The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

3 years in the forum.... just made over $10,000 in 2 weeks at 17 years old.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll begin with the book that set this all in effect.

I had always known people made money online, but I didn't know how. I was 15 years old, It feels like forever ago, but I remember at the time I had been really interested in wanting to make money from my room. Originally I tried bitcoin, as I thought that was the only way possible for me to hold money in my name, without having to approach my parents. Bitcoin started to blow up and I only had like $20 worth of bitcoin in my account. It rose to around $40 after a few days, and I spent it on some headphones on a bitcoin to Amazon service. Then bitcoin REALLY started to blow up. I decided to quit bitcoin. I still had this burning passion to keep up with the kids at school, I wanted to have all the cool tech they did, and be able to buy my own toys and stuff. I then started looking up forex trading. I spent my summer of 2017 taking notes in google drive (which I still have today) on how to grow from $100 to $100,000 or whatever guru's told me as a kid.

My dad advised me to start reading books If I wanted to learn how to make real money when I grow up. I slowly started reading books, but I never stuck to one. I was browsing the r/entrepreneur subreddit when someone another user to read the millionaire fastlane . The title sounded cool, and at the time I didn't have enough money so I pirated the book. I cannot emphasize this enough, The millionaire fastlane changed my life. I remember the book caught my attention so well I read through it in like one week. I didn't know it at the time, but It started an amazing domino chain which led up to now, 3 years later. At the recommendation of the end of the book, I joined the forum winter of 2017. I was greeted with Gold posts which inspired me, My favorite among which was "6 Figures at 18! 1 year on The Fastlane Forum" by PTP. I remember thinking, I'd love to have 6 figures at 18, If PTP can do it, so can I. I basically tried to copy what he did, I read through @biophase e-commerce thread, I looked up e-commerce videos on youtube (I only watched the ones with flashy cars and gurus promoting courses though). And thus started my first genuine attempt at a business. I didn't get very far, I spent months of inaction, I had a Shopify account, but I kept telling myself I was too young to be able to talk between suppliers and sell products. I knew what I had to do but it all scared me. And I kept thinking about what the end would be like instead of what I needed to do. After a while, I ""quit"" my e-commerce business (which I named ephebeum Importing, name took me a few weeks to come up with). After this, I felt doomed, but I still knew that there were people in my age group making money online, thanks to this forum, and I still remembered everything I read in TMF . I was determined that I would keep trying to become successful for the rest of my life, even if it took the same time @MJ DeMarco did.

Shortly after e-commerce, I tried Amazon FBA and affiliate marketing. Both of those ended with similar fates to my e-commerce venture. I think I was almost 16 now, and that's when I came across digital marketing and Sean Marshalls thread. I "officially" started the business when I turned 16 in January 2018, I was a bit more determined than I was in the past with my previous ventures, But I still had lingering thoughts of being too young, or not knowing how to do the work, or simply just failing. But I kept pushing, I kept reading books and trying to learn as much as possible in the space.

I had a few months of Inaction, but I was making slow and steady progress. I kept working on my website, and I even got my parents to make me a PayPal business account for "paying the taxes when I get paid". Fast forward 1 year, and I turn 17. This is when I had a miniature FTE. I got really fed up with myself, I kept seeing success on the internet, and by then I had read through hundreds of stories and videos of young teenagers that had "made it big" in the online business area. and I still felt like I wasn't moving. Around this time I also started my execution thread, and my main focus was getting my first client. By now I had only done a couple of sites for my father and his friends, but that was it. at the time of creating the thread, I was set on holding myself accountable and getting my first client. The only problem is that I tried to fuel my work with motivation instead of discipline and consistency, much like I had for all my previous business ventures. I was also doing work that wasn't getting results. I convinced myself I was doing hard work by sending out large email campaigns and trying to get a client that way.

after a few months, almost halfway into the year now, I had barely any results. My thread was starting to look less promising. and so was my "business". It started to piss me off. a lot. I really wanted to be successful early, because like I had learned years ago from reading the millionaire fastlane , there was no way in hell I wanted to go to college and go through the life my parents wanted me to live. This anger started to build up, day by day. But I still kept doing the same thing. then one day... POP. I had a genuine FTE. I knew that it was either I make this entrepreneurship thing work, or my life would be living hell knowing what I could be but never became.

I tried again, but this time I had something to prove to myself. I had been reading books and generally just building my knowledge over the years, but I never learned about what discipline does, or at least I never cared. This time I applied discipline to my attempt, and I laid out some simple goals. I wanted to: 1. Get my first client, and 2. grow my business to 10k after that.

