The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

OMG!!! The Lottery Just Reached $636 Million!!!!

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
......and I'm just here like:

nocountry_tommyleejones_lawsuit.jpg

Would rather spend my time working on my business and building a wealth-creating asset than wasting time standing in line and hoping to get rich. And let's just be real about it, most lottery winners go broke within a few years of winning. Some people end up worse off than they were before winning. But I'll be interested to see how this whole thing plays out tonight.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I feel If I just won all that money, I wouldn't know what to do with it or how to handle it, since I didn't earn it myself. Not sure If I could even control myself with that money, until I knew what it takes to actually earn that much myself. Granted I don't think it'd waste it all.. but I'd try to find ways to preserve it through investments etc. I have a 50/50 chance of scoring it big with my business in my eyes.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Hell yeah I bought a couple tickets. I wouldn't wait in line to buy one or spend my last dollar on one though.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Bought a few tickets for 20 euros, thanks for making me aware of this.

Cya at the top :cool:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Actually it might not be that bad of a bet for a sidewalker:

Odds of winning 636 million: 1 in 175 million
Odds of a sidewalker earning 636 million in any other way: 1 in forgetaboutit

Now for us:
Odds of winning 636 million lottery: 1 in 175 million
Odds of building a 636 million company: 1 in 16,666
Odds of one of us building a 636 million company: 1 in guaranteed!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I never play lotto anymore, but hey, why not throw a couple bucks at it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
There is a massive, massive difference between playing the lottery as a retirement strategy and playing it for a bit of fun.

For a bit of fun - your ticket buys you a bit of excitement. A bit of unknown. Your brain can play around with the "what ifs" in a tangible way - even if you are 99.9999+% sure you won't win, even if you know the odds, it still becomes a mentally tangible experience. You can also engage in fun and idle chit-chat with others who are playing. Have a bit of fun with it. Engage in some playful water-cooler talk.

Things start to get sad when people who can't afford to play in the first place start talking about how badly they need it. Or how they "feel this is the time". Or talk about how they dropped a few hundred on it instead of paying off the Visa. I once saw a young couple with a new baby who were holding a lottery ticket that must have been 2 feet long - I felt bad for that kid.

Personally I buy a few tickets a year. I only buy them to poke fun at a friend who used to sell them. He has become so jaded against them and the people that buy them that the look on his face when I buy one is really what I'm paying for :)

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
G

Guest3722A

@LOYD. Great movie! No Country for Old Men is one of my all-time favorites, up there with Pulp Fiction. And to me, the message is similar to this discussion. Awesome!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I bought a ticket, but only bought it because I was waiting for a deli order to be completed -- had time to blow, and there was no line. :smuggy:

Yes, it is positive EV too... :nailbiting:

Anthony Mitoli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 1, 2013
Too late for me to get one (snowing like crazy, no way to get one before 11PM)

Oh well, I never play the lottery. I'll list 2 new products online tonight instead. At the end of the week, let's meet back here and see who made more. ;)

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
I bought one, simply because its $1 and I just turned 21. I don't get how people get crazy about it though

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
Well I just got back from the gas station looking to get a drink and a bag of chips. Lo and behold, a fairly long line of people trying to get lottery tickets last minute. And no, they weren't like you guys trying to play for fun. You could tell they were hoping that ticket would be their retirement plan. Interestingly enough, I heard on the radio that if no one wins tonight, it jumps to a $1 Billion jackpot next week on Christmas Eve. Even I'll admit that'd be a nice Christmas present lol.

Mbc

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 22, 2013
Montreal
They changed the numbering system so the odds are actually 1 in 259 million

But if you want more behind the math and positive expected value as mentioned by Allen above http://www.businessinsider.com/you-should-buy-a-mega-million-ticket-2013-12

If it's 1$ per ticket and the odds are 1 in 259M, doesn't that mean you can buy every number for 259M and win 636M? Unless it's divisible and 2 other people win.
Lol can we pool together 259M before 11pm?

D

DeletedUser394

Some people do just do it for fun. This just happened a few days ago. A retired CEO of a company that was bought out last year won $40 million dollars in a lottery last year. He's already wealthy, so he's rolling the full amount into a trust to donate out to various charities focusing on cancer research. Lottery winnings in Canada are tax free, so he's getting the full amount. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...er-tom-crist-to-give-40m-prize-away-1.2466610

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I would love to see the pot roll over to $1B. That would be insane. Here's to hoping no one wins tonight and that a massive jackpot comes for Xmas Eve... That, and I didn't play- didn't even know about the big pot. Yup, I live under a rock. Smh!

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Not to familiar with this particular lottery but for the people that are calling it +EV. That's not necessarily the case with lotteries. Multiple people can win the jackpot and the prize pool is split.... If enough tickets are sold (which is often the case with these mega draws) then it's definitely -EV.

On the other hand what's a dollar for a ticket when the amount is that life changing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.