The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YOUR SYSTEM is more important than your EFFORT.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I'm quite shocked this post didn't get more traction -- I've been at this forum for 15 years and I've made tens of thousands of posts, over 37,000!!!

If there was ONLY ONE post I could force someone to read to help them on their journey, this post would be it. And yet, it barely has 20 replies, but the guy who wants to do nothing and blame luck, has 80 replies.
I think it boils down to readers preferring direct answers than concepts.

If you want big results you have to choose games/fields that could possibly deliver that kind of results if you win.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jjtjzj

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 8, 2023
China
After 10+ years work as an employee, I knew the system I am in lead nowhere.
You have to compete really hard just to avoid laid off.
I am thinking and exploring a more efficient system, and this forum gives me a lot of inspirations.

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
I tweeted this and posted it in the Telegram Group, and felt it needed to be here, as well as the newsletter.

Whatever you think, I think this is the most understated, important concept for obtaining financial freedom.

I realize that might be controversial, but it isn't when you consider the fastest man on earth is NOTHING when hindered by a poor system.

The most powerful factor in wealth creation has nothing to do with motivation. It has nothing to do with effort, persistence, discipline, or the usual suspects commonly pushed. While these help, the most important thing is likely something you never considered.

It's this...

The most powerful tool for wealth creation is within the SYSTEM you put yourself in. Your choices dictate the system. For example, if you elect to get a job as an electrician, that's a system. A doctor? A system. A cashier? It's a system. Nurse? You've given yourself a system.

Likewise, electing to be an entrepreneur also endows you with a system.

Starting a sandwich shop on the corner? System.
Starting a software company? System.
Joining an MLM to sell overpriced goods and far-fetched fantasies? System.
Starting a YouTube channel? System.

Self-endowed systems go beyond jobs and business. An aspiring actor is part of a system. Artists. If you become a politician and are elected, congratulations; you're now part of a system. Enter office with a net worth of $1M, leave 15 years later with $250M.

Ultimately, the SYSTEM determines how your EFFORT, motivation, and discipline compounds into momentum, or lack of it. The SYSTEM determines if you have access to asymmetrical leverage--which creates wealth- or no leverage at all.

What leverage does your system offer? Or does it?

The best analogy of the SYSTEM/EFFORT Concept is equate your system to a vehicle.

Many jobs are like a tricycle.

If you throw Usain Bolt on a tricycle, you'd beat him in a race. Did he suddenly get slow? No, the problem is a poor system suddenly marginalizes his EFFORT.

So many people work harder and longer than myself. And they're more talented. Their work ethic isn't the issue; it's that the system they've adopted hinders their effort.

View attachment 51181

Want to get paid what you're worth? Change your damn system and get off the tricycle.

This is why Fastlane Entrepreneurship is the most potent SYSTEM; it's a system swap where your effort compounds and gives asymmetrical leverage a chance. A great effort in the JOB SYSTEM gives you a 4% raise. A great effort in a BIZ SYSTEM gives you a 4000% raise.

SYSTEM > EFFORT > MOMENTUM (via Compounding)

Choose wisely.
LOVE IT! Is it me or every time I see MJs posts, his profile pic makes me laugh every time!!!

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Feb 3, 2022
I tweeted this and posted it in the Telegram Group, and felt it needed to be here, as well as the newsletter.

Whatever you think, I think this is the most understated, important concept for obtaining financial freedom.

I realize that might be controversial, but it isn't when you consider the fastest man on earth is NOTHING when hindered by a poor system.

The most powerful factor in wealth creation has nothing to do with motivation. It has nothing to do with effort, persistence, discipline, or the usual suspects commonly pushed. While these help, the most important thing is likely something you never considered.

It's this...

The most powerful tool for wealth creation is within the SYSTEM you put yourself in. Your choices dictate the system. For example, if you elect to get a job as an electrician, that's a system. A doctor? A system. A cashier? It's a system. Nurse? You've given yourself a system.

Self-endowed systems go beyond jobs and business. An aspiring actor is part of a system. Artists. If you become a politician and are elected, congratulations; you're now part of a system. Enter office with a net worth of $1M, leave 15 years later with $250M.

Ultimately, the SYSTEM determines how your EFFORT, motivation, and discipline compounds into momentum, or lack of it. The SYSTEM determines if you have access to asymmetrical leverage--which creates wealth- or no leverage at all.

The best analogy of the SYSTEM/EFFORT Concept is equate your system to a vehicle.

If you throw Usain Bolt on a tricycle, you'd beat him in a race. Did he suddenly get slow? No, the problem is a poor system suddenly marginalizes his EFFORT.

So many people work harder and longer than myself. And they're more talented. Their work ethic isn't the issue; it's that the system they've adopted hinders their effort.

View attachment 51181

Want to get paid what you're worth? Change your damn system and get off the tricycle.

