The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

4 months left - all or nothing

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #17

I got a client. The formalities are left till the next week, because I have to make a contract with a lawyer or I'll make one myself, but the other option seems silly (It probably just is).

I gave him two price options, he took the more expensive one. Halleluiah. I mean - woohoo.

See, the point is that the contracts aren't signed yet, so I don't want to be too optimistic about it.

I still didn't make the funnel. I still have a lot of things to learn. And most importantly - a lot of things to do.

I sent him questions though. So I can start writing texts as soon as he sends me the answers.

The guy from fb don't respond to my texts or calls. For now I'll assume he's just busy. We'll see.

Things I did today:

• had 7 sessions of pomodoro (still not the best day, but I found out a way to count those pomodoro sessions. Yay!)
  • made a nice, smooth proposal - I'm getting better at it (but still needs a lots of improvements)
  • learned a lot about emails
That's it for today, see you tomorrow

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #17

So my new client (not officially, but soon he'll be my client) is very responsive and asked me if I can make him 2 logos for additional fee.

It turned out that some of his services make him a competition to me.

Hopefully it won't be a problem to put name of my company in a footer of the website I'm going to make him.

And yeah - I don't want the website to be too good, if that makes sense. I'll make his website almost as good as I would do it to myself. Is that wrong?

Hours just fly by, one by one, there is no way I cannot go with a strict schedule. I'm trying to go without one and yet I am failing to achieve things I want to achieve everyday. I have to make a schedule. Preferably a strict one.

Things I did today:

• learned a lot about sales messages and facebook ads
  • had 5 sessions of pomodoro (now I go with 30/5)
  • had a workout

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hi

Well done on your progress so far.

In this instance, you took him on as a client and therefore it is your duty to do your best.

Do you really want to hand over a paid project knowing that you deliberately didn't?

Start as you mean to go on. With the best reputation you can build for yourself.

Dan

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I’m curious about the thought process behind deliberately holding back on delivering the best you can do.

I really am.

Why?

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Yes guys, @woken and @Stargazer - you are both have a great question. The whole approach has really no sense. I cannot even explain my thought process properly around the whole thought.

I think I didn't want to help my competition. That's all. And yet - he is going to officially be my client tomorrow.

He isn't my competition - his services will overlap in some aspects in the future, but right now that's not the case.

I was thinking that I don't want his website to look better than mine. What a poor mindset I have.

I even said that earlier:
From now on I am focused on actually giving value to other people. Period.

You are right guys - it is my job to do my best. I want to help him - there is no point in not doing my best. In the end we are all getting better.

And you know what? I will overdeliver him. I know that we agreed upon less subpages, but I know some additional pages will be much more helpful for him in an SEO standpoint.

Thank you @Stargazer and @woken once again. You are helping me to stay on the right path. I appreciate that.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #19

So it's 19-th day, I made a mistake yesterday with counting.

I analyzed all the posts in this thread and I made some points:

First of all - I truly apologize for my English. Most of the time I do not check my grammar nor I read what I've read because it's just too much time consuming. At least that's my excuse. From now on I'll try to make it less uncomfortable to read.

Second - I want to say thank you to you guys once more: @woken and @Stargazer . I really appreciate that you guys steered me to the right direction. That's absolutely awesome guys!

The last but not least - that's a lot of progress, but yet a lot of things need improvements. Let's get back to work!

Things I did today:

• I planned exactly what do I want to achieve in the next 5 years so I can exactly tell if the numbers I've given myself to achieve every day are checked. Right now for example I aim for getting one client once a week.
  • I decided exactly who I want to be. I know a lot about the character and I will become him step by step.
  • I finally divided my schedule into the time blocks. It's all on google calendar so it's automated. I'm sure it won't survive in its form for long, but hey - you have to start somewhere, right?
  • I learned that making contracts on your own is not that hard. Especially if you have Internet connection...

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Good man! :)

Remember, he too has customers and some of them will ask for things that are not a good fit for him but might be right for you. He could potentially pass you work.

In future though, maybe verify what a potential customer does before deciding to connect and the dilemma wont occur.

Dan

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #20

I won't give too much of my insights since this day because it basically does nothing good to anybody and is too time consuming for me.

Things I did today:

• helped prospect to pick right logo
  • advised him about emails
  • started preparing the contract

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #21

Working out possibly everyday from now on.

Things I did today:

• got the contract ready
  • got the invoice ready
  • got the palette of colors ready
  • started on logos
  • learned more about facebook ads copy

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #22

I missed yesterday but I'm keep going.

