The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Few questions about 'sales safari' process

Idea threads

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
Hi, I am fullstack dev and I've had several failed businesses based on my 'great' ideas. I have matured to the point where I now rely on real needs and problems.

Currently, I am working on resolving some problem, but it probably won't let me earn a lot of money (we will see). However, I've learned a lot (WordPress, marketing, ads, etc.).

From what I've read and learned, a better option is creating SaaS in B2B instead of B2C business (companies are more willing to spend more money).

I know that now I have to find a real problem in some niche with some companies.

Unfortunately, I currently can't see any problems or needs around my friends, hobbies, and work, so I probably have to use the sales safari method and make a list of niches/branches, read FB groups/forums/Reddit/X, and look for problems. The first question: what do you think about that strategy?

My second question is about validation. Let's say that I found a problem.
According to my knowledge, I would do the following steps:
  1. Buy a domain.
  2. Create a simple landing page with a newsletter form to collect interested customers' emails and some screens designed in Figma.
  3. Write a post in the group/forum/Reddit/X about my idea (without posting the link, just information).
  4. Wait for subscriptions and conversations with potential (interested) customers.
  5. Decide whether to build an MVP or not.
Is this process okay? How can I tell if it's profitable to build an MVP? How much time should I spend on such a process before making a decision about an MVP?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"Sales Safari" -- have no idea what this means, not a term I've used.

From what I've read and learned, a better option is creating SaaS in B2B instead of B2C business (companies are more willing to spend more money).

I agree with this.

My second question is about validation. Let's say that I found a problem.
According to my knowledge, I would do the following steps:
  1. Buy a domain.
  2. Create a simple landing page with a newsletter form to collect interested customers' emails and some screens designed in Figma.
  3. Write a post in the group/forum/Reddit/X about my idea (without posting the link, just information).
  4. Wait for subscriptions and conversations with potential (interested) customers.
  5. Decide whether to build an MVP or not.

This generally is a process that can work.

However, you don't even need to do this.

@N.Kagan (Noah Kagan) has a book coming out next week called Million Dollar Weekend that shows you the shortest route to your first customers.

#1 and #2 can be done with a simple Google form.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Get straight into conversation? Why put a signup page and emails between you and people you want to chat with?

Jump on LinkedIn and Facebook and go find groups of business owners and see how you could help them?

Also, find problems people already pay for. Can you also solve those problems?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Sales Safari" -- have no idea what this means, not a term I've used.

I agree with this.

This generally is a process that can work.

However, you don't even need to do this.

@N.Kagan (Noah Kagan) has a book coming out next week called Million Dollar Weekend that shows you the shortest route to your first customers.

#1 and #2 can be done with a simple Google form.
Ha. I see he's bringing a book out too.

I like Noah. I listened to this podcast today on a drive. He's rapid fire and speaks sense.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
@MJ DeMarco sales sadari (known for sure in Poland) is process of looking for problems and needs in different niches and observing customers (in fb froups, forums, reddit, meetings etc.) in their natural environment.

In sales safari we do a list of different niches so as a result dont know anything about them (those arent our hobbies and so on).

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
@MJ DeMarco @Andy Black What are your thoughts on the mentioned technique/framework for identifying problems and needs in various niches? Do you believe that all niches are suitable for developing SaaS solutions?

I've compiled a list of niches that interest me, but it seems that most of them don't have issues that could be addressed by SaaS. These include floristry, agriculture, and truck cranes. In these areas, people tend to have different concerns, such as:

• Inquiring about mechanical parts
  • Sharing photos from their work
  • Seeking information about hiring workers
  • Asking for advice on plant spraying
  • Complaining about poor harvests.
Conversely, there are niches where people spend more time in front of a computer, such as:

• Accountants
  • Insurance agents
  • Online marketers
  • Medical clinics etc.
These sectors do have problems that can be solved by SaaS, but they are often saturated with existing solutions.

Do you agree that there are many niches not worth exploring for SaaS problem-solving opportunities, or am I perhaps overlooking potential issues in these areas?

I'm aware that @eliquid consistently advises focusing on niches where we have authority. However, sometimes this isn't feasible.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
@MJ DeMarco @Andy Black What are your thoughts on the mentioned technique/framework for identifying problems and needs in various niches? Do you believe that all niches are suitable for developing SaaS solutions?

