• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    How to Get Rich by Felix Denis

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: How to Get Rich, Felix Denis (Review | Discuss)

NOTABLE! 100 Unsexy Business Ideas: Name as many as you can!

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by JohnnyAppleseed, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,515
    This is what Rocket Internet does and they're a multi-billion dollar company. Definitely potential in this.

In Southeast Asia there is Grab, which is a Singapore based company that copied Uber's business model. *They recently purchased Uber's Southeast Asia division. (*correction)

Vietnam has Highlands Coffee, which was started by a Vietnamese-American guy that saw how successful Starbucks was in the US and decided to do a similar concept in Vietnam.

Lots of potential with business models like this. Especially going from US --> Southeast Asia or other developing countries. Southeast Asia is developing the fastest though.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    ericaung, desslow, vshetty.vs and 5 others like this.
  2. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,732
    Wait, not the other way around?

Uber is selling its Southeast Asia business to competitor Grab

Isn't it supposed to be Grab buying Uber's ASEAN side?

SquatchMan and Magneto C like this.
  3. Magneto C

Magneto C UNSCRIPTED Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,124
    Thanks for starting this thread @JohnnyAppleseed I always wanted to find out more about dirty jobs but had no idea how. Never knew I could just start a thread!

Yes this is a great way to get ideas. After my recent trip to the US I got many business ideas and I'm currently pursuing one of them. The best part of this method is the business model is already proven.

However, execution is still the key. Can you convince Taco Bell to let you sell their franchise in Australia? Can you get any local business to join the franchise?

4. minivanman

minivanman Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,410
    They probably stop by an apartment complex and dump the poop.

It's only $40 an hour if you get 4 houses on the same street and in order to average $40 an hour for a whole work day you would need 32 houses all in a row basically. I see they have now added dog walking on to their poop removal. While it might be a great thing for the franchise, I don't think it makes a very good profit for the franchise owner. And, they have cornered their selves in by the company name.

Jane: I'm looking for someone to walk my dog, do you know of anyone?

Jim: I use poop911 to walk my dog.

Jane: Uuummmm, no thanks.

Hey, if it's working for the owner, more power to him/her! lol

5. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $12,410
    I always look at other countries for businesses or to see how they run a certain type of business. For example, here in the US there aren't really any franchises for residential mowing. But in Australia there is or used to be Jim's. He has his picture on all the trucks as I recall. One stand alone business I do find really odd is that in the UK they have stove cleaning businesses.

6. JohnnyAppleseed

JohnnyAppleseed Goyim Gone Wild Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,107
    I have absolutely no idea. If Australia has McDonald's, KFC, and Burger King than maybe it would work as long as you can find the market for it. I guess it depends on whether or not Australians like spicy food.

Mexican food in general (although Taco Bell is mexican physically but is really just american fast food) is popular in North America but it doesn't seem very popular anywhere else. So my logic was that maybe someone could bring Mexican restaurants, microwave burritos, the Taco Bell franchise, guacamole, and other types of Mexican food products somewhere else where it's uncommon in an attempt to start normalizing it.

7. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,474
    Apartment? I never would have thought of that. Brilliant!

As for the money, in your next thread you mention lawn mowing. Let's look at this. I would guess it would take close to an hour to mow a lawn. I don't think they could charge $100, but let's say they did.

That's a LOT of work for $100. Not to mention hauling the machinery around and paying for the gas.

Now - poop scoop. They hop out, scoop, and they're done. 10 minutes if they're slow - and down the road they go. 5 minutes to get to the next stop.

They should be able to do four of those quite easily in an hour, versus one lawn mowing.

I'll take the scooping job any day over the mowing job. And I think my mowing fee is greatly exaggerated. I don't think they would make anything close to $100.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I love your analysis, and am trying to guess your take on all of this... ?

8. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $12,410
    Let's take 10 regular blocks of a neighborhood. How many lawns do you think get mowed by a company on those 10 blocks? How many do you think hire pooper scoopers? Way easier to sell mowing than pooper scooping, although for the person who is not a sales person it might be easier to 'sell' pooper scooping if they don't know how to beat the competition in something like the mowing business. There is probably very little competition in scooping so they don't have to compete. But I don't think there is any way you can make $40 an hour in pooper scooping for 8 hours every day..... but I could be wrong, I've never tried. As for mowing or pooper scooping, neither is my line for doing the physical work itself so that part is not in my line of thinking. But let's say I had the choice... I'll mow. I'm not a popper scooper. One reason we have no animals.

Over-all I think I could sell 20x more mowing jobs than pooper scooping jobs.

Now my question is.... if a person wanted to go in to the pooper scooping business, why on earth would they buy in to a franchise? lmao THAT is the crazy part. My thinking is the same for any service business though. And I think that for a few reasons.... first of all, didn't they want to be in business for their self? Being part of a franchise means you don't get to make the rules which means you STILL have a boss! If I want to charge $14.95 to scoop a yard I wouldn't want someone to tell me I have to charge only $9.95.

So what is your thinking on this Denver? :)

9. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,134
    Captain Obvious says:

This thread collectively shows that basically anything you can successfully apply CENTS to can be made to succeed.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  10. NuclearPuma

NuclearPuma Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,033
  11. MakeMoreMoves

MakeMoreMoves Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,658
    It was my perception that good customer service was default because I personally didn't think it was that hard to provide. I also had the perception that anyone that went into business knew that customers are the most important part of the business. So the thought that if anyone treated customers like crap, they wouldn't have a business for very long.

Still hesitant to go into these types of businesses because it seems like your success is dependent on competitors just sucking. What happens if your got fastlaner in the local area? ;)

Never thought of the GPS idea. I was worried at first that employees would take side gigs while on the go. Using business equipment and then telling the customer that it costs $100 and pocketing it for themselves. Under the table work using business equipment.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  12. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,474
    Well, of course. Why didn't I see that? You are absolutely right.

I just don't know WHY I don't think **like** that. My brain cells have been dying, I guess, and not replenishing!

Do you know how hard it is for me to get the people I know to answer something intelligently? Almost impossible. They always cop out with a I don't know - for whatever reason is the flavor of the day.

I'm turning gears in my brain that have not been used in a long time. Even if it's something trivial, like this, it still is moving them old rusty parts that haven't been used enough.

Great answer. Even BETTER logic to back it up. It's not the answer that counts - it's HOW you think that counts, and I missed this one by a mile ~

Late Bloomer likes this.
  13. Oztrepreneur

Oztrepreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,940
    Lots of great base businesses. How do you assess whether the need is not being met well enough that you could possibly compete? These seem like the sorts of businesses you have to go all in or nothing and not something you could run on the 'side' until it grows legs.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  14. Duane

Duane Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,060
    Your success is dependent on yourself. That's how every business is. How are you going to provide a better product/service than your competitors. It's like that not only in the service industry, but also online.

If you have another fastlaner in the local area, it's all on who executes better. Just like if you have a fastlaner competing against you on amazon in the same category. Who delivers more value to the customer? That doesn't mean who provides the lowest dollar price, but instead the best cost for the dollars spent.

This is no joke. I see a lot of employees in my industry ripping off their owners by using their equipment and supplies to do side jobs for themselves. Or trying to charge customers for additional work while they're at properties. But that additional work and the additional time is very easily trackable.

Keeping a good level of communication with your customer is key and explaining the billing process up front helps. Take out ways where employees can rip you off out of the equation, no undocumented money. You only accept checks in the mail or credit cards made out to (enter company name). Quotes and approvals are always needed before any work is performed. Never pay a technician on the site in cash for any work as they are not the billing department.

If you keep up with your inventory, then you'll see how much you're spending and can relate it to a dollar amount that that should equate to. Your inventory will always be slightly off, but if it's way off, then you know you have a problem and can sniff out the problem and fix it. Giving managers bonuses for maintaining good inventory is a good incentive to keep them on their A-game and keeping employees in check.