The next couple of days felt like a blur, I locked myself in my room. I deleted all social media, I barely even spoke to my own family. I woke up every day at 6, and RELENTLESSLY worked on those 2 goals. until late at night. I learned every. single. thing. I could on cold calling, prospecting, and selling. All my focus was on learning to sell my marketing company to these potential clients and then closing them at high ticket. Looking back, I've probably consumed a few days worth of content on sales. At the same time, I started cold calling businesses. If I wasn't learning to sell, I was applying what I knew. After a few DAYS of this hard discipline and ACTION. I started seeing something..... Results. I was starting to get comfortable speaking on the phone, I had more confidence in my business, of course, I was still scared about what could go wrong, whether I would fail or not. But I KEPT going. Then some magical things happened. I started booking meetings. The first meeting I had was kind of a fail, the man was interested in what I had to offer, but I was so focused on selling him a service and making money than I was in actually helping him. He never responded after the meeting ended. I felt a ton of doubt and fear start to kick in, I thought all my work was worth nothing. But I KEPT going.

I researched a TON for the next few days, preparing for my next 2 appointments. I even stopped cold calling. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this.. then the days of my 2 meetings came.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
I had a 15-page google doc that I made with notes on how to close clients in meetings, and how to genuinely provide them with enough value to justify a high service price. I memorized the google document down to a T.

My first meeting started off a little rough, but the script kept me great. I first asked them questions about their business, I listened to their problems, and I genuinely showed them the way they could fix it themselves, Then I started leading them into the close, they were agreeing with everything I was saying, and then I did it. I pushed them for the close by explaining how I and my team could take care of the work, and I ended with "so would you like to get started?" ...... after a few seconds of silence, I heard my first YES.

I had just closed a contracting company, to run a google advertisement for them, with a marketing budget of $600, and a management fee of $5,000 a month. over my cell phone. I almost started crying. But I had to prepare for my next meeting in a few more days, I wanted to make sure that I could consistently do what I had just done.

fast forward to me going through the recorded phone call of the first meeting (I highly recommend you record your calls and sales, you learn so much from it). I came into the second meeting strong as ever. with a point to prove.

I closed the second client at a very identical deal, they had a $1,000 marketing budget, and I charged them a $5,000 a month management fee.

(if anyone is wondering, I outsource the work to an established white label marketing agency here in the US)

I now had time to breathe, I hadn't really left my room for anything other than food and family in the past few days, I basically had tunnel vision, and my back was starting to ache. But I came out of that room a changed person. I had made more money than I'd ever seen in my life.

Last edited:

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
So, now an update. What Have I done since then?

First of all, I started planning. I plan on keeping 10% of my income for spending, saving 50% and then I will bet investing the %40 into some investments (index funds, dividend stocks, investment trusts, and REITs and ETFs (VGSIX if anyone is interested)) so I can start learning. I plan on investing in these through a Roth IRA. I have a good chance of retiring very very early now, and I don't want to mess it up.

I've also been investing in myself. I saw the results it gave me when I really put my foot down. The first thing I did was buy a $6,000 course that I had seen a few days ago on agency growth designed for marketing agency owners. I'm going to go through the course tomorrow.

I've also started networking. I joined a few private facebook groups with agency owners, and I've already met a few people in the industry. Been asking a lot of questions and speaking with them. I've received a TON of value by just speaking with these guys.

So now the goals:
  1. Grow my agency to 10k, then 100k a month in income. I've been cold calling again now, 25372and as you can see with the green cells above, looks like I've got a few more meetings and appointments to make :)
  2. continue investing and building up my investment portfolio, at the same time continue building up savings with the %50 remainder of my income.
  3. learn as much as possible. learning got me here, learning will get me where I want to go
  4. enjoy life, I've never (and I don't think I will) worked a genuine job.
  5. make smart choices.
  6. Retire as early as possible, live off my investments and savings, maybe even start another business, that's far in the future
I also want to give back to the community. I remember just how frustrating it was for me a few weeks ago, and all I needed was some guidance which I found in myself. I really want to help others who were in my place succeed because I know what it felt like having a ton of doubt with me all the time. (If you have any specific questions about my business, dm me or just ask me in here).
I also want to somehow help the community in a larger way. not sure how I'll go about that, but I want to provide some value and help for future me's wanting to make a change in themselves and the world around them.