I've compiled a list of niches that interest me, but it seems that most of them don't have issues that could be addressed by SaaS. These include floristry, agriculture, and truck cranes. In these areas, people tend to have different concerns, such as:

• Inquiring about mechanical parts
  • Sharing photos from their work
  • Seeking information about hiring workers
  • Asking for advice on plant spraying
  • Complaining about poor harvests.
Conversely, there are niches where people spend more time in front of a computer, such as:

• Accountants
  • Insurance agents
  • Online marketers
  • Medical clinics etc.
These sectors do have problems that can be solved by SaaS, but they are often saturated with existing solutions.

Do you agree that there are many niches not worth exploring for SaaS problem-solving opportunities, or am I perhaps overlooking potential issues in these areas?

I'm aware that @eliquid consistently advises focusing on niches where we have authority. However, sometimes this isn't feasible.

Sales safari - I first heard about this process through Amy Hoy many many years ago. I don't like it.

The reason I push domain authority is varied and many, but basically this in a nutshell:

1. You're going to survey people about what problem to solve. - In my experience people don't know what they want, so you either get people shooting at the hip and talking sideways out their mouth, or you only get the people willing to speak and talk, and not the industry and their true wants.

2. I've built what people asked me to build at my 7 SaaS's before, and what people end up paying for is almost never what they asked you to build. I couldn't count the number of times people asked for XYZ and ABC and we launched it in our SaaS(es) and then those same people didn't renew or use the new the feature. No one else did either.

3. Going back to #1... ok, you surveyed people and built an MVP. It doesnt pan out or you hit some roadblocks. What are you going to do now... survey people again about where you should pivot? lol. Not only does that sound dumb, but it didn't work the first time.

If you don't know what you are doing ( meaning, you aren't an authority and an authority doesn't mean you are the best, most famous, highly educated on the subject, etc ), then why do that? Pick another niche in SaaS.

If you truely don't understand the problem and the solution, you can't help another person with it and provide the value they need. And value is where you will reduce churn, grow MRR, and get people to use your SaaS.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
Sales safari - I first heard about this process through Amy Hoy many many years ago. I don't like it.

The reason I push domain authority is varied and many, but basically this in a nutshell:

1. You're going to survey people about what problem to solve. - In my experience people don't know what they want, so you either get people shooting at the hip and talking sideways out their mouth, or you only get the people willing to speak and talk, and not the industry and their true wants.

2. I've built what people asked me to build at my 7 SaaS's before, and what people end up paying for is almost never what they asked you to build. I couldn't count the number of times people asked for XYZ and ABC and we launched it in our SaaS(es) and then those same people didn't renew or use the new the feature. No one else did either.

3. Going back to #1... ok, you surveyed people and built an MVP. It doesnt pan out or you hit some roadblocks. What are you going to do now... survey people again about where you should pivot? lol. Not only does that sound dumb, but it didn't work the first time.

If you don't know what you are doing ( meaning, you aren't an authority and an authority doesn't mean you are the best, most famous, highly educated on the subject, etc ), then why do that? Pick another niche in SaaS.

If you truely don't understand the problem and the solution, you can't help another person with it and provide the value they need. And value is where you will reduce churn, grow MRR, and get people to use your SaaS.
In sales safari process you dont do surveys. You just observe them and formulate the problems yourself.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
In sales safari process you dont do surveys. You just observe them and formulate the problems yourself.
This is basically the same thing as surveying.

You don't know the problem or the solution, you are asking people what the problem and solution is.

Only in this method, you aren't asking.. but you are still finding out the problem and solution from others, not yourself.

In both, you don't know if the problem other people are telling you ( through reddit or a survey ) is actually a problem or not. When you build the solution and post in reddit, you don't know if it's really a solution either.

So to me, reddit does equal the same as surveying. You're basically relying on others to spoon feed you. But you dont know what they are spoon feeding is valid or not.

When people don't pay you for the solution, even though they told you they had X problem, then what do you do? Go back to reddit ( or the survey ) and ask again?

This is why I push the authority path. You get to really understand what the true problem and solution is.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why is it not feasible?

