The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$126,727 in PROFIT So Far This Month | eCommerce

FMJJ

Scaling eCom Brands
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,821%
Dec 26, 2017
Miami Beach, FL
It's the month of August 2020. In this month alone, I made $126,727 in profit so far (before taxes). I'm 21 years old, and I'm honored to say that the content from MJ and this forum has helped me enormously alongside many other valuable sources out there for guidance.

I hope this gives a little bit of inspiration to a lot of aspiring entrepreneurs out there because it wasn't that long ago when I used to be an aspiring entrepreneur myself. Reaching the point I'm at right now was not an easy process to embark on. I had to overcome extremely difficult situations and face my most appalling fears. I'm making this thread with tremendous gratitude in mind for @MJ DeMarco. I remember when I first read the The Millionaire Fastlane a few years ago. I remember how I marked it up and read it over several times. I remember when I first joined the forums and lurked everything. I studied all the GOLD threads. I watched MJ's YouTube videos repetitively. I felt so motivated. I remember how excited it got me to pursue entrepreneurship. Turns out it wasn't an easy pursuit.

As time went by and my motivation faded, I faced some serious mental health complications. I was ridiculed for dropping out of college. I failed at several different business models. I failed at starting brands. I failed to turn a profit over and over again. I was working jobs that were mind numbing and utterly exhausting. I had constant issues with my family. That's a long, terrible story to get into... A few months ago, I suffered going through a devastating breakup with my girlfriend I loved so deeply. This is just a small preview of the adversity you'll face while you pursue the CENTS Entrepreneurial Framework. Everything about entrepreneurship is definitely not all that amazing. You have to focus and stay dedicated despite the stress you may face. However, for me, it was worth embracing the process. I look forward to executing towards my next goals in line to be achieved. I've got a lot in mind for the future. I believe in my vision.

Aside from running a marketing agency, I'm running three eCommerce brands right now. Two of the three brands are massively profitable. The numbers have been rising month by month pretty quickly. This is where the majority of my income is coming from. I've invested in several real estate properties at this point, and obviously I'm developing my portfolio with investments into the market. I'm still working on the third brand to become profitable. I'm managing a lot of different expenses for that brand because it's still relatively new. All expenses considered though, I stated at the beginning of this thread that I'm still in the green.

The hard truth about making your dreams a reality is that you have to put in the effort. You have to believe in yourself. You have to go all out regardless of your circumstances. You have to build yourself mentally and physically. You need to master skills that make you more effective and productive. You have to be creative and innovate. You have to provide VALUE. There's no way you're going to make decent money without figuring out a way to provide great value to your customer. I had to figure that out the hard way. You need to have meaning and purpose in your life. Develop the clarity you need to achieve your most important goals. If it's important enough to you, you'll find a way.

Be courageous.

“All events of wealth are precluded by process, a backstory of trial, risk, hard work, and sacrifice. If you try to skip process, you’ll never experience events.”
- MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Harsha Vardhan

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 7, 2020
INDIA
It's the month of August 2020. In this month alone, I made $126,727 in profit so far (before taxes). I'm 21 years old, and I'm honored to say that the content from MJ and this forum has helped me enormously alongside many other valuable sources out there for guidance.

I hope this gives a little bit of inspiration to a lot of aspiring entrepreneurs out there because it wasn't that long ago when I used to be an aspiring entrepreneur myself. Reaching the point I'm at right now was not an easy process to embark on. I had to overcome extremely difficult situations and face my most appalling fears. I'm making this thread with tremendous gratitude in mind for @MJ DeMarco. I remember when I first read the The Millionaire Fastlane a few years ago. I remember how I marked it up and read it over several times. I remember when I first joined the forums and lurked everything. I studied all the GOLD threads. I watched MJ's YouTube videos repetitively. I felt so motivated. I remember how excited it got me to pursue entrepreneurship. Turns out it wasn't an easy pursuit.

