Hey everyone,
Thought I would introduce myself.
I grew up outside NYC and like most, was fed the "go to college" koolaid and was too dumb and young to think for myself and ask why. I also never really considered the ramifications of "financial aid" (student loans) - hence the title of this thread (~$33k student debt for an "international affairs (politics)" degree). Good thing we never learned about things like debt, loans, interest, etc. in school
During college, I did intern at one of those NGO type organizations and also after college, I interned on a political campaign. With regards to the prior, it was pretty dumb - basically asking people for money (grants) to promote the culture of some extremely obscure country that I didn't give a shit about. With regards to the latter, I realized that politics is a dirty game and that
I worked in a variety of random jobs, never really sticking to anything - SaaS sales, supply chain, real estate sales, teaching English overseas, Microsoft Excel monkey, etc.
All the while, from ~beginning of college to ~end of 2015, I was pretty obsessed with the whole "picking up girls" thing, as I had always been pretty clueless in that area growing up. While I spent a significant amount of time figuring that out, I'm glad I figured it out (obviously I still like girls but I know I have to figure out the "money" part of my life) because I never would have been remotely sane or normal without doing so and because it led me to the whole "making money online" world...
Which of course started with mostly BS stuff like reading 4 Hour Work Week, writing articles for a "revenue-sharing" site (I think the model was they split Adsense revenue with you haha), starting a blog, trying to get into Amazon FBA (but never actually following through), and maybe some other stuff. To my knowledge, all of this led to me making about $50 total (granted I never stuck to anything).
Fast forward to mid-August of this year, I saw some post somewhere about some guy making money on Fiverr and decided to do something similar - freelance online. I set a modest goal of breaking $500/month, which I did last month (~$600). This was honestly with very little effort. Now, I am living in Latin America and burning through savings.
Of course, we can't talk about 2017 without mentioning bitcoin/cryptocurrency - I made some money from that, too (also lost a bit - should've put it all into bitcoin).
In total, I've made about $5,000 in 2017 from non-9-5, Internet-related stuff like cryptocurrency, freelancing, blog (Amazon Affiliate program), etc (might be slightly off because I'm not sure if I'm calculating cryptocurrency profits correctly).
While freelancing, I started to read Unscripted and The Millionaire Fastlane , the latter of which was recommended to me by many people as "the best business book" and so on. I began to realize that it would be in my best interest to have my own business where I am in control and probably get paid more.
I don't consider myself a natural-born hustler by any means and am definitely more of a thinker than a doer. But it's this or nothing.
Anyway, I hope that wasn't too long and I look forward to learning from all of you and hopefully being able to give back in a meaningful way when I make it.
DannyD
Thought I would introduce myself.
I grew up outside NYC and like most, was fed the "go to college" koolaid and was too dumb and young to think for myself and ask why. I also never really considered the ramifications of "financial aid" (student loans) - hence the title of this thread (~$33k student debt for an "international affairs (politics)" degree). Good thing we never learned about things like debt, loans, interest, etc. in school
During college, I did intern at one of those NGO type organizations and also after college, I interned on a political campaign. With regards to the prior, it was pretty dumb - basically asking people for money (grants) to promote the culture of some extremely obscure country that I didn't give a shit about. With regards to the latter, I realized that politics is a dirty game and that
I worked in a variety of random jobs, never really sticking to anything - SaaS sales, supply chain, real estate sales, teaching English overseas, Microsoft Excel monkey, etc.
All the while, from ~beginning of college to ~end of 2015, I was pretty obsessed with the whole "picking up girls" thing, as I had always been pretty clueless in that area growing up. While I spent a significant amount of time figuring that out, I'm glad I figured it out (obviously I still like girls but I know I have to figure out the "money" part of my life) because I never would have been remotely sane or normal without doing so and because it led me to the whole "making money online" world...
Which of course started with mostly BS stuff like reading 4 Hour Work Week, writing articles for a "revenue-sharing" site (I think the model was they split Adsense revenue with you haha), starting a blog, trying to get into Amazon FBA (but never actually following through), and maybe some other stuff. To my knowledge, all of this led to me making about $50 total (granted I never stuck to anything).
Fast forward to mid-August of this year, I saw some post somewhere about some guy making money on Fiverr and decided to do something similar - freelance online. I set a modest goal of breaking $500/month, which I did last month (~$600). This was honestly with very little effort. Now, I am living in Latin America and burning through savings.
Of course, we can't talk about 2017 without mentioning bitcoin/cryptocurrency - I made some money from that, too (also lost a bit - should've put it all into bitcoin).
In total, I've made about $5,000 in 2017 from non-9-5, Internet-related stuff like cryptocurrency, freelancing, blog (Amazon Affiliate program), etc (might be slightly off because I'm not sure if I'm calculating cryptocurrency profits correctly).
While freelancing, I started to read Unscripted and The Millionaire Fastlane , the latter of which was recommended to me by many people as "the best business book" and so on. I began to realize that it would be in my best interest to have my own business where I am in control and probably get paid more.
I don't consider myself a natural-born hustler by any means and am definitely more of a thinker than a doer. But it's this or nothing.
Anyway, I hope that wasn't too long and I look forward to learning from all of you and hopefully being able to give back in a meaningful way when I make it.
DannyD
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
