The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2011 is gunna be huge!

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
A couple months back in early September I lost my car to a blown head gasket, an hour after I was laid off from my job at a high end catering company. I was stranded a half hour from home with just my final paycheck, which was all I had left to my name.
I felt sorry for myself at first but then it sparked something inside me. I knew that finding a another job wasn't going to be easy in this economy (especially with no car) and I also knew that I was facing a lot of struggle, debt, and potentially losing everything. But that wasn't acceptable to me. Because of having no car I found myself staying home with nothing but time, so I started using the internet to learn as much as I possibly could. Days, turned into weeks, and each thing I learned exposed a new way of thinking and even more books, websites, videos, ect.

Long story short, I have spent the past couple months learning as much as possible, networking, developing, and leveraging the few things I have. I currently have 3 projects that I am working on, all of them are Fastlane; and any one of them can be huge...

1. A clothing line.

The brand is North of Hell, South of Heaven (NoHSoH).
What we want is to create a very high class, artistic/urban clothing line. We are contacting many freelance artists, photographers, & illustrators that have urban/contemporary styles for JVs. Each artist we work with will be given the clothing to use as their "canvas". The end result will be unique, intricate and eye catching clothing that not only looks great; but portrays thought and meaning; as well as giving the art life outside of the walls.

Target market is innovators & creators, mainly men and women in the 18-35 range. Anyone who is passionate about fashion, art, music, and film. We want to evolve the revolution of art to a new plateau and expose more people to new ways of thinking. We will offer lower price clothing (basic, with the logo and more simple designs) and the higher class, more expensive stuff (designs by artists) for the people who can afford it.

For retail we want to aim for anything from urban boutiques/stores to art galleries and exhibits. And also, of course, use e-commerce websites and online stores as well

Marketing plans will be all types of Internet marketing, social media, blogs, ezines, ect. And because we want to have aspects of all art, I would like to eventually have short films and sponsor mixtapes and art shows, and take any other opportunities like that. Hopefully we'll be able to make a very real, positive difference for our community and the people in it.
Eventually, with a lot of hard work and time, we will have a team of hand-picked artists that we feature and promote. And finally, open stores that will sell clothing as well as art. After that anything is possible.

2. Clean Green Mouse Traps

A friend of mine, who is also a business partner, has been working on a bio-degradable, eco-friendly, and humane mouse trap. We have tested it and have 100% success rate catching them. We will make different sizes for different animals. We plan to get them manufactured and packaged in China and approach distributors (hardware stores, pet stores, and other retail). People have already been showing interest everyday to make orders solely based on YouTube videos.

3. 3D film

Recently, electronic music (house and dubstep) has blown up and proven to be the future of music. Stereoscopic 3D is the future of film and TV. My partner (the same as above) and I put together a plan to produce a 3D film of the biggest event in electronic music, a two-day music festival in LA. 180,000 people attended in 2010. We contacted the promotions company that does the event and found out that they had the exact same plan as us (to the tee) in early stages. So we are now given the opportunity to work with them in developing and executing the film for 2011.

It is amazing how much more accomplished, productive, and happy I am working towards these things, even though I am still in debt with no job and no car. This book was a huge part of keeping me motivated every day and not giving up. I know that 2011 is going to be a huge year and I can't wait. If anyone has any interest/questions/thoughts/advise on any of the things I'm doing then PLEASE hit me up with a PM.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Great stuff.

Good on you for taking the changes in stride and making the most of things.

I feel the same way about 2011. :banana:

-Russ H.

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
Haha thanks man.
Ya, no regrets, if I was still working a job I would never have the time to get where I am so far. And if I had a car I probably would never stay home enough : p

Everything happens for a reason and even the worst shit possible can provide opportunities to things so much greater.

arohan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 25, 2010
Michigan, USA
Stories like this are really inspiring. Keep us updated on how your projects are going. And you are absolutely right, everything happens for a reason and if you are open minded you will figure out a path forward, just like you did.

Personally, though, 2011 is going to be huge. I know it, I feel it, I see it, I smell it and I breathe it!

G

Guest3722A

if I had a car I probably would never stay home enough : p

And you are absolutely right, everything happens for a reason

You guys are scaring me as I feel the same, exact way! This thread is also a very very tiny sample of a sentiment that I too share. 2011 is going to be a great year!

rgill, I've been there too bro! Rock bottom!!!!