My advice isn't too dissimilar to @eliquid's. It could even be the same.

Go help people, one at a time, in person or online, manually. Figure out what people will pay you to solve. Get paid to solve it. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Start seeing patterns. Develop procedures and tools to help you solve problems you encounter repeatedly. Start getting known as the guy who solves XYZ problem. Gradually allow other people to use your tools.

Start by helping people.

EDIT: You don't need to listen to me. Go read the thread by @noahkagan and note his thoughts on SaaS.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
This is basically the same thing as surveying.

You don't know the problem or the solution, you are asking people what the problem and solution is.

Only in this method, you aren't asking.. but you are still finding out the problem and solution from others, not yourself.

In both, you don't know if the problem other people are telling you ( through reddit or a survey ) is actually a problem or not. When you build the solution and post in reddit, you don't know if it's really a solution either.

So to me, reddit does equal the same as surveying. You're basically relying on others to spoon feed you. But you dont know what they are spoon feeding is valid or not.

When people don't pay you for the solution, even though they told you they had X problem, then what do you do? Go back to reddit ( or the survey ) and ask again?

This is why I push the authority path. You get to really understand what the true problem and solution is.
So for instance.

Let’s imagine that you follow the sales safari process and observe accountants group in FB. After few days you have 3-4 repeated many times questions and problems.

You prepare a landing page describing your solution which resolves the mentioned 3-4 points and add subscription form. You collect 50 emails and have 10 conversations with subscribers.

You see the potential and build MVP with 3 plans: free, basic, premium and add discount for the first customers.

Why do you think it is bad idea? I know examples of the mentioned process.
In accountants niche there are a lot of SaaS’es. Who build it? Software devs, I think, not accountants.

If I will build the SaaS in domain I am authority, the problem of no paying customers could also occur, right? I have never 100% confidence that my solution give me paying customers.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
Why is it not feasible?

My advice isn't too dissimilar to @eliquid's. It could even be the same.

Go help people, one at a time, in person or online, manually. Figure out what people will pay you to solve. Get paid to solve it. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Start seeing patterns. Develop procedures and tools to help you solve problems you encounter repeatedly. Start getting known as the guy who solves XYZ problem. Gradually allow other people to use your tools.

Start by helping people.

EDIT: You don't need to listen to me. Go read the thread by @noahkagan and note his thoughts on SaaS.
Yeah, I followed this process and now I’m selling ebooks, but it’s just b2c market in my country so I couldn’t earn more money.

Now, I’m looking for something bigger.

@Andy Black could you send me some links describing examples of the „helping process”? I’m very interesed.

Btw, I’m waiting for new Noah’s book :))

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
I'll give an example.

And I hate to do this, I really do. Because I think my examples and analogies suck.

But here goes...

I bought a home in the woods many years ago. I still have this home.

A problem with a home in the woods, is they are most acceptable to termites. Other homes outside of the woods can be, and some home in the woods in certains geo's may not be.. but in general if your home is in or near woods, you have a higher % chance of getting termites or being near termites and other wood boring insects that can damage your home like carpenter ants, etc.

When I go online and research on reddit, forums, youtube videos, and quora, I get a ton of answers of what I need to do to prevent them.

But guess what, 95% of those answers were wrong.

I even surveyed termite inspectors and techs.

Mostly what I got was ways to alert me if I had termites. Or baits to give them to prevent them from molting. Or baits they could sense that would alert the termites there was poison in the ground so they would go somewhere else ( away from my house ).

But that's not what I want.

Why?

Because it could take 6-9 months to prevent them from molting ( which will then kill them ) and that's 6-9 months they are eating on my house. The queen could go years without molting though and she lays thousands of eggs a week... So these molting baits are very very "meh"

The solutions that the termites can smell/sense are poison that drive them away are no good either. They can find another way into the house away from the poison like an area where it washed away or got skipped in the coverage, or they could go under the foundation and be fine....

It also depends on what kind of termites you have too, because what works on one might not work on another.

I wanted to kill them. Kill them now.

It took me a long time to really find the solution. I'm talking years of trial and error with my hands in the dirt and feet in the trenches, on my own home.