If you're reading this and you're young like I was, that is not a holdback. I used to think that my age limited me and I couldn't do anything because of it other than wait, but I was wrong. You have so much free time in your teenage years, you can't just waste it away on parties and videogames. You can do truly anything at any age, and you have more time and resources available than the competition. not to mention you got a pretty good head start ;).

lastly, but definitely not least.
THANK. YOU. MJ DeMarco AND THE FASTLANE COMMUNITY.
Looking back now, you've changed me from the lost kid I used to be who just wanted to make a few bucks. I seriously do not know where I would be had I not picked up the millionaire fastlane when I did. I've recommended the book to tons and tons of my friends now. But words cannot emphasize how amazing this community and the books have been. can't wait for the 3rd one Mj!

I LOVE YOU GUYS. :)

Ojizy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jun 25, 2019
So, now an update. What Have I done since then?

First of all, I started planning. I plan on keeping 10% of my income for spending, saving 50% and then I will bet investing the %40 into some investments (index funds, dividend stocks, investment trusts, and REITs and ETFs (VGSIX if anyone is interested)) so I can start learning. I plan on investing in these through a Roth IRA. I have a good chance of retiring very very early now, and I don't want to mess it up.

I've also been investing in myself. I saw the results it gave me when I really put my foot down. The first thing I did was buy a $6,000 course that I had seen a few days ago on agency growth designed for marketing agency owners. I'm going to go through the course tomorrow.

I've also started networking. I joined a few private facebook groups with agency owners, and I've already met a few people in the industry. Been asking a lot of questions and speaking with them. I've received a TON of value by just speaking with these guys.

So now the goals:
  1. Grow my agency to 10k, then 100k a month in income. I've been cold calling again now, View attachment 25372and as you can see with the green cells above, looks like I've got a few more meetings and appointments to make :)
  2. continue investing and building up my investment portfolio, at the same time continue building up savings with the %50 remainder of my income.
  3. learn as much as possible. learning got me here, learning will get me where I want to go
  4. enjoy life, I've never (and I don't think I will) worked a genuine job.
  5. make smart choices.
  6. Retire as early as possible, live off my investments and savings, maybe even start another business, that's far in the future
I also want to give back to the community. I remember just how frustrating it was for me a few weeks ago, and all I needed was some guidance which I found in myself. I really want to help others who were in my place succeed because I know what it felt like having a ton of doubt with me all the time. (If you have any specific questions about my business, dm me or just ask me in here).
I also want to somehow help the community in a larger way. not sure how I'll go about that, but I want to provide some value and help for future me's wanting to make a change in themselves and the world around them.

If you're reading this and you're young like I was, that is not a holdback. I used to think that my age limited me and I couldn't do anything because of it other than wait, but I was wrong. You have so much free time in your teenage years, you can't just waste it away on parties and videogames. You can do truly anything at any age, and you have more time and resources available than the competition. not to mention you got a pretty good head start ;).

lastly, but definitely not least.
THANK. YOU. MJ DeMarco AND THE FASTLANE COMMUNITY.
Looking back now, you've changed me from the lost kid I used to be who just wanted to make a few bucks. I seriously do not know where I would be had I not picked up the millionaire fastlane when I did. I've recommended the book to tons and tons of my friends now. But words cannot emphasize how amazing this community and the books have been. can't wait for the 3rd one Mj!

I LOVE YOU GUYS. :)
What an amazing experience

adamgalloway

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,000%
Jun 27, 2019
I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll begin with the book that set this all in effect.

I had always known people made money online, but I didn't know how. I was 15 years old, It feels like forever ago, but I remember at the time I had been really interested in wanting to make money from my room. Originally I tried bitcoin, as I thought that was the only way possible for me to hold money in my name, without having to approach my parents. Bitcoin started to blow up and I only had like $20 worth of bitcoin in my account. It rose to around $40 after a few days, and I spent it on some headphones on a bitcoin to Amazon service. Then bitcoin REALLY started to blow up. I decided to quit bitcoin. I still had this burning passion to keep up with the kids at school, I wanted to have all the cool tech they did, and be able to buy my own toys and stuff. I then started looking up forex trading. I spent my summer of 2017 taking notes in google drive (which I still have today) on how to grow from $100 to $100,000 or whatever guru's told me as a kid.