BigEasy25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 4, 2010
New Orleans, LA
Once you the see the bottom you will never want to return. Stay focused and accomplish your goals one by one. Use this time as motivation to never fail. I was in the same position a year ago and things have made a complete 180. I'm by no means where I want to be on my journey to the fastlane but I have indeed made some giant strides. My goal for 2011 is to live free. I have a plan in place and have been working towards it the last half of 2010 and plan to living free for the majority of 2011. Good luck everyone!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Awesome.

I remember how many times I either tried to get a job, or was tempted to get a job in the last year, and for some reason, it just didn't work out. I'm so glad I never got a job last year. Working towards your passion is better, anyways.

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
Wow, these are some really great ideas and I like them. Keep us posted on your progress

Thanks MJ, you have no idea how much that means coming from you. I really appreciate it...and I will make sure that I keep you all updated with all the success!

Best regards

Oceanside

Banned
Dec 8, 2010
I love your entrepreneur spirit rgill!

Just remember that you will undoubtedly face many challenges, deadlines and eta's are generally always behind, and sometimes you will feel like there are waves crashing down on your head everyday.

Also remember, if there were no challenges, everyone else would of already done it.

When you launch and your products begin to sell, it will have all been worth it.

Keep on going!

~Free Your Life, Live Your Dreams~

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Haha thanks man.
Ya, no regrets, if I was still working a job I would never have the time to get where I am so far. And if I had a car I probably would never stay home enough : p

Everything happens for a reason and even the worst shit possible can provide opportunities to things so much greater.

Wow this brings a tear to my eye!

Jobs and Cars are what kill many a dream, thus I had no regrets quitting my job and selling my VR4, for one the job was only gonna make me more miserable and consume my only limited resource(time) while not giving enough of an almost unlimited resource(money) in return. As for the car, a VR4 is nice, but it's not the C-GT in my avatar and no amount of turbo upgrades, suspension and brake work or carbon fiber body panels will ever make it a C-GT which is engineered to perfection out of the box instead of all the "Franken-Cars" you see out there. Much like the handful of Supras I've seen, well built car, but still a Toyota, not far removed from my Corolla(well more like a Camry since it uses the same 2JZ block). The Lexus LF-A, however, is another story ;)

bungeesurfer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho
1. A clothing line.

The brand is North of Hell, South of Heaven (NoHSoH).
What we want is to create a very high class, artistic/urban clothing line. We are contacting many freelance artists, photographers, & illustrators that have urban/contemporary styles for JVs. Each artist we work with will be given the clothing to use as their "canvas". The end result will be unique, intricate and eye catching clothing that not only looks great; but portrays thought and meaning; as well as giving the art life outside of the walls.

Target market is innovators & creators, mainly men and women in the 18-35 range. Anyone who is passionate about fashion, art, music, and film. We want to evolve the revolution of art to a new plateau and expose more people to new ways of thinking. We will offer lower price clothing (basic, with the logo and more simple designs) and the higher class, more expensive stuff (designs by artists) for the people who can afford it.

For retail we want to aim for anything from urban boutiques/stores to art galleries and exhibits. And also, of course, use e-commerce websites and online stores as well

Marketing plans will be all types of Internet marketing, social media, blogs, ezines, ect. . . . Eventually, with a lot of hard work and time, we will have a team of hand-picked artists that we feature and promote. And finally, open stores that will sell clothing as well as art. After that anything is possible.

What sets your brand/clothing apart from every other clothing brand out there? I was told that 1,000 clothing lines/brands are started everyweek and 99.999% of them fail. Just relying on the designs/art of your line is not enough(unless you have millions of dollars to market your brand) - I'm sure everyone of those 1,000 clothing brands that start every week think their designs/logos are better than anyone elses. I own a surf shop in Boise, Idaho and I had 3 different guys come into my surf shop this summer and try to sell me their clothing line. They all gave me basically the same pitch you just delivered here and I didn't feel motivated to carry their line.
I also have a clothing line/brand. But what sets me apart is the fact that none of the ocean surf companies design/build their product for the landlocked surfer. Ocean surf brands are very popular with kids/people who live in Idaho, Arizona, Ohio, Nebraska, Tennessee, etc. And my surf brand is the only surf brand in the world that is designed/built for these people. Another thing that sets my brand apart from ocean surf companies is the fact that ocean surf companies do a great job of giving back to ocean causes - Sea Sheppards, Surf Riders, etc. My surf brand supports causes like American rivers.org, living rivers, Idaho rivers united, etc. So if you own a store/boutique that is more than 50 miles from the ocean(noncoastal), and you stock those ocean surf brands, shouldn't you also carry the surf brand that supports your local community? Why would you wear an ocean surf brand if you don't live anywhere near an ocean? I found a huge hole in a 12 billion dollar a year industry. I suggest that you find "holes" and use your clothing line to fill them. Sorry if it sounds like I am raining on your parade, but the reality is that there are a LOT of people out there with clothing lines that you will need to compete with. What is your advantage? Why should I buy your line?