Even though I researched and surveyed, hardly anyone was talking about the real solution.

And there are MANY reasons why they are not talking about, and this is why it took me so long to find it. I ended up being an authority on termite killing because of this.

I now know a shit ton about termites. and I also know the best way to prevent and kill them.

And the solution I came up with, you won't find on reddit, youtube, quora, forums, or by surveying.

Because I took all the info I know and made a unique solution based on my years of trial and error and real world results.

Sure, you don't have to use my solution and you could still kill termites with just 1 part of my solution... but my solution kills and continues to kill for a decade. It also alerts you if more come and it will also do the molting too as a added layer of making sure termites are eradicated.

My solution is now a "system". Most companies sell a solution. Something like a bait, or a spray that they put down 1 time and come back and check every X months. I have a system though, something no one else has or provides and also if 1 part of it fails, the other parts of the system still protect me actively.

Can you see where me being an authority on this and making a system, is 100x more valuable than maybe someone else that just has a solution? I would never be in that situation surveying or reading reddit, FB groups, or youtube shorts as my research.

You will never know this yourself, unless you also become an authority.. because you don't understand the real problem or the real solution.

Hope this true example helps.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You prepare a landing page describing your solution which resolves the mentioned 3-4 points and add subscription form. You collect 50 emails and have 10 conversations with subscribers.
Why are you putting people at arm's length? You're in a Facebook observing people complain about a problem. Solve it there and then by replying to their thread? i.e. "help them".

There's nothing magic about how to go about helping people.

Check out the first row of links in my signature, especially "Just Start Already" and "Who Have You Helped?".

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Let’s imagine that you follow the sales safari process and observe accountants group in FB. After few days you have 3-4 repeated many times questions and problems.

You see the potential and build MVP with 3 plans: free, basic, premium and add discount for the first customers.

Do you trust these accountants have fully researched and vetted all solutions?

I don't

Most people don't research or look for anything. They just go online and complain or post a question.

There could be 100 solutions to their problem right now, they don't know about.

But you come along and feel they are smarter than you, and that those accountants have done their due diligence and now you have some gold mine..so you build something that is now doing something another product does.

And once you launch, that other product see's you and fixes whatever the problem was and makes you pretty much useless and only able to compete on price now, because you don't know anything about accounting or accountants and you are now back to reddit or surveys to find another problem.

You are behind the "8-ball" forever now and playing catch up with people you felt knew their space, but it's just the blind leading the blind each time.

This is a very real thing.

Why do you think it is bad idea? I know examples of the mentioned process.
In accountants niche there are a lot of SaaS’es. Who build it? Software devs, I think, not accountants.

Sure, dev's probably built it.

But a dev is a dev is a dev.

What happens when someone like me, a business owner who knows business copies you and the solution the dev made? You think you can outdo me?

Lets rearrange the focus to, what are you going to do when an accountant who truly knows their space hires me to build it for them, you think you are going to outdo the person who really understands the problems and solution ( the accountant )?

Again, you will be behind the 8-ball now.

If I will build the SaaS in domain I am authority, the problem of no paying customers could also occur, right? I have never 100% confidence that my solution give me paying customers.

Yes, it can occur.

But that's the risk you make in ANY business. Be it Real Estate, starting an agency, selling digital ebooks, etc.

You can't remove that risk, so it's useless to bring up really.

But the difference is this, as an authority you don't rely on potentially false information to start your solution, and you also don't depend on potentially false information to pivot when it doesn't work the first time.

You also learn 100x more about it, which gives you angles and pivots that later grow the same solution you would never get from not being an authority.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
Why are you putting people at arm's length? You're in a Facebook observing people complain about a problem. Solve it there and then by replying to their thread? i.e. "help them".

There's nothing magic about how to go about helping people.

Check out the first row of links in my signature, especially "Just Start Already" and "Who Have You Helped?".
To help them first on FB I have to spend some time reading that group and get some domain knowledge and solutions of their problems.

Amy Hoy (author of sales safari) says that you should spend few weeks on observed group.

Probably after this time I could be a small authority and it will agree with @eliquid opinion.

Well, the sales safari process should work because Amy earn a lot of money teaching it. What do u think?

