The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Charnell's eBook Progress Thread [Here we go, it's getting serious!]

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Right, I hear what you're saying. I definitely wouldn't want to flood the market with a bunch of two bit reskinned apps that just take up space. I'll learn a bit of development, figure out a good product to put out to accompany a book, and release them together. Right now I'm plotting what I could put out that would make an impact, something simple enough I could do most of the programming to further increase proficiency.

If the book is out first and sells well, you can use that as leverage when hiring or partnering up with a coder to prove a need!

Good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
It's been a few weeks since an update, so here goes. Yesterday was my birthday, so I went out and celebrated with some friends and had a good time. Whoever said alcohol is a magic potion that steals happiness from tomorrow for today wasn't lying.

Of the 7 freelancers I hired around December 1st, all but 1 have completed assignments. I picked a topic I knew enough about to be able to fact check their work, to see who I wanted to continue working with.

Game plan:
Continue with 5 freelancers doing non-fiction, producing 1 book at least every 2 weeks each. I also have 2 gentlemen that are doing fiction. What I want to do is be able to have them create high quality, valuable ebooks, that way I can write what I want to write. I could make the whole starving artist gig work, but I don't want to.

I believe I said it in a previous post, but the reason I'm switching to mainly non-fiction is because it provides more of a slow-burning delayed income. I'd rather make $10 every month than $50 in 1 month and no money after that. One of my earlier non-fiction titles has been doing about $5 a month, roughly 2-4 sales. I revamped the cover and applied what I've learned about copy writing to the blurb and it's set to clear $30 this month. Brought it back from the dead!

Real life stuff:
Almost done with the semester, feels good having 1 nearly done with. It sucks being 24 in class with a bunch of 18 year old people, so I'm contemplating moving back to my hometown where my school offers a satellite program. Tried out the college lifestyle, got real tired of it around November 1st.

I'll have my last final for the semester on Tuesday, and classes wont start again until January 12th. That's damn near a month of time. That will make or break me for my June goal of consistent $2,000 a month. Being in the midwest, rent is inexpensive (right now I play $435 flat for a "cozy" studio apartment a block from campus) and the last thing I'd want to do is a summer job. Either bust my butt when it's freezing outside for a few weeks and enjoy the summer, or not.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Good stuff! I am aware of one guy who's scaled it up with non-fiction books to the point where he has 2000 books published. I'm no advocate of that model but it's done.

Gabriel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 19, 2014
Good stuff! I am aware of one guy who's scaled it up with non-fiction books to the point where he has 2000 books published. I'm no advocate of that model but it's done.

I am starting in self publishing, and that was my kind of model... I mean, scalating up and publishing as much medium quality books as possible. What are your thoughts on mass publishing? Why do you think it's not a good idea? I'm pretty interested to know your opinion!

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I am starting in self publishing, and that was my kind of model... I mean, scalating up and publishing as much medium quality books as possible. What are your thoughts on mass publishing? Why do you think it's not a good idea? I'm pretty interested to know your opinion!
If you produce medium quality books, you'll get less than medium quality success. I learned that the hard way. A $10 ebook is a $10 ebook, you might make $30 off of it but once those 1 star reviews start coming it's game over. Honestly the best advice I can give is quality>quantity.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

It's the equivalent of building Adsense Websites to just have people click on ads.. it's low value. I don't like that.. It's a good business idea in a sense that it is scalable etc but I wouldn't do it. One of the terms of picking business to do is whether it can be great. There are good examples of niche sites where owner tries to be the best at it and it's Pat Flynn's stuff (www.smartpassiveincome.com has two case studies there). BUT it's not scalable so you can't have thousand of those websites fast..

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
It's the equivalent of building Adsense Websites to just have people click on ads.. it's low value. I don't like that.. It's a good business idea in a sense that it is scalable etc but I wouldn't do it. One of the terms of picking business to do is whether it can be great. There are good examples of niche sites where owner tries to be the best at it and it's Pat Flynn's stuff (www.smartpassiveincome.com has two case studies there). BUT it's not scalable so you can't have thousand of those websites fast..
Exactly. It will work, for about 8 minutes. Then people will catch on and you're in a hole.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Exactly. It will work, for about 8 minutes. Then people will catch on and you're in a hole.

