The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Music/Rap - As a fast lane business

Idea threads

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024
Hey guys I wasn't finding threads specifically on this, just a few threads talking about enjoying music.

I am a rapper, I've been rapping for about 4 years, I am pretty good, problem is I'm dead broke. I'm 23 and live with my mom and family and have no musical equipment except an AKAI MIDI.
I read "Millionaire Fast Lane" and MJ DeMarco said renting was his top recommendation for the fast lane, he even mentioned music as a form of renting.

In the book he also went over how friends and family won't believe in your dreams and they'll say things like "have a back up plan" or "everyone is doing that" or "it's too competitive" etc.

There is actually quite the barrier of entry for music or rap (which is what I am sort of struggling with now).

All my friends listen to rap and they think I'm dope, they tell me I am better than all these current rappers - and they have really only heard me freestyle.

I've listened and studied people who have 50 million followers on Spotify and they aren't nearly as technical or advanced than me (despite the fact they've been rapping longer).

All my friends think I am great, and I know I am really good but they all think I should have a back up plan, I talked to one friend on the phone today and he basically went on this whole rant about how bad the rap game is and how it's full of sharks and you can never trust anyone, and these trash rappers are blowing when all these lyrical geniuses are being left in the dust.

I live with my mom, she controls my finances as of right now. I am not sure how I'd convince her to let me spend $100-200 on studio time, or $100-300 to buy beats.

People around me are telling me it's all luck and I should stick to the Script. But I know I am dope, I practice religiously, and have been listening to rap my whole life.

I have an app called Bandlab that will let me record myself and make songs. Only problems are I would be recording off earbud mic, I would have to post the songs to YouTube or Sound Cloud (since I didn't buy the beat) and the quality in general would be a$$ since I don't know how to mix and master. Despite this I could do my best and upload the best I got, and hope to get a loyal following.
I plan to learn production but I don't have the money for the software. Either way I have to record in my car on my earbud mic or I have to fork out $100-200 per recording session. Alternatively I could move out and get the equipment and record that way, but I will likely get a noise complaint considering my preferred flow is very loud and aggressive. Paying for studio time is probably best

I was also thinking about doing short YouTube lectures going into how to rap (there's a couple channels like this). And market myself that way.
I am kind of stumped on way to market myself without money except the old fashion - demo/mixtape route.

The upside is, it cost me nothing except time and effort to get better at rapping. But recording releasing and marketing on a professional level costs a bit.

Here's an example of a song I can make with Bandlab and my phone: Payday by Güero Tonka

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
Since you want to speak about rap/music in business terms lets do it and commit all the way.

The market speaks. Money speaks. Plays speak. Take this as far as you need to.

If sophistication of rhymes (technicalness/advanceness as you put) was solving the "problem" (i.e. scratching the itch of what people want to hear) it would have demand. Per your claims it does not so you (or rappers who have tried the approach and "got left in the dust" as you put it) are solving a problem therefore that market doesn't have.

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024
Since you want to speak about rap/music in business terms lets do it and commit all the way.

The market speaks. Money speaks. Plays speak. Take this as far as you need to.

If sophistication of rhymes (technicalness/advanceness as you put) was solving the "problem" (i.e. scratching the itch of what people want to hear) it would have demand. Per your claims it does not so you (or rappers who have tried the approach and "got left in the dust" as you put it) are solving a problem therefore that market doesn't have.
There's still a market for lyrical or technical rap, there are several rappers with 30M-50M listeners.
Eminem has 70M monthly listeners and he is a juggernaut of technical rap.

But yeah, I will be sure to incorporate talking more shit or flex - I.e females, money, etc.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I'm not a rapper or famous musician however over the many years I've observed a few things:
  • It doesn't matter that much how good you actually are. I once heard from a music professor that he knew a concert pianist but she struggled to get concerts and then tried to resort to teaching but failed.
    Did you hear that? Someone who's been practising for 20+ years and literally has a degree couldn't find students because there were so many piano teachers.
    The prof then met her many years later to learn that she did something completely different to survive.
  • Or in other words; I think it's more 50% of skill and 50% of Entrepreneurship/Marketing/whatever.
    Why is it not 100% Skill? Because there will be a point of dimnishing returns.
    Schönberg's 12-Tone music might be a lot more skillful than the copy paste stuff you find in current pop music, however almost nobody listens to Schönberg. Heck, most people reading this right now probably don't know him!!