My dad advised me to start reading books If I wanted to learn how to make real money when I grow up. I slowly started reading books, but I never stuck to one. I was browsing the r/entrepreneur subreddit when someone another user to read the millionaire fastlane . The title sounded cool, and at the time I didn't have enough money so I pirated the book. I cannot emphasize this enough, The millionaire fastlane changed my life. I remember the book caught my attention so well I read through it in like one week. I didn't know it at the time, but It started an amazing domino chain which led up to now, 3 years later. At the recommendation of the end of the book, I joined the forum winter of 2017. I was greeted with Gold posts which inspired me, My favorite among which was "6 Figures at 18! 1 year on The Fastlane Forum" by PTP. I remember thinking, I'd love to have 6 figures at 18, If PTP can do it, so can I. I basically tried to copy what he did, I read through @biophase e-commerce thread, I looked up e-commerce videos on youtube (I only watched the ones with flashy cars and gurus promoting courses though). And thus started my first genuine attempt at a business. I didn't get very far, I spent months of inaction, I had a Shopify account, but I kept telling myself I was too young to be able to talk between suppliers and sell products. I knew what I had to do but it all scared me. And I kept thinking about what the end would be like instead of what I needed to do. After a while, I ""quit"" my e-commerce business (which I named ephebeum Importing, name took me a few weeks to come up with). After this, I felt doomed, but I still knew that there were people in my age group making money online, thanks to this forum, and I still remembered everything I read in TMF . I was determined that I would keep trying to become successful for the rest of my life, even if it took the same time MJ did.

Shortly after e-commerce, I tried Amazon FBA and affiliate marketing. Both of those ended with similar fates to my e-commerce venture. I think I was almost 16 now, and that's when I came across digital marketing and Sean Marshalls thread. I "officially" started the business when I turned 16 in January 2018, I was a bit more determined than I was in the past with my previous ventures, But I still had lingering thoughts of being too young, or not knowing how to do the work, or simply just failing. But I kept pushing, I kept reading books and trying to learn as much as possible in the space.

I had a few months of Inaction, but I was making slow and steady progress. I kept working on my website, and I even got my parents to make me a PayPal business account for "paying the taxes when I get paid". Fast forward 1 year, and I turn 17. This is when I had a miniature FTE. I got really fed up with myself, I kept seeing success on the internet, and by then I had read through hundreds of stories and videos of young teenagers that had "made it big" in the online business area. and I still felt like I wasn't moving. Around this time I also started my execution thread, and my main focus was getting my first client. By now I had only done a couple of sites for my father and his friends, but that was it. at the time of creating the thread, I was set on holding myself accountable and getting my first client. The only problem is that I tried to fuel my work with motivation instead of discipline and consistency, much like I had for all my previous business ventures. I was also doing work that wasn't getting results. I convinced myself I was doing hard work by sending out large email campaigns and trying to get a client that way.

after a few months, almost halfway into the year now, I had barely any results. My thread was starting to look less promising. and so was my "business". It started to piss me off. a lot. I really wanted to be successful early, because like I had learned years ago from reading the millionaire fastlane , there was no way in hell I wanted to go to college and go through the life my parents wanted me to live. This anger started to build up, day by day. But I still kept doing the same thing. then one day... POP. I had a genuine FTE. I knew that it was either I make this entrepreneurship thing work, or my life would be living hell knowing what I could be but never became.

I tried again, but this time I had something to prove to myself. I had been reading books and generally just building my knowledge over the years, but I never learned about what discipline does, or at least I never cared. This time I applied discipline to my attempt, and I laid out some simple goals. I wanted to: 1. Get my first client, and 2. grow my business to 10k after that.

The next couple of days felt like a blur, I locked myself in my room. I deleted all social media, I barely even spoke to my own family. I woke up every day at 6, and RELENTLESSLY worked on those 2 goals. until late at night. I learned every. single. thing. I could on cold calling, prospecting, and selling. All my focus was on learning to sell my marketing company to these potential clients and then closing them at high ticket. Looking back, I've probably consumed a few days worth of content on sales. At the same time, I started cold calling businesses. If I wasn't learning to sell, I was applying what I knew. After a few DAYS of this hard discipline and ACTION. I started seeing something..... Results. I was starting to get comfortable speaking on the phone, I had more confidence in my business, of course, I was still scared about what could go wrong, whether I would fail or not. But I KEPT going. Then some magical things happened. I started booking meetings. The first meeting I had was kind of a fail, the man was interested in what I had to offer, but I was so focused on selling him a service and making money than I was in actually helping him. He never responded after the meeting ended. I felt a ton of doubt and fear start to kick in, I thought all my work was worth nothing. But I KEPT going.

I researched a TON for the next few days, preparing for my next 2 appointments. I even stopped cold calling. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this.. then the days of my 2 meetings came.

Are you actually charging 5K management fees for $600 ad spend? How did you justify this to the client?

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Are you actually charging 5K management fees for $600 ad spend? How did you justify this to the client?