Gotta say some do get away with it and it works... for some. We don't live in a perfect world..
Also can't say how much effort he puts in.. so. Just a very grey area...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Gabriel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 19, 2014

So let's say I'm writting, a "master piece" book right now, and I though of writing another medium-quality book, launch it first to gain some experience and then publish the first one, that is really good. What do you think? Whar are your insights about first self publishing a book or any tip you wanna share with me! :D I would gladly accept any recommendation.

I love how mature people on this forum are. Trully love all of you.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
So let's say I'ma writting, a "master piece" book right now, and I though of writing another medium-quality book, launch it first to gain some experience and then publish the first one, that is really good. What do you think? Whar are your insights about first self publishing a book or any tip you wanna share with me! :D I would gladly accept any recommendation.

I love how mature people on this forum are. Trully love all of you.
I might not be understanding what you mean by medium-quality. Are you talking about length, prose, editing or content?

Length: (assuming you enroll in KDP Select) Don't expect many sales past the 5 free days every 90 days. One thing you could do, if you're writing fiction, write a short prequel to your longer novel. Publish it on as many platforms as you can for free so people actually pick it up to see what it's about. Include a link to your mailing list in it as well so when you do release the full length novel you have a bunch of people that are interested in where the story goes.

Prose: Know who your target audience is. Unless you're writing for children, don't use Dr. Seuss rhymes to prove that jellyfish have no spines and all cats are felines.

Editing: Don't ever put out anything with poor editing. You will get slammed with bad reviews, and no one wants to read, even if it was literary gold, misspelled words and misplaced commas. It's distracting, and takes one out of the scene and ruins the flow.

Content: If you're writing fiction, you can write about anything. If you're writing non-fiction, you should have some understanding of what you're writing. Also, for a majority of topics, it's hard to be "the definitive guide to..." and only be 20 pages long. There are obviously plenty of exceptions, but unless you're writing "How to Order a Cheeseburger at McDonald's" it's going to take a bit longer than a day to write. Don't mislabel your books, or people will read it, be let down, and let you have it.

So as far as "medium-quality" books go, you're best bet would to drop a prequel prior to the release before hand to build interest. But don't try to game the market by putting out dog crap.

Gabriel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 19, 2014
I might not be understanding what you mean by medium-quality. Are you talking about length, prose, editing or content?

More about length and content, I'm writing books about how to lose weight, not combining just diet, but psycology and lof of other things. I have hundreds of books read, and I made my dad lost 50 pounds, I lost 20 pounds on my last cut, and I have a good amount of experience on my back . I have good understanding of the physigioly of human body, and I am also a med student.

I was thinking, on maybe writting a book resembling like this "Loose 15 pounds on a month, the not easy but realistic guide to lose fat" or something among those lines, a short book of about 50-60 pages. That would not take more than a month to scrib it, and maybe a few days to edit it and proof read it.

Then I would publish my real book, that has a lot of things mixed up from nutrition, metabolism explanation, explaning why some diets works and other not from my own experience and much more, psycology, hormones and mood state on losing weight and how to fight them. This one would have around 50 000 - 70 000 words, and would require a lot of time, and investigation, and since I am not a native american, I would totally pay to a professional proof reader (Instead of using my dad as one lol).

What do you think? Do you think I would make money with my 2nd book?

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
More about length and content, I'm writing books about how to lose weight, not combining just diet, but psycology and lof of other things. I have hundreds of books read, and I made my dad lost 50 pounds, I lost 20 pounds on my last cut, and I have a good amount of experience on my back . I have good understanding of the physigioly of human body, and I am also a med student.

I was thinking, on maybe writting a book resembling like this "Loose 15 pounds on a month, the not easy but realistic guide to lose fat" or something among those lines, a short book of about 50-60 pages. That would not take more than a month to scrib it, and maybe a few days to edit it and proof read it.

Then I would publish my real book, that has a lot of things mixed up from nutrition, metabolism explanation, explaning why some diets works and other not from my own experience and much more, psycology, hormones and mood state on losing weight and how to fight them. This one would have around 50 000 - 70 000 words, and would require a lot of time, and investigation, and since I am not a native american, I would totally pay to a professional proof reader (Instead of using my dad as one lol).

