The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

9-5 Job/Stocks vs Sales Job/Stocks

AyKay

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 1, 2014
Hello ya’ll, I hope this is the right place to post, if not, please move if need be.

I’m looking for advice in terms having to go forward in building my wealth, and I feel like have 2 options to choose.

Lower risk, but less money and freedom
- currently working part-time
- working towards a full-time job by 2022
- comfortable office 9-5 job, 8 hrs per day
- expecting to be 33k/year = $2.7k/month
- and after 2 years, likely 60K/year = $5k/month
- worked in fixed location
- great benefits

If I chose this route, I’ll work a stable full-time job for 5 years as I build my money through stocks via day/swing trade to 1 million.

The downside is the corporate 9-5 job, very robotic, takes the life out of you, corporate trap w/ many regulations and restrictions, and the pay is low/medium.

What’s lacking here is fulfillment and scaling my skills to it’s fullest potential.

OR

Higher risk, but more money and freedom
- work towards a dedicated sales/closing job
- make bigger commissions, only commit 5-6 hrs per day
- I can make 138/year = 96k/year after taxes = 8k/month (average)
- make connections w/ fellow sales people, and clients in respected industry
- work remotely, anywhere, as long as I have a phone
- little to no regulations and restrictions to make sales

If I chose this route, I have control over my time, I can work towards my wealth better with the commissions I’m making, I have more hours to develop myself, and I can build my money further through stocks.

The downside is the pressure of sales, it becomes your own business, I’m constantly refining my sales skills to close more clients, and it’s an emotional roller coaster because it’s sales, and clients can call at anytime.

The biggest risk is transitioning from my potential full-time role to a part-time role, and refining my sales skills and stabilizing the higher paying sales job.

The risk is stability.

Why the choice?

Throughout the years, I’ve been dabbling into different ways of making money online, and I feel sales is my profitable skill (5-6 years of sales experience), which will give me the ability to save and start day/swing trade in the stock market.

The reason why I don’t go right into stocks is because it’s a patient game, and not something to rush into it and I need something stable to fund the 2nd income. I’ve studied other successful stock traders (who made 1 million within 5 years), and they say you want to do other things besides stocks, so I thought I’d do sales as my main income source, stocks as my second income source, and add additional sources later on.

End of the day, I don’t want to depend on a company, I love learning and I get to see how a successful business operates, but I want to develop specific skills where I can make money anywhere and at any time. And most importantly, I don't want to feel trapped in one place. Also, I feel sales and stocks are perfect for me due to making money anywhere.

What ya’ll think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
Hello ya’ll, I hope this is the right place to post, if not, please move if need be.

I’m looking for advice in terms having to go forward in building my wealth, and I feel like have 2 options to choose.

Lower risk, but less money and freedom
- currently working part-time
- working towards a full-time job by 2022
- comfortable office 9-5 job, 8 hrs per day
- expecting to be 33k/year = $2.7k/month
- and after 2 years, likely 60K/year = $5k/month
- worked in fixed location
- great benefits

If I chose this route, I’ll work full-time for 5 years as I build my money through stocks, since the job is stable.

The downside is the corporate 9-5 job, very robotic, takes the life out of you, corporate trap w/ many regulations and restrictions, and the pay is low/medium.

What’s lacking here is fulfillment and scaling my skills to it’s fullest potential.

OR

Higher risk, but more money and freedom
- work towards a dedicated sales/closing job
- make bigger commissions, only commit 5-6 hrs per day
- I can make 138/year = 96k/year after taxes = 8k/month (average)
- make connections w/ fellow sales people, and clients in respected industry
- work remotely, anywhere, as long as I have a phone
- little to no regulations and restrictions to make sales

If I chose this route, I have control over my time, I can work towards my wealth better with the commissions I’m making, I have more hours to develop myself, and I can build my money further through stocks.

The downside is the pressure of sales, it becomes your own business, I’m constantly refining my sales skills to close more clients, and it’s an emotional roller coaster because it’s sales, and clients can call at anytime.

The biggest risk is transitioning from my potential full-time role to a part-time role, and refining my sales skills and stabilizing the higher paying sales job.

The risk is stability.

Why the choice?

Throughout the years, I’ve been dabbling into different ways of making money online, and I feel sales is my profitable skill (5-6 years of sales experience), which will give me the ability to save and start day/swing trade in the stock market.

The reason why I don’t go right into stocks is because it’s a patient game, and not something to rush into. I’ve studied other successful stock traders, and they say you want to do other things besides stocks, so I thought I’d do sales as my main income source, stocks as my second income source, and add additional sources later on.

End of the day, I don’t want to depend on a company, I love learning and I get to see how a successful business operates, but I want to develop specific skills where I can make money anywhere and at any time. And most importantly, I don't want to feel trapped in one place. Also, I feel sales and stocks are perfect for me due to making money anywhere.

What ya’ll think?
I absolutely loathe sales. I feel the pressure many times isn't warranted and your effort is rarely appreciated. I'd go the 9-5 route but preferably I'd look into starting your own business.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
1) Sales teaches transferrable skills. Everybody needs sales. Especially anybody on this forum.

2) Will working a 9-5 move you any closer to your goals?

3) There's some faulty thinking going on here. Stocks are not a vehicle to make money, they are a method to preserve it. They are a slowlaners dream or an unwise man's gamble. If you go corporate and make $33k per year, they should not be as relevant to you as funding an emergency expense, 3-6 months of living expenses, and then funding your fastlane/side hustle to then get out of corporate as fast as possible.

Go with sales. You have 5 years of experience in it already. Anyone with 5 years of sales experience shouldn't settle for a $33k per year corporate job with the idea of trying to make money from stocks.

AyKay

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 1, 2014
Hello there,

The reason why I want to pursue stocks afterwards is because I've witness top traders make 1 million within 5 years, they worked at 9-5 jobs, and they put their money from the 9-5, into day/swing trading. Looking at it, it's 1 side of the same coin, since it's a profitable skill, but it's an active form to making money.

End of the day, I want to make a million within 5 years, and start a cashflow business afterwards, where I don’t have to worry about actively making money, and let the business run itself.

What I'd like to do is bank on my sales skills, put money into stocks, make more money from stocks, and with those 2 sources of income, I can put money into a cashflow business.

I’ve watched MJ’s video about going from flat broke to financial freedom:

1 - foundational job
2 - specialized labour
3 - specialized skill
4 - specialized unit

And I'm seeing how my situation fits with this framework.

1 - foundational job: my 9-5 office job
2 - specialized labour: ??? I'm not sure what kind of specialized labour I can do ???
3 - specialized skill: closing big deals, making $140/year = $96k/year after taxes = $8k/month (will have to quit my 9-5 at this point)
4 - specialized unit: cashflow business

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

jpl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 12, 2021
. Anyone with 5 years of sales experience shouldn't settle for a $33k per year corporate job

I am working in sales for a bit over a year now, coming from a 9 to 5 (honestly more of a 7 to 7 grind) job and it was the best choice I could have possibly made at that point.

Having the pressure to work commission-based helped me to develop a determined mindset, focus on what's important and learn a lot, mostly sales and people skills. In that one year life has changed a lot and I switched from playing video games in my free time to working out, learning and improving my skills and reading books (one of the reasons that got me here).

I think everyone should go for a sales job some time in their life, earlier rather than later. Sure it may not be the best fit for everyone but if I never tried it I don't think I would have the motivation to ultimately join the fastlane sometime (sooner rather than later).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.