Oh wow, it's almost 10pm now. I wanted to write more but I'm getting tired, sorry.
To conclude; it's possible but I would personally not go with it.
In my case, I want to get money so I can make music however I want to without having to work a job that tires me and screws me over.
However with rap it's often not done for itself but for others. As in that many people rap to become famous, get laid and what not.
If you rap for the sake of rapping and not for the sake of living like a rockstar, then something similar to my path might be interesting to you.

constant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Nov 8, 2022
Check this out, maybe it'll give you some ideas:

glitched

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jan 3, 2024
I listened to the song and seemed okay. To be honest, and don't take this the wrong way, but I wasn't sure if some of it was in English, especially the parts right before the chorus. Have you tried rapping in front of non-friends and family?

Your style does seem a bit outdated, but I'm not a rap enthusiast. Honestly, I would max out on free social proof (non-friends and family) before spending a dime on studio time. You can join communities like https://www.reddit.com/r/localrap/ and see what people think. I'm sure there are local rap events as well.

Also, if you're 23, you should be able to get a job and if you're not paying rent, you can save up that amount in less than a month.

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024
Check this out, maybe it'll give you some ideas:
LilNasX is a perfect example of mainly production and marketing.
Eminem and Kendrick Lamar are examples of mainly skill and word of mouth.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
All my friends think I am great, and I know I am perfect
My friend, your friends will tell you what you want to hear & are likely like you. This is the same logic as saying I have a fantastic product because my friends bought it/said they'd buy it.

What about a stranger? What has the market said?
The only problem is I would be recording off an earbud mic; I would have to post the songs to YouTube or SoundCloud
Get a home rig or something.
The quality, in general, would be a$$ since I don't know how to mix and master
Learn how to do it on the job. An entrepreneur should understand the roles in his business before outsourcing.
I hope to get a loyal following.
Hope is not a strategy. YouTube, Spotify and SoundCloud don't see it as a currency. The only thing they accept is people's attention/eyeballs. Learn to be engaging; don't hope.
Either way I have to record in my car on my earbud mic or fork out $100-200 per recording session.
Alternatively, I could move out and get the equipment and record that way, but I will likely get a noise complaint, considering my preferred flow is loud and aggressive.
Paying for studio time is probably best
Just get a mic & padding around it. This looks like you're convincing yourself to live the life of being in the studio when the most learning you will do is making your rig, mastering/mixing/producing.

My general thoughts: music is very saturated. Can you do it? Yes. Can you make money? Mmm, yes, if you are dedicated.

... But why not make a music related business? In the meantime, you can do this for the love of it. Besides - do you want you passion to turn into a job?

@StrikingViper69 any thoughts?

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024
My friend, your friends will tell you what you want to hear & are likely like you. This is the same logic as saying I have a fantastic product because my friends bought it/said they'd buy it.

What about a stranger? What has the market said?

Get a home rig or something.

Learn how to do it on the job. An entrepreneur should understand the roles in his business before outsourcing.

Hope is not a strategy. YouTube, Spotify and SoundCloud don't see it as a currency. The only thing they accept is people's attention/eyeballs. Learn to be engaging; don't hope.

Just get a mic & padding around it. This looks like you're convincing yourself to live the life of being in the studio when the most learning you will do is making your rig, mastering/mixing/producing.
My general thoughts: music is very saturated. Can you do it? Yes. Can you make money? Mmm, yes, if you are dedicated.

... But why not make a music related business? In the meantime, you can do this for the love of it. Besides - do you want you passion to turn into a job?

@StrikingViper69 any thoughts?
I cannot record myself in my house, I am too loud.
And yeah I'm gonna learn production on Bandlab first then migrate over to FL studios when I can afford the software.

Regardless of what my friends say, I study the craft or rapping so I am technical/advanced based upon the pioneers of the art and the standard the greatest of all time grade themselves by.
Someone could be successful in the market as an industry plant (backed and funded by labels with minimum talent) but would never past the litmus test of skill.

Yes I want to do music full time and use it to escape the 9-5 but that doesn't mean I am going to sell out. I will probably crossover with rock/metal or get a pop singer to sing a hook.

There's a lot of money on the production side, well at least to escape the 9-5. But you have to be mega successful to make money off streams, that's what I'm finding.