As time went by and my motivation faded, I faced some serious mental health complications. I was ridiculed for dropping out of college. I failed at several different business models. I failed at starting brands. I failed to turn a profit over and over again. I was working jobs that were mind numbing and utterly exhausting. I had constant issues with my family. That's a long, terrible story to get into... A few months ago, I suffered going through a devastating breakup with my girlfriend I loved so deeply. This is just a small preview of the adversity you'll face while you pursue the CENTS Entrepreneurial Framework. Everything about entrepreneurship is definitely not all that amazing. You have to focus and stay dedicated despite the stress you may face. However, for me, it was worth embracing the process. I look forward to executing towards my next goals in line to be achieved. I've got a lot in mind for the future. I believe in my vision.

Aside from running a marketing agency, I'm running three eCommerce brands right now. Two of the three brands are massively profitable. The numbers have been rising month by month pretty quickly. This is where the majority of my income is coming from. I've invested in several real estate properties at this point, and obviously I'm developing my portfolio with investments into the market. I'm still working on the third brand to become profitable. I'm managing a lot of different expenses for that brand because it's still relatively new. All expenses considered though, I stated at the beginning of this thread that I'm still in the green.

The hard truth about making your dreams a reality is that you have to put in the effort. You have to believe in yourself. You have to go all out regardless of your circumstances. You have to build yourself mentally and physically. You need to master skills that make you more effective and productive. You have to be creative and innovate. You have to provide VALUE. There's no way you're going to make decent money without figuring out a way to provide great value to your customer. I had to figure that out the hard way. You need to have meaning and purpose in your life. Develop the clarity you need to achieve your most important goals. If it's important enough to you, you'll find a way.

Be courageous.

“All events of wealth are precluded by process, a backstory of trial, risk, hard work, and sacrifice. If you try to skip process, you’ll never experience events.”
- MJ DeMarco
Great Story brother hope you achieve more in future..
any advice for freelance in web design

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
All that by age 21! Congrats! Sorry about your girlfriend. Honestly, I suggest not having another until you are older than 25. Focus on you and the rewards will be great. This is potentially the only time in your life you won't have to be responsible for other people like a wife or children and you can work all hours.

How did you come up with the e-commerce brands? Did you develop the product?

FMJJ

Scaling eCom Brands
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,821%
Dec 26, 2017
Miami Beach, FL
I started “brand #1” after I saved a lot of money to leverage. I already failed at launching business after business at this point. I always kept in mind the metaphor MJ uses. Failure is the sweat of success. The most successful are soaking wet. I learned from and studied my failures. The most important lessons are in your failures. I did a lot of reflection there. I was in the medical field working a job at a small business. I climbed the little corporate ladder to get paid well. This was not a walk in the park. I had to make this business a lot more money than what I was being paid for my labor. I had to notably outperform my co-workers. I used to be almost minimum wage when I started there. The managerial position I was eventually put in was certainly not guaranteed. I made connections and carried out a meticulous strategy. I befriended people that I didn’t necessarily look up to. I just wanted to be a positive influence on them. I wanted them to help me while I was at this job. I was getting paid a decent amount of money (relatively speaking), but the job was draining my time and energy.

Before this job in the medical field, I started my marketing agency when I was working for a bakery at minimum wage. This place was a terrible place to work, but we don’t have to get into that. I acquired clients by building funnels and running targeted audiences (paid traffic) to them. I also closed some clients directly. I took clients on monthly retainers. When I first started this, it was nothing serious in terms of income. The service that provides the most value to my clients is managing marketing campaigns on major platforms like Facebook and generating leads. As my experience and skills developed for my marketing agency, I closed clients that were paying enough money to enable quitting the job I was working in the medical field.

