The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

10% is yours to keep

bukavu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 7, 2012
I just read a book where it said 10% is yours to keep.

I want to do that by putting 10% of my income into a UK ISA Account.

What represent the 10%? For those who read "the richest man in Babylon".

I make 100$ a month and have to pay 50$ to someone. I remain with 50$.
1. Should I keep aside 10$ or 5$ for myself?
2. And when is it fair to reinvest the money saved?

Thanks for your answer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Is something stopping you from saving $50 to save in order to invest? I'm assuming you aren't living off $50 a month.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The idea of that kind of savings plan is to pay yourself first. So it would be $10 if that's the plan you are going with.

bukavu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 7, 2012
The idea of that kind of savings plan is to pay yourself first. So it would be $10 if that's the plan you are going with.

Exactly what I was thinking, thank you for your answer Sir.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I want to do that by putting 10% of my income into a UK ISA Account.

OMG! Why are you even in this forum? Invest it into your education, put those $10 into a book each month.

bukavu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 7, 2012
Is something stopping you from saving $50 to save in order to invest? I'm assuming you aren't living off $50 a month.
OMG! Why are you even in this forum? Invest it into your education, put those $10 into a book each month.

Maybe you should understand that 100$, 50$ is to simplify the math (for me).
Did you want me to put the exact amount I get?

In UK a person who has no job and a place to sleep get minimum 1200$ a month in benefits, so...
Please understand my 100$ amount is just an example.
If you read me well I got this saving tactic from a book I bought/read.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Maybe you should understand that 100$, 50$ is to simplify the math (for me).
Did you want me to put the exact amount I get?

In UK a person who has no job and a place to sleep get minimum 1200$ a month in benefits, so...
Please understand my 100$ amount is just an example.
If you read me well I got this saving tactic from a book I bought/read.
Makes more sense now. I got the first part as from a book, the rest sounded like how much you actually make.

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong
Nevertheless, working a lousy job and saving 10% until you retire (just barely) comfortably at 65 is exactly what TMF speaks out against. You need to save some money, sure, but don't think of this as a long term solution to anything.

bukavu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 7, 2012
Nevertheless, working a lousy job and saving 10% until you retire (just barely) comfortably at 65 is exactly what TMF speaks out against. YOu need to save some money, sure, but don't think of this as a long term solution to anything.

This is very true, and I'm working on it.
I want the 10% saved to be invested in one year and give me a higher return so that I can be a millionaire in 2 years and 5 months now that I have discovered all the possibilities and opportunities on my way.

I will be able to retire in 12 years from now and work for fun, that won't be a problem as I'm already getting an income from something I consider fun to do.

Thank you for the reminder

ArthurDayne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 22, 2014
Hong Kong
Sorry - 10% of your income will add up to $1 million in 2 years and 5 months, meaning you save roughly $350,000 a month?

You need to give us a greater idea of what you want to achieve. "I want to make money" isn't an investment objective, you have to think about risk.

If you make that much, why not go frugal for a few months and retire a year ahead of time?

bukavu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Oct 7, 2012
Sorry - 10% of your income will add up to $1 million in 2 years and 5 months, meaning you save roughly $350,000 a month?

You need to give us a greater idea of what you want to achieve. "I want to make money" isn't an investment objective, you have to think about risk.

If you make that much, why not go frugal for a few months and retire a year ahead of time?

It's not what I keep which will get me there, it's what I do with what I keep which will do.
I already have something I will do with the saved money to get there plus I have another business making extra income without much time from me.
One eg. is a commercial property in my home Country that I plan to buy off someone in need of cash which can be sold 5 times its price, they own/share it with my partner, so it won't be sold before...

I'm also into media, digital royalties.

I want to save the 10% to be re-invested in a year (or so) to get me to the level I want in 2yr 5mhts, I would love to say it's not about making money as I'm motivated more by changing my life, my future, not struggle in old age and leave something to the children and the community when I'm gone but all that go through sound financial muscles.

One thing is for sure, it's not easy but I will do it, I wish I knew what I know now (and knew I have much space to learn anything) I was going to be... there already.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I want to save the 10% to be re-invested in a year (or so) to get me to the level I want in 2yr 5mhts

No No No No NO! Read the book again maybe?

What are you saving for? A good Idea? Raise capital, borrow anything to get it made. 2.5yrs is a long way away

Entrepreneurs wont understand your working and saving mentality, just doesnt compute.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Just tell everyone you are 'paying yourself first' ..... which is good. Then start a progress thread on a fastlane venture...... use 1/2 of your 'pay yourself first' money (and money from others as mentioned above) to get started....... why wait?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.