I build up justification during the meeting. I start by asking them questions that get them thinking about their problem, I ask them about their marketing, how it works, their conversion rate, etc. This is the first step.

Then I go into showing my expertise and that I can help solve their big problem, but by giving them value at the same time. I basically reverse engineer their current marketing system in front of them, I explain how if they're spending $600 per click on an ad, and out of those 600 clicks only 2% to 5%, for them they think it's great, 12 new kitchen remodeling customers for a contracting company is like $150,000 worth of revenue. that's a $12,000 value per customer.

but for every 5% of people that convert on their current ad, or website or what have you. the other 95% clicked and clicked away. There's a WHOLE lot more revenue that they can capitalize on if they simply improved their website or google ad. again, These companies are already making money, but they could be making MORE. And 99% the people I've spoken with don't even have a google ad.

so now they see that I at least know what I'm talking about, they learn that they could be making a LOT more money and that I'm being 100% genuine. most people in the marketing company hop on a meeting and they start with their "package" and pricing and try to sell them SEO. what I do is I first hear their problem, then provide them with some expertise and a solution.

THEN, I start to explain how I would have my team run the ad, the team I outsource my work to hires a professional Google adwords (guy or something idk what they call him) and they create a google ad that not only converts, but they try their BEST to optimize their conversion rate.

So now the client knows their problem, they know the solution, they see the money it can make. and now they're thinking about how I can help solve it. By this part of the sale all, I have to do is get objections out of the way, and then state my price. which I do. everything leading up to the price justifies it and I don't have to explain any further. If they ask me "wow that's expensive". too many people start explaining why the price is the way that it is and they scramble to justify it. I already justified it. "yeah, I agree with you the price is expensive." is all I say, but they already KNOW the value they get. When you increase the conversion rate for a contractor from 5% to even 7% in the first month, off of a $600 ad spend. You just made them jump from:25376
in revenue. And I know the team that I outsource to will do this. In fact, over a few months, they've gotten some ads to convert 20 to 30%. But that small increase in customers per month for a contracting company Is worth so much to them, they won't care what price it's at, sure they'll be hesitant at first, but if you build some rapport during the meeting, have some humor, get them to like you as a person, and be 100% transparent and honest. You will have already done for them something most people in this industry haven't done. Given IMMENSE value. go through the meeting in the way I've explained to you, by the end they'll understand perfectly, and there's a very high chance you WILL close the sale at whatever price you state. For the next high-ticket client I pitch, like an attorney or an hvac company, I'm going to try to push a $10,000 sale, I'll keep you guys updated. but It's really not much to ask for when you're GENUINELY showing them how they can tens of hundreds of thousands to the table.

That's the power of sales guys. That's why I invested $6,000 in learning how to close clients at higher ticket. It's what makes the difference betweeen a small company charging $2,000 for an "seo" package and ony having few clients, and an agency with 10 clients at 10k each making $100k per month.

don't just sell packages, like MJ said in unscripted , if you had the cure for cancer, and you show people it works, no one cares what age you are, or really even how you do it. they will come running to pay you whatever you charge. Sell a solution to a problem that genuinely works. And they will give you whatever you ask.

Attachments

• 1561641946842.png
    1561641946842.png
    18 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
and one more thing guys, Sales is everything. Even if this marketing company phases out years from now, I've learned something I will never lose. How to sell. Like Jordan Belfort (check out his sales training by the way) said at the end of the wolf of wall street movie "We live in a place where everything is for sale, all you need to know is how to sell it."

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
If any of you need to ask me any questions, just send me a message and I'll be 100% transparent. I'm gonna be in front of my computer basically all day, so i'm here to help

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
I also want to give back to the community. I remember just how frustrating it was for me a few weeks ago, and all I needed was some guidance which I found in myself. I really want to help others who were in my place succeed because I know what it felt like having a ton of doubt with me all the time.
This really syncs with me. Yes, a 58 year-old has been pondering what you said all day. I definitely want to mentor young people before they get into a rut. My son wants to be a college prof. I say fine, but sent him Unscripted and will help him fund that degenerate lifestyle :p
My daughter age 30 is following her mother by starting down the path of addiction to alcohol. She's 30 and about to lose her husband to that. Hopefully she gets turned around and sees the value of her meds and being sober. I'm working on ideas with her, too

BTW @Telamon25346 I got you covered. I've bought both audiobooks, both in kindle, and sent at least 5 copies of the print version to friends and family. But yeah, you should make good on anything you borrowed when you were poor. Clean up that karma, yo!

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Congrats on your success, however I question your decision to immediately spend $6000 on a marketing course.