What do you think? Do you think I would make money with my 2nd book?

I'm no expert in the health and fitness field, but have been lifting on and off for over a decade now. Losing 15lbs in a month doesn't seem very realistic, unless whoever's doing it is like...400+lbs.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Good evening everyone.

Business is working still. I had to fire a freelancer after 2 weeks of delays and then a week of not responding. Now I'm sitting at 8, bringing me books around every two weeks. Still trying to narrow down the niches, where I don't put out garbage I know nothing about like depression or medical help stuff, but still topics that can bring some longevity to my investment.

I also joined my first mastermind group.

A few months ago after I got home I worked at a gym my friend is a personal trainer at for about a month. He's very good at talking to people, so a lot of the older regulars knew him well. One of the guys, I didn't know it at the time, runs his own business online, consulting, courses, etc. I guess my friend told him about the ebooks I'm doing, he adds me on Facebook, and last week he asked if I wanted to be apart of a Skype call he was doing. Besides him and me, one of the guys in the call did ebooks as well and the other guy was doing real estate. Already I've gotten new connections with other guys in their networks, so I'm pretty pumped about that.

Long story short, I'm going to start selling shovels now. I've realized that apart from my unwillingness to solely target profitable niches, I know (what I assume to be) everything there is to publishing ebooks. No matter how many books I read or courses I've taken, I don't learn much of anything. So this week I'm going to put my knowledge on paper and start to write my own book on publishing, one I can put my real name on. They're going to hold me accountable, and the last thing I want is to be seen as a slacker (or whatever) after the first meeting.

The next meeting is set for Sunday at noon.

Game plan:
Monday: Create TOC/Outline
It's so much easier to write when I have a plan. I'm going to go as in depth as I can to make it easier. Chapters, any points I need to make, quotes to include, everything to make the process easier.
Tuesday-Saturday: Write
Bottom line. I have nothing going on this week. I don't have any plans for Christmas, so there is no excuse not to. The best time for, for maximum productivity, is around an hour after I wake up. After that I will cut off my internet and phone to disable distractions. I will try to utilize the pomodoro method as much as I can.

I'm pumped.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Not to be an a$$ but honestly, everyone and their grandma is writing books about Publishing these days. Jeez.. Everyone wants to cash in... If anyone still had doubts Kindle had been a goldrush and now it's finishing, this is a clear sign (I mean tendency for many to teach and sell the dream when it was highest few years ago and isn't as good now..).

Maybe you'd be better off focusing elsewhere? Like developing good autoresponder sequences for few best niches you have and developing relationships with them so you could upsell next books and make more money long term?

While cool, publishing niche is competitive and it is a shiny object compared to what you're doing already. Reinvest, don't start new things I'd say..

P.S. The only way I think to break in with Publishing advice is to find angle.. like Nick Stephenson did with Amazon keywords book or email list building. That was different and useful. But at the same time, there aren't that many topics... Ones that come to mind, not addressed enough are Legal stuff and Accounting stuff for Writers.

Last edited:

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Not to be an a$$ but honestly, everyone and their grandma is writing books about Publishing these days. Jeez.. Everyone wants to cash in... If anyone still had doubts Kindle had been a goldrush and now it's finishing, this is a clear sign (I mean tendency for many to teach and sell the dream when it was highest few years ago and isn't as good now..).

Maybe you'd be better off focusing elsewhere? Like developing good autoresponder sequences for few best niches you have and developing relationships with them so you could upsell next books and make more money long term?

While cool, publishing niche is competitive and it is a shiny object compared to what you're doing already. Reinvest, don't start new things I'd say..

P.S. The only way I think to break in with Publishing advice is to find angle.. like Nick Stephenson did with Amazon keywords book or email list building. That was different and useful. But at the same time, there aren't that many topics... Ones that come to mind, not addressed enough are Legal stuff and Accounting stuff for Writers.

In all seriousness though, I have been sitting on a lot of information for a while now. Between notes I've written, posts, and PMs sent between members I already have a short book. Clean it up a bit, polish the rough edges, add more information to complete it and I'm set.

I've always been told I knew how to explain things very well. I sit in math class and people know to ask me for help, not because I'm some genius, but I know how to explain things in a way that they understand.