Things I did yesterday:

• learned a lot about mindset: why emotions are important but not THAT important, how we operate on everyday basis, why memories are almost always false...

Day #23

Things I did today:

• decided to do better research next time I pick a new accountant (seems obvious, but hey - I keep learning everyday)
  • learned some things about organic Facebook traffic
That's it for today (and yesterday), see you tomorrow

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #24

I forgot once again.

Things I did yesterday:

• learned some things about Facebook and a value of organic traffic
That's it, see you later in the day

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #25

So I missed another day. I'll go with number 25.

Basically the days I missed I was binging. Eating and living like sh*t.

I was terrified to make a mistake.

Finally the pressure was too big to handle so I just started doing things I'm supposed to do.

One by one.

I worked.

So right now I am endlessly happy that I started doing the things I was supposed to do much earlier in the month.

Things I did today:

• started working on the clients website
  • learned more things about organic posts

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Not a fan of “the more time you put in, the better” mantra, but, does it only seem like or do you really work only 1h / day?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
More or less yea...
It will take years to get anywhere at 1 hour a day. That's even assuming you're doing 1 hour of actual work a day. A lot of what I'm seeing here is action faking (i.e. "learning about X").

If you've only got 4 months, you need to be constantly working. Not learning. Working.

Work is the following, and only the following is work:
1) Generating leads
2) Turning leads into paying clients
3) Delivering for those clients

You shouldn't be doing anything else. Every day should be a combination of those 3 things. 1 & 2 are more important than 3, since with enough money you can outsource delivery.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
It will take years to get anywhere at 1 hour a day. That's even assuming you're doing 1 hour of actual work a day. A lot of what I'm seeing here is action faking (i.e. "learning about X").

If you've only got 4 months, you need to be constantly working. Not learning. Working.

1) Generating leads

You shouldn't be doing anything else. Every day should be a combination of those 3 things. 1 & 2 are more important than 3, since with enough money you can outsource delivery.
Hey, you are right. Thank you

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #26

1) Generating leads

These are some words of the truth. It was tough to read but yeah - it is all correct.

I don't put enough effort into it. And that's that.

Thank you @lowtek once again. And thank you for this thread:
THIS

I have to change the way I work. The framework you've given me leaves no room to action-faking.

Things I did today:

• did a whole structure of the client's website

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #27

I just realized that the font I'm using to write here looks like spammy emails I get everyday...

Didn't do that much, but wasn't binging too much either.

Things I did today:

• did a lot things on the website (most of the structure, most of the copy)
  • did drafts of the logotypes to show them the prospect
From now on there's a thread of a day.

So the thread of a day is...

1,986 Words On Happiness, Clarity, Speed, Introversion, Attachment And Confidence by @Johnny boy

Some hard to swallow words of truth.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
It turned out that some of his services make him a competition to me.

I love my competition, I'll offer to collab with many of them but most are dumb and just see some kind of war that does not exist. Only few will take me up on it and they are pure gold to work with and I just learn, get stronger from it and and have solid partners when needed.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
I love my competition, I'll offer to collab with many of them but most are dumb and just see some kind of war that does not exist. Only few will take me up on it and they are pure gold to work with and I just learn, get stronger from it and and have solid partners when needed.
You are a second person giving me this advice, I'll definitely will try to work with him since he has suggested it already.

Thanks for your honesty!

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Day #28

My days lack structure, I'm changing that right now. I gave myself a strict schedule, but it turns out it is too strict for now. I'm changing it right after writing this.

I binged today, so let's call it a rest day.

Things I did today:

• sent a contract and an invoice to my prospect in regards of the logo
  • started reading a book about "lean" system
The thread of the day is... A Physicist's Guide To Learning Hard Things (And Using The Scientific Method) by @lowtek

Great approach to solving problems.

It's amazing how many awesome things you can find on this forum and it's free. Only insane person wouldn't take it, right?

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
“One’s ability to adapt when given obvious advice is crucial in achieving desired results.” - woken :rofl::rofl:

That being said, fun time is over, get busier.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
“One’s ability to adapt when given obvious advice is crucial in achieving desired results.” - woken :rofl::rofl:

That being said, fun time is over, get busier.
Thanks @woken :rofl:

I am going to write it down for sure :rofl:

But yes, you are right, there is no other logical option right now

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
You are a second person giving me this advice, I'll definitely will try to work with him since he has suggested it already.

Thanks for your honesty!

Glad to hear you will give a try. I think if its like a Coke and Pepsi situation much different story, or maybe if the only two bakers in town, but in most cases it can only help. Good luck, rooting for ya!