I will keep brainstorming other ideas to escape the 9-5 but my art is very important to me because it's my dream to be the best rapper/artist I can be and change as many lives as possible.

moneytree3006

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 10, 2019
Hi there, a professional musician who has achieved high level success in the music industry here. I work with people on the Grammy & Juno award adjudication panel.
I sincerely want to give you some advice as I have been where you are.
Don't make your main money from your actual music. Find another source of income in an area you like.
For example, have your main income from music teaching or recording other people's music, playing weddings, playing paid gigs as a session musician, ghost writing... or do something completely unrelated to music that will give you financial stability. The freelancer model, like Upwork jobs, are the best way to go because they're flexible.
Then, pursue your music career in addition to that. It's about smart time allocation.
You will never be successful as a musician if you're broke. You need so much money to get started. Recording, hiring musicians, playing shows etc all costs SO much money when you are first starting.
For you the only thing that should be important is growing your social media. In today's music industry your actual talent is worthless. You can be the worst musician with the biggest social media following and your song will go to #1.
Focus on these two things and you'll be more successful than 99% of the musicians today.
I have a friend who helps musicians like you in your position, and is building a community where you can all learn and help each other. If you want me to connect you together I will for free.

EDIT: Also don't try selling beats, you can't charge enough for them and you will need to learn to market yourself in order to sell them. If you have no skills in marketing it's too much of a hurdle to climb initially. Try a service based service like teaching with a low barrier to entry.

Marketing is a BIG skill that takes a long time to get really good at. Most musicians are terrible at it.

INVNCBLMEDIA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 9, 2015
I am kind of stumped on way to market myself without money except the old fashion - demo/mixtape route.

The upside is, it cost me nothing except time and effort to get better at rapping. But recording releasing and marketing on a professional level costs a bit.

Here's an example of a song I can make with Bandlab and my phone: Payday by Güero Tonka
Listened to your song, your best bet in the songwriting/product development department is...
Develop your product (music) more by studying songwriting seeing as you already know how to rap.

You're selling technicality and skill (from what you've said) which is fine for people who buy into that.
However, unless you can turn those into GOOD live performances, a personality that people WANT to throw money at and sell stuff like merchandise, show tickets to finance your music business, you may want to consider a different approach.

Friends and family will tell you anything they think you want to hear because they like you as a person (I hope), but that's not your end-customer because you only have so many friends and family willing to give you money with no real return on it for them.

Right now, your best bet is to study the music business as far as how the artists you like keep themselves afloat whether that's shows, selling t-shirts, or even tutorials like you mentioned.

DO NOT FOLLOW OUTLIER ARTISTS
Eminem being *the* outlier artist that's been mentioned, he got signed by an artist/producer who already had an established network, company, etc.

90's/2000's were a different time, it's 2024, we have Eminem Prime and way too many low-tier acts who based their whole marketing/songwriting approach on him (with little to show for it).

If it's a money thing and you're focused on keeping your income music-based, find some artists to write and make demos for. Ask around for local studios to see how it all works. I hesitate to say "find a mentor" to most people, but if you want to Fastlane, that's one angle for you.

Too much more to say, here's hoping you tap back in later this year with some progress notes, you got this.

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024
Aren't beats cheaper than $100?
Hi there, a professional musician who has achieved high level success in the music industry here. I work with people on the Grammy & Juno award adjudication panel.
I sincerely want to give you some advice as I have been where you are.
Don't make your main money from your actual music. Find another source of income in an area you like.
For example, have your main income from music teaching or recording other people's music, playing weddings, playing paid gigs as a session musician, ghost writing... or do something completely unrelated to music that will give you financial stability. The freelancer model, like Upwork jobs, are the best way to go because they're flexible.
Then, pursue your music career in addition to that. It's about smart time allocation.
You will never be successful as a musician if you're broke. You need so much money to get started. Recording, hiring musicians, playing shows etc all costs SO much money when you are first starting.
For you the only thing that should be important is growing your social media. In today's music industry your actual talent is worthless. You can be the worst musician with the biggest social media following and your song will go to #1.
Focus on these two things and you'll be more successful than 99% of the musicians today.
I have a friend who helps musicians like you in your position, and is building a community where you can all learn and help each other. If you want me to connect you together I will for free.