The thing is, I started out writing, then I started outsourcing instead of writing. I have 3 weeks off from school, and am going to fill this void with more writing. Something I can put my name on, instead of a pen name, that I can share with my friends and family.

I have a different angles as you say, when it comes to post published action. I'm a bit on the fence about including it now, because it is some pretty valuable advice, some most people don't think about when they write their books.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Well, it's good that you can explain things, but that does not necessarily mean you should do it for Book about Publishing. That's a universal skill, not subset for one industry. It's a great skill. But this is also classic 'me' vs what marketplace needs. Does it need another book about Publishing? Nope, not about general publishing. Look at people like Joanna Penn, Self Publishing Podcast guys, David Gaughran, and many others (like Sell Your First 1000 Copies etc). The newest guy who broke in was Nick Stephenson and he niched down and revealed info that is very valuable and competitive advantage for him (keywords on Amazon). So if you really have that kind of info, then it is probably the only thing that might be valuable and unique.. If this is about publishing and outsourcing for non-fiction... that's an angle. I might even promote it myself for my audience, just like I've done with N.Stephenson's stuff...

Strategically, how does this play into bigger picture. Some questions: You will release it, if it hits? What's next? Teaching? Is it gonna bring more business to your other books? Is it gonna get you to next level? Increase your income exponentially? If not, then what's the point? Esp. since the goldrush is ending and will never be as good as it was and will likely just get more and more difficult.

Obviously, just my opinion for sure.

Good luck in any case!

Gabriel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 19, 2014
I love how people says how the gold rush is ending. Yeah maybe, but it's ending for people who espect to be casing thousands in not time.
This remembers me to the gold times (2006-2008) of pirates. I was 12 years old at 2008, yet I cashed a summer, 1000 dollars just leeching the F*ck out of other members from the pirate community. I made a regular salary of an argentinian, in 2 months of summer being only 12. Now, that's the gold rush. Now it will be a lot harder, the money it is still there, but unless you are serious you won't cash any money.
I think that's the same for self publishing, sure 2 years a go scrapping cottent from public domain, and publishing would make you a lot of money. Now you need to create value if you want to make money. Gold rush only works for people seeking short time money earning by hustling. Long time players, that create value actually beneficiate for the ending of gold rush. When the gold rush it's over, people looking for cashing instead of creaing value will leave, leaving the market alone to serious people.

I am new to the self publishing market, but everywhere I look, people is telling how it's not as easy as it was in 2012, and how hard it's going to be on the following year. Now for me that's a really encouraging thing, cause it's keeping away money seekers, and more competence.
It's happen the same thing as it was on 2008 for movie/games pirates, shit gonna get harder for people looking only to cash, but for serious people things will get actually easier.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
I love how people says how the gold rush is ending. Yeah maybe, but it's ending for people who espect to be casing thousands in not time.
This remembers me to the gold times (2006-2008) of pirates. I was 12 years old at 2008, yet I cashed a summer, 1000 dollars just leeching the F*ck out of other members from the pirate community. I made a regular salary of an argentinian, in 2 months of summer being only 12. Now, that's the gold rush. Now it will be a lot harder, the money it is still there, but unless you are serious you won't cash any money.
I think that's the same for self publishing, sure 2 years a go scrapping cottent from public domain, and publishing would make you a lot of money. Now you need to create value if you want to make money. Gold rush only works for people seeking short time money earning by hustling. Long time players, that create value actually beneficiate for the ending of gold rush. When the gold rush it's over, people looking for cashing instead of creaing value will leave, leaving the market alone to serious people.

I am new to the self publishing market, but everywhere I look, people is telling how it's not as easy as it was in 2012, and how hard it's going to be on the following year. Now for me that's a really encouraging thing, cause it's keeping away money seekers, and more competence.
It's happen the same thing as it was on 2008 for movie/games pirates, shit gonna get harder for people looking only to cash, but for serious people things will get actually easier.

Who said it's bad that it's ending? Just said it's not easy. And didn't say it's bad that it's over. But there are good people expecting too much and then stressing out and stopping publishing because of 'negative results'. When it's not negative results, just unrealistic expectations.