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia

Agreed, some of my biggest deals have come by teaming up with a "competitor".

Wouldn't say I love them though lol. They work in ways that I don't approve of, but then again that's what makes us two separate service providers.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Agreed, some of my biggest deals have come by teaming up with a "competitor".

Wouldn't say I love them though lol. They work in ways that I don't approve of, but then again that's what makes us two separate service providers.
I guess I love the gold ones and both incompetent ones I don't work with as they make my job so much easier.

bibbysoka

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jul 5, 2019
Read through each of your daily posts and not gonna lie but it seems like you could have done all of these things from the past 28 days in one or two days. There's a lot of action faking from your writing, and even though it seems you stopped your streak of documenting your journey I would encourage you to keep going and make the turn around. It's difficult to rewire your mind but it's possible.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Read through each of your daily posts and not gonna lie but it seems like you could have done all of these things from the past 28 days in one or two days. There's a lot of action faking from your writing, and even though it seems you stopped your streak of documenting your journey I would encourage you to keep going and make the turn around. It's difficult to rewire your mind but it's possible.
Hey, yes it is difficult but I believe that's possible as well. Thank you.

That being said...

Most of the time I didn't post I was totally not doing a thing. Like 15 days before the end of the contract I started to delivering to my client and that's it. The contract has ended, time has passed and that's that.

1 week ago I started doing an accountability daily call with my good friend. We're struggling with different things but those calls are helpful for both of us.

Since that I came up with approximately 10 different of getting clients and started doing 2 of them. There's a lot action faking of course but I am doing it so that's something.

So I sent 7 proposals (aka upwork sites but for my country) today.

5 days ago or sth I asked people I know if they need my services. They might need it in the future.

And the best part is that I thought that I have more than 4 months from the topic. It turned out that the money I have right now is too old and not that valuable (I can exchange it for like 60% of value outside of the country - it is about Swiss francs). So it is literally 2 months and if I don't get any client I'm done.

I want you to see my thought process - even though I am literally going to be broke in 2 months if I don't take massive action I am still action faking (for example I was lying 7 hours in bed since I woken up today and was playing a video game).

I write it in much detail so I hope it will help somebody somehow. Just see how thoughts can be f****d up.

I don't know. Maybe I just want to fail in it. That's not the way I should think about that but how can you explain that?

So I will post here everyday. It is suppose to help me, let's see how it goes.

bibbysoka

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jul 5, 2019
Hey, yes it is difficult but I believe that's possible as well. Thank you.

That being said...

Most of the time I didn't post I was totally not doing a thing. Like 15 days before the end of the contract I started to delivering to my client and that's it. The contract has ended, time has passed and that's that.

1 week ago I started doing an accountability daily call with my good friend. We're struggling with different things but those calls are helpful for both of us.

Since that I came up with approximately 10 different of getting clients and started doing 2 of them. There's a lot action faking of course but I am doing it so that's something.

So I sent 7 proposals (aka upwork sites but for my country) today.

5 days ago or sth I asked people I know if they need my services. They might need it in the future.

And the best part is that I thought that I have more than 4 months from the topic. It turned out that the money I have right now is too old and not that valuable (I can exchange it for like 60% of value outside of the country - it is about Swiss francs). So it is literally 2 months and if I don't get any client I'm done.

I want you to see my thought process - even though I am literally going to be broke in 2 months if I don't take massive action I am still action faking (for example I was lying 7 hours in bed since I woken up today and was playing a video game).

I write it in much detail so I hope it will help somebody somehow. Just see how thoughts can be f****d up.

I don't know. Maybe I just want to fail in it. That's not the way I should think about that but how can you explain that?

So I will post here everyday. It is suppose to help me, let's see how it goes.

I think your head is in the right place. You want success, and you want to document the journey even if you’re being lazy some days or not productive, because like you said: it might help someone out in some way. When I am. reading the journal entries of others, I start comparing their productivity level to my own. There is always value in journaling and documentation, my goal was not to be mean or shit on you.

I am happy you responded months later. Get after your goals this new year. Create a strategy and try sticking to it. See what works, develop sensors that let you know if you’re getting closer to your goals or farther away from your goals. Constantly adjust and let us know how it goes.

puredot

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jun 26, 2020
Poland
Today was a lucky day. And I don't mean like hollow luck, I did things so other things happened, it's more this way.

My past client wants me to do some more things to his website and he wants to pay me. That's awesome.

Also from one of the postings a guys wants my help. I've never done what he is looking for but it is great opportunity to learn. That's great as well.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.