EDIT: Also don't try selling beats, you can't charge enough for them and you will need to learn to market yourself in order to sell them. If you have no skills in marketing it's too much of a hurdle to climb initially. Try a service based service like teaching with a low barrier to entry.

Marketing is a BIG skill that takes a long time to get really good at. Most musicians are terrible at it.
I appreciate the help man, I sent you a message. I appreciate you shooting it straight, no filler for me. Your qualifications are plenty for me to heed your advice as gospel.

Please connect me I need a music community/connections.

I will focus on money (I research business a lot) I am trying to figure out an escape route, I watched a video of a multi-millionaire saying to focus on one thing to get wealthy, but it sounds like that is horrible advice for music.

I would love to ghostwrite or teach rap.

Do you think a YouTube channel teaching people the technical side of rap would work? Or just in general how to develop a persona, how to learn new flows, find time to practice, paying homage, etc.

Or should my social media be more centered on getting followers (talking about women, the gym, self improvement, or entertaining content).

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024
Listened to your song, your best bet in the songwriting/product development department is...
Develop your product (music) more by studying songwriting seeing as you already know how to rap.

You're selling technicality and skill (from what you've said) which is fine for people who buy into that.
However, unless you can turn those into GOOD live performances, a personality that people WANT to throw money at and sell stuff like merchandise, show tickets to finance your music business, you may want to consider a different approach.

Friends and family will tell you anything they think you want to hear because they like you as a person (I hope), but that's not your end-customer because you only have so many friends and family willing to give you money with no real return on it for them.

Right now, your best bet is to study the music business as far as how the artists you like keep themselves afloat whether that's shows, selling t-shirts, or even tutorials like you mentioned.

DO NOT FOLLOW OUTLIER ARTISTS
Eminem being *the* outlier artist that's been mentioned, he got signed by an artist/producer who already had an established network, company, etc.

90's/2000's were a different time, it's 2024, we have Eminem Prime and way too many low-tier acts who based their whole marketing/songwriting approach on him (with little to show for it).

If it's a money thing and you're focused on keeping your income music-based, find some artists to write and make demos for. Ask around for local studios to see how it all works. I hesitate to say "find a mentor" to most people, but if you want to Fastlane, that's one angle for you.

Too much more to say, here's hoping you tap back in later this year with some progress notes, you got this.
Yes one of my favorite rappers Logic actually said "You know my first week looking crazy due to high demand, but people don't buy music in this day and age they buy the brand".

I'm finally realizing what he was talking about now from your guy's reality check.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I've been listening to rap for about two decades and unfortunately based on this one song, you're not as good as you think you are. You still need a lot of polishing. You don't have good diction, your flow is not smooth, and you use some basic rhymes that aren't technical at all (like "bitches" and "witches" from what I was able to understand).

Also, this industry isn't as much about skill as it is about personality and marketing skills. Yes, you're selling music but people want entertainment. Listen to the top rap songs today. Most of them aren't sophisticated but they have something "fun" that people prefer over technique.

Lastly, keep in mind that if you somehow make it to the top, your life will be hell because you'll lose privacy. And in this industry, you'll also be exposed to gold diggers, lawsuits, extra police scrutiny, and death threats.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Hey guys I wasn't finding threads specifically on this, just a few threads talking about enjoying music.

I am a rapper, I've been rapping for about 4 years, I am pretty good, problem is I'm dead broke. I'm 23 and live with my mom and family and have no musical equipment except an AKAI MIDI.
I read "Millionaire Fast Lane" and MJ DeMarco said renting was his top recommendation for the fast lane, he even mentioned music as a form of renting.

In the book he also went over how friends and family won't believe in your dreams and they'll say things like "have a back up plan" or "everyone is doing that" or "it's too competitive" etc.

There is actually quite the barrier of entry for music or rap (which is what I am sort of struggling with now).

All my friends listen to rap and they think I'm dope, they tell me I am better than all these current rappers - and they have really only heard me freestyle.

I've listened and studied people who have 50 million followers on Spotify and they aren't nearly as technical or advanced than me (despite the fact they've been rapping longer).

All my friends think I am great, and I know I am really good but they all think I should have a back up plan, I talked to one friend on the phone today and he basically went on this whole rant about how bad the rap game is and how it's full of sharks and you can never trust anyone, and these trash rappers are blowing when all these lyrical geniuses are being left in the dust.