And who knows, maybe in future Amazon will do something that rekindles it, it's mostly dependent on them anyway. Youtube was a goldrush and produced dude like Justin Bieber and many more stars, but it's doesn't any more, it's way harder. BUT it still works.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Well, it's good that you can explain things, but that does not necessarily mean you should do it for Book about Publishing. That's a universal skill, not subset for one industry. It's a great skill. But this is also classic 'me' vs what marketplace needs. Does it need another book about Publishing? Nope, not about general publishing. Look at people like Joanna Penn, Self Publishing Podcast guys, David Gaughran, and many others (like Sell Your First 1000 Copies etc). The newest guy who broke in was Nick Stephenson and he niched down and revealed info that is very valuable and competitive advantage for him (keywords on Amazon). So if you really have that kind of info, then it is probably the only thing that might be valuable and unique.. If this is about publishing and outsourcing for non-fiction... that's an angle. I might even promote it myself for my audience, just like I've done with N.Stephenson's stuff...

Strategically, how does this play into bigger picture. Some questions: You will release it, if it hits? What's next? Teaching? Is it gonna bring more business to your other books? Is it gonna get you to next level? Increase your income exponentially? If not, then what's the point? Esp. since the goldrush is ending and will never be as good as it was and will likely just get more and more difficult.

Obviously, just my opinion for sure.

Good luck in any case!
That's the just the thing. I'm trying to prove to people that I know WTF I'm talking about and can provide value to them. Not under a pen name.

eBooks are not my end all be all. What I really want to get into is paid courses. But what I know now is eBooks, know what I mean?

I have a plan now for my eBook, where I'll do a course in conjunction with it.

All other books are under a penname, 95% outsourced, so apart from a mailing list and basic advertising, they were as close to pump-and-dump as I'll get.

I never planned on hitting any goldrush, I found an opportunity to make money, and now I can make more money by teaching others how to do what I did.

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
I don't spend much time on these forums so I haven't had the chance to read through all of your thread until now, but I've found it really interesting and I like what you're doing! I've thought about branching out from self-publishing into other (but similar) things as well, but I haven't got very far yet. I think a publishing course could potentially be successful, but it'd require a fair bit of marketing to really hit it off.

I'm interested to know: approximately how much are you paying your freelancers on average?

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I don't spend much time on these forums so I haven't had the chance to read through all of your thread until now, but I've found it really interesting and I like what you're doing! I've thought about branching out from self-publishing into other (but similar) things as well, but I haven't got very far yet. I think a publishing course could potentially be successful, but it'd require a fair bit of marketing to really hit it off.

I'm interested to know: approximately how much are you paying your freelancers on average?
It depends on whether it is nonfiction or fiction.
All of my non-fiction writers get $10/1000 words.
For fiction, I would pay them $3/1000 words. I would have them write a 3 part series, and then pay them the average of the three at the end as a bonus, so it really came out to about $4.5/1000 words.
I also have one guy from Sri Lanka that brings me short stories for $9. They are a $9 story, so I have to spend a bit of time cleaning them up, but for the time being it's worth it.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
2014 Year in Review:
2651 books sold. I'm getting the hang of this, at least I better be damn it. Keywords are coming together, getting positive reviews, all in all on the up and up. Real different from March when I sold 4 books in total. Hit over 700 sales in December, with the 31st being my best day ever, outselling all of June combined.

Covers are starting to come together as well. I'm still doing them myself, but am learning every time I create a cover. My April covers compared to my December covers are like comparing Nick Cannon and Dave Chappelle. No comparison. Nick Cannon is garbage.

I feel like my book descriptions have improved vastly from when I first started. The first book I wrote and published, the description was 2 sentences. No wonder it's only made ~$12 in 10 months. Especially compared to my newer releases, where they make triple that on day one. Reading up on copywriting really helped me out there.

Non-fiction has been doing alright for me this month. Overall, adding up all of the freelancer's payments versus the money made from strictly non-fiction I came out a loss, but I'm looking for the long burn with those titles. That's what I found with my non-fiction, they sell 5+ copies a month, but never die out like fiction.