You will never be able to weed everything out though and employees will still find ways to di** you when given a chance, but things catch up and you catch on pretty quickly to those things.

15. NuclearPuma

NuclearPuma Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,033
    The hardest part of these businesses in my ignorant opinion is finding good employees. Ones that you can trust to do a proper job, treat the customers well and be reliable.

A friend of mine had a pretty great idea and made a small attempt to help serve the property management industry because the need is there for good service as most service really sucks. He even had well networked investors wanting to invest in it for equity or be a customer.

BUT the problem was finding good workers that could execute the job proves to be a lot harder than he expected. They were essential to the business model. I gave some advice on trying to niche down a little bit first and start smaller but he wouldn't and never REALLY went all in on it and there was another flaw to the model that wasn't yet solved.

But damn there is a ton of interest from wealthy property owners for good blue collar services he had them wanting to buy equity in the business and be a customer.

One of those things where the scripted life kept him from going all in since he is well paid in the corporate world.

16. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $12,410
    MakeMoreMoves~ Feel free to google lawn care in the Garland/Plano/Allen/McKinney Texas area. If you want to see competition, I think there is more true competition in that area than any other. The owner of Citi Turf is known as the Lawn Care Millionaire. He started with nothing and now is known nation wide for his marketing and business ideas. But.... he has some fierce competition. There are guys in his area that stepped it up and very easily compete. They probably use his own software to compete with him. They all seem to be doing VERY well and growing so I don't think it matters about another fastlaner gets in to said business in your area. But, I can guarantee you that 95% of the people within 100 miles of you have no clue how to run real lawn care business or cleaning business or most service businesses. Don't forget about that window cleaning I mentioned. I called several people trying to find a window cleaner, I finally had to hire my sales lady and her boyfriend to come and clean them.

NuclearPuma~ Yes, employees can be a pain and they are a big reason I got out of the cleaning business but if I had really wanted to stay in the business, I could have hired workers that actually wanted to do good work. It's all about the hiring process. Have about 3-4 interviews..... if the person gets pissed off that you make him/her keep coming in for an interview, you know they aren't a good fit. That right there weeds a lot of people out. Take them out to lunch, let them get comfortable with you and you can see how they really act. That's what we do with the people that do other types of work in a few of the businesses that I am a part of. So all-in-all it's the employer that needs to do a better job at hiring but even at that, you can't always tell who will be bad all the time.

17. Real Deal Denver

Rep Bank:
    $8,474
    I guess I've got too much rhino DNA in my system.

I would be in the group that would throw in the towel if I didn't get results after the second interview.

I think it's a mutual respect thing. Don't waste my time and/or expect me to be beholden to you, as my boss or supervisor. If I'm doing my job properly, I'm making the company money - and I certainly expect, no demand, respect for that. Share the wealth and make me happy to be there, and I will exceed your expectations across the board. Treat me badly and you will find out exactly how employees can run with your idea and give you massive headaches, as I will become your competition in short order. I might even take your key performers with me, for good measure.

I have never done that, but I know several people that have. And they are thriving.

18. Duane

Duane Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,060
    There are some innovative solutions to the employee problem if you are good at marketing and can generate a large demand.

Instead of hiring employees to work for you, hire highly reputable companies and give them so much work they will give you discounts... After the hurricane in Florida last year, I had so much work that my crew couldn't handle it and I wasn't able to hire more employees and train them. So I hired 2 solid companies to fill some orders for me. I handled the clients, and just gave them addresses for the jobs and they did the work. I profited 10-20% on each job. This strategy works if you have volume, but you don't have to stress managing employees because you're hiring an established company that you already see how they perform based on their reviews.

Big players in the fencing industry do this. One of the biggest fencing companies in my area is called fence outlet.

What they do is buy large amounts of materials from their supplier, then sell it to customers at retail price along with charging labor to install the fence. Instead of hiring employees as installers, they hire 1099 contractors and pay them per foot of fence they put in. These guys start their own companies and feel like they own their own company, and the quality of work they give is so much higher than if fence outlet hired a bunch of people for $12/hr.