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
What sets your brand/clothing apart from every other clothing brand out there? What is your advantage? Why should I buy your line?

Don't apologize at all brotha, I appreciate you taking time and giving the thought to write that comment.

There are countless urban clothing lines. And even companies like Upper Playground feature artists to design out some of there stuff, but it is still always the basic shirt design; sticking to center placement and limiting the artist. My clothing line is going to take the creativity and uniqueness of art (paintings, illustrations, and photography) and put it on clothing. I am not just paying these artists for their work, I am hiring them on at co-workers and giving them a percentage of what their designs make. I am hand-picking them and I want to promote as much as I want to make money.

Another huge difference is that I am not just sticking with clothing for this. Fashion, music, film, and art all go hand in hand, the industries are recently starting to blend together and I want to keep that moving forward. I am a film maker and self taught musician and I want to create something that can be an outlet for all types of creativity for me and people like me.

Couple examples of the type of art im talking about...

http://twenty2wo.com/blog-images/christian_ward_02.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lofizJ7zoB8/SFlQGBwuIOI/AAAAAAAACuI/uxd24SMC6WU/s400/joaoRuas3.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_T9n9y1_Lkfs/ScpNg4ALblI/AAAAAAAABAY/KIYKjRQ1BSg/s400/Blossom_big.jpg

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I have to ask...did you get the idea for the mousetrap from constantly hearing that "build a better mouse trap" line about entrepreneurs/inventions?

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
Haha ya that's what sparked it. But a shit ton of hard work and testing has gone into it since then.

The original name was actually "The Better Mouse Trap".
YouTube - The Better Mouse Trap

But we have gone with a much better design and changed the name to Clean Green.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
That's totally awesome! Ready-made press release/news story. "Stranded on the side of the road, rgill50 thought to himself 'they are always saying that I just need to build a better mouse trap, and my path to millions will be paved'. Taking that old axiom literally, rgill50 announced today the first biodegradable, green mouse trap, just x years after that fateful car breakdown, showing that new ideas and inventions are there for the taking, even in the mouse trap industry."

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
Bungeesurfer,

Another huge difference, this won't be right off the bat, but it's exclusivity. People in the art world spend ridiculous amounts of money for an artist because he is of high reputation, talent, and uniqueness. When you buy clothing from my line it will be like buying art from that artist as well. Their signature will be on it and it will be their work.

This is win, win, win, because I get better designs than I ever could have otherwise, they get an opportunity for marketing that they never would have had, and the customer gets not only dope clothing, but art.
The stores that decide to carry us, or the blogs that decide to write about us will have that exclusivity that will be attached to our name.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
How do you survive without a job in this economy? Are you staying with your parents?

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
How do you survive without a job in this economy? Are you staying with your parents?

Yup, I had to move back in with the family. It's easy to live with no rent, no car payments, and no cell phone. "/
I have some money saved up and I'll be heading down to LA in early February 2011 for a new start and more opportunity.

bungeesurfer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho
My clothing line is going to take the creativity and uniqueness of art (paintings, illustrations, and photography) and put it on clothing.

Have you ever heard of the ANP?
"The RVCA Artist Network Program, commonly referred to as the ANP, is an ongoing program which aims to showcase the talent of accomplished as well as unknown artists". Read the "about Us" section on my website at EVENSurf.com - We are also heavily involved in the art and music side of our brand. There are some companies already out there with incredible art -

Graphic artist t-shirts at 8Ball: Banksy and others

Posterbomb Rock Posters and Lowbrow Art Prints - Lowbrow Art, Rock Posters, Concert Posters, Art Prints and Music from Jeral Tidwell, Johnny Ace...... | Store » T-Shirts

We Know What Boys Like: Alex Pardee Presents Night of The Treeple | M.I.S.S.

My point is, just having incredible art and ties to artists does not set you apart from so many of those other 1000 clothing lines that will be started this week.

The stores that decide to carry us, or the blogs that decide to write about us will have that exclusivity that will be attached to our name.

My company was featured in every media market we tried to penetrate last summer. We have an amazing and unique story - Surfing in Idaho, Surfing in Colorado, Surfing in Iowa, etc. How do you plan to get blogs to write about you or stores to carry your brand? Are you a member of T-Shirt Forums ? I have gotten invaluable knowledge and advice from this site.