This is when I urgently started brand #1. I’ve been doing product research since forever because I’ve been trying to launch profitable stores for quite some time. How I do it? I look for a big need. I look for engagement on social media. I verify engagement. Are the likes legit? Are the comments legit? How does the competition market the product effectively? How much revenue do I think they're bringing in? How can I come up with my own angle to present this product with value? Facebook is the best platform to do this IMO, however, I do product research to this day on all major platforms. When I started brand #1, I was really confident about the product I found. It was currently trending, and I knew how I’d be able to present and market it. I knew that I'd be able to make an attractive website. I did it a different way from the competitors, but I did it better. I was creative with my marketing campaigns. I had a lot of experience with this because I ran plenty of profitable campaigns for my clients. I was used to overdelivering. Based on my experience and my due diligence, I decided to take what seemed like a huge risk at that moment. I had a connection who was able to help me with a warehouse, and I invested in inventory to be sent over from a supplier in China. That’s also a long story, but not really relevant to share. I problem solved on a problem by problem basis. I launched the product on Shopify, and the marketing campaigns were profitable overall from the first month. Most notably on Facebook. I’d like to note that I do not use Shopify anymore. My websites were custom made by a web design group. That was fairly expensive, but worth the expense to be running off my own platform rather than Shopify. I’m thinking long term.

I’d like to point out that this might all sound simple, but it wasn’t. The concept of success is quite simple, but things get complicated. Why do you think Unscripted is such a long book? I accredit a lot of my critical decisions to having clarity in what I was doing. I have several journals with pen and paper as well as on the app, Day One. I journal about emotions (yes I’m human and have to manage emotions), insightful ideas, failure, deadlines, etc... I journal about everything.

Right now I'm in a great place mentally. My physical health is great too. I'm grateful for the journey I took on. I'm appreciative for everything that helped get me to this point. I have to say that the "paranoia" feeling hasn't gone away, and I don't think it ever will. It's just a trait of a great entrepreneur. I'm always thinking of how I can improve. I'm always thinking about how things can go wrong. I'm always thinking about risks and how I should structure things. I like to think this way though. Not at all annoying. I embrace an entrepreneurial lifestyle. I find great meaning living the way I do.

Last edited:

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Congrats on your dedication.

Is your brand physical goods, are you dropshiping or making them yourself or is it digital goods?

Your answer would be vague enough not to give away any sensitive data.

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
Great Story brother hope you achieve more in future..
any advice for freelance in web design

I love web design, but the problem with it is that you are trading time for money. The more websites you create, the more time it absorbs. You're actually building nothing. Again, it does not fit MJ's CENT principle. But it a start in the Fastlane journey.

I think you can figure out a way to convert your web design skills into an asset that produces income.

1. Create a blog and sell advertising.
2. Create an online store and scale it into a money tree.
3. Create a web app that provides value divorced from your time.
4. Create a web design agency that other web designers do the work.
5. Create a web design course that teaches people divorced from your time.

However, @FMJJ Great story. It pays to persist. Kudos. More grace for greater exploits. Keep moving forward!

WildFlower

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Aug 21, 2009
Los Angeles Area
I started “brand #1” after I saved a lot of money to leverage. I already failed at launching business after business at this point. I always kept in mind the metaphor MJ uses. Failure is the sweat of success. The most successful are soaking wet. I learned from and studied my failures. The most important lessons are in your failures. I did a lot of reflection there. I was in the medical field working a job at a small business. I climbed the little corporate ladder to get paid well. This was not a walk in the park. I had to make this business a lot more money than what I was being paid for my labor. I had to notably outperform my co-workers. I used to be almost minimum wage when I started there. The managerial position I was eventually put in was certainly not guaranteed. I made connections and carried out a meticulous strategy. I befriended people that I didn’t necessarily look up to. I just wanted to be a positive influence on them. I wanted them to help me while I was at this job. I was getting paid a decent amount of money (relatively speaking), but the job was draining my time and energy.

Before this job in the medical field, I started my marketing agency when I was working for a bakery at minimum wage. This place was a terrible place to work, but we don’t have to get into that. I acquired clients by building funnels and running targeted audiences (paid traffic) to them. I also closed some clients directly. I took clients on monthly retainers. When I first started this, it was nothing serious in terms of income. The service that provides the most value to my clients is managing marketing campaigns on major platforms like Facebook and generating leads. As my experience and skills developed for my marketing agency, I closed clients that were paying enough money to enable quitting the job I was working in the medical field.

