The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Answer the 'What Do You Do for a Living' Question

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Cyberseraph

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 18, 2013
Germany
Hello everyone,

This is a question for entrepreneurs who are just starting out or already successful ones who don't mind to share their early days when they started.

My situation is the following: I am currently single, quit my job last year and moved to a new city. Now I am working on my Self-Publishing business, I write and publish eBooks on Amazon. Currently I am making more than 1K per month, it is enough to pay my bills but my goal is to earn 5 figures per month next year. For now I live on the cheap, but I feel rich because I am finally in control of my life.

Most of the time I am working on my business. I don't go to clubs or partys, I don't "just hang out", I value my time and don't waste it. But we are all social animals and it is not good to be always alone. Therefore from time to time I do go out to meet new people. It always goes well until I get this one question that I really hate: 'What do you do for a living?'

At first I had no issues to talk about what I am doing (Self-Publishing). But the reactions are different and often I receive negative comments about it. On several occasions people said something like: "I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should get a 'real job' ?" or "Can you really make a living as an author?"

First of all, most meople don't get the difference between being a regular author (most authors have indeed day jobs and write as a hobby) and treating Self-Publishing as a business. It is really hard to explain this to a non-entrepreneur. But moreover, such comments are kind of insulting and bad for my productivity, because afterwards I waste to much thought on those comments.

Therefore I decided it is enough and I will be more private about telling what I am doing. Last time somebody asked me this questin, I answered that "I am selling digital products online, but it is hard to explain and I don't want to go into details". - The result was that people then assume that I am doing something illegal.

My question for you: How do you answer the 'What Do You Do for a Living' question?

Especially if you are just starting out, bootstrapping your business or doing something unconventional?

Please share your experience here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I tell people that I am an entrepreneur, and if they ask about my business, I describe in the most technical way possible, in order to dissuade questions...lol. Most people's eyes glaze over. If someone is still interested enough to continue to ask questions (most people aren't), it usually ends up being an interesting and productive conversation.

A self-published author could say that they use various e-commerce platforms to disseminate information products, for example.

Just my strategy!

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Maybe it is just my group of friends but whenever I say something about starting an e-commerce business/being an entrepreneur people think it is awesome and often bring up an idea they have had for a long time. I worked on an app for a while last year and have now become the "app guy" with friends and friends of friends approaching me with ideas and asking for advice on their own projects. There has really been zero negativity.

G

GuestUser116

How long did it take you to reach 1k /month?

How many books do you have published and at what prices?

What kind of marketting do you do?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should get a 'real job'

I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should shut the f*ck up and get out of my face?

Never forget, ordinary people push ordinary advice.

themaxx

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2014
London, UK
It sounds like you're embarrassed to be a self-published author, when you should be proud and see it as a strength.

What do you do for a living?

I'm an author.
I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should get a 'real job' ?
Why would I become a slave to someone else when I can support myself by writing?
Can you really make a living as an author?
Yes, I do.

I'm sure the next question you'll get is, "How can I make a living as an author?"

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
A great quote I heard that any slowlane person can't argue against:

"Why do you want to work for the MAN when you can BE THE MAN." That clicks for them right away.

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
I used to tell people that I make money online, but that usually leads to a shit ton of questions, then to 'How much do you make?' and then 'Can you teach me?'... Every god damn time

Now I just tell them I hustle and I never elaborate. Some think I'm dealing drugs, some think I'm an unemployed bum who sits at home, some know I just do something with computers... no-one has a clue, not even my gf who lives with me, knows what I really do lol

Cyberseraph

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 18, 2013
Germany
Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberseraph

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 18, 2013
Germany
Some think I'm dealing drugs, some think I'm an unemployed bum who sits at home, some know I just do something with computers... no-one has a clue, not even my gf who lives with me, knows what I really do lol
LOL This reminds me about Tim Ferriss who used to answer that he is dealing drugs for fun and profit.