You live in Sac Town? We have been featured on the Sac Bee website and your local NBC news. Did you see the news stories on surfing in Sacramento? Clay Banks on American river is one of my favorite places to surf. It always turns into a party when we surf there. So many people floating the river pull over, and want to know how it works, and try it.

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
I have done a lot of research on similar brands and I am very familiar with my future competition. In my opinion, they are all still holding back.
For the size of the niche, there are not many that are really doing it well. I believe that we can do it much better and improve on a lot of what the competition is missing. Also, the end goal is to be a full fashion brand, not just tees.

I haven't seen a lot of surfing around here, but we go to Garcia Bend and Paradise Beach all the time for skim boarding. (Delta and American River)

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
Yes, we are doing some test surveying to see what sizes sell most for our target market. We have all the way up to 5x available to us and will print on what ever there is demand for.

Thanks for the suggestion my brotha.

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
For those of you who wanted to be updated on progress...

Have had some meetings all last week in LA for both the film and clothing line. After the holidays some HUGE things are gunna start happening.

When they do, I'll open a separate thread for each project and try to write about each process as it happens. But for now I enjoy some Eggnog & Brandy. Cheers

Hope everyone has a relaxing holiday, cause like i said 2011 is our year.:eusa_clap:

Maundrelle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jan 11, 2011
rgill50,

i'm really impressed with your clothing line idea. i have been having the same type of idea but i was thinking of starting small scale first and seeing where it could go.

since i live in Finland, in northern Europe, our fashion market is tiny compared to the rest of the world. indeed a lot of fashion companies started in the 60's when the textile industry was booming are either already closed down, bought by foreign companies or are really struggling to keep up with the giant multinationals. work is being outsourced to cheaper places and no one buys Finnish made clothes because they're, 1. expensive, and 2. unfashionable for the younger generation. so "generic" clothes are being brought over by the plane-loads from countries like India, Indonesia and Cambodia to be bought in stores in Finland, and people are consuming now more than ever.

i had a similar idea to yours in that i want to start a network of artists, meaning artisans, photographers, dressmakers, designers, stylists, hair and make up artists, maybe even digital artists, and other experts to create an online portfolio hub-type of space, that will be a showcase for our work. i myself am a designer and i've always wanted a community of well-skilled people around me to work with. the only problem is, they cost money, obviously.

the benefit of having a shared network will be that everyone owns their work, and they can use it to make whatever money they want. but the (human) resources are pooled into project-type events, for example, a spring/summer photoshoot. and since i want everyone involved to do their labour out of love, it will truly be top-notch work, which hopefully produces top-notch products. products meaning also services in this case.

i thought about the core values of this network for a long time. why would any Finnish young person be interested in looking at the work of a local artist and probably paying more for their product/service rather than go to a multinational chain to get something cheaper?

-well, to me, the most important thing for me was doing what i love, which is visualisation and design. and i really believe that when people do what they love, you just get superior work.

-the second most important thing was wanting to provide work for my fellow artists. there are a lot of people i know who graduated from art college with no work from their fields, doing something else to earn a living.

-the third value is eco-friendliness. by having a network of local artists and artisans producing locally, you cut down the logistical expenses not only in money but in carbon emissions. also one of the areas i would love to expand to would be eco-friendly, sustainable fabric and coloring method development.

-the fourth is being fashion forward. i want to raise the standard for Finnish fashion. there are some Finnish fashion houses that are somewhat represented in the global fashion market (IvanaHELSINKI, for example), but they're far from what i consider fashion forward or innovative or even something i'd want to wear. you will not see a piece from IvanaHELSINKI on the cover of Vogue, but it might be somewhere in the middle! the plan is to have a network of many designers, so i will not discourage them from expressing their identity, but for my own designs, i'm visualising young, urban and even cyberpunk, post-futuristic garments. something that a young person would be interested in.

so there are the four reasons as to why i am interested in setting up a network of artists to create never before seen eco-friendly urban fashion and showcase it online. these days with Facebook and Twitter, i think the leverage is higher than ever for "word of mouth" marketing.

i hope this wasn't too long and you didn't get bored of reading about someone's experiences from halfway across the world :D

i thought it was interesting that we had somewhat similar ideas. i would love to hear what anyone else thinks as I'm new to this forum.

-Maundrelle

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
Thanks for the kind words man, I appreciate hearing em.

I think there's a lot of substance in your idea. I've had the same type of ideas runnin through my head for awhile, a network of talented people. It is something that would benefit everyone involved and produce some amazing work. Let me know if you act on it and how I can help. Thanks again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.