I live with my mom, she controls my finances as of right now. I am not sure how I'd convince her to let me spend $100-200 on studio time, or $100-300 to buy beats.

People around me are telling me it's all luck and I should stick to the Script. But I know I am dope, I practice religiously, and have been listening to rap my whole life.

I have an app called Bandlab that will let me record myself and make songs. Only problems are I would be recording off earbud mic, I would have to post the songs to YouTube or Sound Cloud (since I didn't buy the beat) and the quality in general would be a$$ since I don't know how to mix and master. Despite this I could do my best and upload the best I got, and hope to get a loyal following.
I plan to learn production but I don't have the money for the software. Either way I have to record in my car on my earbud mic or I have to fork out $100-200 per recording session. Alternatively I could move out and get the equipment and record that way, but I will likely get a noise complaint considering my preferred flow is very loud and aggressive. Paying for studio time is probably best

I was also thinking about doing short YouTube lectures going into how to rap (there's a couple channels like this). And market myself that way.

From someone who has produced 3 full radio quality songs from a bedroom studio, I can give you a few tips.

1. Reaper. It's free, it can do basically everything you'd ever need and it's only mildly hard to learn.

2. You get what you pay for. I've payed about 70€ to freelancers during the production of each song and (not counting guitars) ~200€ for recording equipment. I'm 18 btw.

3. Mixing an orchestral metal song is a hard nut to Crack. Mixing rap should be pretty simple to do. Check out a few yt tutorials and with 1 or 2 hours you get to 80/20 of effectiveness.

4. Paying for studio is super duper worth it. Make sure that you know your song perfectly and can preferably record it in one session.

Regarding making money, honestly, don't try it unless you know that there is a heavy demand in the market for whatever you can provide.

It's so much easier (and more rewarding) to find some unrelated business that solves a problem.
I guarantee that you will make more money selling an improved ruler online than you will trying to follow your passion of rap.

Also, doing it for money can poison your love for the thing. You might end up making 3k in total earnings from rap but then hate doing it.

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024
I've been listening to rap for about two decades and unfortunately based on this one song, you're not as good as you think you are. You still need a lot of polishing. You don't have good diction, your flow is not smooth, and you use some basic rhymes that aren't technical at all (like "bitches" and "witches" from what I was able to understand).

Also, this industry isn't as much about skill as it is about personality and marketing skills. Yes, you're selling music but people want entertainment. Listen to the top rap songs today. Most of them aren't sophisticated but they have something "fun" that people prefer over technique.

Lastly, keep in mind that if you somehow make it to the top, your life will be hell because you'll lose privacy. And in this industry, you'll also be exposed to gold diggers, lawsuits, extra police scrutiny, and death threats.
I agree it's not polished, I was using 2 syllable rhymes throughout all the verses some internally.
Also 3 syllable rhymes.
Alliteration, similes, a metaphor and wordplay.
And yeah it wasn't a smooth flow on purpose lol.

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024
From someone who has produced 3 full radio quality songs from a bedroom studio, I can give you a few tips.

1. Reaper. It's free, it can do basically everything you'd ever need and it's only mildly hard to learn.

2. You get what you pay for. I've payed about 70€ to freelancers during the production of each song and (not counting guitars) ~200€ for recording equipment. I'm 18 btw.

3. Mixing an orchestral metal song is a hard nut to Crack. Mixing rap should be pretty simple to do. Check out a few yt tutorials and with 1 or 2 hours you get to 80/20 of effectiveness.

4. Paying for studio is super duper worth it. Make sure that you know your song perfectly and can preferably record it in one session.

Regarding making money, honestly, don't try it unless you know that there is a heavy demand in the market for whatever you can provide.

It's so much easier (and more rewarding) to find some unrelated business that solves a problem.
I guarantee that you will make more money selling an improved ruler online than you will trying to follow your passion of rap.

Also, doing it for money can poison your love for the thing. You might end up making 3k in total earnings from rap but then hate doing it.
Thanks man this was an extremely based comment.

Just downloaded reaper!

And yeah I will probably get recording equipment down the line but I can't imagine it going well living in an apartment, my neighbors will hate me. And here at home my mom will hate me.
Even now my neighbors hate me (just not enough to call the cops) cause I rap while walking my dog- honestly I think having a rapper in the neighborhood at night adds character to the place lol.