By the way, I see that you are from Estonia? One of my favorite start-ups named Toggl is from Estonia. Their software is known globally and I use Toggl by myself. It is a simple time-tracking software, used also by authors and entrepreneurs.

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
Like it says in my profile:

I am a professional beggar by day, and I moonlight as a part time neurosurgeon.

;)

But seriously, I just say I am an entrepreneur, or that I have a "marketing" business most times, 99% of people won't understand what you say if you actually go into detail about your businesses, so its best to keep it simple and not waste time.

BaladOfARichMan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Sep 5, 2013
Spain, Germany
Currently I am making more than 1K per month

LOL, at least you're paying you're bills out of that! My situation is worse, I'm not complaining at all (I know this is how is supposed to be). I'm still not making much money out of my entrepenurials adventures and when someone asks me what do I do, I normally tell them I work a job, which true (just to pay my bills). But then, they start asking why i am working that shitty job and that I should look for a "real good job" and there is when they discover that Im not looking forward to it because I do "other things" (as they call it) on the side.

And since Im still not making enough money to support myself they say, "you should quit that because you've already been 1 year into that and you're getting nothing, you are starting to grow old enough to play with life, bla bla bla..."

So don't complain, because situation can always be worse! :)

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Person 1: 'What do you do for a living?'

You:
"I am doing (Self-Publishing)."

Person 1:
"I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should get a 'real job' ?"
"Can you really make a living as an author?"

Response

"You want it to be one way...... But it's the other way."

Last edited:

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
By the way, I see that you are from Estonia? One of my favorite start-ups named Toggl is from Estonia. Their software is known globally and I use Toggl by myself. It is a simple time-tracking software, used also by authors and entrepreneurs.
I know we have the most start-ups per capita in Europe and very high up in the world, so I'm always interested in companies founded over here. Never heard of that one before though, but looks interesting. Just signed up and going to give it a try, thanks

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Get a real job"

(In an excited, please tell me more, voice)
"Really? What's a real job?"

A friend always said he was a shepherd.

When I get asked I usually say: "I work for myself". Sometimes I say "You know them little ads you see on Google when you do a search? I do them." If they look interested then we can keep talking. Otherwise people just go "Oh".

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
"I don't want to offend you, but don't you think you should get a 'real job' ?"

"I don't want to offend you, but I made more money today while I was playing nintendo than you did all month."

"Can you really make a living as an author?"

"Do you really want to make a living as an accountant?"

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I get that crap all the time. I just ignore it. The one thing you can count on in the world is critics and judges. You can't make them happy. Don't even try. Just be happy you are doing something they're not doing. When you're finally there, they wont' have much left to stay. They're just distractions. They believe they have a real job. What is a real job anyway? You ever thought about that. Wayne Dyer stated on one of his video's he still has people asking him when he's going to get a real job. After he's made way more money than the rest of them through books, workshops, and teaching.

Just about anything you do takes some kind of skill and training. Even being lazy and using the remote. You ever had an older lady or gentlemen ask you how some gadget works. You can sell news papers and magazines on the corner. Now that's a real job in New York and Paris. What makes a job real. Always like it when someone says, "Face Reality". Which reality would you like me to face? Everyone has a different reality. What ever is real in your mind, becomes your reality. So it must be a real job, if you're doing it.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
1451396_821219257902283_6883423993145213561_n.jpg

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
"I build apps and travel"
oh, what apps?
"I built an app that teaches dolphins how to swim. You attach the iphone to them with a special band and the vibrations help them swim better"
really?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I sell (blank).

They typically don't ask anything further, cuz it just sounds like I'm a salesman. They're not wrong.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
they use various e-commerce platforms to disseminate information products

good idea.

also, i think a good thing to say would be:

"I'm retired from work, but I spend my days writing because I enjoy it. It also earns me a modest income."

It's humble (which everyone likes) with enough "I'm free and you're not lol".

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.