This is when I urgently started brand #1. I’ve been doing product research since forever because I’ve been trying to launch profitable stores for quite some time. How I do it? I look for a big need. I look for engagement on social media. I verify engagement. Are the likes legit? Are the comments legit? How does the competition market the product effectively? How much revenue do I think they're bringing in? How can I come up with my own angle to present this product with value? Facebook is the best platform to do this IMO, however, I do product research to this day on all major platforms. When I started brand #1, I was really confident about the product I found. It was currently trending, and I knew how I’d be able to present and market it. I knew that I'd be able to make an attractive website. I did it a different way from the competitors, but I did it better. I was creative with my marketing campaigns. I had a lot of experience with this because I ran plenty of profitable campaigns for my clients. I was used to overdelivering. Based on my experience and my due diligence, I decided to take what seemed like a huge risk at that moment. I had a connection who was able to help me with a warehouse, and I invested in inventory to be sent over from a supplier in China. That’s also a long story, but not really relevant to share. I problem solved on a problem by problem basis. I launched the product on Shopify, and the marketing campaigns were profitable overall from the first month. Most notably on Facebook. I’d like to note that I do not use Shopify anymore. My websites were custom made by a web design group. That was fairly expensive, but worth the expense to be running off my own platform rather than Shopify. I’m thinking long term.

I’d like to point out that this might all sound simple, but it wasn’t. The concept of success is quite simple, but things get complicated. Why do you think Unscripted is such a long book? I accredit a lot of my critical decisions to having clarity in what I was doing. I have several journals with pen and paper as well as on the app, Day One. I journal about emotions (yes I’m human and have to manage emotions), insightful ideas, failure, deadlines, etc... I journal about everything.

Right now I'm in a great place mentally. My physical health is great too. I'm grateful for the journey I took on. I'm appreciative for everything that helped get me to this point. I have to say that the "paranoia" feeling hasn't gone away, and I don't think it ever will. It's just a trait of a great entrepreneur. I'm always thinking of how I can improve. I'm always thinking about how things can go wrong. I'm always thinking about risks and how I should structure things. I like to think this way though. Not at all annoying. I embrace an entrepreneurial lifestyle. I find great meaning living the way I do.
You said Bakery! LOL I hit the ceiling at Vons I was the bakery manager.. union pays way better FYI.. I looked at working in private bakeries and they paid crap! But I hit the ceiling and I was like 25 years old.. as a woman that's an added layer of "challenge" (really discrimination but it's life get over it, right!). I quit and learned coding on my own, worked for an internet company during the big bubble.. got a job at Warner Bros making great money.. with little college. BUT I still realized I was trading time for money.. I loved working on the lot.. I think that's my real calling.. film/content creating.. but anyway. All this by the time I was 30.. you did that by age 21? Holy cow.. when did you start? I also had a son during all this.. then another one when I was 30 .. who is now an adult! I'm free again! LOL j/k

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Damn! Awesome story, MARKED Gold! Thanks for sharing some of the details, please keep it coming!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Thanks for these details, surprised there aren't any more questions about your process.

Not Most People

"If everyone else is doing it, its probably wrong"
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 28, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
Awesome stuff man congrats on all the progress!

Are all of your brands in the same general niche or spread across different industries?

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I'm curious about a few things, as you took the route I am on right now (planning to restart ecom with a REAL, useful product and not just a trend item that everyone else sells for no reason).

Since I'm working in a specific language, I can tell you more about it.
My agency is growing. We haven't even started reaching for prospects because we got leads coming organically and we're working on closing deals including copywriting, website optimization, sales funnels, ads, etc.

We're working on new offerings such as 1-on-1 coaching while offloading the task to field experts, where we get a smaller part of the cut than they do, but we find the leads for them.

We got courses and a new masterclass selling (both low and "mid" ticket offers with upsells) that's bringing in most of the money while we're trying to close bigger deals.

Do you have any courses, books or resources (other and MJ's encyclopedia on how to succeed, which I'm very fond of) you would recommend to someone looking to follow a similar path than you did ?