If you've never had a job before and this is your first successful venture, I expect that you probably don't have much experience managing money.

You made your first $10,000 and you spent over half of it right away on something that you saw an ad for yesterday, and you could probably learn the same things from a $20 book.

D

Deleted60066

(if anyone is wondering, I outsource the work to an established white label marketing agency here in the US)

I'm curious about this strategy. Aren't you worried about the possibility of clients finding out and going directly to the marketing agency? Won't the marketing agency have to contact the client and ask questions?

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
I'm curious about this strategy. Aren't you worried about the possibility of clients finding out and going directly to the marketing agency? Won't the marketing agency have to contact the client and ask questions?

The company I work with Isn't that popular, took me a while to find them. But they understand my situation perfectly, The customer never interacts with them. they upload feedback to the customer through software I have placed on my website, but all communication between me and the team is done through a slack chat channel.

Plus, the second client has told me "I don't really care how you're getting these leads, I just want to get better customers out of them". Again, they want to understand what work is being done, but once you prove you can cure their cancer, they don't care much for anything else other than getting cured.

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Congrats on your success, however I question your decision to immediately spend $6000 on a marketing course.

If you've never had a job before and this is your first successful venture, I expect that you probably don't have much experience managing money.

You made your first $10,000 and you spent over half of it right away on something that you saw an ad for yesterday, and you could probably learn the same things from a $20 book.

I agree with you, The course was a big purchase, however. In the private Facebook group of agency owners, I was recommended the course thousands of times over. They ran 5 to 6 figure a month marketing companies, and they got tremendous value from it. If they received value, It must not be a traditional "make money online" type of course. Having gone halfway through the course now, I definitely have spent my money wisely. My business has been given a great boost.

Doesn't mean I will continue making huge purchases. As I've said 10% of my income is used for expenses and spending. But I hardly spend, I don't have a slow lane mindset, and my only real expenses at my age are food, nice things, and gas money. Most of it will go into savings that's for sure.

D

Deleted03867

I'm very glad to see another, beautiful example that the sky is the limit.
Great job, my friend!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congratulations.

However I'm a bit on the fence with the methods here. In a nutshell, you've convinced some business owners to pay you $5,500 month to manage their web presense, and included in that management is a $500 ad spend. From there you've outsourced the entire job to a third-party, profiting the difference (which is probably about $4K).

It sounds like you're simply arbitraging a service based on a market inefficiency.

The efficiency you're providing is being a better sales person for an offer (service) where adequate solutions aren't readily apparent. The value skew is from the third-party, you're a liason and a general contractor.

It's some legendary hustle (congrats) but it just doesn't feel right to me. I keep telling myself that it's no different than selling X at $100 hour and contracting it out for $25 hour, netting you $75 per hour, a general contracting model.

Maybe I'm getting too old.

Not sure if I should high five you or raise my eyebrow. I'll have to mull it over. Either way, don't let my undecided opinion marginalized what you've done. It's pretty impressive.

Santiaggo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Feb 2, 2018
Uruguay
Congratulations on your success! And thanks a lot for sharing your story. It really impacted me as I'm also a 17 year old who is interested in marketing, but I've been kinda stuck in a learning cycle while action-faking for the past months... not anymore though.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Good job!

As long as your white label company is actually delivering the promised results I dont see anything wrong with it.

You might want to follow @Andy Black . He's the expert on ads for service businesses here.

Btw, he will probably agree on this. You should get the white label company to provide you with all the data. This way you can get paid to learn and maybe even provide better service in the future than them.

dru-man

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jun 7, 2013
Southeast Asia
Congratulations.

However I'm a bit on the fence with the methods here. In a nutshell, you've convinced some business owners to pay you $5,500 month to manage their web presense, and included in that management is a $500 ad spend. From there you've outsourced the entire job to a third-party, profiting the difference (which is probably about $4K).

It sounds like you're simply arbitraging a service based on a market inefficiency.

The efficiency you're providing is being a better sales person for an offer (service) where adequate solutions aren't readily apparent. The value skew is from the third-party, you're a liason and a general contractor.

It's some legendary hustle (congrats) but it just doesn't feel right to me. I keep telling myself that it's no different than selling X at $100 hour and contracting it out for $25 hour, netting you $75 per hour, a general contracting model.

Maybe I'm getting too old.

Not sure if I should high five you or raise my eyebrow. I'll have to mull it over. Either way, don't let my undecided opinion marginalized what you've done. It's pretty impressive.

