The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get courage to jump?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Latro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 10, 2014
I have an idea and a plan but it's the money where it stops. Not that i can't afford to fund my project but just the fear to lose my money. (i know Don't be afraid to lose)

But i'm still in college and i just have my summer savings and some extra cash to work with and my ide needs about 2k-3k $ to get up running fully with some extra marginal counted in as safety.

Even if i would lose all the money i would steel have a nice back up thanks to a good paying job, but can't even with that safety take the final step to make this idea become reality.

I think it is because i'm too comfortable with my economic situation at the moment, that i never have to worry about how to pay for things (have very low costs) When i see how some of my friends who spend their money stupidly really have a struggle to just pay for daily things and i don't want to be in that situation.

But i said to myself the other day:
-When should i start company if not now, i'm young have cash and if it goes bust i still have lots of chances to achieve my dreams.

I was really close to pull the trigger but in the last second i hear my old man voice telling me i'm just throwing away my hard earned cash so i backed out.

So have you any good tips to get over this barrier?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Think on the idea a bit longer, research the market and competitors. Talk to some people about the idea, maybe ask on the forum about the idea. One day you will have no doubt wether to go with it I kill it

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Latro,

Hate to break it to you but nothing anyone can say will give you the courage you need to make the leap. Something is going to have to happen inside yourself to make you take the plunge. For some, it's seeing a nice car...For others, it's because they hate their situation so much they feel an immense need to get out.

I'm one of the latter, I've toyed around with money making ideas ever since I could remember and never once took action. Where did it get me? No where... Still in the same place... I'm finally in a situation that I perceive to be so bad that I'm in a panic to take action. Stress has driven me towards making moves.

Yury

fancy slogan
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 12, 2013
friends who spend their money stupidly really have a struggle to just pay for daily things and i don't want to be in that situation
Well just read this your sentence yourself. You won't be in that situation - unless you consider your startup to be a stupid thing, eh?

At worst, you'll have to go through some lows but you'll know that it's your way for paying for awesome useful experience that you can't get otherwise and that will help you many many times later in life.

Better go pay this price now than in 10 or 20 etc years, after suffering (thanks to @AlterJoule for sharing what it might feel like if you don't take action) and when it's not so easy to go through the lows because there's kids and mortgage and so on.

But again, that's the worst case scenario (though it's good that you're prepared for that).
If your project addresses real people's issues and you'll be able to solve these and market it properly, there's no need in failing at all.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You need to find your FTM

Latro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Aug 10, 2014
Thanks for all the replays.

But with a little thinking about the idea i'm 50% sure that i atlest will get back the 2 - 3k i'm investing with some good marketing.

So i'm sure i will test this idea in the coming months.
And would love to have it up and running to christmas.

Like what the heck let's gamble! :)
"By doing nothing, you become nothing"

Well just read this your sentence yourself. You won't be in that situation - unless you consider your startup to be a stupid thing, eh?

No i think (know!) this idea can make it.
It's not a new idea but it's has a new angel to it with better functions and design and it's more user friendly, in my eye's atleast.

You need to find your FTM

I have had 100s of FTM, like at least every week at school i'm not an academic person at all.

The only thing i've been doing in schools since 14 is hang out with friends and chase girls.
Always thought school was unnecessary, I thought that math was the only important subject and it was the only subject in school i focus hard on.

Last edited:

GregK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 10, 2014
i'd say "do it, do it now!" (in an arnold schwarzenegger voice - i actually sound like that)
if you have done your due diligence and think you can pull it off, dont wait.

my father drilled me to line up several internships and jobs right after college and get straight to working instead of "wasting time" and dicking around. in the end the experience was worth it, good and bad. truly gave me some of the inspiration to try my own thing.

you seem to have the capital, you have the idea. in the end if you need to hussle to make your money back then you will AT LEAST have the experience and knowledge to reflect on.

Good Luck, keep us posted!

Yeezy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 22, 2014
New Zealand
You can never do too much research.
Just keep learning about your idea and you will know when you are ready to step up.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
maybe try to find ways to avoid business expenditure or at least delay it until it's necessary. i.e bootstrap the business

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I grew up near the ocean.

One year I went there early in the season where the water was still bone-chilling cold, but at the point where people would start to go swimming. One of my friends decided to entertain the idea of going in the water, so they thought about it for a while, and walked up to the shore line to get their feet wet. They had their swimsuit on, boogieboard in their hand. They never took the jump. They decided to play it safe and hang out with the majority of the everyday beachgoers on the shore line, because that was what was the safe thing to do, and what everyone else recommended doing.

The rest of us ran up and jumped right in head first. It was uncomfortable at first because it wasn't something we were used to, but after being in there for a short while, we adapted to the change, and had one hell of a time.... all because we decided to jump right in. I feel bad for my friend who didn't come along for the exciting experience with the rest of us.

Even though we got knocked down by a few waves and swallowed a fair share of water in the process, it made us stonger people on the other side with an out of the box life experience.

Isn't that what this is all about anyway?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.