contribute to your 401(k) up until your company match.

Capital gains in your 401(k) are tax free much like IRAs - A huge advantage compared to a taxable (i.e. brokerage account). Yes, withdrawals are taxed as ordinary income but hopefully you're able to grow your account significantly by the time you retire!

Also -I'm guessing we'll have bigger things to worry about if the US ever begins to dip into private retirement accounts.

Never invest in anything the flies, floats, or f*cks... They're all depreciating assets.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
It's called business INSIDERS not business owner for a reason lol.

And I'm just going to throw this out there.... Would you take financial advice from someone who has a liberal arts degree and no business experience whatsoever?

If you answered yes(even silently), I don't even...

Paleo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 3, 2014
3 minutes of reading his tweets and googling him told the story

He's a professor of "health policy" with a degree in "public policy" from Havard's School of Government

No mention of him ever working in the private sector-looks like he's only been an academic

Big supporter of the welfare state, in particular a strong proponent of Obamacare-no doubt he supports eventual socialized, single payer government healthcare.

People like this hate individuality, freedom and entrepreneurship- they want everyone to be a compliant drone in their social engineering schemes

So he's going to tell you to buy into all these institutional and goverment controlled retirement programs.

And when the times comes, of course he's going to support the government taking of your 401k and IRA funds because its "for the public good"

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
It's not so much the fact that he's pretty much wrong about everything that bothers me..

I'm more bothered by how, almost by definition, Slowlaners think they "know it all" when it comes to money..
When they've probably spent almost no time at all thinking about where wealth really comes from.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I always try to know at least a tiny bit before I start giving advice.
Try to consider other angles before I just spout off what I've heard around me all my life.
I just can't stand it when people talk, without having invested the time "listening" to reality first.
Of course, like all pet peeves, I'm certainly a hypocrite about this from time to time.
Seriously though, why do people who have such distaste for/fear of/lack of understanding for wealth, love to talk about how to achieve it?
It's like a dumb jock spouting off in class not realizing what a fool he's making of himself.
This professor has no significant wealth. How can he not be rational enough to realize - he should not be giving advice about it?

But, that's perhaps a side effect of being stuck in academia. I'm glad I got out, and into the entrepreneurial world.

It's like being inside a fishbowl - no one in the slowlane understands they're underwater. It's "the whole world" to them.

I've been there. Scary. Wish I'd gotten out sooner, but, figuring it out in my 20s is probably preferable to figuring it out in my 50s.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Lol taking ficancial advice from a professor is like hiring a CPA that supports Obama.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
@Enki LOL at his reply. This is the definition of why the 99% complain, they don't understand. It's over their heads.

It's like being inside a fishbowl - no one in the slowlane understands they're underwater. It's "the whole world" to them.

It's the F*CKin Matrix!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.