Fence outlet makes money selling the fence material, and make a percentage of the installation cost, and these installers make $8-$10k/month. They will never have an opportunity to make money like that and be their own boss anywhere else, so they take large amounts of pride in their work and it yields very little on the management side for fence outlet.

This is what management companies do for real estate owners as well when homes need repairs done. They handle repairs and make small percentages on the work completed.

So if I have 200 clients that I'm cutting their grass, why don't I also fix their irrigation and electrical issues as well? Sub contract the work out and make a little off of it. Since you're established with them and doing a great job with their lawn, they will choose you over any other company to do the work. Your advertising efforts are still focused entirely around the one service you provide, but if the problems present themselves, you can solve it for them and make a little money off of it.

I implement this strategy in many different areas. I have every kind of service business on my Rolodex you can think of. I don't do electrical, but if a current customer has an electrical issue, or if we're doing a job that requires a licensed electrician to come in and do some work, then I tell them I can solve this issue for them.

I call up my guy, have him go out and fix the issue, and I handle all client relationships and make 10%+ on the job. This adds up overtime; I had one job that was a foundational issue covered by insurance, came out to be close to $20,000, and I made a little under $2k off of the job just making some phone calls and emails. No employee management required.

Just make sure you add the company on as a sub contractor and have them sign a non-compete and have them send you copies of their licenses and insurances just so you're in the clear on them doing work for you.

19. minivanman

Rep Bank:
    $12,410
    Denver~ Personally, I think everyone should interview like this. It's not a time waster, it's protection for my company. As for pay, I found out that in the low pay brackets, when people ask that as one of the very first things.... don't hire them. There are very people in the low pay brackets that think like you. Or maybe not very few but the percentage is very low. When I used to work for $4.15 an hour I worked my a$$ off just like it was my own business.... fast forward to today.... pay the majority of the people $50 an hour and they still don't care.

Duane~ Yeah, I've done that before. It didn't always go that smooth though. But if his friend has so much opportunity with backers it is a very good option for him. After the summer is over I'd have no problem backing something like this if I liked the idea. I might actually look for something like this again. Great post! :)

20. Duane

Rep Bank:
    $6,060
    Yeah sometimes you get hiccups and you'll transition to another company, but it's a lot less hiccups over employees and you don't have to have the licenses and knowledge to do the work. That company has dedicated their life to mastering that craft.

21. MakeMoreMoves

MakeMoreMoves Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,658
    I am in the online space and have created my own products and it is much easier to create something unique. There are more vairables you can play with. Not only with product features either. Although the hardest thing i find about this route is product viability. With services the demand is there, but at the end of the day it is just cutting grass or window cleaning. Etc.

Ok thanks for the tips. I am solely looking for extra cash now, but got too much on my hands.

22. Vinayalchemy

Vinayalchemy New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $7
    I will be interested to build as a joint venture . Let me know if you like to discuss.

Thanks

23. Duane

Rep Bank:
    $6,060
    That is why nobody wants to do it. It's not sexy, it's "vanilla".

Everybody is running online right now, but these unsexy service businesses aren't going anywhere and are ripe full of potential, producing tons of millionaires every year because there's massive demand for it.

A cool service business I seen today is mobile auto repair. This company in my area has a repair shop where they run their operation out of, but they also have a few vans that go around and does on-site auto repairs. Small issues that leave you on the side of the road; hose leaks, dead batteries, flat tires, etc. You call them up if you can't get to their shop, give your vehicle info and say what the issue is, then they come out and fix it. The call out charge is cheaper than towing your vehicle to the mechanic.

A pretty innovative solution that will make a lot of peoples lives easier, tons of auto repairs don't require the vehicle to be in the shop to fix it.

24. KLaw

KLaw Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,067
    How is this not true for any business, not just the service industry? Treat them right, pay them well, engage them, respect them. Hire slow. Fire fast.

25. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $374,699
    Admin Post
    True, that's why a "human resource system" is the hardest to execute. That is essentially what all these businesses are if we are to get away from "time for money" and hit the Commandment of Time.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.