Last edited:

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
Do you trust these accountants have fully researched and vetted all solutions?

I don't

Most people don't research or look for anything. They just go online and complain or post a question.

There could be 100 solutions to their problem right now, they don't know about.

But you come along and feel they are smarter than you, and that those accountants have done their due diligence and now you have some gold mine..so you build something that is now doing something another product does.

And once you launch, that other product see's you and fixes whatever the problem was and makes you pretty much useless and only able to compete on price now, because you don't know anything about accounting or accountants and you are now back to reddit or surveys to find another problem.

You are behind the "8-ball" forever now and playing catch up with people you felt knew their space, but it's just the blind leading the blind each time.

This is a very real thing.

Sure, dev's probably built it.

But a dev is a dev is a dev.

What happens when someone like me, a business owner who knows business copies you and the solution the dev made? You think you can outdo me?

Lets rearrange the focus to, what are you going to do when an accountant who truly knows their space hires me to build it for them, you think you are going to outdo the person who really understands the problems and solution ( the accountant )?

Again, you will be behind the 8-ball now.

Yes, it can occur.

But that's the risk you make in ANY business. Be it Real Estate, starting an agency, selling digital ebooks, etc.

You can't remove that risk, so it's useless to bring up really.

But the difference is this, as an authority you don't rely on potentially false information to start your solution, and you also don't depend on potentially false information to pivot when it doesn't work the first time.

You also learn 100x more about it, which gives you angles and pivots that later grow the same solution you would never get from not being an authority.
Well, but I know some accountants and could develop the SaaS based on conversations with them.

And what if they have just technical problems like no integration between some systems? It is fully understable for me and I could resolve it because it’s clear technical thing.

Ehh I feel that the fact I am software dev is my luck and unluck because software is just my main domain :/

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
you should spend few weeks on observed group.
I say help someone, today. Ideally solving a problem people will pay to have solved.

Why observe for weeks? You're doing people a disservice by just observing. You can't invoice anyone for observing either. Oh, and you can't invoice anyone while you're in your batcave building stuff.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Well, but I know some accountants and could develop the SaaS based on conversations with them.

And what if they have just technical problems like no integration between some systems? It is fully understable for me and I could resolve it because it’s clear technical thing.

Ehh I feel that the fact I am software dev is my luck and unluck because software is just my main domain :/

True, but a couple issues crop up:

1. The accountants you know, are they smart people? Like really smart top of their game level? I'm not saying they have to be, but I have been through ( personally ) a ton of accountants. Some of these people show up 9-5 and know enough to prepare your taxes and keep you compliant with the IRS/law. And then you have some that are really good and eat breathe shit this and know all the real good loopholes and strategies and really are in the trenches.

My fear for you is, if you just know a couple "meh" ones, you really don't get a benefit from knowing them and having them help you.

Like, if all the accountants you know love Xero.. they may give you a lot of good tips about integrating with Xero and then you are left out of building for those that use Quickbooks, and Quickbook is a major share of the market. Etc, stuff like that.

2. Integrating between 2 system, so maybe an API or some 3rd party tool you build. Lets pretend it's integrating Quickbooks with TaxJar. IDK if this exists, but let's roll with it for now as an example.

You build it, all is going good for 6 months. You get some decent buzz and signups and making $10,000 MRR now 6 months in.

What's going to happen to you when Quickbooks ( or TaxJar ) also see you and build it out themselves? They are going to see there was a need in the market ( you, you are there and people are talking about you ) and build it too into their systems because they want to make their product more valuable to their users.

Now you start to lose market share, as people ditch you and paying $19 a month to you... to have included in their Quickbooks or TaxJar for free already in their sub to them.

Now you start to lose MRR as people churn. You also can't gain any new market share, because all your possible customers ( TaxJar and Quickbooks customers ) have no reason to seek you out since their issues are now solved right into the solution they already use and love ( Quickbooks and TaxJar ). You can't really spend money on ads to get new customers, QB and TaxJar already have a massive user base.

You don't really know this space well, so you are at a loss as to what to do next other than ask a couple more accountants what to do and what to build and you are always in this "rinse and repeat" mode of asking for advice and hoping people tell you the right answers and that when you build it, they will pay.

See where issues like this creep up?