Is it strange that the biggest thing I was looking forward to this year was a spreadsheet? I have this damn elaborate spreadsheet with all kinds of charts and graphs that give monthly sales predictions based on daily sales, individual book tracking, goal setting along with calculating exactly what you need to do to reach that goal, earnings per word, expected tax payments, word count tracker, etc. I wish I could share it, but I don't know if the creator of it would want me to.
qWy6nv4.png

Some of the numbers of goofy (publish 249 books this year? Possible but I'm gonna need a few more freelancers) and they wont project actual publishing/word goals until Feb.

I'm coming into this year on a very high note, hitting my highest day on the 31st of December, I'm going to keep this momentum going.

Last edited:

Selfy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 7, 2014
I haven't paid that low 4.5 per 1000 words. Is that even in English? But good job man!! Really like how you got data analysis out there.

To share, I evaluate books via average per day to rid of the noise. If it drops, then I do a relaunch.

Margins still low though so I feel you on that 249 books next year. You have to. Roughly, it'll take a submission platform, and some hired help. Market research must be top notch and that's why when I get a chance I'm looking to get the hfr php tool he alluded to.

Are you writing still? Or you've gone outsource all the way? Man, looks like good numbers! Congratulations!

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I haven't paid that low 4.5 per 1000 words. Is that even in English? But good job man!! Really like how you got data analysis out there.
Solid a$$ English! Really well written stuff. I was surprised when I got it back TBH, after the trial I did.
That spreadsheet is amazing! It works a lot better as time goes on, getting real specific in numbers. "You need to publish X books this month to reach your financial goal of Y for the month." Amazing.
To share, I evaluate books via average per day to rid of the noise. If it drops, then I do a relaunch.
I'm not too sure what you mean here by noise.
Margins still low though so I feel you on that 249 books next year. You have to. Roughly, it'll take a submission platform, and some hired help. Market research must be top notch and that's why when I get a chance I'm looking to get the hfr php tool he alluded to.
I have a few tools I use besides manually going on Amazon and seeing what's selling. Keyword tools, sales rank tools, hell I even have a tool that can break down daily sales by author name. It's not 100% accurate because it's based off sales rank, but it gives a nice ball park.
Are you writing still? Or you've gone outsource all the way? Man, looks like good numbers! Congratulations!
I'm picking up my numbers, but I haven't published anything I've written in a while. I rewrote and added content to a non-fic book I created back in April to breathe some life into it, and it seems to be working, at least in December.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
2014 is off to a great start. So far since the 1st I've sold roughly 13% of my total sales from 2014. I can blame it on Christmas, but I want to capitalize on this momentum to find a loyal readership. I have a few books ranking in charts, busting top 20 status depending on the time of day. Consecutive record sale days are really making me feel like the pieces are starting to come together, especially keywords. They're finding my material someway!

Last edited:

Gabriel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Nov 19, 2014
Damn, is it all out-sourced? I want to write down 10 books maybe, before out-sourcing! Do you have any tips to give me? I recently published my first book, and I am also in the middle of writting my second one. Both of them are creative non-fiction.

I know learning is a process, but any tips or suggestions will be gladly accepted!!

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Damn, is it all out-sourced? I want to write down 10 books maybe, before out-sourcing! Do you have any tips to give me? I recently published my first book, and I am also in the middle of writting my second one. Both of them are creative non-fiction.

I know learning is a process, but any tips or suggestions will be gladly accepted!!
Best tip is write those books before you start outsourcing.

It's a bit different but I'm a first year non-trad college student. After outsourcing two hundred thousand words, being told I have to write a 10 page (maybe 2,000 words) feels like such a chore. I sit there trudging along thinking I could pay someone $30 to write about Anti-Intellectualism in Social Media.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
2015 is off to a bang. We're 10 days into January and it's already my best month ever as far as sales go. Averaging 19 sales and 66 borrows a day, which I'm still mind boggled over. Keywords really coming in clutch.

Charnell

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
So far this month I've sold more books than dollars earned in my highest month (Oct). I've found a system that works, and now it's time to expand. As of today, for every time I hit publish I make around $80. I can publish 4 books/bundles in an hour. I'm no mathematician but I think my goals will be reached before I know it, as long as I bust my a$$.

I'm going to slowly reducing my foreign freelancers and start working with native freelancers. Cost goes up, as well as quality.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.