And yeah I saw an interview of Eminem basically explaining he mastered his songs and got an hour worth of studio time. He also talks about doing songs in one-take.
I am going to try to emulate this by mastering the song before recording on my phone.

Also I'm totally down to hear that orchestrated metal music, I love metal, and it sounds interesting.

Güero Tonka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jan 3, 2024

And yeah I will probably just get wealth a different way and keep it as a passion.

I love rap more than anything but I realize now it's not very profitable.
I'll probably sell my soul to the underground and then when I have F-U money I'll try to get a decent independent career.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Generally, I'm not a fan of music as a medium to go Fastlane. The barrier to entry is very low(anyone can record a song and post to YouTube or Sound Cloud). Also, there isn't really a Need for any persons particular music unless you can tap into a group of peoples emotions unlike anyone else which is incredibly difficult.

However, you're 23 years old. Control your own finances You're an adult. Get a job, make money, and buy some equipment.

AT 2020 - $100(USB)
Ableton Live Studio - $150(Lesrn some basic audio engineering. You only need to learn to use a few controls to get by

Take your closet and pad it with bed sheet. Then record yourself.

If you want to jump ahead a bit, get the AT2020 with XLR and by an audio interface for less than $100 and some cheap recording headphones for about $50.

So for between $250-$400 you can have unlimited recording time. So go get a job and buy it yourself.

Just recognize that many people think they are good. Maybe you are. However, unless you are great, you mine as well be bad... because you probably won't be paid for your music until that point.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Thanks for the tag @Spenny. I think @moneytree3006 covered most of what could be said...

When it comes to music, the people at the very very top of the game take everything. And everything you hear about them has gone through a PR filter, so their "story" is often an embellishment on the truth at best, or a total fabrication - the story is there to sell, not to give a biographical account of their rise. Flawless execution with big money. To give an example of the tip top taking everything, the bands that play at the biggest metal festivals, only the top 5 bands playing (if that) are making money from it, everyone else is breaking even on costs (if they're lucky) and have a day job.

Like any business, run the numbers. How many streams do you need to get? How are you going to get them? How are you going to get past everyone else? Are people going to appreciate your sheet technical ability? Because technique rarely sells to big audiences. What do you need to do to get there?

The problem with art is that you aren't solving a need, you're doing something you want to do and praying it lines up with public interest. And to get public interest, you have to compete with people at the top of the game who can afford the studio, producers, engineers, videographers, etc.

I'm not sure you're where you think you are in terms of ability level, when I listened to your song (for some reason the beat reminded me of Ghost Town by The Specials) it was kinda hard to make out your words, which is kinda defeats the point of rap. If you listen to Rap God Eminem is spitting a crazy amount of words... and you can hear every word.

If you don't have money to hang out in a studio all day then you have to start learning. Get a job at McDonalds and get an old mac mini, Reaper, interface and vocal mic and headphones. If you have headphones you can damage your hearing without annoying your neighbours. Get all that stuff second hand, then find YouTube tutorials on Reaper, making your own beats, recording, mixing etc.

Like @moneytree3006 said, this isn't going to pay your bills. Something adjacent can pay the bills, but you don't have the skills to do so at the moment. No-one is going to pay you to learn how to rhyme bitches and witches. Once you've recorded a few tracks and got some good feedback, you could possibly do some group classes to help people work on their rap development, this works well for traditional instruments but I have no idea if it would work for rap.

Easiest way to see if you can get some traction from the public is using TikTok and YouTube Shorts.

If you want to work adjacent to the industry:
  • education (when you have skills to back it up)
  • production
  • ghost writing
  • events promoter
  • video editing
Or/and find a local studio where rappers record at and offer to work for free, or do the cleaning there or something and ask to get cheap rates to record from 1am-8am.

Myself, I've gone the education path and am using that to fund my artistic endeavours (which may or may not take off one day).

There are several music threads on the forum, so I suggest running a search and reading through those. One guy was pretty good at video editing and was making some $$$ editing rap videos on Fiverr.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
Share this story on TikTok. I'm sure there will be someone offering you free beats and that's also a free way to build an audience. You might even get sponsored the equipment you need if you get enough viewers.

It's free and takes 30 minutes a day to post a quality TikTok, start posting starting from today.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.