I'm trying to put the odds in your favor.

Can you have success your way? Sure!

Will you last 2 or 3+ years, I'm betting no.

Again, trying to put odds in your favor is all I am doing.

You can do it your way, but you will face a lot more issues rolling that boulder up that hill.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Well, the sales safari process should work because Amy earn a lot of money teaching it. What do u think?

Eh.. this is where I am worried for you.

Making money teaching something does not equal what they are teaching is correct, valid, or right.

I could post a ton of "guru" examples here, but Id rather not make this a bashing session/thread.

I find it very rare that what people make money teaching, is actually good stuff or what they actually did themselves.

As far as Amy though and Dane M. and others who teach this style of SaaS building...

What is an easier sell?

Amy telling you, "hey I'm selling a way for you to build your own SaaS and earn millions and freedom online for just $999 in 2 payments, and you don't have to know ANYTHING about the SaaS you are building, just read reddit all day and then build with a UpWork VA that only cost $5 an hour!"

OR

Me telling you, "hey, this shit is hard. You need to know what you are building, like maybe at least 2 years experience as an authority in the field and then once you know the ins and outs build it and expand it over time. It's gonna cost you $999 for me to teach you this hard stuff and then you need 2 years of experience in this field to build it, and then once you build it, you prob need to pay $50k to a real dev to build it right. Here is the signup form and payment link"

Who you think is going to make more sales? Me or Amy?

Really?

Let that sink in.

Amy making more sales, doesn't make her more right.

BTW, I've been through her course and many others by other people. Been there and done that. There is a reason I am against it and also, I'm not selling anything so I have 0% vested interest in what I am telling you too.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This 8 minute video might help, including the last part.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
@Andy Black @eliquid

Thank you so much for your answer. I appreciate it very much. Your knowledge is gold and very helpful.

I’ve been thinking about all this for last weekend and I agree but I am also little confused.

You, @Andy Black recommend start helping as soon as possible.

On the other Hand, @eliquid said about spending 2 years in some domain to become real authority.

And @eliquid I agree with you that creating SaaS via sales safari process is much harder. But earning 10k usd / month for few months is ok for me for now. I could sell this SaaS later, right? I can create several sources of income like this.

Well, probably it wouldn’t be one or more million dolar business but earning 100k is still great :D

To sum up, what options do I have?

1. Looking for problems in my domain (software or machine learning/AI, because I’m learning it now)

2. Find and learn new domain

3. Try sales safari despite difficultes, create several microsaases/saases and try to sell it at the end. And continue the process.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You, @Andy Black recommend start helping as soon as possible.

On the other Hand, @eliquid said about spending 2 years in some domain to become real authority.
How do you think you'd become a domain authority in 2 years? By helping people as soon as possible?

It seems like you're a bit tangled up. What works for me when I'm tangled up is to go help people. Figure it out from there.

Oh, and did you find Noah Kagan's thoughts on SaaS in his AMA?

And have you listened to TMBA 227: The Rise Of Productized Services | Tropical MBA ?

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
How do you think you'd become a domain authority in 2 years? By helping people as soon as possible?

It seems like you're a bit tangled up. What works for me when I'm tangled up is to go help people. Figure it out from there.

Oh, and did you find Noah Kagan's thoughts on SaaS in his AMA?

And have you listened to TMBA 227: The Rise Of Productized Services | Tropical MBA ?
Sounds logic. Helping 2 years to earn some money is so long :D but I understand the concept.

About the 8 min video - I gonna watch it tommorow.

About Noah’s thread. I’ve read something but not sure it was the same you mentioned. And still waiting for the book ;p

Edit: ok, I see you add some new link to podcast in your previous post.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Helping 2 years to earn some money is so long :D but I understand the concept.
?

Help people AND get paid.

Can you make a sale this week?

I'm not a SaaS guy btw. I just see people in the forum tangled up so often.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
?

Help people AND get paid.

Can you make a sale this week?

I'm not a SaaS guy btw. I just see people in the forum tangled up so often.
Ye, I feel tangled up.

Probably I need to read some histories of people who started their business from just helping others as you described.

Tommorow, I gonna watch all links you’ve added.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
Ok @Andy Black I've read all your material. This is gold.