What web hosting provider would you recommend ? We're hitting peaks of ~1500 visitors per day right now from our ads and the server just cannot keep up.

Because my plan has been just this ever since I gained a slight bit of clarity: Agency, 1 Ecom brand with a unique product, entry into Real Estate, Project XYZ (which will be another business, and another one, and another...).

Agency isn't big enough right now to allow me to leave my job, so it's 7hr/day planning my stuff while working, and 7-8hr/day working on my business.

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Damn good read,

You're making in a month what I'm projected to make in a year with my agency, and it's exciting to see someone young going after it!

Question:

What were your initial investments to get brand #1 up and running, and are you having the products manufactured and fulfilled by a 3pl?

D

Deleted82046

This is when I urgently started brand #1. I’ve been doing product research since forever because I’ve been trying to launch profitable stores for quite some time. How I do it? I look for a big need. I look for engagement on social media. I verify engagement. Are the likes legit? Are the comments legit? How does the competition market the product effectively? How much revenue do I think they're bringing in? How can I come up with my own angle to present this product with value? Facebook is the best platform to do this IMO, however, I do product research to this day on all major platforms.
My websites were custom made by a web design group. That was fairly expensive, but worth the expense to be running off my own platform rather than Shopify. I’m thinking long term.
This is fantastic information, thank you!

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks for these details, surprised there aren't any more questions about your process.

I agree.
There are very few "secret keys to success" in business, but if there were any out there, product/market research would easily be one of those keys, as I can personally attest.

Can you share a little bit more about your process there?

What exactly are you looking for? How do you measure engagement? If it's likes, shares, etc, then what is the threshold for you to decide "go" or "no go"? What tools do you use to measure trends, etc?

For me personally, Amazon is a goldmine for research. There are some great tools out there like Jungle scout that can give estimates of sales, which can be very valuable in gauging demand.

Awesome story!

Flint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Jul 14, 2020
Nicely done @FMJJ, great to read about your progress.

There are very few "secret keys to success" in business, but if there were any out there, product/market research would easily be one of those keys, as I can personally attest.

Can you share a little bit more about your process there?

I'm interested in your answers to market research questions too.

Some needs are greater than others (and reoccurring more often). Do you apply any filter to this? I'm having second thoughts that I'm investing my time and money into an "impulse buying" solution that users don't need more than 1 over a few years and pay around $40 for the premium product.

Also, what are your methods for assessing the revenue competitive products bring in? I use Amazon (monitoring inventory over time), but also Google Ads (for relative search volumes related to brands) and ads history (relative; how long they've been advertising for = paying traffic). Curious about your approach.

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to reading more about where you'll take it from there. I know it's not been an easy path and it took a few years of ups and downs to get here. Keep it flowing.

Panda__

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 18, 2020
New York, NY
Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am curious as well to know more about your process. In the past, I have tried to launch an ecommerce store and could never get past the product research phase. I don't have a background in marketing. Learning FB marketing and product research quickly became all very confusing to me. I've used Jungle Scout before and I couldn't justify the data to make sure I was making the right decision.

How do you analyze the data when making a decision to start "the brand"?

FMJJ

Scaling eCom Brands
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,821%
Dec 26, 2017
Miami Beach, FL
Making money through my marketing agency came down to developing valuable skills and the ability to make sales. I was obsessed, and I’m still obsessed about figuring out my own way to benefit my clients/customers. This involves lots of research and critical thinking. I wrote my own scripts. I practiced talking in an exciting way in front of the mirror with my scripts. I studied a lot of sales material and applied it to my process in closing deals with clients. It’s really important to record the Zoom video calls that I have with my prospects because I can see how my demeanor is, and how I can improve for the next call. Obviously, I had to achieve great results for my clients. I made it very clear to them how I’d go about driving towards the desired outcome if they signed on with my agency. I knew what I was doing because I actually developed the skill to produce great results for my clients. I wasn’t selling something that didn’t work. I actually back up what I sell with excellent work.