This is why Fastlane Entrepreneurship is the most potent SYSTEM; it's a system swap where your effort compounds and gives asymmetrical leverage a chance. A great effort in the JOB SYSTEM gives you a 4% raise. A great effort in a BIZ SYSTEM gives you a 4000% raise.

Choose wisely.
Its amazing how the right system can put you ahead of most people even if they are smarter or more talented then you.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Its amazing how the right system can put you ahead of most people even if they are smarter or more talented then you.

Exactly, as I like to say, put Usain Bolt on a tricycle and suddenly I can beat him in a foot race.

Atill

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 27, 2018

It's this...

View attachment 51181

Choose wisely.

I know that the right system starts like a baby and grows, I have experienced it many times before.

However, the system needs to be set up in the right business. Isn't that what's important? If so, how will I choose the right business model? Because the world is developing very quickly and systems can grow and die very quickly or compete very quickly. Likewise, the investment I will make in the line of business I have chosen may be older than the other jobs I missed after 3-4-5 years and I will fall behind. The most important thing is how to choose the right business model for the future and to dedicate my life to.
Kiyosaki calls this System a Formula

ChristianGDBG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jan 2, 2020
France
After deciding to re-read tmf , I read over the azur and chuma passage again and it reminded me of systems, that's why I landed here.

What kind of systems are there? @IceCreamKid mentioned leads, sales, and service/product delivery.
Are there other systems for example? I'm not certain if these systems are Business systems (like mental models for mindset/thinking). Are we talking about systems like this (Business Systems: How To Create A High Growth Business Without Burning Out And if so, are there only 4 (marketing,sales, fulfilment, admin)?

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
You can be the best employee, you can have great performance reviews, you can be the best teammate to your team.

But in the end you are only a number or a cog of a system that moves products or services.

Even if you outwork everyone or shine above the rest, it doesn't matter to some. You were only a profit-making machine for someone else.

You invest all this time and effort for what payoff?

Here's the answer:
1. To be let go.
2. To be thanked for your services and skills to which are no longer required.
3. Your income stops.
4. Your 401k is no longer contributed.

Warning to all: No job is safe, if they say you have security. Think on what they said, because it's not at all. If you see consistent restructures your company is losing profit. Dust off the resume or do something else.

-Post I made on Facebook the other day. This was when I someone from my old company contacted me to not to go back to them but an offering of a job to where I'd be doing the same thing I was doing before my layoff. I would be supporting a depreciated system that Is no longer being supported except for bug fixes from an old employer. Because "An old employer" cut off their support to the clients in a different sector.

I could command a higher salary and this would be full-time remote. Because they know I know how to work the system, but truthfully I don't know if I want to go back and do it again.

So building a system is a risk, but it's better because it could minimize the above.

I made $37 dollars an hour, they marked up the price 3x and charged that out to clients.

You do the math on who's going to be rich faster.

Last edited:

Anna13

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 1, 2023

It's this...

View attachment 51181

Choose wisely.
That made me think: the music system is a broken system - that's why so many musicians are broke. Plus it's totally over flooded. What DOES work is the TV Singer Casting Show format - now THAT'S a super system!

Singazi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 6, 2023

It's this...

View attachment 51181

Choose wisely.
Thank you for clarifying this MJ… it has cleared the dense fog in my eyes.

Part of the problem is that I have been thinking that business is a Blackbox, with luck and bad luck, mystical, and you can make it with any business endeavor and that results may be secured by a process where I apply an effort and things happen mysteriously inside the Blackbox and luckily I secure the results that I have been dreaming about that are desirable or unfortunately I don’t secure them.

Furthermore, as a civil engineer, instead of creating a system, I created my employment where I think that I am a businessperson, but I am not, I am just working like before without a boss that I am reporting to with few employees that report to me. Although that is where most business started, I think I have relaxed for too long as my own boss.... and things must change and are going to change....

WanderWool

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Sep 6, 2021
What if I am just starting out and need to work two systems, namely, a job and building a business at the same time? There will be conflicts in terms of priorities. I sometimes also feel like I am doing something wrong because most companies do not allow moonlighting - are there any principles/perspective that you use/used to navigate this?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What if I am just starting out and need to work two systems, namely, a job and building a business at the same time? There will be conflicts in terms of priorities. I sometimes also feel like I am doing something wrong because most companies do not allow moonlighting - are there any principles/perspective that you use/used to navigate this?

You do what needs to be done.

You OWN your life. Not some company.

The idea that some company wants to own your life, outside of their company paid time, is insane. That's just my opinion, not giving you legal advice.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Whats the probability of your company knowing and taking action against you if you keep quiet about it?

What is the worse case scenario of that for you? Losing your job?

WanderWool

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Sep 6, 2021
Whats the probability of your company knowing and taking action against you if you keep quiet about it?

What is the worse case scenario of that for you? Losing your job?
I don’t think that they will take action against me if I do my job properly. And yes, worse case scenario is that I will lose my job, which can prevent me from getting jobs in the sector again, which would be a bummer, because I do like my job, but I also see the importance of going the Fastlane route.