But how do you choose the niche where you start helping? What if I choose the niche where people don't want to pay for solutions (because it isn't so important for them)? I will spend 2 years helping people and become an authority and finally earn 0. I agree, helping is super, but thinking about appropriate groups is still important, right?

Well, I don't know how can I help and earn money within next 3 days so to do anything I have a plan for next 7 days:

1. As I mentioned earlier, I have good friend who is an accountant and has few problems with software. There are 100k people in fb accountant group. Instead of scrolling it (sales safari), I've added the post "How can I help you. Do you have some problems with software? Could I make some processes faster or less irritating?" I'm waiting for reaction.

2. My grandpa and dad have a big company with cranes. I saw that they use classic notepad to record all crane departures and it takes few minutes to find it when some new customer calls with request. And they have no stats, for instance, which crane earns more money in previous month/year. I've added a post about this kind of software in FB group and get some likes (people answered that this niche is digitally backward in our country, but for instance in Norway, there are similar apps). Well, maybe it isn't real problem, but I can create simple service with calendar and stats in excel within 3-4 days. I will create a free version with very basic functionalities (but max 5 cranes) and send them to test for free.

Well, I do not have better idea for now so I will realized the mentioned points.

The next plans:

1. I want to create a bot to find problems and needs in FB groups in sales safari process to safe my time. I will use FB api and maybe chat GPT api. Maybe it could be helpful for other people who use sales safari process as well. If it will work, I create free and basic plan, connect stripe and register the app in indiehackers, producthunt and create google add.

2. I've started to learn machine learning. In reference to your words, I will find some groups and try to help others in this topic :)

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ok @Andy Black I've read all your material. This is gold.

But how do you choose the niche where you start helping? What if I choose the niche where people don't want to pay for solutions (because it isn't so important for them)? I will spend 2 years helping people and become an authority and finally earn 0. I agree, helping is super, but thinking about appropriate groups is still important, right?

Well, I don't know how can I help and earn money within next 3 days so to do anything I have a plan for next 7 days:

1. As I mentioned earlier, I have good friend who is an accountant and has few problems with software. There are 100k people in fb accountant group. Instead of scrolling it (sales safari), I've added the post "How can I help you. Do you have some problems with software? Could I make some processes faster or less irritating?" I'm waiting for reaction.

2. My grandpa and dad have a big company with cranes. I saw that they use classic notepad to record all crane departures and it takes few minutes to find it when some new customer calls with request. And they have no stats, for instance, which crane earns more money in previous month/year. I've added a post about this kind of software in FB group and get some likes (people answered that this niche is digitally backward in our country, but for instance in Norway, there are similar apps). Well, maybe it isn't real problem, but I can create simple service with calendar and stats in excel within 3-4 days. I will create a free version with very basic functionalities (but max 5 cranes) and send them to test for free.

Well, I do not have better idea for now so I will realized the mentioned points.

The next plans:

1. I want to create a bot to find problems and needs in FB groups in sales safari process to safe my time. I will use FB api and maybe chat GPT api. Maybe it could be helpful for other people who use sales safari process as well. If it will work, I create free and basic plan, connect stripe and register the app in indiehackers, producthunt and create google add.

2. I've started to learn machine learning. In reference to your words, I will find some groups and try to help others in this topic :)
Help your grandpa and dad.

bambz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 11, 2021
Help your grandpa and dad.
They don't need my help. I was talking with them.

But, a lot of accountants answered me in FB and msg me priv. Additionally, some CEO of saas with 1500 customers msg me priv about cooperation :O Well, conversations with people are so exciting :D

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
They don't need my help. I was talking with them.

But, a lot of accountants answered me in FB and msg me priv. Additionally, some CEO of saas with 1500 customers msg me priv about cooperation :O Well, conversations with people are so exciting :D
Boom. Conversations beat getting people onto an email list so you have a one-way conversation at arms length.

Stop thinking of niches and think of people and problems. Help people who pay for problems to be solved, and solve problems people pay to solve. If you're stuck, just help people and figure out the getting paid bit after. It's not going to take 2 years to figure it out.

Business is simple: Help people, get paid, help more people. (Start, sell, scale.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.