Sort of get your aversion MJ - I think it's a common impulse to people doing this kind of businesses online (not so much offline, it seems, maybe just because it's discussed less often?). I know years ago when friends would hear about me hiring Filipino web designers on a full time basis and then bringing in the clients, they acted like I'm some kind of con-man. I was writing the copy for the sites even, but they acted like I was just taking advantage of people on both ends.

On the other hand, I think your feeling that it's not much different than general contracting is more accurate.

Could also compare it to:

Dropshipping
Selling on a commission basis
Flipping real estate
Hiring employees at far lower rates than you make on their hours

Certainly his profit margin is huge (he makes more than the guys doing the work). But again, he's the one getting the clients in the door - provider is happy to have the ongoing work and the clients sound happy to have someone bring them a solution (a lot of companies would die to FINALLY meet someone who can actually deliver results with paid advertising). I talk to so many business owners that have been completely burnt.

Not to mention that, while sales can be tough enough as it is (why it's such a big value add), on top of the prospecting and closing deals, OP does still have his work cut out for him building a brand and business, managing clients through regular back and forth, disappointed expectations, run-of-the-mill assholery, etc, too.

As a copywriter, I've had people hire me on a ghostwriting basis (other copywriters, PR firms, web developers, marketers), and I tell them, hell, I don't care what you charge for my work on the other end as long as you bring the business in the door.

On the other hand, you know who probably has a REAL fastlane business? The guys lining up salesmen all over the Western World to service and on a white label basis...and never deal with the end customers. There's a reason they're doing it that way - they don't want to deal with hunting for, closing, and managing all those clients. And it's damn smart.

Now that's a biz I wouldn't mind being in. Lot of opportunity for scaling with a good system.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sort of get your aversion MJ

Dropshipping
Selling on a commission basis
Flipping real estate
Hiring employees at far lower rates than you make on their hours

That's how I'm trying to look at it, perhaps it's because I know the details behind managing a website with some SEO attentiveness.

It just feels like $5K/mo is a bit much with so little for ad spend. I guess the best analogy is taking in my car to the shop because it's transmission is grinding and skipping. They charge me $5000 for a new gasket when the average retail price for the gasket repair is $500. But because I don't know transmissions (or gaskets) they can charge me that price. When the price is questioned, the mechanic says "You're transmission is fixed, right?" To which I say, YES. Just because the transmission is FIXED (value delivered) doesn't mean the transaction is safe from scrutiny.

Again, I'm happy for him and the impressive feat ... just feels a little dodgy to me.

Wonder what @GuitarManDan thinks?

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
That's how I'm trying to look at it, perhaps it's because I know the details behind managing a website with some SEO attentiveness.

It just feels like $5K/mo is a bit much with so little for ad spend. I guess the best analogy is taking in my car to the shop because it's transmission is grinding and skipping. They charge me $5000 for a new gasket when the average retail price for the gasket repair is $500. But because I don't know transmissions (or gaskets) they can charge me that price. When the price is questioned, the mechanic says "You're transmission is fixed, right?" To which I say, YES. Just because the transmission is FIXED (value delivered) doesn't mean the transaction is safe from scrutiny.

Again, I'm happy for him and the impressive feat ... just feels a little dodgy to me.

Wonder what @GuitarManDan thinks?

This is a tricky one, for those who don't know my story I currently run a business doing web design and most recently monthly SEO services (haven't dealt with PPC and selling that service).

The thought I keep coming back to is if a company is willing to spend $5k per month in your management fees, why not up the ad spend? I really doubt it would make or break the sale if you moved it up from $500 per month in ad spend to maybe $2-3k per month?

You're still getting your usual management fee and the client has more ad spend to get better results. @Telamon25346 what do you think?

In terms of the overall premise, I completely agree with the value added approach (especially for digital services like this). What I'm currently working on with my business is bringing on clients and charging them based on an ROI approach vs. just fixed packages.

Using an SEO example, if you show the business owner that if you get their site on the 1st page for the keywords you're targeting, it will bring in an estimated $100,000 per month more to their bottom line, I think it's completely reasonable to want to charge $10k per month or so.

Curious to see what Telamon thinks about increasing the ad spend, especially if you start going for clients that you're going to be charging a $10k+ per month management fee.

Pat D. Rick

uhhh...42?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jun 11, 2016
I guess I have the same opinion as MJ on that one.
It's not that the price isn't justified because after all it is being paid.

What bugs me is that it will be hard for you to compeed against the guy that will offer him the same service for the same price. But instead of spending 500$ of the 5500$ your competitor could spend 1500$ out of it only for ads and still taking in 4000$ for himself.
It just doen't "feel" like you are acting in your clients best interest.