Maybe I’m overthinking it, just need to take action and solve the issues that come along the way :)

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I don’t think that they will take action against me if I do my job properly. And yes, worse case scenario is that I will lose my job, which can prevent me from getting jobs in the sector again, which would be a bummer, because I do like my job, but I also see the importance of going the Fastlane route.

Maybe I’m overthinking it, just need to take action and solve the issues that come along the way :)
Exactly I think you are over exaggerating the risk.

Intax

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2016
Munich, Germany
Thanks for sharing. Especially in the startup world a lot of people brag about how much they work but your post reminds me to take a step back and reflect if I’m working in the right system or not.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Damn, that is some tough medicine to swallow, but so true.

I've owned a "corner cafe" that sucked my time and life and left me losing everything but the clothes on my back. Then, I switched to a SAAS model which has unlimited income potential and more time freedom. I cringe when people excitedly tell me they're opening a food-service business.
McDonald's? Chipotle? Starbucks? Jersey Mike's? Denny's?

The specific industry or chosen niche really doesn't matter. None is inherently better than any other. You can find examples of killer success stories in every niche ever invented along with plenty of mom & pop stores. Just different implementations - aka business systems - between the two groups.

I'm not certain if these systems are Business systems (like mental models for mindset/thinking). Are we talking about systems like this (Business Systems: How To Create A High Growth Business Without Burning Out And if so, are there only 4 (marketing,sales, fulfilment, admin)?
"SYSTEM" in this thread's context is more like market, arena, vehicle, playing field, framework, etc. Warren Buffet version: "It doesn't matter how hard you row. It matters which boat you get in." Chief Brody version: "You're gonna need a bigger boat." Unknown: "A rising tide lifts all boats." I like boat metaphors. :)

"Business systems" are the repeatable operating procedures that allows a business to rapidly grow and scale.

Last edited:

Mkandre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Mar 15, 2020
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
That's simply part of the system.

You're in a system where if your content is questionable to the YT censors, you get removed.

Part of the system.

It is also part of the system that if you post 100 videos in 200 days, one of them might go viral and you end up with 1M subscribers and now can leverage influence.

System.

I disagree but no need to be tarred or feathered. I understand your point and it makes sense, I just see the means not getting to the end.

I would think one would be better served getting a job in a small business that makes millions. For example, there's a local HVAC company here with 100s of trucks -- I'm sure the owners are making bank. Likewise, there's a commercial RE agent here who is EVERYWHERE (the guy owns Skinwalker Ranch) -- if you get a job with these small, but big organizations, you'd learn a lot.

Then you can observe these practices.

I find it hard to believe that if I got a job up the street for Adobe at its huge corporate campus, that I'm gonna get an inside peak at these systems you mention. No, you'd be merely a cog in a wheel with no insights to gain.

It's kinda like saying that if you can become a food vendor selling hotdogs at the ballpark, you're gonna glean insights into owning a major league baseball team. Unless you're in the C-Suite (or near it) you unlikely won't find the secrets you're looking for.

These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Perhaps the only case where such experience could happen is if you get on a very early-stage SAAS startup, especially the growing ones involved in AI, where you have at most 10-20 staff and you join it with the right mentality, then you might learn quite a lot, especially because you'll be quite often on calls with the C-Suite level staff, as they won't have intermediaries in-between. Probably, the bosses will even want to hear your feedback to help them grow. Of course, you have to keep the expectations low, you probably won't be invited to be an associate, but you'll probably be like a consultant to them, which is still cool as you'll see firsthand a growing, looking-to-be Fastlane, high scaling and innovating business. It'll probably be less of a trouble because they hire remotely, so you won't have the wear-off of commuting, the organizational structure is usually flat so people take your opinions into consideration. That's the closest I can think of from having your own fastlane business.

Mkandre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Mar 15, 2020
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Well... at least your prediction is on point :rofl:

The problem is that those systems will be different for a billion dollar company vs a startup – not only are they different, they MUST be different for each to be successful. As such, your experience will only be useful if you're actually going to manage a billion dollar company at the end of it.

I've worked with hundreads of agency owners – usually those with the most corporate experience prior to starting their agency struggle mightly with running an independent business. They can't handle rejection, don't understand the priorities of a small business and so on.

A business looks very different at different stages of its lifecycle. Just like you can't learn how to be successful as a child by watching and imitating your grandfather, you can't learn how to build a startup by looking at how a billion-dollar company is run.

So... if you want to build a startup, the shortcut is to go work for one.

Personally I've always prefered the long road of learning it by myself though :innocent: :halo:
Eastern Europe is a big hub for startups, isn't it? I see tons from Tallinn, is this location chosen for tax benefits?

I agree with what you said!

I'm currently working for an AI-as-a-software startup from Tallinn and it's exactly as you said, they're small and you can see the rapid growth of it. The owners come from a consulting background, but you see that things start off quite small (the team is probably comprised of 20 people at max). Let's connect!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.