• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Influence, The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion(Review | Discuss)

Successful fastlane with 9-5 job?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Brian Suh, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Brian Suh

Brian Suh Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,003
    Anyone here have a successful fastlane business with a 9-5 job? I am kind of in a hole right now. I have full belief that I will be in the fastlane business but I need money now and don't think I can make money now with this business. Anyone successfuly pull this off with a 9-5 job? I know the benefits of going all in but I don't think I can do this now.

Wisarut likes this.
  2. astr0

astr0 Grinding Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,131
    Haven't done it myself but should be quite possible.

You can quit your job once you have some income from the business and feel it would the right decision.

3. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,870
    Lots of folks on here have a 9-5 job they’ll exit once their fastlane venture supports it. Heck, a lot of value propositions were derived from things learned in 9-5 jobs.

4. Valhalla

Valhalla Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $530
    To me, it's a case by case basis led circumstances such as family situation, if you're only supporting yourself it's likely you can take bigger chances. How long can you survive without a paycheck? How much money does the 9 to 5 provide? If it's a job paying 30k then it's a big sacrifice for a small payoff. And then the business side, do you have evidence of performance? And all the questions the others raised. Big questions

Wisarut likes this.
  5. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $50,021
    I started my first successful business (a web hosting company) while on a 9-5 job. Worked on it evenings and weekends. Balancing the time was the biggest challenge, so there will come a point where you have to decide when and how to transition. With the job I had, I convinced my boss I could work remotely from home for some of the work, a couple of days a week (instead of doing the 1 hour each way daily commute) - and they provided me with a work laptop to do so. I realize that's not a common but in some fields of work it's an option. At my end there, before we moved from Norway to the US again - I asked if I could switch from full-time to part-time because it wouldn't have been fair to my employer to take more time out of my responsibilities to them to work on my own stuff. Eventually though, it was all a bit too much stress so I decided to sell the business.

This was before I knew anything about virtual assistants and outsourcing, and had I known about that then - I could have easily continued and grown the business that way. It was just overwhelming with it being just me.

Don't quit your job until you are comfortable enough financially and time-wise. You don't want to burn yourself out working 18 hour days (your business growth will suffer too). Set aside a savings buffer for when you quit (or get fired, you should do this anyway). If it's showing signs of becoming successful - outsource / hire VA's as soon as you can afford it.

LinorCG, astr0, SMH and 2 others like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.