Nevertheless I congrats you on your progress!

Telamon25346

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
429%
Dec 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
This is a tricky one, for those who don't know my story I currently run a business doing web design and most recently monthly SEO services (haven't dealt with PPC and selling that service).

The thought I keep coming back to is if a company is willing to spend $5k per month in your management fees, why not up the ad spend? I really doubt it would make or break the sale if you moved it up from $500 per month in ad spend to maybe $2-3k per month?

You're still getting your usual management fee and the client has more ad spend to get better results. @Telamon25346 what do you think?

In terms of the overall premise, I completely agree with the value added approach (especially for digital services like this). What I'm currently working on with my business is bringing on clients and charging them based on an ROI approach vs. just fixed packages.

Using an SEO example, if you show the business owner that if you get their site on the 1st page for the keywords you're targeting, it will bring in an estimated $100,000 per month more to their bottom line, I think it's completely reasonable to want to charge $10k per month or so.

Curious to see what Telamon thinks about increasing the ad spend, especially if you start going for clients that you're going to be charging a $10k+ per month management fee.

actually, the way the advertisement budgets work is not the way people usually think. most people think spending more money = making more money, but not during the first month setup stage. what you want to do first is optimize your ad with a contolled budget. starting off with a huge budget would just waste money in my opinion. I have the team target keywords that have low cost per click but are still effective, lfor example, if it were an auto shop I'd target smaller but still popular terms like "queens tire repair" as opposed to "new york oil change" which is very competitive. all of this is tested and figured out in the first month. hence why I cap ad spend on the first month at $1,000 maximum and i remoge that limit after 90 days. in those first 90 days, the team is always monitoring and tweaking. after that, the company can increase ad spend as much as they want.

as for the price, I'd say my flat fee of $5,000 a month is low budget for the companies im aiming at. most people starting out dont have acess to a team that delivers quality results, so they feel comfortable selling their website management or what have you at $500 to $2000 a month, and their clients are smaller companies like individual painters, gyms, etc.

but the larger marketing companies out there have a completely different ball park. Im planning to work with dentists and real estate brokers, and other larger businesses. and from what I've heard. they spend a ton out there. I've studied the way larger marketing companies sell their products, and I feel like im no where near their outrageous systems. Scorpion marketing, a company that specializes in attorneys, has charged $10,000 dollars for a website. I feel comfortable delivering my service at a flat fee knowing I genuinely help and bring results, rather than selling to large chains that are willing to dump cash into services that don't really do as much.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
actually, the way the advertisement budgets work is not the way people usually think. most people think spending more money = making more money, but not during the first month setup stage. what you want to do first is optimize your ad with a contolled budget. starting off with a huge budget would just waste money in my opinion. I have the team target keywords that have low cost per click but are still effective, lfor example, if it were an auto shop I'd target smaller but still popular terms like "queens tire repair" as opposed to "new york oil change" which is very competitive. all of this is tested and figured out in the first month. hence why I cap ad spend on the first month at $1,000 maximum and i remoge that limit after 90 days. in those first 90 days, the team is always monitoring and tweaking. after that, the company can increase ad spend as much as they want.

as for the price, I'd say my flat fee of $5,000 a month is low budget for the companies im aiming at. most people starting out dont have acess to a team that delivers quality results, so they feel comfortable selling their website management or what have you at $500 to $2000 a month, and their clients are smaller companies like individual painters, gyms, etc.

but the larger marketing companies out there have a completely different ball park. Im planning to work with dentists and real estate brokers, and other larger businesses. and from what I've heard. they spend a ton out there. I've studied the way larger marketing companies sell their products, and I feel like im no where near their outrageous systems. Scorpion marketing, a company that specializes in attorneys, has charged $10,000 dollars for a website. I feel comfortable delivering my service at a flat fee knowing I genuinely help and bring results, rather than selling to large chains that are willing to dump cash into services that don't really do as much.

I get that, especially the part about that more money in ad spend doesn't equal more money in revenue. If you're targeting bad keywords or the data is showing it isn't producing a good ROI, more money just means you'll be throwing more away in ad spend.

However, I think that once you get through those initial months of research and really tap into what's working for the client, my question is do you increase the ad spend by a good amount (I saw you mention $1000 as a max)?

The dynamics of it are really interesting, that's really what fascinates me with the monthly recurring side of things for digital marketing services. Going with some smaller businesses like you mentioned an individual painter means that $1k a month is insanely expensive to him, but $5k per month to a small-mid size company puts a lot less pressure (especially for SEO which the results take a while).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.