Building an efficient team was something I made sure to get right. The people you work closely with determines a strong factor for or against your success. This applies to everything. I brought on several effective freelancers into my agency to assist with specific work done for the services I provide. I made sure to develop relations with those who did good work for me. I took the time to determine if freelancers I worked with had genuine character so that I could recruit them into full time positions within my agency. I was eventually able to hire several awesome freelancers from abroad full time to get the most important work of the agency done. With so much of my agency’s work being outsourced, I was able to focus on scaling.

I make sure to work with the best clients out there. I don’t work with clients that can’t afford my services. I don’t work with clients who run poor quality businesses that aren’t scalable. To drive this point home, I developed rapport with one of my most valuable clients in the eCommerce world, and he was eventually the one to hook me up with an affordable warehouse management solution when I started my first profitable eCom brand. Effective product research is extensive. I took a lot of time to find products that fit my strict criteria. I needed to see thousands of people engaging on major platforms, a consistent trend, room for improvement with the product, a strong desire associated with the product, etc. A great product is a great product. If you find a way to improve something that is already great, and on top of that brand it well, then great results are to follow with the market.

I put in a lot of hours into thinking about, researching, and making plans for how I could brand a given product. I also needed to find a supplier in China that would be competent and willing to meet my standards for the improvements I had in mind. I had one of my employees make multiple renders for the possible products to be developed. I contacted suppliers everywhere to find an optimal deal to make an investment on. I didn't bother interacting further with anyone communicating poorly. I qualified and had discussions with the best quality suppliers available. Networking/negotiation skills come in handy. If you want the best deals, you need to be able to express what you’re doing and how it can be beneficial for everyone involved. You have to be confident in having a win-win situation.

In the first month of brand #1, the large expenses were for the USA warehouse system, inventory, ad spend on all major platforms, *outsourcing customer service, and *influencer promos.

*Customer service works off a script I developed myself. And if there were any really upset customers, I used to have my team forward the tickets to me to deal with. Many times there’s really insightful feedback to gain from really upset customers.

*I paid influencers with decent followings to do Instagram posts featuring the product so that the brand would have credibility.

Finding the best deals came down to negotiation with a ton of different sources for each of these expenses. To get the best deals, I had to present the brand launch to be very compelling to be involved with. I’m a great salesperson because I know how to create great opportunities and drive great results. Getting involved with this brand was an incredible investment. I saw that back when I was in the process of starting the brand, and I’ve made it a reality.

I broke even and started making profit two weeks into the second month.

I started all three of my brands with a strong focus on a singular product for each brand. Upsells are available so that each store has a decent selection. Retargeting (via SMS, FB Messenger, and email systems) alongside upsells accounted for a lot of profit. At first, the upsells were dropshipped from the US.

Chibbs

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 9, 2020
USA
Great inspiration to me personally as I am beginning my first ecommerce brand. Thank you for sharing.

aliosa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 29, 2020
Lithuania

Be courageous.

- MJ DeMarco
Don't know your name man, but keep going and update about your work here, very inspiring information, thank you!

Mike Hart

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 15, 2020
Making money through my marketing agency came down to developing valuable skills and the ability to make sales. I was obsessed, and I’m still obsessed about figuring out my own way to benefit my clients/customers. This involves lots of research and critical thinking. I wrote my own scripts. I practiced talking in an exciting way in front of the mirror with my scripts. I studied a lot of sales material and applied it to my process in closing deals with clients. It’s really important to record the Zoom video calls that I have with my prospects because I can see how my demeanor is, and how I can improve for the next call. Obviously, I had to achieve great results for my clients. I made it very clear to them how I’d go about driving towards the desired outcome if they signed on with my agency. I knew what I was doing because I actually developed the skill to produce great results for my clients. I wasn’t selling something that didn’t work. I actually back up what I sell with excellent work.

