The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YouTube Shooter and Scripted Mindset

Anything related to matters of the mind

MartijnS

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 13, 2018
Utrecht, Netherlands
I was reading an article with some background on the YouTube shooter, and when I read this part about her I was immediately reminded about the Unscripted concept that you can not be (too) dependent on one single third party...

Her father, Ismail Aghdam, told media outlets on Tuesday that his daughter made a living from the videos and that she had become increasingly angry about YouTube’s Feb. 20 move to demonetize smaller channels. The platform “stopped everything, and now she has no income,” he told NBC News. On Wednesday, San Bruno police said they believe her resentment toward YouTube motivated the shooting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The EL Maven

No longer life's passenger
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Dec 3, 2015
Lesson be learned. While (thankfully) I haven't seen the violence, I've seen companies do this sort of thing time and time again. eBay did it. Amazon did it. YouTube did it. Facebook did it. Google did it. They'll all do it again... and by "it" I mean screw the little guy out of their money in one form or another. Best keep that in the back of your mind and truck forward despite this reality. Your destination is not determined by the wind, but by the set of your sail.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I try not to watch the news, but when I heard this on the radio (the shooting at YT headquarters) my initial thought was just that: "Probably some pissed off YB'er who was demonetized or censored."

I dismissed the idea quickly.

But now I find out i was right.

YouTube Shooter's Video Complaining of Unfair Treatment

When you mess with people's livelihood, trouble can happen.

Really no different than an employee shooting up a workplace after being fired in terms one finds unjust.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
People need to put on their big boy pants, or sit down.

Two days ago, I lost a copywriting contract I've had for over 4 years. Decent side income, but operational challenges forced them to close the department where the copywriting was needed.

When these things happen, you dust your shoes, and keep it moving.

That's why putting all your proverbial eggs in a single basket is dangerous.
No matter what that basket is, or how much perceived control you think you have over said basket.

MartijnS

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 13, 2018
Utrecht, Netherlands
Yeah, i can see how one would be able to get incredibly frustrated over such sense of unfair treatment. And especially with large internet businesses the sense of inability to even speak to someone would drive a person nuts.

Same experience I had with Adsense, when trying to get a human to explain to me why my site would violate their policy. Don't depend on just one company, especially not a big one... too big to fail, sure, but also too big to care!

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
All you gotta do is run some YT ads to get the views you are missing to re-monetize your channel.

Sad situation nonetheless.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Disclaimer: shooting up companies is bad mmkay. Don't shoot up companies. It's bad. Mmkay? No sane person should ever think to shoot up a company, or see that as anything but evil. Mmmmkay.

Louis CK has a comedy bit about the first use of WiFi in a plane. It goes something like: air hostesses announce there is WiFi, guy starts using it, it stops working, he says "this sucks", and Louis CK points out how unreasonable that is, because it's something that didn't even exist in the world an hour ago, and also the guy is flying through the air like a bird, etc.

But this is bullshit and false, and we all know it. Giving something valuable, and then suddenly snatching it away mid-use with a stoney face and refusal to discuss it, is a legitimate cause for anger. For anyone. It's extremely prickish behaviour.

It's like giving a lollipop to a baby, and then just after it tastes it and starts to enjoy it, you snatch it away and throw it in a bin. Now of course, it wouldn't be fair or reasonable or right or good if someone then struck that person in the face with a baseball bat, but most people would be lying if they said they didn't feel at least a tinge of "justice has been served" as they witnessed that.

The people who run these companies do act with a sense of "what they gonna do?". They do just take sudden actions without warning (blitzkrieg method) without concern for the little guys beneath them. We all know about the profoundly disrespectful corporate American way of firing someone (as shown in Margin Call). Companies will just smash people's lives, and respond to the inevitable reaction by installing someone between them and the victim, who's job it is to just talk until the other person gives up. No reasoning, no opportunity for negotiating another deal, just put a human stone wall between you and the victim until they're exhausted.

Now of course, most people just take it. After all, the company is well within it's rights to do it. Its primary goal is shareholder value, so fair enough. Nothing illegal about it. But every now and then you'll end up being the final straw on the back of someone with nothing left to lose... Which of course, isn't to say if you get victimized, it's a good thing. Absolutely not. But the fact these people will exist from time to time, might make other people at least pause a second before they issue their next blitzkrieg policy.

The solution is generally, just don't be dick. If you're going to make some changes, you ease them in. You give forewarnings. You phase things in, you graduate things, you give opportunities for dialog, you give advice on what people have to do to reach new thresholds or criteria, and so on. They won't be happy, but they'll unhappily understand better. They'll be more prepared to take bad news, and they'll handle it better, instead of potentially snapping and doing something foolish.

Because next time you decide to be a dick, and throw out a big sudden capricious dick move, there's no guarantee there isn't someone who's a bag of a hundred dicks on the receiving end, just waiting to rupture, and it ends up raining on you.

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
Result of a society whose political leaders use victimhood and promote entitlement as a way of life. We'll see more of it sadly because of that.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Man I appreciate her stance to save the animals, but damn she's creepy.

Reminds me of a few internet dates I had many moons ago.

Sad in so many ways.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Equally interesting is a lot of her ramblings are rants against SCRIPT-like dogmas... :wideyed:

emse7en

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Apr 9, 2018
Utah
She missed the bigger picture with YouTube. Too many creators are just focused on the Adsense revenue. There are many other ways to make money. My income because of YouTube is as follows

30% Adsense
50% promoting other brands
10% selling merchandise
10% 3rd patties licensing my content

And there are certainly many opportunities to make money through YouTube that I’m not using or doesn’t fit my niche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted50669

I try not to watch the news, but when I heard this on the radio (the shooting at YT headquarters) my initial thought was just that: "Probably some pissed off YB'er who was demonetized or censored."

I dismissed the idea quickly.

But now I find out i was right.

YouTube Shooter's Video Complaining of Unfair Treatment

When you mess with people's livelihood, trouble can happen.

Really no different than an employee shooting up a workplace after being fired in terms one finds unjust.
For unlawful termination there's a pretty penny to be made in litigation haha

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Man I appreciate her stance to save the animals, but damn she's creepy.

Was going to say the exact same thing.

Personally when I meet someone that looks mentally unstable, I either stay away or treat them a bit better than I would anyone else.

What Youtube did was shitty. I guess that combined with someone already on the edge equated to a shooting. Sad, but brings into perspective the significance of how you treat others. The majority of people will be angry and move on. The psychos will do psycho shit.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.