The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

34/f/chicago, corporate slow laner ready for major change!

jdotspin2018

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
700%
May 24, 2018
Hi everyone!

At the recommendation of a friend I am listening to Unscripted , and it's exactly what I need to hear. I'm at this forum not only to toss my ideas by people, but also to hopefully build a network, in person or online, of likeminded people. Most of my adult life has been in the corporate world and as such, most of the people in my social circle aren't exactly living an unscripted life.

I got a Biochem degree because I thought it was 'hard'. I then got an MBA because I wanted 'opportunities'. I landed a job working in the medical device industry because i wanted a never ending social life (for some unknown reason, I'm more of an introvert) and I wanted 'money'. I got exactly what I wanted, but I'm pretty unfulfilled and have known this for a long time.

I'm still working in medical sales while I start up my own side business, currently volunteering. I'm not sure what MJ and the books say about therapists and coaches, but I would really like to become a therapist. I always wanted to do that, i just couldn't figure out how to make a profitable career out of it. Now with my life experience and knowledge, Im pretty sure I could build a private practice, partly online, that really provides a lot of value and gives me some financial flexibility and the schedule I desire.

Until I actually get my master's in social work, I'm starting a career coaching business. I'm naturally good at this, and people need a decent amount of help. I've put together a rough business plan, and I want to quit my job but I currently don't have any revenue. What I *do* have is slow-laner savings. I've managed to save up over $300K, and part of me thinks that if I could just quit my corporate job, and pour myself into coaching, I could start to find some customers relatively quickly. Feeling shitty about myself and daily life isn't exactly getting my career juices flowing.

Just saying hi. I want to quit my job without having anther one yet, but everyone advises that's a bad idea. We shall see....I guess I should go do some work :\

JS

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome!

I'm not sure what MJ and the books say about therapists and coaches, but I would really like to become a therapist

Sounds like a time trade, not something that will make you "rich" but could be just a fulfilling as a need based business.

I've managed to save up over $300K

Impressive!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Sounds like a time trade, not something that will make you "rich" but could be just a fulfilling as a need based business.

This. Figure out if that's what you want to do, or if money is more fulfilling.

Also are there therapy products that fill needs? If so, that could be an easier way to get into the fastlane while running your therapy business.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I got a Biochem degree because I thought it was 'hard'. I then got an MBA because I wanted 'opportunities'. I landed a job working in the medical device industry because i wanted a never ending social life (for some unknown reason, I'm more of an introvert) and I wanted 'money'. I got exactly what I wanted, but I'm pretty unfulfilled and have known this for a long time.
JS
I have a biochem degree, also! I did it because it was the most challenging major I could find. Then, I thought about going back and doing an MBA but I realized that was a path for a lifelong W-2 employee. Now I am in real estate and loving it.

I'm still working in medical sales while I start up my own side business, currently volunteering. I'm not sure what MJ and the books say about therapists and coaches, but I would really like to become a therapist. I always wanted to do that, i just couldn't figure out how to make a profitable career out of it. Now with my life experience and knowledge, Im pretty sure I could build a private practice, partly online, that really provides a lot of value and gives me some financial flexibility and the schedule I desire. JS
How about creating a training course for medical sales professionals? Or a series of courses. That's what you know. Med sales is a hot career right now. People in that field have the money to pay for that "extra edge" to close more deals and service more customers. You could do one-on-one coaching, too. You could do group coaching. Have a conference call with 10-20 clients at a time. That way you are leveraging your time. The courses could be online video so you could really leverage your time and money.

Until I actually get my master's in social work, I'm starting a career coaching business. I'm naturally good at this, and people need a decent amount of help.
JS
Why go back to school? Is it really worth the time and money so that you could find another job that trades time for money?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
@jdotspin2018

Welcome to the forum!

Great job on getting into the medical sales field and creating a lifestyle for yourself where you've built up that amount of savings, that is impressive!

I wouldn't bother going back to school unless there is a personal reason for doing so. There are enough books and resources out there that you could at least make a start at building yourself as a coach OR you could even reach out to other coaches and look to get into a mentee role. If you get a few clients and determine that you still want the Masters in Social Work and want to go into the counseling field, then it will be up to you to make that decision.

Honestly, if I am looking for a coach or mentor these days. I care very little about the schooling or degrees they have.

I want results. I want to see what they have done to help others and if they can specifically help me skyrocket to the next level in X category.

There has been a great recommendation by @DustinH and @AgainstAllOdds to look at opportunities from a top-down perspective.

Where could you build a business that you can utilize your skills, without trading time for money?

Can you build something with the CENTS framework right now?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to the forum. Saw the medical sales job in there. I'm still working the day job myself in Pharma sales. It pays well and gives me the freedom to work on my business which is nice, but cant wait to leave it.

Being in sales is such a huge skill that you can definitely utilize in your Fastlane pursuits.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...