Building an efficient team was something I made sure to get right. The people you work closely with determines a strong factor for or against your success. This applies to everything. I brought on several effective freelancers into my agency to assist with specific work done for the services I provide. I made sure to develop relations with those who did good work for me. I took the time to determine if freelancers I worked with had genuine character so that I could recruit them into full time positions within my agency. I was eventually able to hire several awesome freelancers from abroad full time to get the most important work of the agency done. With so much of my agency’s work being outsourced, I was able to focus on scaling.

I make sure to work with the best clients out there. I don’t work with clients that can’t afford my services. I don’t work with clients who run poor quality businesses that aren’t scalable. To drive this point home, I developed rapport with one of my most valuable clients in the eCommerce world, and he was eventually the one to hook me up with an affordable warehouse management solution when I started my first profitable eCom brand. Effective product research is extensive. I took a lot of time to find products that fit my strict criteria. I needed to see thousands of people engaging on major platforms, a consistent trend, room for improvement with the product, a strong desire associated with the product, etc. A great product is a great product. If you find a way to improve something that is already great, and on top of that brand it well, then great results are to follow with the market.

I put in a lot of hours into thinking about, researching, and making plans for how I could brand a given product. I also needed to find a supplier in China that would be competent and willing to meet my standards for the improvements I had in mind. I had one of my employees make multiple renders for the possible products to be developed. I contacted suppliers everywhere to find an optimal deal to make an investment on. I didn't bother interacting further with anyone communicating poorly. I qualified and had discussions with the best quality suppliers available. Networking/negotiation skills come in handy. If you want the best deals, you need to be able to express what you’re doing and how it can be beneficial for everyone involved. You have to be confident in having a win-win situation.

In the first month of brand #1, the large expenses were for the USA warehouse system, inventory, ad spend on all major platforms, *outsourcing customer service, and *influencer promos.

*Customer service works off a script I developed myself. And if there were any really upset customers, I used to have my team forward the tickets to me to deal with. Many times there’s really insightful feedback to gain from really upset customers.

*I paid influencers with decent followings to do Instagram posts featuring the product so that the brand would have credibility.

Finding the best deals came down to negotiation with a ton of different sources for each of these expenses. To get the best deals, I had to present the brand launch to be very compelling to be involved with. I’m a great salesperson because I know how to create great opportunities and drive great results. Getting involved with this brand was an incredible investment. I saw that back when I was in the process of starting the brand, and I’ve made it a reality.

I broke even and started making profit two weeks into the second month.

I started all three of my brands with a strong focus on a singular product for each brand. Upsells are available so that each store has a decent selection. Retargeting (via SMS, FB Messenger, and email systems) alongside upsells accounted for a lot of profit. At first, the upsells were dropshipped from the US.

Great post, man. Respect the dedication.

Just wondering - any resource recommendations other than browsing GOLD posts and MJ's youtube videos / books? Perhaps some resources on Upselling and Retargeting?

Also curious - how much type do you allocate for "learning" and how much for "work". 20/80, something like that?

Cheers

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
Wow, congrats! I just read this, what a long and tough process, the thing that amazes me the most is that you're 21... With that process, I'd expect you were at least 30:rofl:

And when did you start focusing on new brands? Once brand #1 got to X amount per month or quite early at the beginning or maybe when you delegated almost everything?

Thanks for your time and again, congratulations.

Last edited:

Aadil_Sarguru

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 26, 2020
India

Be courageous.

- MJ DeMarco
Awesome post, thanks for sharing your story :)

AbhiRaj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Feb 23, 2019

Be courageous.

- MJ DeMarco
Great and Inspiring story! Congratulation man!

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Congrats, i have no questions so keep it up! And keep us posted on new things. i bet that would be interesting read.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Inspiring story! My goals were too low and although I bought my first house age 21, things went downhill after that. Luckily I don't have a mortgage (or the awful boyfriend) and the property is almost sold so I can get back to the fastlane.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, you'll be happier long term by focusing on yourself and you're clearly killing it! I can't wait to hear more about your e-commerce stores and experience

krich1512

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Aug 12, 2020
St Lucia

Be courageous.

- MJ DeMarco
Good shit bruh

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!